ADVERTISEMENT

East Davidson Football HC

If that’s true, it will only add to the cliquishness and drama that has surrounded East for a long time.
I went directly to a couple of staff members who aren’t in the athletic department to ask them what they knew about the “drinking buddy” hypothesis. They confirmed that it was no secret. I had higher hopes for that principal. I didn’t think she’d follow this path. You’re absolutely right. This will divide an already divided place. Tune in this fall… the buzz on Lake Road every week will be about coming to see the marching band. Everyone will leave after their halftime performance.

I went directly to a couple of staff members who aren’t in the athletic department to ask them what they knew about the “drinking buddy” hypothesis. They confirmed that it was no secret. I had higher hopes for that principal. I didn’t think she’d follow this path. You’re absolutely right. This will divide an already divided place. Tune in this fall… the buzz on Lake Road every week will be about coming to see the marching band. Everyone will leave after their halftime performance.
Like I stated before, there is absolutely no loyalty at that school. After this has transpired, if I was a coach at East I would be doing so looking over my shoulder. With this kind of mess going on at East I would say that it is going to be very difficult for them to fill the stands this fall. A lot of the coaching staff, players and community do not support this decision at all. Coach McClamrock has fully "EARNED" the right to be the Head Coach at East Davidson. His resume speaks for itself. I plan on being at a few games this fall and I can almost guarantee you that my voice will be heard, no doubt about it.

Like I stated before, there is absolutely no loyalty at that school. After this has transpired, if I was a coach at East I would be doing so looking over my shoulder. With this kind of mess going on at East I would say that it is going to be very difficult for them to fill the stands this fall. A lot of the coaching staff, players and community do not support this decision at all. Coach McClamrock has fully "EARNED" the right to be the Head Coach at East Davidson. His resume speaks for itself. I plan on being at a few games this fall and I can almost guarantee you that my voice will be heard, no doubt about it.
The new hire is completely unproven. Hanner did a lot with a roster that lacked the skill of some other programs and still managed to maintain an upward trajectory. I don't know the new guy personally, but they've set him up for failure. If you don't have the support of the EDHS community, they'll cut you off at the knees.

McClamrock would have run the program much like Hanner ran it. For East, that's the best scenario that they can hope for. If I were him, I'd look elsewhere because the admin has poisoned the well for him.

The new hire is completely unproven. Hanner did a lot with a roster that lacked the skill of some other programs and still managed to maintain an upward trajectory. I don't know the new guy personally, but they've set him up for failure. If you don't have the support of the EDHS community, they'll cut you off at the knees.

McClamrock would have run the program much like Hanner ran it. For East, that's the best scenario that they can hope for. If I were him, I'd look elsewhere because the admin has poisoned the well for him.
I think it is going to be very difficult for the new coach to put together a coaching staff. I see Coach McClamrock moving on as well as some other assistants who do not support this decision as well.

I think it is going to be very difficult for the new coach to put together a coaching staff. I see Coach McClamrock moving on as well as some other assistants who do not support this decision as well.
I'd agree. The #1 conclusion that an outsider could draw from this scenario is that he isn't fit to be a head coach due to some unknown/implied circumstance. I know that is not the case. I can't imagine coaching under the new guy under these circumstances.

I just don't understand it. It's not like East is trying to maintain, or even resurrect a successful program. Hell, West Davidson has had more success than East. (albeit a few decades ago)

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
I don't know the principal all that well. I'm sure she means well... but the sheer lack of thought or foresight has me reeling. A couple of awkward situations have been created:

1- Football at East, even though it is at best mediocre in their successful years, still drives the athletic program monetarily. Gate receipts are still good for football. A controversial hire, when there was an obvious and capable homegrown candidate, is a real threat to the gate. This could actually fire up the fans (not the band fans who will be there regardless) and have them sit home to prove a point. Losing a few thousand dollars a game isn't something that East can afford to do. Same with sponsorships. They tend to have a large amount of banners handing from yearly donors. I'd bet most of them see McClamrock as the better candidate since they are also tightly connected to the community.

2- Awkward interactions between AD(s) and head football coach. Thousands of dollars a year go back into the football program even with the simplest of things. Helmets have to be replaced at over $300 apiece. Maybe as many as a dozen a year. Footballs have to be purchased. Those interactions have to happen between the football coach and the athletic director. I can't imagine that being a good relationship from here on out.

As I've been typing, I've had several other scenarios pop into my head as well. I'll spare everyone from having to read any more of my diatribe... but gosh. East really doesn't need to make their athletic existence HARDER. It isn't easy to win over there. They are surrounded by strong programs on at least two sides in the county. A few of their teams (soccer at the moment) are doing well. I wish them the best, but they've got to quit shooting themselves in the foot.

I don't know the principal all that well. I'm sure she means well... but the sheer lack of thought or foresight has me reeling. A couple of awkward situations have been created:

1- Football at East, even though it is at best mediocre in their successful years, still drives the athletic program monetarily. Gate receipts are still good for football. A controversial hire, when there was an obvious and capable homegrown candidate, is a real threat to the gate. This could actually fire up the fans (not the band fans who will be there regardless) and have them sit home to prove a point. Losing a few thousand dollars a game isn't something that East can afford to do. Same with sponsorships. They tend to have a large amount of banners handing from yearly donors. I'd bet most of them see McClamrock as the better candidate since they are also tightly connected to the community.

2- Awkward interactions between AD(s) and head football coach. Thousands of dollars a year go back into the football program even with the simplest of things. Helmets have to be replaced at over $300 apiece. Maybe as many as a dozen a year. Footballs have to be purchased. Those interactions have to happen between the football coach and the athletic director. I can't imagine that being a good relationship from here on out.

As I've been typing, I've had several other scenarios pop into my head as well. I'll spare everyone from having to read any more of my diatribe... but gosh. East really doesn't need to make their athletic existence HARDER. It isn't easy to win over there. They are surrounded by strong programs on at least two sides in the county. A few of their teams (soccer at the moment) are doing well. I wish them the best, but they've got to quit shooting themselves in the foot.
I don't know the principal all that well either. One thing I do know is this. By her making that dumb decision it just goes to show you that there is an empty seat on every space ship!!!

Never coached, but I’d be very wary of any search committee that didn’t include the AD. That’s the person most head coaches work most closely with.
I 100% agree. Is he on staff as a teacher, that wasn’t mentioned in the article?

Last edited:
If Brock Edwards lasts 3 years, I’ll be surprised. Heck, he might even be a one and done.

yikes. the guy clearly doesn't have much coaching experience, much less ready for a head gig anywhere, even if it is East Davidson. McClamrock and the others should go elsewhere in county. and how is the actual AD of the school not included in the hiring process? he's an idiot for sticking around too. East Davidson is a dumpster fire with marginal (at best) talent. That's not a recipe for success long term for most any coach, much less one that doesn't have the experience.

The way they treated Hines made it so this situation isn't surprising in the least. That was a good coach and they wouldn't even let him bring on any assistants he wanted

Reactions: PrepFanNC
If Brock Edwards lasts 3 years, I’ll be surprised. Heck, he might even be a one and done.
Still trying to figure out what attention to detail in a hardware store has to do with coaching football. I'll give it one year. The thing that East better be worried about is attendance in the stands come fall. It is my understanding that football is the largest money maker for high school.

Still trying to figure out what attention to detail in a hardware store has to do with coaching football. I'll give it one year. The thing that East better be worried about is attendance in the stands come fall. It is my understanding that football is the largest money maker for high school.
You are absolutely right. Football drives the athletic budget for the entirety of East Davidson program. Some schools make a little money with basketball or maybe even with baseball or softball... but Friday night football games is what earns the most money. There will be some businesses that pay for signage and such, but even that doesn't compare. Athletics are expensive... especially the ones that most don't think about. Golf and swimming for example. I don't know what East pays for swim practices, but I know other area schools that are paying between $50 and $75 per practice at local YMCAs. Don't forget the $1+ per mile that each school must pay for activity bus mileage for games. Athletics is a never-ending fundraising challenge.

I will always hope for the best for East Davidson. A wonderful community. I hope this doesn't damage their athletic program as badly as I fear that it will.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT