ADVERTISEMENT

Fat Friday East Burke@Freedom

Burkeforreal

Aug 21, 2006
Not sure if you’d call this Fat Friday anymore or even a huge rivalry considering 2 more schools in county but it’s still EB vs Freedom with an array of history behind these two. As I always say when talking bout Freedom they did not lose much in the tallent pool when they built Patton but it affected East Burke more when Draughn was built.

overall series I don’t know but Freedom owns it. EB looks to have maybe 3 or 4 decent size guys with a couple difference makers in the skill set but overall that’s it. Team looked kinda small overall. Patton was weak with small running back that dispite the goose egg last night he still got yards here and there running up the middle so…..I hate to think what this beast of a FB for Freedom is gonna do. On paper and in my heart I feel it’s a winnable game for the Cavs. We’ll see.

So let’s get into this, what’s y’all’s take on this game???

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Well I didn’t figure anyone would start on this tread so I started it, maybe BurkeCountyMan woulda done it a day or two before the game but I’d beat ya to it. I can remember nights when people was parked close to the trailer park at bottom of hill behind the stadium and walking. Heard in the 70s and 80s people was parked near were Burgur king and McDonalds sits right now and walking. Getting there 45 50 min before kickoff or you wasn’t getting a seat or a decent place to stand up top. Now, THOSE were the Fat Fridays of old when they played at EB.

Last big game in EB stadium was 2007 vs Indy. Never filled it up like that since and never will. I got there 40 min before kickoff and barely got a seat. Reason for that everyone and I mean everyone that was out of playoffs showed up to watch. Besides how often does Tom Knotts and the Charlotte all stars come to town.

Games to remember - 1991 EB wins by FG by Andrew Church. 1995 EB wins by a crazy FG by Travis Jones(cancer survivor) the ball hit the goal posts, wobbled and fell over to the other side making it GOOOOOD!!!Both teams that year were in a down year so it was a sissy fight FF to say the least. Both bottom of the conference with Watauga back when they sucked)

1998 a lowly EB team that on paper was gonna get killed came out and surprised Freedom for 3 quarters. Freedom fought back and barley won.

80s games were down to the wires at times, I’d let the old timers tell that tale if they get on here and post. But most of the games were very one sided and not notable. But last years looked interesting but I wasn’t there.
Do tell guys do tell

Don't have any real knowledge about Freedom and not too much about East Burke but sometimes long-standing, cross-county rival games can be quirky. I looked on Max Preps and the Patriots had beaten EB by a point, last year. I also saw where Freedom is ranked 16th in the west in their poll (this season).
I know last year has come and gone but we lost to East Lincoln 14-6. In that game they had two key players injured including their quarterback which had something to do with it, but East was more than 6 points better than us. Seems like inter county games can be close even when their not expected to be. If EB can keep it close I wonder if they couldn't win it.

Appreciate the info guys, it’s always interesting. When Burke said they been stronger and hitting the weight room I can see that in those boys. They played and looked scrappy and tough a lot of plays against Patton but I don’t wanna start thinking that all teams look that way playing Patton either. They’re will be a size difference when the boys step out there together. There usually is when it’s FF. My senior year the captains stepped out on the field and it looked like Freedoms was all 7 inches or more taller than our captains lol. Well, it was Patrick Heard go figure. Only 2 players ever to match Patrick in size was Terry Simpson(1993) and that fella from last year.

Speed, well that’s 85 90% of the time for Freedom but not last year. Cavs had Spencer Goins, who unfortunately for this years team ,graduated and is playing college ball. Prob the 4th or 5th fastest man in school history. Dellinger their RB/my classmates son, is pretty good and can do damage when he has blocks. Of course blocking Freedom Boys will be a larger tasks fh an this past Friday.

I’m hoping hard for a EB win and snap this 11 game slump. The boys are well coached and play with a lot of heart. I’m not gonna say they’ll surprise people this year before I see this game.

Caden Buff the small Sophomore is the fastest on the team other than a player on the JV squad that move here from Florida. A good group for the future don't gauge everything by this year. still a work in progress Coach Said he is here for the long haul, so we have to stay positive..
Buff a track man? Think I graduated and ran track with his dad if it’s who I think it might be

Yes his dad is Scott he went to East Burke also. No, he should have run track last year, but baseball is what he played. Freedom looks big and fast the next few weeks EB has Daughn which is the best it has been for ever then Maiden this will be a tough few weeks for EB.

I know Scott quiet well. Hadn’t seen him in several several years. He don’t go to the class reunions. I
Might have to get on to em bout that lol. Maybe he will run track this year and help em’ out. Seen several baseball players do both if they had the speed to do so and the coaches didn’t mind. I’ll add that also to my get on to Scott list :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT