ADVERTISEMENT

Early Predictions 4A/4AA Playoffs Third Round

mrhonda

Nov 12, 2012
Last Week, I went 13-3. For the playoffs, I'm 43-5.

For the games this week, I've included the seeding of the team, which is the first number in parenthesis and the final ranking in my Top 25. This number is the second number in parenthesis of a team. The picks are below:

4A East

(4)(Unranked) Cardinal Gibbons(12-1) at (1)(12) Cape Fear(13-0)

Cardinal Gibbons is averaging 43.5 ppg and giving up 23.1 ppg. These teams have no common opponents. This is the Crusaders’ first game against a Top 25 team.

Cape Fear is averaging 41.1ppg while allowing 15.3ppg. They are coming off of a 35-34 overtime win over 20th ranked West Johnston.

In the playoffs Cardinal Gibbons is averaging 50.5ppg and giving up 27.5 ppg, with Conley scoring 42 of those points in round 1. They held New Hanover to 13 points last week in a 31-13 win.

Cape Fear, in the playoffs, is scoring 48.5 ppg while giving up 18.5 ppg. That was lifted up by the 34 points scored by West Johnston in Cape Fear’s 35-34 overtime win last week.

Prediction: Cape Fear 45 Cardinal Gibbons 31

(6)(Unranked) Hoggard (8-5) at (1)(4) Scotland (13-0)

Hoggard is averaging 30.31ppg while allowing 23ppg. Scotland is scoring 40.2ppg and giving up 8.23ppg.

The teams have one common opponent. Hoggard lost to New Hanover on Sept. 30, 34-21, while Scotland defeated New Hanover 40-14 on Sept. 16.

Hoggard is coming off of a 65-41 playoff win over J.H. Rose. Scotland is coming off a 66-28 win over Southeast Raleigh.

In the playoffs, Hoggard is averaging 51.5ppg, but are giving up 37.5ppg. Scotland is scoring 56.5ppg while giving up 18ppg. But that average is the tale of two games. They held New Bern to 8 points while Southeast Raleigh scored 28.

Prediction: Scotland 35 Hoggard 13

4A West

(2)(2) Dudley(12-1) at (8)(1) Davie(12-1)

This is one of two battle of titans in 4A west. Dudley is coming into this game averaging 43.7ppg while giving up 9.15ppg. Davie is averaging 33.6ppg and allowing 14.2ppg.

These two teams played each other on Sept. 2, with Dudley winning 32-6. They have one common opponent. Davie defeated Page 39-29 on Aug. 19, while Dudley lost to Page 23-22 on Oct. 28.

Dudley is coming off of a 55-20 playoff win over Watauga. Davie, last week, defeated A.L. Brown 38-19.

During the playoffs, Dudley is averaging 53.5ppg and allowing 14ppg. Davie is scoring 40ppg and giving up 16.5ppg.

Prediction: Dudley 28 Davie 25

(2)(10) Charlotte Catholic(12-1) at (1)(6) East Forsyth(12-1)

Since an opening 20-13 loss to Charlotte Christian, Catholic has reeled off 12 straight wins. For the season, Catholic is averaging 39.9ppg while giving up 11.3ppg. East Forsyth is scoring 41.1ppg and allowing 12.5ppg.

These two teams have two common opponents in Harding and Mount Tabor. Catholic defeated Harding 46-12 on Sept. 30 and East Forsyth defeated them 43-20 in round one of the playoffs. Against Mount Tabor, East Forsyth defeated the Spartans 22-6 on August 19, while Catholic defeated them last week in the playoffs, 48-14.

During the playoffs, Catholic is scoring 51.5ppg while giving up 10.5ppg. East Forsyth has scored 46ppg and allowing 15ppg.

This is a very tough matchup to call. Catholic runs a potent offense that’s difficult to prepare for, if you haven’t seen it. To me, their defense is underrated. East Forsyth is benefitting from home field, along with going to 4A, after playing in the 4AA West regional last year, taking state champ Mallard Creek to overtime. A definite battle of titans.

Prediction: East Forsyth 30 Charlotte Catholic 25

4AA East

(3)(25) Heritage(11-2) at (1)(11) Wake Forest(13-0)

This is a rematch between in town and Cap-8 rivals. These two teams played each other on Oct. 15, with Wake Forest taking the win, 26-13. The Cougars are currently on a 25 game winning streak against Cap-8 opponents.

Heritage comes into the game averaging 28.7ppg while giving up 10.6ppg. Wake Forest is averaging 38.4ppg and allowing 5.4ppg.

Heritage is coming off of a tough playoff win over a tough Pinecrest team 25-21. Wake Forest is coming into this game after a hard fought 7-6 win over Laney.

In the playoffs, Heritage is averaging 21ppg while giving up 17.5ppg. Wake Forest is averaging 31ppg. This is misleading, as the Cougars scored 56 against Panther Creek, but could only manage 7 against Laney. They are only giving up 3ppg, shutting out Panther Creek and only allowing 6 against Laney.

Heritage would love to move on and end the Cougar’s winning streak against conference teams.

Prediction: Wake Forest 28 Heritage 16

(2)(13) Garner(12-1) at (1)(9) Middle Creek(13-0)

This is a rematch of a Sept. 5 matchup that Middle Creek won 30-10. They have on other common opponent. Garner defeated Cary 53-12, while Middle Creek defeated them 65-0.

Garner is averaging 45.2ppg and giving up 10.46ppg. Middle Creek is averaging 47.5ppg and allowing 7.1ppg.

Garner is coming off an impressive 54-37 playoff win over Richmond, though Garner allowed 37 points, which is a season high for them.

Middle Creek defeated Sanderson 45-7.

During the playoffs, Garner is averaging 51ppg while giving up 18.5ppg, on the strength of the 37 point scored by Richmond. In their first playoff game, Garner shut out Green Hope 51-0.

Middle Creek is averaging 43.5ppg in the playoffs and giving up 3.5ppg. They shut out Wakefield 42-0 and defeated Sanderson 45-7.

This is a game of eastern titans.

Prediction: Middle Creek 34 Garner 24

4AA West

(4)(16) West Forsyth(11-2) at (2)(7) Page (12-1)

West Forsyth comes into this game averaging 29.8ppg and allowing 16.5ppg. Page is averaging 44.1ppg and giving up 16ppg.

These teams have several common opponents; Davie, High Point Central, East Forsyth, and Reagan.

West Forsyth lost to Davie 20-3, while Page lost 39-29. Against High Point Central Page won 65-20 as West won 35-7. Against Reagan, West Forsyth won a hard fought game 21-13 and Page won 49-7. Against East Forsyth, Page won 34-21, while West Forsyth lost 23-10.

West Forsyth is coming off of a 35-17 playoff win over previously unbeaten Lake Norman 35-17. Page, struggled early but defeated West Mecklenburg 55-26.

During the playoffs, West Forsyth is averaging 31.5ppg and giving up 21ppg. Page is scoring 47ppg and allowing 20ppg.

The winner of this one goes to the very tough West Regional finals. Should West Forsyth win, they would travel to either Vance or Butler.

A win for Page, keeps them at home if Vance defeats Butler, but sends them to Charlotte should Butler prevail.

Prediction: Page 38 West Forsyth 23

(3)(3) Vance(12-1) at (1)(1) Butler(12-1)

This is a game of major titans. Vance is coming into this game averaging 51.2ppg and giving up 19.2ppg. Butler is averaging 45.2ppg and allowing 13ppg.

For common opponents, they have Independence, Mallard Creek, Hough and Myers Park.

Vance defeated Independence 52-14 on Sept. 16. Butler defeated them 49-3 on Nov. 4. Vance defeated Mallard Creek 38-21 on Oct. 14. Butler lost to Mallard Creek 35-20 on Aug. 16, but defeated the three time defending state champs last week, 42-28. Vance defeated Hough 41-17 on Nov. 4, while Butler defeated them 21-10 on Sept. 16.

In the playoffs, Vance is averaging 51ppg and allowing 31ppg. Butler is averaging 52.5ppg and giving up 14ppg. 28 points were given up against Mallard Creek last week, as they shut out McDowell the previous week.

If Butler wins, they have a date in Charlotte for the regional finals. If Vance wins, they’re at home with a West Forsyth win over Page and are on the road if Page wins.

Prediction: Butler 41 Vance 35

Did Garner's running back play the first time vs. Middle Creek? I think this game will be closer this time around. I'm also not going to sleep on Vance. That would be my upset special of the week.

Did Garner's running back play the first time vs. Middle Creek? I think this game will be closer this time around. I'm also not going to sleep on Vance. That would be my upset special of the week.
From what I understand, he missed the first game with Middle Creek.

Gotoredd

google Middle Creek HS....then use google map. You can just enter Raleigh on google map then when map of Raleigh shows up, then enter Middle Creek HS. Google map will get it for ya!

I appreciate the work and time you probably put into your "polls " and whatnot, Mister Honda, so since you don't " need " to pick the events with MIster Simmons' line, I'll do it for you to save you some time.
-- Mister Simmons has Cape Fear minus 13, and you have them minus 14, so you have Cape Fear minus 13.
-- Mister Simmons has Scotland County minus 28 and you have them minus 22, therefor you have Hoggard plus 28.
-- Mister Simmons has Dudley minus 4, and you have them minus 3, so you have Davie plus 4.
-- Mister Simmons has East Forsyth minus 6, and you have them minus 5, so you have Catholic plus 6.
-- Mister Simmons has Wake Forest minus 13, and you have them minus 12, therefor you have picked Heritage plus 13.
-- Mister Simmons has Middle Creek minus 9, and you have them minus 11, so you have Miiddle Creek minus 9.
-- Mister Simmons has Page minus 13, and you have them minus 3, so you have West Forsyth plus 13.
-- Mister Simmons has Butler minus 8, and you have them minus 6, so you have picked Vance plus 8.
P.S. Good luck picking games with the line, Mister Honda.

I appreciate the work and time you probably put into your "polls " and whatnot, Mister Honda, so since you don't " need " to pick the events with MIster Simmons' line, I'll do it for you to save you some time.
-- Mister Simmons has Cape Fear minus 13, and you have them minus 14, so you have Cape Fear minus 13.
-- Mister Simmons has Scotland County minus 28 and you have them minus 22, therefor you have Hoggard plus 28.
-- Mister Simmons has Dudley minus 4, and you have them minus 3, so you have Davie plus 4.
-- Mister Simmons has East Forsyth minus 6, and you have them minus 5, so you have Catholic plus 6.
-- Mister Simmons has Wake Forest minus 13, and you have them minus 12, therefor you have picked Heritage plus 13.
-- Mister Simmons has Middle Creek minus 9, and you have them minus 11, so you have Miiddle Creek minus 9.
-- Mister Simmons has Page minus 13, and you have them minus 3, so you have West Forsyth plus 13.
-- Mister Simmons has Butler minus 8, and you have them minus 6, so you have
picked Vance plus 8.
P.S. Good luck picking games with the line, Mister Honda.

So, what exactly is your point? That I can't possibly have the ability to pick games without the help of Simmons Ratings? Or that, because I don't use Simmons Ratings, what I do is not as legitimate? Or that I'm not a native North Carolina guy, that makes what I've done have no legitimacy? Just wondering what your point is.

Again , Mister Honda, I appreciate the time and effort you bestow upon your polls and prognostications, and no, I don't think because you're not a North Carolina native this shoots a hole in the legitimacy of your work. My ONLY point is that it's a whole lot more difficult to pick athletic events picking them with the line versus picking winners.

Again , Mister Honda, I appreciate the time and effort you bestow upon your polls and prognostications, and no, I don't think because you're not a North Carolina native this shoots a hole in the legitimacy of your work. My ONLY point is that it's a whole lot more difficult to pick athletic events picking them with the line versus picking winners.
I use lines a general guideline. My record for the playoffs in picking winners is 43-5 so far. I use lines but the point spread in those lines, is the most important thing.

The line IS the point spread, Mister Honda. They mean the same damn thang. Let's say potential automobile purchasers saunter upon the car lot and you happen to see them lookin' at the upholstery, gazin' at the new eight track tape player that's improperly installed at the Car Factory , they're probably kickin' the tars, checkin' out the paint job, and as the last corner of cheap gin is ingested, you make your way to the obviously just married couple. William Bob suddenly looks at you and blurts, " What's the line on that East Forsyth slash Catholic game, Mister Honder, " and before you can give his inquiry a thoughtful response, Muffy, William Bob's petite wife says in her Nebraskan accent, " What William Bob really means, Mister Honder, is what's the point spread on said event ? " They mean the same thang, don't they,Sir ?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT