ADVERTISEMENT

East Wilkes at Starmount

Realfreedom

Sep 7, 2004
King
How this game has changed in such a short time. For years East was the punching bag of the Rams, yet the Cards have won the last two meetings. Last year was a blowout, will the Rams be able to keep it close and possibly sneak a win or will the Cards lay the wood to them again?

When this game comes around I always remember the Rams poster who said if the Rams lose to a Wilkes County football team I will plow the football field up. Still makes me chuckle.

Pudge, I think it goes to show the importance of the head man to building a program. The Rams had BW, the Elks had Grissom. It appears Adkins is the right man in Ronda to accomplish that task. Of course the jimmy's and the joe's he is working with are pretty good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slasher Killer
EW will come out fast amidst a decent Starmount defense. It may be East's lowest scoring game so far..That being said... i see a 3 td win by the Ronda Redbirds EW 36 Starmount 14.

Last edited:
East has definitely hit a home run with the Adkins hire...

I agree with the previous poster, the Ram defense is pretty good but it'll probably not be a match for the EW offense.

I don't see the Rams scoring 14, the offense is not very good at Starmount. But who knows...34-7....

Reactions: Realfreedom
Starmount is playing inspired ball...Just severely overmatched right now....kinda like they used to do to EVERYONE ELSE not too awful long ago....still much respect to their program.....EW 38 Starmount 0 at the half.

Good game and good win for EW. A very good showing on both sides of the ball for the Cards, enroute to a dominating win over perennial power Starmount 52-7. Lot of respect for the Starmount program. They laid out the blueprint on how teams could dominate..with superior athletes and the preparation to match for the last 3 decades in the Tri- County area.

Yeah the D was straight FIRE. Offense was business as usual...explosive and varied...scored a lot...scored fast..and let the D dictate the rest.

Will they both be 1aa?

It's iffy. Carolina Varsity does a computer made prediction every week and MA floats every week. This week and 2 weeks back they are small 1A making it deep but last week they were 1AA and had East in the western finals. Hard to say right now.

I excpected a closer game but I think it's more because East is so powerful than Starmount being bad. They are WAY better than they have been but EW's something else.

The Rams should turn it around next week vs. West Wilkes though.

I was at the game last night, East Wilkes continues to impress me, balanced , great line play and vestal , the kid is the real deal. Being a Bear fan i was thinking of what a great match up it would be. Styles make match ups. I think it would be the defenses that would decide that game. But all we can do is wait and see if the Bears go big or small. Would love to see the cards of ronda and the cards of pilot hook up again , East surry is a totally diffrent team with trevor hauser at qb. They will give the bears all they want the last week of the season. Lot of good matchups this year. Good luck to the cards the rest of the way, you have a fan in me , well unless you come to the granite city.

Reactions: Realfreedom
Gdawg74,

I agree that East Surry is a totally different team than how they were at the beginning of the season- but Trevor Hauser was only the QB for 1 game, last night they had Stephen Gosnell as the quarterback, and they were a MUCH better team than what they have been for any other game- of course they were only playing Bishop, but Gosnell’s ability to run when things break down is a weapon. It will be interesting to see what East does when Boaz returns, but I don’t think Hauser will be the quarterback again.

An East vs. East rematch would be a terrific game, although I think Wilkes is more talented, which was obvious in the first game.

Interesting how things change from week to week, i bounce around and watch alot of diffrent teams thru the season. I was headed out last night to watch mitchell and heritage, didnt work out so ended up in booneville. Left after halftime, east wilkes is good , real good really enjoy watching them . Interesting hearing gosnell was qb , although he has the ability to run it somewhat it takes away there one deep threat. Im just a fan but hauser fits the bill, thats just my opinion. The line isnt good enough to hold a block long enuff for a pocket qb to get his reads , boaz is gonna be good, is good but as a sophmore thats alot to ask. In my opinion at this level you got to have a qb that can extend the pocket, with a threat to run a bit and throw it somewhat. But of coarse im not a coach , just a fan, always easier to make assumptions when you are in the stands. But in my opinion thats what makes vestal so good is his ability to extend the pocket and turn it up field when he has to. Holder the same way at ma. Its just alot to ask out of a high school line to hold a block for eternity while a kid gets his reads. Boaz is gonna play at the next level, basketball or football yet to be determined. With his size he will have a WHOLE lot of options. The Granite Bear / East Wilkes matchup is intriging to me. Holder hasnt turned his team loose in the couple games ive seen, starters gone after 1st series of the 3rd. Styles make matcups and this game could be one for the ages

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT