ADVERTISEMENT

Hibriten 19 Shelby 7

It's a shame and why I HATE when people say seeding doesn't matter. You can't be too too upset about the 2 out of 3 thing. Shelby just happened to draw the short straw there. Even if Hibriten, Shelby, South Point are 1,2,3 someone was going to be in the same 2 out of 3 situation.

But as a #1 Seed, South Point deserved better than getting a Top 5 team like Shelby in the second round -- and Shelby probably deserved more than just one home playoff game. Not all conferences are created equal, thus not all records can be measured at face value. You want your bracket setup so the best teams meet in the later rounds. NCHSAA needs to find a way to create balance in these brackets.

They did, they went with the power rankings which I think helped. Note, that next year they are going back to the top three teams from each conference make the playoffs regardless of records. Schools with 6-5 records crying about not making the playoffs.

Even by previous years this scenario would have played out. Undefeated conference champions would have drawn straws for place. Second place teams would have been seeded after conference champions by overall record.

I like the power poll with only conference champions being guaranteed a bid. Seed all teams by their power ranking. It could be three teams from one conference as the first three seeded teams. That is what I want but that will not happen because the schools go against it. I call BS!

Some guy named Ken from that other site was blabbing the other week that Coach Ware was heading to Gaffney.

Congrats to Hibriten. They were a class act. Also didn't realize they were so young....you guys seem poised for a back to back!

Witherspoon is one of the fastest backs we have ever seen....and we've seen a lot of running backs.

I never like to bring officiating into a post game breakdown but some of the calls tonight were tough. When we took the ball away from the Hibriten running back and were running wide open down the field and a whistle gets blown saying he was down while he never even hit the ground...that was hard to believe. We'll have to watch the game tape on that one. According to the Shelby defensive players and coaching staff that call was awful and it should have been our ball and had the play not been blown dead, 6 points for us. The chop block penalty on the two killed us as well but according to our coaching staff it was a legitimate call. Our receivers dropped wide open passes and we couldn't execute like we know how to. Our kicker missed two FGs (albeit one was tipped) which doesn't happen. DaDa gets caught from behind streaking down the field because he has a banged up wheel. Hibriten is a fantastic team. We've said all year that the only 2A team that can beat Shelby is Shelby. Mistake free ball tonight is what we needed and we unfortunately didn't do that. Again congrats to Hibriten and bring it back to the west!!

Only real complaint we have and this really has nothing to do with the game itself is that Hibriten's facilities are quite pathetic. To be a high school in 2017, be hosting a Western Finals championship game and have the game clock go out on the scoreboard just as the game starts is pathetic. An entire half with no game clock. Also to not have playclocks is a head scratcher. We recommend you take the "kept" half of the $10,000 half and half and work on those as well as the crummy visitor's bleachers. We can understand why some of your fans are embarrassed by the facilities. End of rant.

Best of luck to Hibriten.

We've never said we win them all....we just win more than anyone else.
True words coming from a 100% whole grain cry baby. Have some class.

I hope hibriton becomes a dynasty and wins 10 straight state championships

Don’t see that happening. I’m happy for the boys in Lenior don't get me wrong but unlike Shelby who pretty much reloads every year and has never to the best of my knowledge had a losing season(correct me if I’m wrong) Hibriten does have drop offs on talent and has rebuilding years. Some Shelby teams are alittle better than others but they stay steady for the most part. After the great 2010 season Hibriten fell off hard but slowly but not too slowly picked back up to were they are now. 2019 they’ll still be forecasted to possibly win conf(not hard to do ha ha)but 2nd or 3rd round and done. That may change but that’s bout what I’d predict for now.

I’ve said it before, I’d say it again and any Hibriten fan would give me a positive nod and say I’m right and that is Hibriten has came a super long way. I can remember many a seasons in the 90s and some of 2000s that they was a team that people scheduled for their homecomings, and opposing teams prob set records on sacks lol. The 00’ East Burke team as bad as they was, walked all over Hibriten and a few weeks later be losing to Crest 35 to zip in the first quarter(I’m serious lol)yeah that Crest team was good but they didn’t go very deep that year. So pretty much the community has a lot of be proud of in these days with how the program has gone and the talent that has come through.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackKnightNut
A school that wins 10 straight is probably a recruiting school. We all remember the Independence days. Kids actually living in the Indy district playing now look at em. West Charlotte, same thing. Now if what I hear is true (just hearsay) that a kid can go anywhere he wants then what’s stoping Hibriten from having a few West kids and a couple sprinkles of South talent and on one team... yeah there’s gonna be a run. East Burke an Draughn might as well not even show up lol. Black and blue won’t hold the same excitement etc. South Caldwell’s only hope is getting kids out of that massive student body to play that can be difference makers.

Don’t get me down the road with these comments, there’s some sarcasm to em.

Back to the comment bout the scoreboard and money going toward the family, yeah that was alittle low but I’m gonna assume the poster didn’t know or remember that while he posted and hit post reply. Prayers for that family.

Burkeforreal, you obviously lack knowledge on the subject.

A new high school, Rocky River, opened in 2010 and redistricted Indy. Six different head coaches in six seasons. They have had a lot of talent and a couple of good seasons but the program needs continuity in the coaching ranks.

West Charlotte, the school, is in complete disarray. Their enrollment and district have been shrunk with a lot of district students not attending. Harding became a district school, instead of a magnet only. A large section of the new Harding district was WC. Mallard Creek opening shifted the WC district, also. Both of those schools are playing Saturday.

#52 is Noah Haney, from what I've been told he wants to play baseball in college (he's a pretty good pitcher) though he has made some great strides since his sophmore year on the gridiron. I agree that he could be a beast at a D2 or of FCS school....the size is there.

A school that wins 10 straight is probably a recruiting school. We all remember the Independence days. Kids actually living in the Indy district playing now look at em. West Charlotte, same thing. Now if what I hear is true (just hearsay) that a kid can go anywhere he wants then what’s stoping Hibriten from having a few West kids and a couple sprinkles of South talent and on one team... yeah there’s gonna be a run. East Burke an Draughn might as well not even show up lol. Black and blue won’t hold the same excitement etc. South Caldwell’s only hope is getting kids out of that massive student body to play that can be difference makers.

Back to the comment bout the scoreboard and money going toward the family, yeah that was alittle low but I’m gonna assume the poster didn’t know or remember that while he posted and hit post reply. Prayers for that family.

Look at Indy now? No Tommy Knotts and 6 different coaches since 2009. Had nothing to do with recruiting. Please stop with the nonsense. Once you start winning at any level, you will attract top athlete's. You don't have to recruit. Knotts is winning State Championships in SC now. Give the guy his prop's. He's one of the greatest High School Football coaches all time. Period! He win's no matter where he goes.

I’m aware Knotts was that one of the best if not the best were he went. Hask a lot to do with that I understand. The thing is alot of folks knows during that big run at Indy that not everybody that suited up and played on that field for him actually lived in Mint Hill. Not sure what the deal was with all the ineligible players after they beat East Burke in 2007 if he or any of the staff was aware of that and tried to cover it up or not, yeah it’s in the past, doesn’t matter now, but it’d been nice for that mess to happen before they played EB. Same thing happened with Crest AFTER beating South Caldwell in I think it was 04 or 05.

The new schools and stuff popping up thank you for telling me, you guys got me on that one. I forgot bout Rocky River my buddy lives about 2 miles from the school. I thought Mallard Creek and WC didn’t share a border. Like it’s on other side of town.

I’m aware Knotts was that one of the best if not the best were he went. Hask a lot to do with that I understand. The thing is alot of folks knows during that big run at Indy that not everybody that suited up and played on that field for him actually lived in Mint Hill. Not sure what the deal was with all the ineligible players after they beat East Burke in 2007 if he or any of the staff was aware of that and tried to cover it up or not, yeah it’s in the past, doesn’t matter now, but it’d been nice for that mess to happen before they played EB. Same thing happened with Crest AFTER beating South Caldwell in I think it was 04 or 05.

The new schools and stuff popping up thank you for telling me, you guys got me on that one. I forgot bout Rocky River my buddy lives about 2 miles from the school. I thought Mallard Creek and WC didn’t share a border. Like it’s on other side of town.

CMS spent 96K investigating Indy.Superintendent Peter Gorman said the five-month investigation found no recruiting violations by Independence High football coach Tom Knotts and his staff.

Who are the lot of folk's that know? What ineligible players? You're just gossiping with zero evidence to prove your point.

Yeah, no clue. Thought it was for the school raised by the "varsity club". My apologies. Prayers for a peace beyond all understanding.

CMS spent 96K investigating Indy.Superintendent Peter Gorman said the five-month investigation found no recruiting violations by Independence High football coach Tom Knotts and his staff.

Who are the lot of folk's that know? What ineligible players? You're just gossiping with zero evidence to prove your point.

We all know it happened....it is what it is. That was 10 years ago.

Remind us again.....who is Independence?

It was actually $106k and change.

You bring up West, South all the time when it comes to Hibriten. Gets old. Give our staff credit. You must not know the rules in Caldwell County.

Ok burkey look at it like this... If you had a child that was very good at football would you send him to a 0-10 east burke? or 0-10 draughn? If he truly had the talent and wanted to play somewhere he could excel and go to college, what would you do? It may not be as much recruiting as you call it but just kids wanting to better themselves. I REALLY don't think clay and the hibriten coaches spend a lot of time searching Caldwell county for better talent, they coach what they have. Hell really if I was a 4 star running back recruit would I want to go to hibriten where I had to share carries with 5 other guys?

Ok burkey look at it like this... If you had a child that was very good at football would you send him to a 0-10 east burke? or 0-10 draughn? If he truly had the talent and wanted to play somewhere he could excel and go to college, what would you do? It may not be as much recruiting as you call it but just kids wanting to better themselves. I REALLY don't think clay and the hibriten coaches spend a lot of time searching Caldwell county for better talent, they coach what they have. Hell really if I was a 4 star running back recruit would I want to go to hibriten where I had to share carries with 5 other guys?

Yes i totally get what your saying. If I recall at some point I had a rhetorical question if Lewis and them recruite and i said afterwards I doubt it. But really nobody can look at the overall spectrum all across the state throughout the years and say this school or that school NEVER once recruited. We don’t really know. I won’t mention this persons name even though this was So so many years ago with basketball that it was told by a guy I went to college with while I was still in college that This school(won’t mention the school either ) took a boy out to a steak dinner and talked to him bout coming over when he reaches freshman year. Yeah that’s sweet of em to do that, good recruitment strategy lol, even military recruiters have done stuff like this before but not too many, but if this story really holds true, don’t know if it does not. I’m not saying it does or don’t but if it’s true then how many times has it happened elsewhere? Not saying Hibriten does this not saying that at all. What I’m saying is 10 year straight state champions hypothically speaking - not every kid on those teams that’s made things happen was actually born and raised and lived three to five to seven miles etc from the school. Recruitment? Don’t know. Transfered and moved or took a friends address? Don’t know. Why they keep winning so much? Good question when it comes to were does all the talent live, not about a coach and how he coach’s and how a team responds.

Would I send my boy who is good to a school we’re he has to share carries with 5 guys? Uhh prob not lol.

Last edited:
I know of one former athlete who lives in the Hibriten district and gave a friend's address for school so he could attend South Caldwell for baseball. I still see his car parked at his parents' house every day when I return home from work, I think he's now attending CCC&TI. Other than that I know lots of kids at Mulberry that live on the border and can choose to attend Hibriten or West. I guess it's a sore spot for some folks.

I know of one former athlete who lives in the Hibriten district and gave a friend's address for school so he could attend South Caldwell for baseball. I still see his car parked at his parents' house every day when I return home from work, I think he's now attending CCC&TI. Other than that I know lots of kids at Mulberry that live on the border and can choose to attend Hibriten or West. I guess it's a sore spot for some folks.

They got where you’re living address is. How ever they have it Districted. No option to pick without sitting out a year.

They got where you’re living address is. How ever they have it Districted. No option to pick without sitting out a year.
While technically correct, you know what I'm saying. It's really easy to put an aunt's, uncle's or grandparent's address as your residence. It happens everywhere and isn't solely happening in Caldwell County. I know you are correct about the rules and you know I am correct in that these rules are worked around by folks. That's all I'm saying.

#52 is Noah Haney, from what I've been told he wants to play baseball in college (he's a pretty good pitcher) though he has made some great strides since his sophmore year on the gridiron. I agree that he could be a beast at a D2 or of FCS school....the size is there.
From what I hear he has been having a hard decision deciding weather he wanted to play football or baseball because he loves them both so much but it's good to have options cause he is one heck of an athlete.

From what I hear he has been having a hard decision deciding weather he wanted to play football or baseball because he loves them both so much but it's good to have options cause he is one heck of an athlete.

Baseball would be the better option unless he gets a D1 offer to play football,IMO.

He doesn't have a clue about Coach Ware and Shelby or he would not say stuff like that.

He came off saying that his “inside source” told him that Lance was heading to Gaffney. Sounded like he was blabbing what his boss wanted him to blab.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT