ADVERTISEMENT

Mount Airy/Tarboro scoring updates

The West is 3-0 so far.
1A Mount Airy Win
2A Reidsville Win Their 23rd State Championship in 2023. (1st one was 1930)
3A Hickory Win
Can 4A make it 4-0 tonight ?
4A #3 Hoggard vs. #1 Weddington ?????? ( Click below about 7 PM )

Last edited:
I agree, but tarboros scheme subtracts from its talent and puts it at a disadvantage. Kinda like when the option equalizes the playing field for a team with less talent, the T offense does the opposite for tarboro.
If it ain't broke don't fix it. They play in the finals nearly every year now. Tarboro lost to the better team the last two years, just like the year East Surry beat them, they were the better team. And Tarboro will be there again next year, running the T, and doing what they do.

Im just glad I didn't waist 30 dollars to go watch this in person and chose the hickory game last night instead... I know both teams are successful at what they do and have been for years but watching the tarboro t as just a general football fan imo is boring as hell. Its like watching Tim Duncan shoot bank shots for an entire game.
Because you are what's wrong with football. Your attitude. Give me this meat and potatoes smash mouth stuff any day over that wussy crap you are talking about. Real men football in this game. Join the soccer moms at their junior league meeting monday. Pos

Well then be thankful you typically have more talent than everyone. Most 1a schools dont get the todd gurleys of the world. I hope you stick with your 4 play playbook. Pride comes before the fall and tboro has began to fall. Mt Airy is to tarboro what the retreat from russia was to Napoleon. They showed the world they could be beat and shattered their aire of invincibility. We run an old school offense, but our coach has adapted and evolved it. Your coach has not done the same.
Has begun to fall?? Ok whatever you say👍. Tarboro ran into two all time great Mount Airy teams the last two years. Yeah the play calling today was suspect but ma was the better team. To say Tarboro has begun to fall is hilarious. It seems like based on most of the comments you've made today you definitely have a bone to pick with Tarboro. Not sure what we did to hurt your feelings.

Last edited:
The West is 3-0 so far.
1A Mount Airy Win
2A Reidsville Win Their 23rd State Championship in 2023. (1st one was 1930)
3A Hickory Win
Can 4A make it 4-0 tonight ?
4A #3 Hoggard vs. #1 Weddington ?????? ( Click below about 7 PM )
THats as far as it can go. When it comes to the 4a both teams are in the EAST. I dont think anybody considers Weddington anywhere near a western region team. Same in 2a Two eastern teams in that game as well. I remember Reidsville played in the East bracket in years past. Thats close enough for me. So East vs West is even as I see it.

THats as far as it can go. When it comes to the 4a both teams are in the EAST. I dont think anybody considers Weddington anywhere near a western region team. Same in 2a Two eastern teams in that game as well. I remember Reidsville played in the East bracket in years past. Thats close enough for me. So East vs West is even as I see it.
I was thinking the same thing but when I looked it up Weddington is in Matthews, NC down near Charlotte, NC and Reidsville has always been West and is back this side of Greensboro and played in the same conference with Mount Airy back in the pre-1970s

Last edited:
Reactions: kingbluedevil
Have never considered Weddington to be an eastern team. Campus is four miles from the Meck County line. They fit right in with Charlotte schools, public and private, located nearest them.

Personally, I have always considered Richmond to be the dividing line for 4A schools or should have been several seasons.

Another game of interest is a team across the state line 30 miles in Virginia.
The Galax High School Maroon Tide Football team the Virginia State Champs—
Go Tide!!!!!
Final Score: 7 - 6

They kicked a with a 42 yard FG with 9 seconds left to win. It hit the crossbar and barely scooted across. Yes they had 2 safeties before that. What a wild game.

As has been pointed out Weddington is very close to Charlotte. In what universe is that considered an eastern team?
Also Reidsville, like Eastern Randolph, has been known to go either way depending on number of playoff teams. As I have said before, the current format with predetermined line is nicer because teams know which way they are going…

Great football yesterday

Reidsville - number 0 is all that they said he was. Best football player I’ve seen in sometime. Soft hands , size , football knowledge light years ahead of anyone I’ve seen at that age - and extremely physical

Clinton - 10 was a load , offense just not built to score at the clip that it takes to keep up with the reidsville offensive machine.

Weddington - Wow. Reminded me of the great Charlotte Catholic teams . Size up front - 2 extremely physical running backs and how about Tyler Budge. Best High School qb I’ve seen. Used to think Boaz was it but Budge looked amazing yesterday. Outside of one interception to start the game he was flawless. Left at halftime.

Hoggard
Overmatched- but the largest crowd I’ve seen at a high school state championship in NC. Rivaled seeing Massillon at home in Ohio. Monster crowd , always great to see student athletes supported in such away.

It doesn't matter what you think. Both teams are in the west.

Reactions: thekidd12
As has been pointed out Weddington is very close to Charlotte. In what universe is that considered an eastern team?
Also Reidsville, like Eastern Randolph, has been known to go either way depending on number of playoff teams. As I have said before, the current format with predetermined line is nicer because teams know which way they are going…
Weddington is west of Greensboro, High Point, Thomasville and Salisbury. Of course, they had Whiteville in the west one year. Go figure.

Reactions: thekidd12
As has been pointed out Weddington is very close to Charlotte. In what universe is that considered an eastern team? In what universe is any area EAST of Charlotte a WESTERN region?

Uh…
What the heck???
Don’t think Charlotte has ever been considered the middle of North Carolina in any capacity whatsoever…
You DO realize the NC state line doesnt end at Hickory dont you? Seems not too many people east of here are aware of that. (Many think Asheville is in Tennessee.) Fact is, the distance from the farthest west of NC (Murphy) to Charlotte is 226 miles. and a driving time of 4 hrs (more with traffic) I can drive and have driven to Wilmington in less than 8 hrs several times. (about 450 miles) Charlotte at 226 miles. by my math seems pretty much halfway to me for all practical purposes. Depending on what part of the ENC coast you're going to, (Far east to the top of the state to most population centers is a bit farther to be fair) in mileage and driving distance, Charlotte is just about halfway. from anywhere in NC , so it stands to reason that ,any point EAST of Charlotte IS east wouldn't it? Weddington is located EAST of Charlotte. isnt it? If this is true, weren't we om reality watching two EASTERN teams playing in the title game. with neither having any connection to the west whatsoever? Since there are few truly western located 4a teams these facts and figures notwithstanding, they apparently used Weddington to help fill out the WEST bracket. Thats ok if you want to pull for a compass direction (or against) thats ALL it is.

You DO realize the NC state line doesnt end at Hickory dont you? Seems not too many people east of here are aware of that. (Many think Asheville is in Tennessee.) Fact is, the distance from the farthest west of NC (Murphy) to Charlotte is 226 miles. and a driving time of 4 hrs (more with traffic) I can drive and have driven to Wilmington in less than 8 hrs several times. (about 450 miles) Charlotte at 226 miles. by my math seems pretty much halfway to me for all practical purposes. Depending on what part of the ENC coast you're going to, (Far east to the top of the state to most population centers is a bit farther to be fair) in mileage and driving distance, Charlotte is just about halfway. from anywhere in NC , so it stands to reason that ,any point EAST of Charlotte IS east wouldn't it? Weddington is located EAST of Charlotte. isnt it? If this is true, weren't we om reality watching two EASTERN teams playing in the title game. with neither having any connection to the west whatsoever? Since there are few truly western located 4a teams these facts and figures notwithstanding, they apparently used Weddington to help fill out the WEST bracket. Thats ok if you want to pull for a compass direction (or against) thats ALL it is.

Mount Airy is due North of Charlotte up I-77, where do you want to put them ?
5fb7ee9928720.image.jpg

il_1588xN.2125671444_6kk5.jpg

Last edited:
Highways and driving don't determine the center of the state

Star is the geographic center of NC.
Or Purgatory Mountain near zoo in Asheboro or near Siler City in edge of Chatham (depending on which source you have faith in)
This has been one of the weirdest and most perplexing conversations I’ve ever encountered in these forums.,,🤷‍♂️

Yes sir I do know the state doesn’t end in Hickory.
According to what I read from Murphy to Manteo is 548 miles (according to Google map) From Murphy to Charlotte is 225.8. From Murphy to Greensboro is 281.2?

Took math a looong time ago but 562.2 is a lot closer to 548 than 451.6?

And that’s by highway not straight line.

Again this has been an unusual conversation.

Or Purgatory Mountain near zoo in Asheboro or near Siler City in edge of Chatham (depending on which source you have faith in)
This has been one of the weirdest and most perplexing conversations I’ve ever encountered in these forums.,,🤷‍♂️

I've heard both. Pretty interesting. What we do know is it's not Charlotte and not really near Charlotte.

And Wilmington also isn't even the futherest eastern point. Rocky Mount, Greenville, Jacksonville and New Bern are all further east. There is a whole lot of state past the line Wilmington is on. Funny that was used as a measuring point.

Some people have a true lack of geography.

600 miles from Murphy to Buxton. The halfway point? Siler City. But yes by highway and not as the crow flies. I certainly don’t think of Charlotte as being the Eastern part of the state though. Guilford, Randolph, Montgomery or if you like roads 220/73/74 has always kind of been the dividing line for East and West.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT