ADVERTISEMENT

Grimsley v. Butler

I never question Hales, he has rings! But at that time the backup QB was in the game, unless the staff thought the fake punt was going to score, the fake punt would have gave them nothing. They had ran it 3 straight times with that kid in the game. So maybe he was trying to pull a DABO and hoping for a big gain and get one more FG opportunity. We will never know. 3 of Grimley's scores came on missed tackles, so it was many missed opportunities. It was definitely one of those games you feel the better team did not come away with the win.
Missed tackles late in the game may be also seen as broken tackles against a team
that was gassed defensively. It was a high energy game where the battle tested teams who have played 4 quarters of tough football tend to prevail. I certainly don’t think Hale’s made his decision in anticipation of Grimsley being able to score in 24 seconds, much less 10. But 21 in a row against his defense did not bode well for OT.

The entire skill positions on Offense except for maybe 1 kid came from Page. 1QB, 2RBs, 1TE, 1 WR, 1DB/WR. Grimsley's Offense was going to be trash this year. So, they got the QB away from Page then he and others brought the entire travel 7v7 team with him. Grimsley's AD was even an asset Coach at Page so he knows what it took to get said kids enrolled on this Greensboro All Stars

The entire skill positions on Offense except for maybe 1 kid came from Page. 1QB, 2RBs, 1TE, 1 WR, 1DB/WR. Grimsley's Offense was going to be trash this year. So, they got the QB away from Page then he and others brought the entire travel 7v7 team with him. Grimsley's AD was even an asset Coach at Page so he knows what it took to get said kids enrolled on this Greensboro All Stars
Players want to play at successful programs and they vote with their feet. Page, Dudley and Northern in the past have all attracted players from outside their attendance zones and have gone on to win championships. Try sprinkling some sugar on those sour grapes, Warhead.

Reactions: GSO-Triple5
Players want to play at successful programs and they vote with their feet. Page, Dudley and Northern in the past have all attracted players from outside their attendance zones and have gone on to win championships. Try sprinkling some sugar on those sour grapes, Warhead.
Some institutions such as Charlotte Catholic and Raleigh's Cardinal Gibbons have no designated " attendance zones. "

Maybe coaches will see how important it is to keep talent, even at the high school level. Some coaches believe in having talented kids that focus on football, but many coaches believe they can coach kids up and they will be fine. Sure, you can win games, but will you win the games that matter?

So you're saying Coach Robertson who's won Championships and taken other teams to Championships wouldn't be in Grimsley's position if his entire offense didn't transfer to their biggest rival? No sour grapes here just truth

Players want to play successful programs and they vote with their feet. Page, Dudley and Northern in the past have all attracted players from outside their attendance zones and have gone on to win championships. Try sprinkling some sugar on those sour grapes, Warhead.
So you're saying Coach Robertson who's won Championships and taken other teams to Championships wouldn't be in Grimsley's position if his entire offense didn't transfer to their biggest rival? No sour grapes here

No, I am saying that Page‘s program was going in bad direction fast. Kids left the program. If your child was going to school where they weren’t being taught well, would you not go to a better school if possible?

You seem to be implying that if none of the kids had left Page, then Page would be undefeated and playing for a state championship? Doug Robertson will be just fine at Page and will soon produce a winner there.

The way the game was going I think Grimsley had the OT advantage. Their QB would have been a problem in OT plus Butler struggled their last two possessions deep in the Grimsley territory including a missed FG. I was leaning Grimsley in OT.

I think as a coach you have to look at what you still have on the field, how much gas is in your tank and theirs, and how has the flow of the game been going. I think Hales saw a lot of negatives for Butler and hoped to catch Grimsley on the fake punt. Also, how far down the field will the punt travel? Thirty yards past the line of scrimmage. Is that really going to be a difference maker?

Could've been. We'll never know. I just hate taking the games out of the kids hands like that.

You get into OT and you never know Grimsley may turn it over.

I've always believed in the higher percentage advantage. Nothing wrong with falling on sword in OT.

Only thing worse than losing is regret. You can get over losing. Regret is tougher because you never know how the alternative plays out.

It was so much disbelief on the Butler side after that play it was as quiet as it was before the Butler fans showed up.

I figured that's why Hales gambled but it's just so many things that can happen at any moment. No one thought Grimsley could get back in the game but......

Agree 1000%

I disagree because Metzger was knocked out the game and they don’t have a backup apparently. Based off where they were when the tried the fake punt they wanted to surprise Grimsley and hopefully end the game with a field goal.

Fake punts are always brilliant calls when they work. It’s when they don’t work, is when you get the. “What were they thinking?”

Last edited:
So you're saying Coach Robertson who's won Championships and taken other teams to Championships wouldn't be in Grimsley's position if his entire offense didn't transfer to their biggest rival? No sour grapes here just truth
I'm saying that he didn't care if they transferred...............

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT