ADVERTISEMENT

Athletic facilities upgrades in Yadkin, Surry, & Wilkes

Deana_King

Staff
May 31, 2001
Athletic facilities upgrades approved by the state.

Starmount and Forbush High Schools will be getting new turf football fields, track, and visitor bleachers.

East Wilkes, North Wilkes, West Wilkes & Wilkes Central High Schools will be getting turf football fields plus some other funds for some improvements at the school.

East Surry, North Surry, and Surry Central will be getting turf football fields.

Major facilities upgrades for our local high schools.

Starmount and Forbush High Schools will be getting new turf football fields, track, and visitor bleachers.

East Wilkes, North Wilkes, West Wilkes & Wilkes Central High Schools will be getting turf football fields plus some other funds for some improvements at the school.

East Surry, North Surry, and Surry Central will be getting turf football fields.

What is the time frame on the upgrades?

I think Senator Settle will be trying to get funding for Mount Airy HS in the next session. Elkin HS is located in a flood plain so I don’t think they can get turf.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
I guess the funds would go back to the state. I don’t know what the other counties want but the Yadkin schools needed new tracks and visitor seating and turf fields were added.

I think Senator Settle will be trying to get funding for Mount Airy HS in the next session. Elkin HS is located in a flood plain so I don’t think they can get turf.
I have hoped for 2 years that Mount Airy HS would get a nice turf football field. If all the area schools are getting one then Mount Airy HS should not be left in the stone age. It would be nice to have a green field year-round without ruts and holes to dodge.

Thats what EW just finished this year, actually lost a home game because the field wasnt ready for opening night. They redone it for drainage issues and holes, etc. As for the turf field, ehh, whatever I guess. I personally think the priority should be the home stands need upgrading and enlarged, granted there isnt much room left with the concessions and bathrooms on each side of the stands. There is some room towards the bathrooms but im not sure how much you would actually gain but it would be more than what we have now.

Where is the money coming from? State tax money? Federal money from Covid?? Are school districts all over the state getting the same funding? Is everyone convinced that safety is the same for both grass and artificial turf? Do these funds require some local match? What is the “life” of an artificial turf high school football field? These fields usually last 12-15 years. Will local govt commit to maintaining and replacing them?? I am assuming all of these questions have been thoroughly discussed by the local school boards involved!

I have lived in the city of Mount Airy my whole life.
I’ve payed county and city taxes for nearly 40 years.
According to the tax maps, Surry County owns the facilities at Mount Airy High School.
Mount Airy city schools may lease this property from them I don’t know.
I’m very unsure how you can allocate county funds to schools and skip over the city in this situation.

Thats what EW just finished this year, actually lost a home game because the field wasnt ready for opening night. They redone it for drainage issues and holes, etc. As for the turf field, ehh, whatever I guess. I personally think the priority should be the home stands need upgrading and enlarged, granted there isnt much room left with the concessions and bathrooms on each side of the stands. There is some room towards the bathrooms but im not sure how much you would actually gain but it would be more than what we have now.
I heard you had a very nice field and snack bar !

I have lived in the city of Mount Airy my whole life.
I’ve payed county and city taxes for nearly 40 years.
According to the tax maps, Surry County owns the facilities at Mount Airy High School.
Mount Airy city schools may lease this property from them I don’t know.
I’m very unsure how you can allocate county funds to schools and skip over the city in this situation.
I may be wrong but I would think that Surry County would have to provide the land for all County schools including Elkin & Mount Airy and not just the ones in the county.

By all means let him. If he pulled this off for this areas schools then how could anyone bash that? I've known Eddie a LONG time, great man, great Christian.

It is great but in the same token there are much more needs in the area and the schools than turf fields. The bleachers absolutely are a high need. But while he advocates for that, did he advocate for those teachers that have served those schools for 15+ years to get a worthy raise? Some of the elementary schools are in dire need of upgrades.

That's a question for him. I agree there are also other areas that need attention within the school system but lets not degrade a man for making some areas better than they have been and in some cases needed for a long time.

More information on what about 17 other counties get from the state.

There's $62.8 million in the state budget for high school sports upgrades

From HSOT

• Haha
Reactions: Swo1980 and sbbbfan
More information on what about 17 other counties get from the state.

There's $62.8 million in the state budget for high school sports upgrades

From HSOT
Oh them damn Republicans who don’t give a crap about high school sports

Anyone notice only 2 places in the East got any of this money. And one that did Washington HS already has much nicer facities than 85% of the east.

Reactions: Swo1980
Only school in Davidson County that got money is the newest school with the newest athletic facilities. Oak Grove, known as the Palace got the money for an upgrade and some schools are over 60 years old across the county. Not surprised at all as the rich get richer.

Reactions: thekidd12
Only school in Davidson County that got money is the newest school with the newest athletic facilities. Oak Grove, known as the Palace got the money for an upgrade and some schools are over 60 years old across the county. Not surprised at all as the rich get richer.

People will figure it out eventually.

Bleachers, restrooms, ADA compliance stuff I get. Field turf I do not, especially when there are more needs.

Lexington got turf and a track. Though there are greater facilities needs there.
Thomasville is getting a new $60 million school built on their current campus. The problem athletically is that the schools don’t own Cushwa Stadium. The city does. I don’t think lottery money could be spent on that. But, as I’ve said before, the current situation there isn’t sustainable.

Lexington got turf and a track. Though there are greater facilities needs there.
Thomasville is getting a new $60 million school built on their current campus. The problem athletically is that the schools don’t own Cushwa Stadium. The city does. I don’t think lottery money could be spent on that. But, as I’ve said before, the current situation there isn’t sustainable.
Does the new school include any on campus athletic facilities? I assume Brown Gym and the new multipurpose building will continue to be used for athletics.

People will figure it out eventually.

Bleachers, restrooms, ADA compliance stuff I get. Field turf I do not, especially when there are more needs.
OG actually needs visitor locker rooms. They did not build the locker rooms or field house to accomodate their own team. A few seasons ago during a game with lightning, Thomasville had to go sit on the bus since there was no visitor locker rooms.

Does the new school include any on campus athletic facilities? I assume Brown Gym and the new multipurpose building will continue to be used for athletics.
Brown Finch Gymnasium will still be the home for indoor sports. Baseball at the city owned Finch Field.

Reactions: bigtime_87
I repeat: Has all the local school boards and county commissioners agreed to maintain and replace these turf fields when the need arises??? A lot of difference in paying for natural grass and installing a new turf field. And these new fields will be used to the max!! Football games and practice, middle school games, little league games, soccer games, lacrosse games and practice, band practice and competitions, PE classes, and track meets! Google says turf fields range from $650,000 to $2,000,000 to install. And I favor the turf fields!!!

Reactions: BigRedFan27
It just shows big government said your getting turf field bc ik they were not asked about it bc I asked a coach and AD at one of these schools.

I repeat: Has all the local school boards and county commissioners agreed to maintain and replace these turf fields when the need arises??? A lot of difference in paying for natural grass and installing a new turf field. And these new fields will be used to the max!! Football games and practice, middle school games, little league games, soccer games, lacrosse games and practice, band practice and competitions, PE classes, and track meets! Google says turf fields range from $650,000 to $2,000,000 to install. And I favor the turf fields!!!
I was wondering the same thing after speaking to a member of the staff at Forest Hills Friday night. We are in the process of building an entire new Forest Hills High School and some of the money allotted for the school is going into a turf field due to long term "cost effectiveness" for yearly maintenance and upkeep of a grass field. Back when I was at FH in the 80s we spent Health/PE class helping the football coach plant grass during the off-season. 😆 🤣 😂

• Haha
Reactions: beamer24
"cost effectiveness" is interesting. With turf fields you still have to rake/fluff/vacuum and spray them. The turf lasts 8-10 years before replacement. Replacement cost is somewhere from $350,000 to $700,000. I'm not sure that turf fields save as much as we think.

Reactions: FHJackets90
Hearing a group of administrators from Yadkin, Surry, & Wilkes schools are going to be visiting 3 schools with 3 different types of turf.

In Yadkin, the visitor side bleachers will be demolished as soon as last possible home football game are played (so it could be in November/December).

Starmount with those concrete bleachers and all those big trees will require some demolition

Starmount with those concrete bleachers and all those big trees will require some demolition
All 4 of the high schools here in Union County that had opened in 1960 had concrete bleachers on one side of their stadiums or the other. All were condemned in the last few years, demolished and replaced. Piedmont got a turf field included and Sun Valley got an entire new stadium complex (thank god). I remember bugs being bad on the visitors side back in 80s due to some type of sewage run-off area.

What is funny is NFL players are trying to get more grass fields for safety... But all our local highschool's want turf for longevity and less maintance...some priorities are messed up IMO lol
Yeah, there's some newer upgraded turf that has been installed in a couple stadiums that was suppose to be an improvement. Now players are saying it's even worse. I think NY Giants/NY Jets stadium has it. Some type of "monofilament fiber" I think that's what it's called.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT