ADVERTISEMENT

east surry v mount airy

East wins by 21. Mount Airy will be able to run the ball on East it won’t be able to stop the air attack.

Mt Airy with an upset win 31-27. MA is hungry and playing harder than ES right now. They will frustrate the Pilot boys and spoil their perfect season this week

Reactions: CoachDaVinci
ES should have it pretty east. Don’t see anyone giving them problems until the State Championship

Well we played them both in back to back weeks...losing to ES 55-49 and beating MA 45-14.....Unless MA has some D backs that I didn't seen in the Reidsville game...East Surry should have no trouble moving the ball thru the air.....quick strike O.....MA has a good runner....but he won't be enough....ES 49 MA 21 is my prediction...……………………...

Reactions: Slasher Killer
TD isn’t weighing in yet? Oh.... forgot he jumped ship a few weeks ago. East wins. Those card posters early this season was just enlightening the rest of us.

TD isn’t weighing in yet? Oh.... forgot he jumped ship a few weeks ago. East wins. Those card posters early this season was just enlightening the rest of us.
I don't see anyone from either team weighing in. Cards were quit last week before facing Diamont @ South Stokes. An upset between these two schools is always possible in an emotional game. I as always will be pulling for the Bears to win ! There I weighted in :):):)

Re: East Surry vs Mount Airy. ES has a group of talented kids, obviously. However, this is big Surry Co. rivalry game and for the NW Conference Title, anything could happen. If MA can step up in the secondary and contain the ES passing game they'll have a shot...which has been a challenge for many opponents. MA has a great running game with depth and speed, unseen by ES this season. #6 their primary ball carrier, will get loose, he's had an outstanding year. #22 has been very consistent with his opportunities out of the backfield. Give either of those kids a hole and they can make it happen. Ground and Pound. Two great coaching staffs. This game may be closer than most think.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Re: East Surry vs Mount Airy. ES has a group of talented kids, obviously. However, this is big Surry Co. rivalry game and for the NW Conference Title, anything could happen. If MA can step up in the secondary and contain the ES passing game they'll have a shot...which has been a challenge for many opponents. MA has a great running game with depth and speed, unseen by ES this season. #6 their primary ball carrier, will get loose, he's had an outstanding year. #22 has been very consistent with his opportunities out of the backfield. Give either of those kids a hole and they can make it happen. Ground and Pound. Two great coaching staffs. This game may be closer than most think.
If this game is close, the playoffs may not be as easy for ES as some think.

The bears may give them a challenge. Anything can happen in this game as has been proven down though the years. East I think is focused more on the playoffs than the regular season. I seen East play once and they had two muffed punts do that against Mount Airy and it will be a closer game than most think and the unbelievable just may happen Mount Airy might win. Pulling hard for the bears.

As I sit and think people may be disappointed with the turn out of the game. Close game.

I do know Mount Airy has great Defensive Backs and Fast Runners, yet bears must continuously control the ball and get down field or it may be calling for a very long evening.

MA DBs will get absolutely torched in this one I will be surprised if they get a single stop on this East Surry offense. On the other hand they will not run the ball as well as most people think, the interior D line has been replaced with a rotation of the much bigger offensive lineman helping the run D tremendously. I think Smith will get lose once or twice for 30-40 yards but the long steady drives MA needs to win will not happen in this one. East in a route 63-7!

I can’t believe that there isn’t more MA fans on this thread insisting that they can win. They must know what’s about to happen to them even if they won’t admit it!!!

I think the game could be closer than many people expect - usually, rivalry games work that way. I look for the Bears to play free and loose since most people (other than their coaches and the players themselves) don't expect MA to win. If East can control their emotions with it being senior night, rivalry, etc, then they should win. If they get caught up in emotions and MA has a few things go in their favor then it could get interesting. I personally think it'll be close to start with and then ES will pull away, but I've seen stranger things happen.

I agree with Watchdog here, East Surry is deff the heavy favorite. Best offensive team I’ve seen in years. Boaz plays on Sunday in 5 or 6 years if he stays healthy. That being said it is a rivalry game and those tend to be interesting and tricky. Deff a trap game for the cards. I will say that the cards better get it done this year, bears are extremely young and improving every outing and from what I saw at the middle school yesterday the series will be trending in the bears favor for several years to come. The 8th grade bears are probably the best middle school team I’ve ever seen take the field, all the way down to the kicking game and I’ve seen a whole lotta football over the years. This years team is gonna be nasty next year and when this group gets there it’s gonna be several special years for the Bears

Game time temperature is 34....could make a difference in passing game. Team that's more physical. I think team that can run the ball will win.

Buzz are you implying ES isn’t physical and cannot run the football? MA averages 8.3 a rush with the best running back in the conference hands down. ES averages 8.8 a rush...
Just trying to figure out what your trying to say.

Did u read what I said. I said team runs the ball and is more physical....team implies either one that is more physical and runs the ball Friday night...

Did u read what I said. I said team runs the ball and is more physical....team implies either one that is more physical and runs the ball Friday night...
Ohhhh, just making sure there bud. Didn’t mean to falsely accuse you of implying. Just enjoy giving you a hard time.

Reactions: buzzcoach
Game time temperature is 34....could make a difference in passing game. Team that's more physical. I think team that can run the ball will win.
MA will definitely run the ball more in this game as that is not East Surry’s style. That being said the cardinals will be much more physical at the point of attack on both sides of the ball. Boaz will have all day to throw and MA will have no answer for East Surry receivers. Only advantage MA has is Smith he is a game changer and will get loose at some point he’s too good not to that being said those plays will be few and far between.

34 degrees
at ko and getting colder will make throwing and catching harder.
I agree I don’t think anyone will argue that point. But that doesn’t change the fact that it can and most likely will be done. Even if this turns into a slugfest I’d take the cards this year much bigger along the line on both sides of the ball.

Cards are the class of 1A West.this year will be tough game to win. Enjoy the ride. MA is doing a serious reload and will be special for 3-4 years coming. This year's team is very young and pretty good. Middle school team is a beast. Best I have seen in a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoachDaVinci
Cards are the class of 1A West.this year will be tough game to win. Enjoy the ride. MA is doing a serious reload and will be special for 3-4 years coming. This year's team is very young and pretty good. Middle school teacher is a beast. Best I have seen in a long time.
Keep on banking on the future I’ll believe it when I see it as for now have a safe trip to Pilot Friday and just pray you don’t have to see the cardinals twice!!

Can Bears fans stop using youth as a precursor to an excuse in the result of defeat? All kinds of teams can claim youth. Middle school football is hardly a foresight to the future. From what I’ve seen, it’s going to be awfully hard to replace Smith at RB next season. That offense runs through him. From my experience, it’s very rare that the “best middle school team” translates to the best high school team. Kids develop at different rates, loss of interest, coaching, and transfers all play an intangible role.

So some thoughts here for those who dont believe in "Youth as a Precursor". Everyone has known for years that this particular group of Cardinals were gonna be special when they reached junior and senior years. They were Little League Super Bowl Champions, Middle School Champions and now they are together as seniors and are the favorites in the West to go back to the state championship game. So our 8th grade class has a lot of talent on it and will, combined with what's there now, be really good. Elkin has had the same situation now with the Beaver brothers and their class being upperclassmen. The one thing that can kill a good class is coaching... That is for sure.

A senior laden team should beat a sophomore laden team all day every day. All I know is this , you better beat the bears on Friday night, cause it won’t happen again for a number of years. No excuses here. As far as the cards go , this is the greatest team in the history of the program, they better win it or they will be forever forgotten as the 2nd best team in the state in 2019 for years to come. I bet the story reads like the rest of their sports program reads. 2nd best girls basketball team, even with a espn ranked 5 star player. 2nd best volleyball team, extremely loaded baseball team that manages to lose in the second or third round year in and year out. Nobody remembers 2nd place. Nobody remembers the 09 bears , the 2017 bears , only the 08 bears who won it. Nobody remembers all the great rams teams, just the one who won it. Same with the elkin teams, but I sure do remember the great ones. That being said if the cards don’t live up to the hype, ummmmm , they will be forgotten, forgotten by August of next year. The cards will be lucky to beat north stokes in a few years .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT