ADVERTISEMENT

Hibriten 19 Shelby 7

Well I know you have had some good basketball teams. I saw that 2014 title game and didn't the girls win one in 2016?
Yes. Basketball is our thing. Just can't seem to get over that hump in football. High hopes now that Coach Bryant is here, but time will tell.

Reactions: my_2cents
Congrats to Hibriten. They were a class act. Also didn't realize they were so young....you guys seem poised for a back to back!

Witherspoon is one of the fastest backs we have ever seen....and we've seen a lot of running backs.

I never like to bring officiating into a post game breakdown but some of the calls tonight were tough. When we took the ball away from the Hibriten running back and were running wide open down the field and a whistle gets blown saying he was down while he never even hit the ground...that was hard to believe. We'll have to watch the game tape on that one. According to the Shelby defensive players and coaching staff that call was awful and it should have been our ball and had the play not been blown dead, 6 points for us. The chop block penalty on the two killed us as well but according to our coaching staff it was a legitimate call. Our receivers dropped wide open passes and we couldn't execute like we know how to. Our kicker missed two FGs (albeit one was tipped) which doesn't happen. DaDa gets caught from behind streaking down the field because he has a banged up wheel. Hibriten is a fantastic team. We've said all year that the only 2A team that can beat Shelby is Shelby. Mistake free ball tonight is what we needed and we unfortunately didn't do that. Again congrats to Hibriten and bring it back to the west!!

Only real complaint we have and this really has nothing to do with the game itself is that Hibriten's facilities are quite pathetic. To be a high school in 2017, be hosting a Western Finals championship game and have the game clock go out on the scoreboard just as the game starts is pathetic. An entire half with no game clock. Also to not have playclocks is a head scratcher. We recommend you take the "kept" half of the $10,000 half and half and work on those as well as the crummy visitor's bleachers. We can understand why some of your fans are embarrassed by the facilities. End of rant.

Best of luck to Hibriten.

We've never said we win them all....we just win more than anyone else.

Just so sad. Incapable of just tipping your hat without commentary on refs and facilities. So many posters on here comment on the streak and how great Shelby has been. Your just a sad dude..........The only thing pathetic is you.

Play it down however you like,,,, no one said it wasnt two great teams!! What was said is that Shelby ran into a buzz saw, and they did. You guys do understand that Shelby lost by 2 scores??

ok you're twisting and exaggerating a bit....

Buzz saw means one team dominated the game, which they did not. The TD in the last few minutes was not indicative of dominating the game either. That 19-7 is more like a 14-7 game.
The panthers won a close one.

Hibriten had a good defense, Shelby messed up with crucial drops which you can not afford to do against a good defense.

On another note if Hibriten had a functional passing game they would be as good as South Point. I would even give them the title game.

Buzz saw means one team dominated the game, which they did not. The TD in the last few minutes was not indicative of dominating the game either. That 19-7 is more like a 14-7 game.

Hibriten had a good defense, Shelby messed up with crucial drops which you can not afford to do against a good defense.

On another note if Hibriten had a functional passing game they would be as good as South Point. I would even give them the title game.
Choper , buzzsaw, butter knife, pocket knife, or witherSPOON.... Panthers more dominant team

Reactions: Yellow Jacket POY
I had a chance to hear the game back last night. Actually listened to the Shelby broadcast. FYI those two are truly a class act and I think they summed up the game the best.

Yes, there were some questionable calls, but they both felt like questionable calls on both sides. And they made sure over and over and over to emphasize that the calls weren't the story of the game and that Shelby ran into a better team last night.

Some quotes from the crew:

"That Defense? WOW. They made all the plays when Hibriten needed them the most. After the first play -- big bagel for Shelby. And this Witherspoon kid? I hope they realize just how special a talent they have here in Lenoir"

Their opinion play of the game: Noah Haney tackling Dax at the 2 off blocked punt. Not scoring there eventually led to a chop block penalty and then missed the FG. "Got to give all the credit to Hibriten. Both teams had a chop block penalty (which is never called) in goal to go situations. Hibriten made their FG and we did not"

This was the best: "Hibriten was more than a worthy opponent tonight. It's obviously a difficult loss for Shelby right now, but it's a good feeling to be able to watch the Hibriten fans and players celebrate. As strange as that sounds, I can be happy for them in this moment. We kind of get used to this and to be able to see a fanbase experience this moment for the first time, it's neat to watch."

Much respect for that radio crew.

Congrats to Hibriten. They were a class act. Also didn't realize they were so young....you guys seem poised for a back to back!

Witherspoon is one of the fastest backs we have ever seen....and we've seen a lot of running backs.

I never like to bring officiating into a post game breakdown but some of the calls tonight were tough. When we took the ball away from the Hibriten running back and were running wide open down the field and a whistle gets blown saying he was down while he never even hit the ground...that was hard to believe. We'll have to watch the game tape on that one. According to the Shelby defensive players and coaching staff that call was awful and it should have been our ball and had the play not been blown dead, 6 points for us. The chop block penalty on the two killed us as well but according to our coaching staff it was a legitimate call. Our receivers dropped wide open passes and we couldn't execute like we know how to. Our kicker missed two FGs (albeit one was tipped) which doesn't happen. DaDa gets caught from behind streaking down the field because he has a banged up wheel. Hibriten is a fantastic team. We've said all year that the only 2A team that can beat Shelby is Shelby. Mistake free ball tonight is what we needed and we unfortunately didn't do that. Again congrats to Hibriten and bring it back to the west!!

Only real complaint we have and this really has nothing to do with the game itself is that Hibriten's facilities are quite pathetic. To be a high school in 2017, be hosting a Western Finals championship game and have the game clock go out on the scoreboard just as the game starts is pathetic. An entire half with no game clock. Also to not have playclocks is a head scratcher. We recommend you take the "kept" half of the $10,000 half and half and work on those as well as the crummy visitor's bleachers. We can understand why some of your fans are embarrassed by the facilities. End of rant.

Best of luck to Hibriten.

We've never said we win them all....we just win more than anyone else.

"Only real complaint we have and this really has nothing to do with the game itself is that Hibriten's facilities are quite pathetic. To be a high school in 2017, be hosting a Western Finals championship game and have the game clock go out on the scoreboard just as the game starts is pathetic. An entire half with no game clock. Also to not have playclocks is a head scratcher"

You're late to the party on the visitor side bleachers. Yeah, we know. Tough time in Caldwell County and western NC. We don't have a big donor willing to take on that project and public funds will always be used for educational purposes first. Surely, you can understand that.

The scoreboard going out. Embarrassing? Sure. Pathetic? Come on, now. It's not a regular occurrence, just bad timing. It was unfortunate, but things happen. Home side and mountain backdrop make for a beautiful high school football setting. We're more than happy with our "pathetic facilities"

We always get questions about not having play clocks. They aren't required and as long as that's the case, we will never have them. It's a strategic thing and a very smart outlook from our coaches/administration. Hibriten plays with pace and because of that, the play clock is never an issue. We look at it is a perk/homefield advantage type thing. Keep visiting team on their toes having to keep play clock in their head. Give them one more thing to have on their plate so to speak.

Just so sad. Incapable of just tipping your hat without commentary on refs and facilities. So many posters on here comment on the streak and how great Shelby has been. Your just a sad dude..........The only thing pathetic is you.

If you say so...I know you're worried about Wake Forest. We would be too. I bet they have a punting game though.....hehe.

Shelby had two big offensive plays, first play of the game and the Brooks run. 36 and 52 from the Hibriten LB position caused havoc. Shelby's inability to sustain drives was the difference.
My biggest problem with Shelby offense is that they look for way to many BIG plays. Long bombs over and over I mean it's good to stretch the feild but over and over make for fast 3 and outs if they not working. Now Shelby did run the ball a lot last night but I think they should not look for a BIG Play every down and just try to move the ball some little at a time. Now this is just my opinion but I am not a fan of the spread offense that throw the ball every play yea I'm not old guy but I like old guy football
( 3 yards and cloud of dust )

Yep the non play clock is nothing more than a strategic move- straight from coach Cannons mouth- I don’t need our offense worrying about the play clock they just need to run plays.

Last edited:
Reactions: beamer24
Hibriten looks like a great team! should be a great game!

Fingers crossed. Both Hibriten and East Duplin finally getting to the big game (combined 0-7 in regional finals before last night) !

With all that, I think the mindset Saturday for both teams is intriguing and something to watch for. There's going to be a lot of people in Lenoir/Beulaville patting these kids on the back all week for finally breaking through and getting to this stage.

Coaches on both sides probably concerned about keeping the kids focused and continuing to play with an edge -- last thing you want it is to take the field Saturday with a "we're just happy to be here" attitude.

I can understand if emotions might be too raw for this and I'm not even sure of the relationship between Coach Lewis and Coach Ware (Shelby), but if I'm Lewis, I might reach out to Ware and get some advice on how to handle this week from a preparation standpoint.

Tassinari came in at Fullback for a few plays and blew up Shelby's linebackers. It happened right in front of me and for about 3 plays in a row it was a train wreck.
That play where him and Dax collided hurt pretty bad ( looked anyways) saw when he came to the sideline to shake out some cobwebs LoL. He's a dang good player he getting any looks?

If you say so...I know you're worried about Wake Forest. We would be too. I bet they have a punting game though.....hehe.

Worried? Nah....difference between you and me is that I get its just a game played played by kids. Its not my life's obssesion where I protest and write letters about silly state titles from 40 years ago.

If Mallard Creek wins I will celebrate with some friends and go back to work Monday. If they lose.....tip the hat, wont here a peep about ref calls or " we could have scored if". Life goes on....

Shelby is a great program. They also lost 3 games this year. Im sure you will go on and on about titles and how Shelby plays up....blah, blah , blah.

Its just a game played by kids. Win with class, lose with more class.

It was a great regional game......when the losing team has the ball at midfield with 3 mins to go down by only 6 its not a whooping, its not a buzzsaw, it's not a "better" team. It's a great regional game between two pretty evenly matched teams. Any fan in attendance knows that game could have swung either way. Catch a couple balls, take away some costly ref errors and Sheltown walks away with a win.

Just tired if people not understand what a "whooping" is.
I agree... The only “whooping” I saw last night was both sides beating up each other with hard hits and blocks... Both teams left everything they had on the field

I agree... The only “whooping” I saw last night was both sides beating up each other with hard hits and blocks... Both teams left everything they had on the field

Sounds like it was a good defensive struggle. My friends and I thought about going to see it but went to East/ND instead, which had much more offense.

Congratulations to your team Ohio and good luck in the title game.

Sounds like it was a good defensive struggle. My friends and I thought about going to see it but went to East/ND instead, which had much more offense.

Congratulations to your team Ohio and good luck in the title game.
Thanks.... After an all out blitz on the 1st Play our D shut them out... We had 2 long TD runs and 1 big pass play which led to 16 points for us.... This was probably the best high school game I saw and both teams should be proud of providing all the fans with a classic... I’m sure it was easier to watch if you weren’t associated with either school... As a fan it was nerve wracking

if hibriten beat Shelby, knocked the 4 time champs off the throne, and South point had there chance to do same. I'd say hibriten is better than both of them.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
if hibriten beat Shelby, knocked the 4 time champs off the throne, and South point had there chance to do same. I'd say hibriten is better than both of them.

Its water under the bridge now but I wonder if South Point and Shelby didn't have to play in the 2nd round what would happen? What if Hibriten had to play one of them first. 2AA west was a guantlet. It's extremely hard to beat 2 of the 3 and remain healthy. After the South Point game you could tell Shelby was banged up and not 100%. I don't think Hibriten or South Point would have been 100% either playing 2 of the 3. The team that only has to play one of them is gonna be the healthiest with fresh legs.

Yea i get it. feel same for reidsville playing these smash mouth teams when banged up, and now even more banged up. All credit to the opponents. West definately harder to go through playoff runs. but Shelby and reidsville get it done more times than not.

That play where him and Dax collided hurt pretty bad ( looked anyways) saw when he came to the sideline to shake out some cobwebs LoL. He's a dang good player he getting any looks?

Hibriten HC said they are working hard on getting 36 and 52 better looks. Thought both were big frame kids and each was really hard nosed. I think both of them are a no brainer for a strong D2 program and under the right circumstances can play at the FCS level.

Anybody ever hear number of people there?
Im thinking 8-8500

I would think that would have to be ball park. The home side has to seat 4,000 plus minimum. It was packed in in most sections and very full in others. Visitors side packed in. People standing and setting in yard chairs around the track. Great atmosphere.

The host school has a form they complete with ticket sales. The school knows how many tickets were sold. They do not account for state passes, workers, band members, or the pass list at the gate, et al. I wish the schools would list the paid attendance but they never do.

Reactions: beamer24
Its water under the bridge now but I wonder if South Point and Shelby didn't have to play in the 2nd round what would happen? What if Hibriten had to play one of them first. 2AA west was a guantlet. It's extremely hard to beat 2 of the 3 and remain healthy. After the South Point game you could tell Shelby was banged up and not 100%. I don't think Hibriten or South Point would have been 100% either playing 2 of the 3. The team that only has to play one of them is gonna be the healthiest with fresh legs.

It's a shame and why I HATE when people say seeding doesn't matter. You can't be too too upset about the 2 out of 3 thing. Shelby just happened to draw the short straw there. Even if Hibriten, Shelby, South Point are 1,2,3 someone was going to be in the same 2 out of 3 situation.

But as a #1 Seed, South Point deserved better than getting a Top 5 team like Shelby in the second round -- and Shelby probably deserved more than just one home playoff game. Not all conferences are created equal, thus not all records can be measured at face value. You want your bracket setup so the best teams meet in the later rounds. NCHSAA needs to find a way to create balance in these brackets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT