ADVERTISEMENT

Grimsley v. Butler

RammanuelKant

Aug 27, 2006
I have seen Grimsley play a couple of times this year. Their defense is pretty tough and they turn people over. Good QB and multiple receiving options with decent run game that doesn’t turn the ball over.

Whats Butler strengths and weaknesses?

I think most people expect Butler to win but that trip up 85 to Greensboro for a regional final has not played well for Meck County teams. Mallard Creek, Butler, Vance, Catholic have all had issues up there.

Butler’s defense has five shut outs this year although I think they can get beat deep and have been out of position but teams haven’t made them pay.

Offensively they are really balanced now that they have opened the offense up since the Myers Park game.

I honestly think Butler would have an easier game against Myers Park than Grimsley.

Grimsley’s run defense and their deep passing game are their fortes. Simmons ratings has Butler as a 10 pt favorite, drop that to six for Grimsley’s home field. Looks like a great night of football this Friday. Rain looks to be out of here by late morning.

Grimsley will be ready and will be tough but I have to take Butler here as they been here before and they have really play well this season , The kids have really bought in

Grimsley 21 Butler 34

Grimsley will be ready and will be tough but I have to take Butler here as they been here before and they have really play well this season , The kids have really bought in

Grimsley 21 Butler 34
Have they been there before? When is the last time Butler’s been this deep in the playoffs? Give me Butler, but it’ll be by less than a TD.

Grimsley 21 Butler 34

Have they been there before? When is the last time Butler’s been this deep in the playoffs? Give me Butler, but it’ll be by less than a TD.

2016- But that has been in 4aa
Butler has not been to the Regional Final since 2013. In 2016, the lost to Vance in the 3rd round.

I agree with this thinking. Butler as a program Yes definitely...but these group of kids have not done anything yet while they have been at Butler. Last senior class to win a title at Butler was class of 2016, they were freshman during the 2012 season. One of those freshman, Duck, is now helping coach the DBs at Butler...that’s how long it has been. They do still have Hales though, and he is more than experienced. Programs like Butler & Mallard Creek have rings but the fact is none of the kids currently there had anything to do with it.

Since Butler’s last ring in 2012...
2013- reigional final loss to MC
2014- 2nd round loss to MC
2015- 2nd round loss to MC
2016- 3rd round loss to Vance
2017, 18, and 19 is a blur for some reason for my old head lol. My opinion Butler was down those 3 years in talent. I know they lost to MP one of those years in the playoffs and last season to Vance I think.

Last edited:
When you have the talent, I don't believe it matters. They don't have a lot of kids with stars beside their name, but they definitely have players. The kids will take on the identity of the Coaching staff, that have been there before. It's showing on both sides of the ball. The importance of having a coaching staff, that's familiar with how to prepare, is major. imo!

I agree with this thinking. Butler as a program Yes definitely...but these group of kids have not done anything yet while they have been at Butler. Last senior class to win a title at Butler was class of 2016, they were freshman during the 2012 season. One of those freshman, Duck, is now helping coach the DBs at Butler...that’s how long it has been. They do still have Hales though, and he is more than experienced. Programs like Butler & Mallard Creek have rings but the fact is none of the kids currently there had anything to do with it.

Since Butler’s last ring in 2012...
2013- reigional final loss to MC
2014- 2nd round loss to MC
2015- 2nd round loss to MC
2016- 3rd round loss to MC
2017, 18, and 19 is a blur for some reason for my old head lol. My opinion Butler was down those 3 years in talent. I know they lost to MP one of those years in the playoffs and last season to Vance I think.
The 2016 squad should have made it to the championship game. Throwing the ball in 13 yard line of Vance with a minute left in a tied game wasn’t smart and they lost in overtime.

2017-2019. Butler had solid defenses but the offense wasn’t good and the QB’s were not to previous standards. Add in Butler not having the same numbers and they weren’t as good

The 2016 squad should have made it to the championship game. Throwing the ball in 13 yard line of Vance with a minute left in a tied game wasn’t smart and they lost in overtime.

2017-2019. Butler had solid defenses but the offense wasn’t good and the QB’s were not to previous standards. Add in Butler not having the same numbers and they weren’t as good
Yes I still think if Hales was not suspended for the 2016 post season they probably would have won the ring that year but we will never find out

2019 Butler didn’t have a QB to their regular standards but the same QB is playing this year??? I can agree Christian Peters in 17 and 18 was a drop off from 16 with Cheek.

Reactions: btango
Yes I still think if Hales was not suspended for the 2016 post season they probably would have won the ring that year but we will never find out

2019 Butler didn’t have a QB to their regular standards but the same QB is playing this year??? I can agree Christian Peters in 17 and 18 was a drop off from 16 with Cheek.
Metzger wasn’t great last year. Usually the second year in the Butler system is when the biggest improvement occurs. He has been playing well since the MP game and he has proven that he is better than Peters.

Congratulations to Grimsley. They got punched in the mouth, stayed in the game and made adjustments to pull this out.

Butler had their chances to put this away early. Dropped deep passes when Metzger was on or Metzger off target when the receivers were open. They didn’t run the ball well which I expected. Add in an interception in the red zone and missed field goal once Metzger got knocked out the game, Butler was finished. The defense gave Butler chances to put this away but they were gassed.

I'd like to have seen the kids play it out in overtime. I think you owe it to the players to fight it out and may the best team be left standing.

I felt for the Butler kids to have fought so hard and not get the chance to battle in OT because of a fake punt.

It is true though Butler had a million chances to ice the game.

Very good atmosphere and competitive game last night. We sat on the Butler side and enjoyed the energy the fans brought with them during pregame warm-ups.

Reactions: Blue and Gold22
I'd like to have seen the kids play it out in overtime. I think you owe it to the players to fight it out and may the best team be left standing.

I felt for the Butler kids to have fought so hard and not get the chance to battle in OT because of a fake punt.

Very good atmosphere and competitive game last night. We sat on the Butler side and enjoyed the energy the fans brought with them during pregame warm-ups.
Agree 1000%

They did fight it out and the best team was left standing.
P.S. Grimsley over Charlotte Catholic East by fourteen.

Naw I think it will b CG winning by 14. Look Grimsley did what they were supposed to do and Butler didn't. Take those the dropped balls, bad play calling and mistakes Butler won that game going away. CG doesn't make mistakes, well coached and looking to make amends for last years heartbreaking loss to EF.

Y'all are 1-5 in the last 3 seasons against EF. Let's slow down.

I do have y'all beating Cardinal Gibbons though.
Beat EF twice this year after two 21-20 losses last year. Really just wanted to jerk Veejay’s chain. EF has become a benchmark and a rival. Sorry the series ends after this year.

Reactions: Veejay4
Beat EF twice this year after two 21-20 losses last year. Really just wanted to jerk Veejay’s chain. EF has become a benchmark and a rival. Sorry the series ends after this year.

I knew better. 😆 Hate to see it go away too.

My point was Butler's season came to an end on a call. Yes they had chances to put the game away but we all know that game was clearly heading to OT.

Not attempting to take anything away from Grimsley but a game that exciting only to get let down by a coaching decision would've been interesting to see go into OT.

My point was Butler's season came to an end on a call. Yes they had chances to put the game away but we all know that game was clearly heading to OT.

Not attempting to take anything away from Grimsley but a game that exciting only to get let down by a coaching decision would've been interesting to see go into OT.
Butler coach will have nightmares for a while on that fake punt, but they were gassed; QB hurt and big DE #90 as well; defense had just given up 21 straight. I understand the rationale behind that call. OT was not going to be in Butler’s favor.

Butler coach will have nightmares for a while on that fake punt, but they were gassed; QB hurt and big DE #90 as well; defense had just given up 21 straight. I understand the rationale behind that call. OT was not going to be in Butler’s favor.

OT percentages were higher than that fake punt though. We'll never know.

Reactions: RammanuelKant
Impressive choke job by Butler.
Grimsley looked bigger up front than I expected.

What’s so crazy? It’s 2021 good programs get players bad programs lose players. The program I’ve followed for almost 20 years (Butler) has been on both sides of the spectrum
Page’s program had fallen apart. They went winless this year. Lots of people want to say Grimsley recruits players, but that’s not true. Players today, and their parents, recruit programs; programs that give opportunities to win big games. Butler-Grimsley had at least ten D-1 quality players on the field. Great ballgame, and a credit to the quality programs of both schools.

Most players get recruited by other players or parents. Unfortunately, coaching staffs get involved especially in certain programs but it is very hard to prove and honestly speaking I doubt school districts want to invest time and money to find dirt on their own schools and bring negative publicity

OT percentages were higher than that fake punt though. We'll never know.
The way the game was going I think Grimsley had the OT advantage. Their QB would have been a problem in OT plus Butler struggled their last two possessions deep in the Grimsley territory including a missed FG. I was leaning Grimsley in OT.

I think as a coach you have to look at what you still have on the field, how much gas is in your tank and theirs, and how has the flow of the game been going. I think Hales saw a lot of negatives for Butler and hoped to catch Grimsley on the fake punt. Also, how far down the field will the punt travel? Thirty yards past the line of scrimmage. Is that really going to be a difference maker?

Reactions: Chopper747
The way the game was going I think Grimsley had the OT advantage. Their QB would have been a problem in OT plus Butler struggled their last two possessions deep in the Grimsley territory including a missed FG. I was leaning Grimsley in OT.

I think as a coach you have to look at what you still have on the field, how much gas is in your tank and theirs, and how has the flow of the game been going. I think Hales saw a lot of negatives for Butler and hoped to catch Grimsley on the fake punt. Also, how far down the field will the punt travel? Thirty yards past the line of scrimmage. Is that really going to be a difference maker?
I never question Hales, he has rings! But at that time the backup QB was in the game, unless the staff thought the fake punt was going to score, the fake punt would have gave them nothing. They had ran it 3 straight times with that kid in the game. So maybe he was trying to pull a DABO and hoping for a big gain and get one more FG opportunity. We will never know. 3 of Grimley's scores came on missed tackles, so it was many missed opportunities. It was definitely one of those games you feel the better team did not come away with the win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT