ADVERTISEMENT

East Lincoln 13 Pisgah 10

OVERRATED to the max. Mountain football is very weak and play totally different style then city teams
Perhaps I don’t think people realize there’s not as many “mountain” teams so there’s less chance of a mountain team winning a state title. Out of all the high schools in the state I’d only classify approx 40 as mountain teams. Mountain teams are historically slower although now then other teams. But that’s not to say you never see speed in the mountains (ask some Shelby fans about Pisgah game 06) but it’s hard for it to be consistent. The game has changed a lot, 20 years ago nobody lined up 5 wide and spread the field. Football is all about match ups, and who has the most success exploiting those matchups. Most mountain teams don’t want a track meet and most “city” teams as you put it, don’t wanna line up with 3 tight ends and have to try and gain two yards up the gut.

Perhaps I don’t think people realize there’s not as many “mountain” teams so there’s less chance of a mountain team winning a state title. Out of all the high schools in the state I’d only classify approx 40 as mountain teams. Mountain teams are historically slower although now then other teams. But that’s not to say you never see speed in the mountains (ask some Shelby fans about Pisgah game 06) but it’s hard for it to be consistent. The game has changed a lot, 20 years ago nobody lined up 5 wide and spread the field. Football is all about match ups, and who has the most success exploiting those matchups. Most mountain teams don’t want a track meet and most “city” teams as you put it, don’t wanna line up with 3 tight ends and have to try and gain two yards up the gut.

Very good post pal. You hit the nail on the head. Speed kills.

Were are all the pisgah homers? All season talking about state championship long playoff runs. Come on milltown what's your excuse.
Lol come on Bud...im franklin thru and thru..we played hard and lost to a better team in bandys

Reactions: 1SWO
Lost in all this back and forth talk is the fact that them East Lincoln Mustang's came to play!!!! Great win boys. Congratulations to Pisgah on a heckuva season. Appreciate the hospitality. I've been trying to tell people all week that East Lincoln is a better team than their record indicates. But hats off to Pisgah on a great game. Hell of a defensive battle. To bad someone had to lose.

Lost in all this back and forth talk is the fact that them East Lincoln Mustang's came to play!!!! Great win boys. Congratulations to Pisgah on a heckuva season. Appreciate the hospitality. I've been trying to tell people all week that East Lincoln is a better team than their record indicates. But hats off to Pisgah on a great game. Hell of a defensive battle. To bad someone had to lose.
Congratulations on your win sir! If you take out the sting of the upset it really was a great game, separated by 3 points on the field but in reality what looked to be about 3 to 4 inches on Pisgahs failed 4th down attempt. Good luck next week and also prayers for the young man from EL I believe number 92, injury late in the game did not look good from someone who’s had a few knee injuries looked like it just buckled on him while trying to adjust to catch a pass. Hopefully looked worse than it really was and the young man recovers quickly.

Lol come on Bud...im franklin thru and thru..we played hard and lost to a better team in bandys
You got to admit even back in August told them this was going to happen
Got to give chapell credit he did excellent job with this team. Chapell needs to be at a school like Erwin or asheville or even tcr school with athletes.

I guess ol Herm Edwards is right. This is why we play the game. Good job by E.L. keeping it close and capitalizing when they needed to. Bears will lick their wounds and try again next season. Good luck to whomever is left in the playoffs. See y'all next season.

Congratulations EL. Hard fought win. Definitely a better team than your record. Congratulations Tuscola. Hope you guys win again next week. I guarantee you that our players won't be at your game next week pulling against you in the other teams student section. Good luck.

Reactions: Pure7 and PBBear51
Pisgah your coach cost you this game. Why in the hell do you not punt football on 4th down after EL just used up all their timeouts. Yeah lets go for it and try to seal the game and if we dont give them only 32 yards to beat us. Plain STUPID! You have to punt that 1 away and make them go from further back. With no timeouts left and only scored 1 TD in the game up till then, odds are the wouldnt. Dumb coaching move!
I didnt think Pisgah deserved that #1 seed anyway. But this and the way Hibriten simply destroyed EH last nite while Pisgah only beat them by 14 proves that point itself.

Pisgah your coach cost you this game. Why in the hell do you not punt football on 4th down after EL just used up all their timeouts. Yeah lets go for it and try to seal the game and if we dont give them only 32 yards to beat us. Plain STUPID! You have to punt that 1 away and make them go from further back. With no timeouts left and only scored 1 TD in the game up till then, odds are the wouldnt. Dumb coaching move!
I didnt think Pisgah deserved that #1 seed anyway. But this and the way Hibriten simply destroyed EH last nite while Pisgah only beat them by 14 proves that point itself.
I dont agree with the call, east was beating pisgah up front all night.

LoL if that's true, he def cost them the game, he should be let go on the spot

He's not winning a state title at Swain anytime soon either, not with Tarboro around and Wallace Rose Hill probably moving back down in 2021.
Murphy would be good job for him when gentry leaves . pisgah with 3a numbers it's going to be hard for him to be successful

Well well well the day after and a few vultures still around. Good to see mr.bud has to be up before 12 on a Saturday lol prob didn’t sleep while loving himself with Us finally losing. As for Chapel leaving maybe but it won’t be to swain why take the pay cut? I watched the game again this morning and a few thoughts, 1. Pisgah was almost dared to throw the ball several times 4 was running to the line of scrimmage at almost every snap from his safety spot. You have to get vertical on plays to at least keep him honest and make them respect that. 2. Referees were a wash bad calls both ways the holding call on the TD Pisgah had called back was questionable but I could see that call being made. 3. 13 being DQ last night was the right call however how EL didn’t at least get a personal fall in that squirm is beyond me (didn’t decide the game) and Pisgah prob missed 13 as a punter more than anything else rest of the game. I think we decided to go for it on the last 4th down more because they were afraid EL would get the next punt they almost got the one just prior. And 4. Lastly holy cow the kid from EL has a sack on the last play of the game and I’m not sure if he thinks he hears a whistle or what but turns lose of Pisgahs QB and immediately starts to celebrate allowing Pisgah to get a throw to the end zone that very nearly is caught but kid is stripped on the way to the ground almost a very bad mistake. Great game if you were a defensive football fan. EL was just better last night and made one more play. Good luck to them

Murphy would be good job for him when gentry leaves . pisgah with 3a numbers it's going to be hard for him to be successful
You guys need to drop the he’s moving to a smaller school especially at the end of the day the guy is not trying to move to a bigger job in the NCAA he’s a high school coach at the end of the day he’s got a family to feed not going to take a job with a pay cut to take a CHANCE at winning state just not going to happen. Maybe if his kids were grown and money isn’t a issue

You guys need to drop the he’s moving to a smaller school especially at the end of the day the guy is not trying to move to a bigger job in the NCAA he’s a high school coach at the end of the day he’s got a family to feed not going to take a job with a pay cut to take a CHANCE at winning state just not going to happen. Maybe if his kids were grown and money isn’t a issue
Gentry made/makes bank at Murphy, money would be a non factor. Doesnt matter though because Murphy will stay in house when Gentry retires and even if they didnt I wouldnt want Chappell at Murphy.

Gentry made/makes bank at Murphy, money would be a non factor. Doesnt matter though because Murphy will stay in house and even if they didny could do better than Chappell, jmo.
The numbers came out this year if pay in WNC football coaches you should have a look at them Gentry makes bank for a 1a school no doubt but it’s a pay cut check it out

OVERRATED to the max. Mountain football is very weak and play totally different style then city teams

Not all mtn teams are like Pisgah. Look at Reynolds, asheville, hendersonville, Erwin, etc. They can play with those teams anyday. Doesn't matter though. No team with onslow is winning anything this season.

I'm Bino. Of course I'll be here, to talk actual football and while we have some of the best coaches in wnc, i aint here to be the Coach's cheer squad (Just cause youre on the chain gang doesn't make you a cheerleader). I'm sure you'll be on here shaming anyone who questions any of the coaches decisions brother....
Oh my gosh jolly you've hurt my feelings..... You can bet I'll be here... I bet your not around next year... Hey..it's on to basketball ...good luck... I never see you post about that.. so long daddy O.

Not all mtn teams are like Pisgah. Look at Reynolds, asheville, hendersonville, Erwin, etc. They can play with those teams anyday. Doesn't matter though. No team with onslow is winning anything this season.
same Hendersonville Pisgah hung 50 on this year?

Last edited:
You know there’s a lot of Pisgah hate on here like Pisgah has traditionally been a bad program. I don’t keep up with our posters and maybe some gloat to much I can’t answer for that. I routinely said this year Pisgahs ceiling was conference champs and maybe 3rd round of the playoffs. The D was going to have to be lights out because we couldn’t put points on the board most of the year.
That’s not to say Pisgah has never had teams that could not compete
02 we were strong went to the 4th round and on the best team I personally ever played on lost a dog fight at Bandys
06 Pisgah goes undefeated on the year loses the best game I’ve ever seen in person in Canton to state champion Shelby.
Several other teams have made 3rd round and had plenty of talent maybe not state contenders but good ball clubs. This team imo over achieved won a lot of games that the D had to carry a young O on as they should have with 9 seniors on D. No knock on the QB but when most teams start a sophomore at QB your going to take lumps in hopes he gets experience and excels the next couple years and I think you’ll see him do just that.
I’ll make a prediction that if cards fall just right and the group stays together in 2020 that team has a chance to actually contend and I’ll get beef for saying it but with several sophomores getting experience at varsity level this year and JV program going undefeated I could see it happening

Last edited:
The numbers came out this year if pay in WNC football coaches you should have a look at them Gentry makes bank for a 1a school no doubt but it’s a pay cut check it out
Those dont tell the story of what Gentry made, not even close. He makes that now but it's because he's retired as a teacher and retirement pay isn't factored in, same for Pursley on that list. Just look at Gentry's stipend compared to the rest and you get an idea of what he was bringing in before retirement as a teacher. The only one's whose stipend were even close are Pursley and Chappell. So like I said if Murphy really wanted Chappell when Gentry retires from coaching, money isn't the deciding factor. But they will stay in house, so it's an irrelevant discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: knine1 and 1SWO

Only one powerhouse program in Onslow and it's SWO. We shall see if they can win it all. East 2a bracket is a monster. Time will tell, keep sleeping on SWO

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT