ADVERTISEMENT

Forward Pass

Aug 24, 2009
Is it legal to have two Forward passes if the first pass was still behind the line of scrimmage.

What happened on the play?

There was a forwarded pass thrown to a wide receiver who was behind the line of scrimmage, he than throw another forward pass for a TD. Is that not a illegal forward pass?

Reactions: FBRef
It would be. Did the wing official punch forward or backwards?

It would be. Did the wing official punch forward or backwards?
That I don’t know.

I did see the head Official in the back field throw the flag and than wave it off.

If the pass was behind the line of scrimmage. It is not a pass but a lateral. Therefore the ball can be passed to another player.
The reason the flag was thrown was because the official thought the receiver wasn't behind the LOS. After consulting with the other officials. It was determined that the receiver was behind the LOS and that it was a lateral not a pass.

If the pass was behind the line of scrimmage. It is not a pass but a lateral. Therefore the ball can be passed to another player.
If the pass is forward, it doesn’t matter whether it’s behind the the LOS or not. It is only a lateral if it is backwards. I have seen 100’s of times where the wideout goes in motion and the QB tosses it a yard in front of him as he goes by. If not caught it is an incomplete pass. Nothing else.

Reactions: Hon Dines
If the pass is forward, it doesn’t matter whether it’s behind the the LOS or not. It is only a lateral if it is backwards. I have seen 100’s of times where the wideout goes in motion and the QB tosses it a yard in front of him as he goes by. If not caught it is an incomplete pass. Nothing else.
Maybe I needed to rephrase my answer to say if the ball is behind where the QB is at and the WR is behind the QB. It is a lateral not a pass.

Maybe I needed to rephrase my answer to say if the ball is behind where the QB is at and the WR is behind the QB. It is a lateral not a pass.

ART. 5 ... A Backward pass is a pass thrown with its initial direction parallel with or toward the runner’s end line.

Often referred to as a lateral. But in the rule book only forward and backward passes is listed.

Last edited:
ART. 5 ... A Backward pass is a pass thrown with its initial direction parallel with or toward the runner’s end line.

Often referred to as a lateral. But in the rule book only forward and backward passes is listed.
Sportsnut, thanks for the explanation. And for choosing to ignore the immaturity of anonymous keyboard warriors. Officiating teaches a lot of valuable life lessons. Thanks for what you guys do.

I could have sworn that in the NC high school rule books that as long as the pass remained behind the LOS that another forward pass was legal. In fact there was no limit on how many times you could throw it forward as long as it remained behind the LOS.

I could have sworn that in the NC high school rule books that as long as the pass remained behind the LOS that another forward pass was legal. In fact there was no limit on how many times you could throw it forward as long as it remained behind the LOS.
Sorry. That is not the way it it is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT