ADVERTISEMENT

east surry v mount airy

I remember my Ram teams because the best ones didn’t even play for the title. 1996 had 3 Shrine Bowlers on it and a line that averaged 300-pounds. 1990 team with Carlos got a controversial call on them at Thomasville.

You have your opinion about that but most people remember good football teams.

I bet Murphy fans still talk about that team in 2001 that lost to East Surry.

Keep on banking on the future I’ll believe it when I see it as for now have a safe trip to Pilot Friday and just pray you don’t have to see the cardinals twice!!
Live it up my man! You and your big talk will be invisible in a year or two. 37-18 is the record between the two schools with MA having the sizable advantage. Facts not opinions.... Friday night might be a beat down, might not. We will see but that will just make it 37-19.

This whole thing is absolutely asinine. Everyone has their own opinions but some of you are spitting out facts, so let’s look at a few more. First their are always exceptions to every rule. 2018 Bears were best team in LL, best team in MS, and went to the 3rd round as seniors. Injuries played a role sure, I’ll give you that. EW freshman class beat the snot out of everyone through youth ball and middle school. Did they meet expectations this year? North Surry freshman won LL Super Bowl, MS league last year. Did they live up to expectations this year? This isn’t a slight to any kid or any program but rather a point and it is this. In youth league and MS whomever has the best skill player wins. The same can’t be said for a HS program. Better coaching? Better schemes? Dynamic of a team changes when you mix in players from other classes? They peaked early? All of these are possibilities when these young men get to high school is my point. The bear faithful should be excited about the current 8th grade class but be careful letting your mouth sign checks that haven’t even got financial backing yet. I wish all the young men at all the youth, MS, and HS programs the best and most successful careers they can have. They all play the greatest game every invented. Gdawg, as a side note, if memory serves me correctly, you were a Cardinal at one time and didn’t like the way some things were going, so you jumped ship and flew the coop to MA. At times you have supported the Cards and at others, been part of the most jealous and hate fueled rumors concerning them that there has been. My point is this, you left the Cardinal faithful several years ago for greener pastures so why do you care about ES or what they do or don’t have? I know the answer and it can be said with one word. I’ll let you figure it out. Good luck to both clubs Friday. I wish them both a great injury free game and a very successful playoff run. Do the Foothills proud.

Last edited:
Wide Receiver Dillon Mosley picks up PWO from NC State 4 wide receivers and a QB for the cards with ACC offers of some sort. Good luck to the bears Friday!!

Reactions: gdawg74
Can Bears fans stop using youth as a precursor to an excuse in the result of defeat? All kinds of teams can claim youth. Middle school football is hardly a foresight to the future. From what I’ve seen, it’s going to be awfully hard to replace Smith at RB next season. That offense runs through him. From my experience, it’s very rare that the “best middle school team” translates to the best high school team. Kids develop at different rates, loss of interest, coaching, and transfers all play an intangible role.

I agree with you regarding an early assumption of middle schoolers translating to upper class success. Yes, "Kids develop at different rates, loss of interest, coaching, and transfers all play an intangible role". As far as the RB replacement for Smith.... We didn't see a lot of action from many other backs being Smith was the primary this season, its suprising that underclassmen didn't get more time in prep for the 2020...however, Coach knows what's best for the team and what strategy is needed for the win. #6 Smith has been a great RB during his MA career...beginning varsity career as a freshman... As a longtime Surry Co./Foothills HS football follower, I noticed MA has another Moore in the holster. #22 Cameron Moore, as mentioned by TD-FridayNight during the WSPrep week forum.... He's a 3rd generation MA runningback. Back to his Grand dad Joe Ray Moore in the 70's -former all time MA rushing leader...his dad in the 90's Anthony Moore - current all time MA rushing leader...now Cameron. #22 with limited touches has shown to be impressive when called upon... hard runner, speed, etc.....according to MaxPreps/ Hudl, he's averaging nearly 10 yds per carry...with a few breakaway runs. Big shoes to fill, but that may be his drive. MA has many impactful players returning and should be a competitive team in the next few years for sure with its great coaching staff. Regarding this Friday night, let's all look forward to a competitive game, a coaching chess match and the kids leaving the contest healthy with their heads held high regardless of the outcome. Hopefully both squads do well in the playoffs.

Just some numbers to add to the narrative:

Reidsville went for 551 yards against Mount Airy (261 passing) and 593 against East Surry (366 passing).

Reactions: buzzcoach
Foothill head hunter, lol!!! I grew up in the mount airy school system all 12 years. I did have 2 girls graduate from East Surry. I will do one even better , I will narrow it down for you just so you get a better idea of who I am ( since you seem to know ) Everyone on here knows me. My oldest played a little tennis at east. Just a little ( wink wink ) . I can talk a little about a state championship as I coached one of my girls in two of them, We won one and lost one.My youngest played a little volleyball. ( a little ) As far as all of it goes I usually see several kids from all the local schools on my wrestling mats at some point in time in their high school careers, even a coach or two. But in all honesty once you grow up a bear you always are a bear. By the way I usually attend all the games, I sit on the 50 yard line on the visitors side, closer to the car. But in all honesty I don’t like seeing many people cause they wanna talk to much, I like to watch the game. I’m usually there about an hour early as I like to watch pre game. Can tell a lot about a coaching staff and team by the way they come out of locker room. Still amazes me how far kicking game has came in 10 years. Side note — I haven’t missed a state championship game in 15 years. In closing second favorite team is the Cards, but don’t tell nobody. I pull for them hard , just not against the bears, extreme talent comes with HIGH EXPECTATIONS , arrogant post come with sarcastic answers. Thats the reason for the comments. But I guess the truth never hurt anybody , just might hurt their feelings a little. Lmao!!!

Last edited:
So some thoughts here for those who dont believe in "Youth as a Precursor". Everyone has known for years that this particular group of Cardinals were gonna be special when they reached junior and senior years. They were Little League Super Bowl Champions, Middle School Champions and now they are together as seniors and are the favorites in the West to go back to the state championship game. So our 8th grade class has a lot of talent on it and will, combined with what's there now, be really good. Elkin has had the same situation now with the Beaver brothers and their class being upperclassmen. The one thing that can kill a good class is coaching... That is for sure.
MA’s middle school team is the real deal. Their QB is better than most JV QB’s around and they also have several really good skill players. Next year MA will be good, but barring injury I think their best stretch will be 2021 (when current sophomores are seniors AND current 8th graders are sophomores) through 2023 (when the current 8th graders are seniors). They will be really, really good for that stretch of time.

Just some numbers to add to the narrative:

Reidsville went for 551 yards against Mount Airy (261 passing) and 593 against East Surry (366 passing).

I'm not really sure where you are going with these numbers.

I didn't have a chance to see the game between Reidsville and Mt. Airy. However, in the game against East Surry, Reidsville's last drive was rather meaningless and was indulged by East Surry's defense since they were hoping the score would run out the clock.

I'm sure Mt. Airy's D will try to make East Surry's life miserable. If they can't get to Boaz, it will be a long night for the Bears.

I remember my Ram teams because the best ones didn’t even play for the title. 1996 had 3 Shrine Bowlers on it and a line that averaged 300-pounds. 1990 team with Carlos got a controversial call on them at Thomasville.

You have your opinion about that but most people remember good football teams.

I bet Murphy fans still talk about that team in 2001 that lost to East Surry.
And how did this show up on a MA vs ES thread ? Guess because it was from a PC...;)

Mount airy's run defense looks very good. Very athletic linemen and a good looking linebacker core. The defensive backs may struggle for MA looking back at the north surry game but have shown flashes of being good. Mount Airy 49, East Surry 0.

If memory serves me correct stroup would have served the bears well out on the end with penn and poindexter under center. I’ve been high on him since day one. Just think , worst case scenario bears go 8-4 lose their first play off game, next they go 9-4 10 - 4 or so , best case they upset the cards Friday night and make a 3rd 4th round and close out 12-3 or so. Not to bad for a down year. With the addition of the Griggs Hamilton facility and the youth of the bears I imagine you will see a very physical bears team next year. Last post on this thread, good luck to both teams on Friday night, hopefully emotions don’t get anybody hurt, let’s hope both teams arrive in the playoffs healthy so they can rep the northwest 1a heavy. Let’s also hope East stays west, fair is fair and that really wouldn’t be to cool, although I do think they have all the weapons they need to win in any bracket. Early prediction, bears, cards meet in 3rd round or western regional final. If cards swing East , they play the cards I n the ship!!! From what I’ve seen the bears can play with anyone that’s left in the west :) Good luck and see everyone on Saturday morning to take the smack or maybe give a little back.

Last edited:
Many people forget MA has played the season without their starting QB. Stroup has done a hell of a job in his replacement.
Hope Holden Poindexter can return next season. He passed for over 3200 plus yards his sophomore year and broke several records. Without the Greene brothers, he would not have got that many this year but he gets the ball to any receiver that can catch it. QB. Stroup either was not that good on the passing game or a problem with the receivers. I made it to the first game this year and sat behind bareman's wife. I had to leave at halftime because of a lot of back & knee pain.

Last edited:
MA has a stacked box with great athletic lineman in #55 and #76 great linebacker in #51, East won’t be able to get past those with ease, I say 35-21 MA, go bears
Mt Airy with an upset win 31-27. MA is hungry and playing harder than ES right now. They will frustrate the Pilot boys and spoil their perfect season this week

Last edited:
MA has a stacked box with great athletic lineman in #55 and #76 great linebacker in #51, East won’t be able to get past those with ease, I say 35-21 MA, go bears
There are the posts I was expecting to see. However if you stack the box Friday East Surry will not have a drive longer than 3 plays and I’m not talking about stops!! Bears will be lucky to score 10 nowhere near big enough or physical enough to execute the ground and pound style they will need to win this game!!!

There are the posts I was expecting to see. However if you stack the box Friday East Surry will not have a drive longer than 3 plays and I’m not talking about stops!! Bears will be lucky to score 10 nowhere near big enough or physical enough to execute the ground and pound style they will need to win this game!!!
MA is far times more physical and stronger than East

And how did that work out against Reidsville (45), N.Surry (38), West Stokes (20), Starmount (27)? MA should be a better team than they were earlier in season, however they also haven't faced any serious competition since Reidsville.

Yes see he is new and probably an ES fan doing what MA fans haven't been posting. Even an ES fan posting a MA win 49-0. LOL did he not read his name he started as ES fan eastsurryfan4 and he is new with that being his first post . Can't get the Bears to brag about a win so saying MA is winning big so the cards are making their own posts against themselves. LOL ... Was that you ESODcards with another name ? Also, Mrmisunderstood45 is a new poster, no dought from ES... ROFLMAO

Last edited:
Yes see he is new and probably an ES fan doing what MA fans haven't been posting. Even an ES fan posting a MA win 49-0. LOL did he not read his name he started as ES fan eastsurryfan4 and he is new with that being his first post . Can't get the Bears to brag about a win so saying MA is winning big so the cards are making their own posts against themselves. LOL ... Was that you ESODcards with another name ? Also, Mrmisunderstood45 is a new poster, no dought from ES... ROFLMAO
Not me although it would be comical.

Could anyone imagine Pilot Mountain tomorrow night if Mount Airy wins. The game is played on the field not on paper. A lot of East Surry fans have already penciled them in as conference champs, Western regional champs and state champs would be huge disappointment in pilot if bears win. Go bears!

Reactions: sbbbfan
Could anyone imagine Pilot Mountain tomorrow night if Mount Airy wins. The game is played on the field not on paper. A lot of East Surry fans have already penciled them in as conference champs, Western regional champs and state champs would be huge disappointment in pilot if bears win. Go bears!
I’d imagine there’d be disappointment if that happened Tarheel1970...but then the sun would come up on Saturday and everyone would move on to the next game. If the Cards win tomorrow night there will be great excitement in Pilot Mtn...but then the sun will come up on Saturday and everyone will move on to the next game.

Probably be in the same boat MA was in, in 2016 when the Cards went into MA and stunned the unbeaten Bears. Revenge would be served in the playoffs reguardless.

Tonight is the night all the talk will be settled on the field. Will the Cards continue their expected dominance or will the bears shock the state and pull off the upset.

No way East loses with 5 D1 athletes and MANY more D2 and D3 prospects!!!
I saw on video that East Surry put their starters back in last week against South Stokes up 63-14 with little time left in the 4th quarter to stop them from scoring with a running clock.

That's classless

Last edited:
No way East loses with 5 D1 athletes and MANY more D2 and D3 prospects!!!
I saw on video that East Surry put their starters back in last week against South Stokes up 63-14 with little time left in the 4th quarter to stop them from scoring with a running clock.

That's classless
I can totally see where you’re coming from, but how about this for another perspective: the backup D was put in and they got gashed immediately for a score. The very next time South has the ball the backup D gets torched again for a big gain. Maybe the message was being sent to the backups that you can’t just go through the motions when you get into the game, you have to EARN your playing time.

Again, I can completely understand why that would be viewed by some to be classless from the outside perspective, but coaches have the right to send messages to their own players. Could it have been done another way? Maybe. Do you happen to know who South had in on offense throughout the 4th quarter? Was it their offensive starters or their backups?

I can totally see where you’re coming from, but how about this for another perspective: the backup D was put in and they got gashed immediately for a score. The very next time South has the ball the backup D gets torched again for a big gain. Maybe the message was being sent to the backups that you can’t just go through the motions when you get into the game, you have to EARN your playing time.

Again, I can completely understand why that would be viewed by some to be classless from the outside perspective, but coaches have the right to send messages to their own players. Could it have been done another way? Maybe. Do you happen to know who South had in on offense throughout the 4th quarter? Was it their offensive starters or their backups?

South has 24-28 kids, they had most of the non starters in. Down by 49 points with a running clock, wouldnt they want to move the ball and get something positive out of the night. Teams that have that many players struggle to have backups. I heard from a certain East Surry person it was personal. Whatever that means.

Regardless that's classless!

East had starters in the whole game against MA. Still throwing the ball up 42-10.
And who did MA have in the whole game? Their starters too (the ones who hadn’t gotten injured). If ES was trying to run it up they would have called a timeout at the end of the 1st half after the 3rd down stop on MA. When ES got the ball back after the MA field goal they had a short pass, Boaz ran for a 1st down (and slid once past the line to keep the clock doing), then they took a knee in victory formation to run out the clock. Don’t try to start any crap saying ES was running it up on MA.

East had starters in the whole game against MA. Still throwing the ball up 42-10.
Common now if East wanted to run up the score they could’ve scored 70+. Every time they went deep it was a house call. They clearly did not want to embarrass MA any worse than they did.

The only thing I know is the Seniors are gone after this year I think Bears take back advantage next season so don't brag to much

The only thing I know is the Seniors are gone after this year I think Bears take back advantage next season so don't brag to much
I’m sure the Bears will be so much better next years since they’re losing Smith. Who happens to be there only offensive weapon.

With 3 minutes to go up 30 points I would have pulled my seniors off the field so they could celebrate on the sidelines in front of the fans. Congratulations to East they won the game and have a great team. .

South has 24-28 kids, they had most of the non starters in. Down by 49 points with a running clock, wouldnt they want to move the ball and get something positive out of the night. Teams that have that many players struggle to have backups. I heard from a certain East Surry person it was personal. Whatever that means.

Regardless that's classless!

East our the starters back in during the 3rd quarter and it was to send a message to the back-ups. That was very obvious if you were paying attention to the sideline at that time.

classless? How about the ole ball coach at South not shaking anyone’s hands even when players tried to. That was classless, but I wouldn’t expect anything better from him and his son.

Diamont was pissed bc es was up big at end of South Stokes game and south was getting ready to score so Lowman calls s TO and puts Starters back in that's why Diamont was upset. ES will get theirs for years to come bc he has played like this all year. Studs will be gone and back to reality. MA has 7 SR and 20 sophm ES has 17 srs. No way we should win that game. Classless Cards as always. Diamont was the class act of ES along with Barry Hall.

Buzz, respectfully stop crying. MA has lost only 3 games this year. Your team just put up how many points a few weeks ago on Bishop. It would have been bad if ES beat you guys that bad. Your team is young....we get it...heard it all year. You still have a very good team. Let ES relish in having the best team around for decades..with so much talent, without everyone hearing about how young MA is in the next sentence.

Reactions: footballstar_17
Blowing a team out doesn't necessarily mean that you ran the score up. Sometimes it can't be helped short of ending a game early. Mitchell scored 49 points in the 1st quarter against Madison. That's all the starters played. Madison fumbled the ball on their own 17, 16, 12, 5 and 4 yard line in the 1st quarter. I have heard all season about Lowman putting starters back in to stop a team from scoring. It's classless, and just like North Stanly last year, it will come back around...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT