ADVERTISEMENT

Enrollment numbers updated

Draughn beat Andrews two weeks ago in 1a.
Draughn 711
Andrews 225
That's over 3 times larger.
WOW

They said no more than 64 in each class which means 7a.

64 will not work in 1a. Only 30 football schools in bottom 64.

I will take those numbers and divide them into seven classifications. See what I get.

I know one thing they mentioned when talking about this proposal was going to a more regional model. I have no idea what that means exactly-but it seems to be their plan.

If they want 32 team playoffs, the best way is to go back to subdividing. Stay with 4 classes for conferences, then subdivide and have 8 champions. Having 7-8 classes will get dicey when making conferences.
I've said before, after weeks of digging around through the numbers and team locations, etc, that keeping the 4 class divisions for the sake of conferences is the best set up.

Then take the conference champions/auto bids/and remaining top RPI till you have 192 teams. Take the 192 and divide into 6 - 32 team playoff fields based off ADM. Then take each group of 32 and divide East and West.

I might do this later with this year's playoff qualifiers and see how it works.

I've said before, after weeks of digging around through the numbers and team locations, etc, that keeping the 4 class divisions for the sake of conferences is the best set up.

Then take the conference champions/auto bids/and remaining top RPI till you have 192 teams. Take the 192 and divide into 6 - 32 team playoff fields based off ADM. Then take each group of 32 and divide East and West.

Looks similar to the pian I first posted on here 15 years ago.

North Forsyth will be going back up to 3A solidly if they keep those numbers. Having 1,100 in a conference full of 7-800 schools is insane and they still can't win it out. Ouch.

Ashe County will be going back down hopefully; shoulda never been 3A to begin with.

I think the seeding itself could use a little polishing.

Reactions: btango
ADM and classes are for all sports ... some schools my not do so well in football, but excel in other sports.

Reactions: GrizzlyDevil

That is the plan I brought to members of the board, Davis Whitfield, and others administrators a few others. Main reason was due to having a school in the 1AA playoff with basically 3A numbers. Subdividing only works to a point when you are boxed in by the actual classification. This option meant the school would be in the playoff with teams in closer to the same ADM.

Reactions: GrizzlyDevil
I see Draughn going to 2a when realignments happens in 2025 some of the 1A schools are around 500 or less we need the old conference back Foard, West Caldwell West Iredell Patton East Burke HIbriten and Draughn Bunker Hill that would be a fun conference. close travel for the schools.

Last edited:
suprised Kinston only has 699.
I was at Kinston for a Shrine Bowl combine about five years ago. There was talk of combining into one school from the three. Looks like they would have about 2,400 students and a 4A school. May make scheduling and conference logistics tough.

I was at Kinston for a Shrine Bowl combine about five years ago. There was talk of combining into one school from the three. Looks like they would have about 2,400 students and a 4A school. May make scheduling and conference logistics tough.
Geographically Lenoir County is not big, so it would make sense to have only one school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT