ADVERTISEMENT

Dudley?

Aug 24, 2009
There is speculation coming out of Greensboro that Dudley may have to forfeit a game or games.

The article can be found on GreensboroSports.com

Because of the 8 quarter rule. Would they have to forfeit thier first round game. This happen to south Mecklenburg and crest a few years back.

This post was edited on 11/11 8:27 AM by 84k

Tweet from spencer Turkin, espn triad radio.

@Turkin35: #Sources Confirm Dudley Football is INELIGIBLE for the NCHSAA Playoffs due to 8Q Violation. Dudley's season is over, Ragsdale onto 2nd round

This post was edited on 11/11 10:07 AM by Sportsnut17

Originally posted by Sportsnut17:
Tweet from spencer Turkic, espn triad radio.

@Turkin35: #Sources Confirm Dudley Football is INELIGIBLE for the NCHSAA Playoffs due to 8Q Violation. Dudley's season is over, Ragsdale onto 2nd round
Spencer Turkic is the director of ESPN Triad

This is intresting because if a JV player played against Southeast, I can see them just vacating the conference championship and taking a loss and then be re-seeded alla Northern Guilford last year they had to forfiet two games and the kids didnt even play but they dressed out, but to bump them out the playoffs is too much, heck give Southeast the W and let our boyz play

Originally posted by DudleyPowerHouse2002:
This is intresting because if a JV player played against Southeast, I can see them just vacating the conference championship and taking a loss and then be re-seeded alla Northern Guilford last year they had to forfiet two games and the kids didnt even play but they dressed out, but to bump them out the playoffs is too much, heck give Southeast the W and let our boyz play
Too late to re-seed. Northern Guilford was caught mid season so it did not matter. Dudley if they do not win their appeal they are done.

Make them play away 1st week and reseed after that.

Punishment doesn't fit the crime for wanting to get soph's some pt on varsity.

Yeah from the looks of it im not holding my breath, from what im hearing its not looking good I feel bad for the players if this falls through

Problem is they discovered it after the seeds had been made. If it had been reported after the game it would have resulted in a forfeit only. 100% on the coaching staff. Costly mistake to wait in the reporting.

8 quarter rule: Not something that can be passed off, look at the chain of command that must be field out prior.

EIGHT QUARTER PARTICIPATION

: In emergency or "lack of depth" situations only, fresh-man
and/or sophomore junior varsity football players will be
allowed a maximum of 8 quarters per season of "on the field"
play as a varsity football player. This is an allowable
exemption from the rule counting dressing for a game as
participation in a varsity contest and will enable a junior
varsity player to be available for emergency or lack of
depth participation in the varsity contest.
The intent of the rule is to give coaches some alternatives
for junior varsity players to continue to gain value game
experience at the junior varsity level and still be available
as a backup player in the varsity game.
The following conditions must be met:
• A maximum of 12 different players may be 8-quartered during
the regular season.
• Such players must be pre-determined prior to dressing for
participation-completion of the 8
Quarter Pre-Approval Form containing signatures of a licensed
athletic trainer or medical doctor, principal, athletic director,
and parent/legal custodian. (If a designated player or players
participated in the junior varsity contest, medical information
shall include evidence that player(s) is adequately hydrated and
void of injury that would render player(s) unfit to play.)
The form must be filed at the school and with the conference
president on the day of the scheduled game.
• Following the game, a status report on the designated players
must be completed which shall include the names of all freshman
and sophomore junior varsity football player(s) designated and
dressed as emergency players and report the number of quarter(s)
in which each athlete actually played. Any portion of a quarter
equals a quarter played. If a player dresses out but does not play,
record as "0" quarters played. Form must be signed by coach,
athletic director and principal and submitted on line to the NCHSAA
by the first school day after the varsity contest.
• Anytime a JV player must be used as a starter on the varsity team,
that player is eligible for either the next JV game or varsity game.
• $500 fine for failure to submit follow-up form to NCHSAA.
• If your school's JV Football game is:
•Cancelled - you may not use the 8-quarter rule for Friday's varsity football game.
If a JV player participates in the varsity game, it will count towards
the maximum allowed 11 games per for an individual; therefore no 8-quarter paperwork
would need to be filed
• Postponed - you may use the 8-quarter rule for the Friday varsity fooball game. Submit
8-quarter paperwork as usual.

Originally posted by beamer24:
Make them play away 1st week and reseed after that.

Punishment doesn't fit the crime for wanting to get soph's some pt on varsity.
It was actually a JR who played on JV then in a varsity game for the final two plays vs SEG is what i saw on twitter.

I hope Dudley wins the appeal to harsh of a punishment it seems for that violation.

Just doesn't seem right, just days before the playoffs one of the state's best teams ends their season this way.

They wont win the appeal and its brutal for the kids but I just don't get how this happens and doesn't get caught until the following week?? Surely they knew the kid played and the rule is very well known. There isn't a HS football coach in NC that doesn't understand this .

This is Bs I don't care
What people say if the appeal don't go though I can't respect this yrs 4A champ wrong is wrong I can see forfeiting
1 game but knocked out the playoffs that's Bs it's not hard to switch seed that's bs

Originally posted by beamer24:
If it was a JR then that stupidity on the coaches. Still punishment doesn't fit crime.
The N&R reports it was a junior.

We have seen a lot of forfeits due to this rule! I have never lined it but understand the reasoning.

Due to this being reported after the playoffs were seeding and the penalty being a forfeit the culprit us out of the playoffs.
That is too harsh for the violation. Send them on the road for all games. Reseed after the first round. We push participation and to take care of the kids but this us not looking after the kids!

Did the opponent from Friday night report them this week. If so that is a disgusting final result in getting a win.

Originally posted by btango:
We have seen a lot of forfeits due to this rule! I have never lined it but understand the reasoning.

Due to this being reported after the playoffs were seeding and the penalty being a forfeit the culprit us out of the playoffs.
That is too harsh for the violation. Send them on the road for all games. Reseed after the first round. We push participation and to take care of the kids but this us not looking after the kids!

Did the opponent from Friday night report them this week. If so that is a disgusting final result in getting a win.
Grom the Greensboro News & Record.

""My story has been the same since the first time I was asked about it," he said. "Friday at the game against Southeast, we had a junior who played JV. He was a kid we moved up once the JV season was over. With about a minute to go in the game, I had a defensive tackle (Anaz Morehead) who tore his MCL (medial collateral ligament). On the first play after that, we played with 10 guys on the field and one of my coaches noticed that we had 10 players on the field. With about 45 seconds left, we're yelling for someone to go into the game. This kid ran into the game for two plays -- it's on film -- and someone from the Southeast camp decided that they would send that in to get us disqualified."
This post was edited on 11/11 11:11 AM by Sportsnut17

As a person very close to the situation i can tell you exactly what happened. Southeast guilford coaches submitted the tape Monday morning after all seedings were done to the state. After dudley went on a 44-0 run to the end the game coach Davis and his staff had their team lining up on the 50 yard line to shake hands. A dudley player got hurt and dudley only had ten players. The coaches said yelled that they needed a player and the kid ran out there on defense just to play. He was a running back that played defensive tackle for the last 2 plays of a blowout win. The coaches didn't even realize he was truly in the game until after the game. The spitefulness out of southeast coaches to this for the last TWO plays of a game where the result of the kid running out on the field had no bearing on the result of the game. It was 38 seconds left in the game. What coach wants to win a conference championship that way? No respect will be given to southeast for winning the conference championship that way and none will respect them as conference champs! The score was 50-21. Coach Davis is one of the best coaches in the state and one of the most respected coaches in North Carolina! Coach Davis runs a class act program and doesn't even like to embaress teams! When his panthers get up by a sufficient lead, he always pulls his horses out of respect for the other schools and coaches. But don't worry Southeast is going to get theirs for this! can't wait to next year! Dudley is holding NOTHING BACK! Dudley is still 25-0 in everyones book. Coach Davis rewarded a young man who didn't play the year before for doing all the things Coach Davis required him to do to be apart of the program again. Terrible situation! Go PANTHERS!!

This post was edited on 11/11 11:17 AM by Supermanklt

Originally posted by Supermanklt:
As a person very close to the situation i can tell you exactly what happened. Southeast guilford coaches submitted the tape Monday morning after all seedings were done to the state. After dudley went on a 44-0 run to the end the game coach Davis and his staff had their team lining up on the 50 yard line to shake hands. A dudley player got hurt and dudley only had ten players. The coaches said yelled that they needed a player and the kid ran out there on defense just to play. He was a running back that played defensive tackle for the last 2 plays of a blowout win. The coaches didn't even realize he was truly in the game until after the game. The spitefulness out of southeast coaches to this for the last TWO plays of a game where the result of the kid running out on the field had no bearing on the result of the game. It was 38 seconds left in the game. What coach wants to win a conference championship that way? No respect will be given to southeast for winning the conference championship that way and none will respect them as conference champs! The score was 50-21. Coach Davis is one of the best coaches in the state and one of the most respected coaches in North Carolina! Coach Davis runs a class act program and doesn't even like to embaress teams! When his panthers get up by a sufficient lead, he always pulls his horses out of respect for the other schools and coaches. But don't worry Southeast is going to get theirs for this! can't wait to next year! Dudley is holding NOTHING BACK! Dudley is still 25-0 in everyones book. Coach Davis rewarded a young man who didn't play the year before for doing all the things Coach Davis required him to do to be apart of the program again. Terrible situation! Go PANTHERS!!
I have just lost all respect for Southeast Guilford....I hope Catholic gets them in round 2 and drags them around like a rag doll if HP Central does not do it first. Classless losers....wow. Coach Davis, those players, and this community do NOT deserve this....

Hey aint nothing new at Dudley we use to getting screwed I just ask that next time they use some lube or at least take the kids out to dinner

This post was edited on 11/11 11:24 AM by DHS06CENTER69

I just feel like someone is using Dudley to set an example. So many people hate when 4A teams use the 8 quarter rule. Punish a few, and they quit, right? BLAH! Whiners win again.

I can't imagine how the Dudley kids feel today. Work so hard for many months for a high school dream and something as simple as this steals the dream. If indeed it happened as stated above, I feel even more sadness for the player who volunteered to close out the game in the last two plays. I really hope the kids on the team and at school understand he was only trying to help.

Coaches should not suit up these kids who are a risk to infractions. There are a lot of coaches on the sidelines who may not be aware of each players situation pertaining to 8 quarters or other rules. A junior who played the night before should not have pads on, jersey only.

This post was edited on 11/11 11:25 AM by Godevilsgo

I have two different perspectives on this issue. My first is that this rule is complete crap!!!! I can see the punishment if it gives the team a clear advantage. We dealt with this last year and it was some garbage. You want to show sportsmanship by not embarrassing a team and use some of your weaker kids and then punish teams for doing so. These are kids were talking about, that work hard and sacrifice so much to play this game and it's foolish that thus rule is in place. I HATE this for the kids!!! Let them PLAY.

Secondly, With all the dicipline that those kids are subjected to, how they have to follow the program by the letter of they law many times lacking GRACE and humility from the adults. This is KARMA. Myself being an alum, I won't air my families dirty laundry, but what ever happens this needs to be a wake up call!!! BECAUSE at some point you will want the same grace and mercy that you wouldn't give to others. In life we don't like to reap what we sow, but we will. If a kids must without question follow all the rules a program has served forth and deal with the negative consequences then shouldn't the program? It was an error, it was a mistake, is what they say, but what about the kids error or mistakes? Is the same level of mercy given that you now request? And Adults made thus mistake not Kids... Kids make mistakes and should be handled with a tad bit more grace than some get. Davis, I hear is improving his soft skills with the kids and others need to follow. What's good for the Goose should be good for the gander... Karma is tough especially when it hurts kids!!!!!!

NCHSAA let them kids play!!!!

The issue is not that 1 kid played at the end of a blowout. They dressed 4 ineligible players. Making it into the game doesn't mean anything the NCHSAA.

What sucks is the way it went down and who reported it. Is everyone certain this wasn't self-reported? That they were in fact turned in by SEG? Would SEG know who the other 3 players were that didn't touch the field?

A little info that will come to light very soon before everyone passes judgement. This kid dressed in multiple varsity games this year and played illegally in more than just this game. A junior cannot even dress for a varsity game if he played JV the same week, or it is an automatic forfeit. Once the NCHSAA does their review, Dudley will lose more than just the SE game. One it sucks for the kids that their coaches don't know or follow the rules, regardless if it is a stupid rule. It is their job to know and understand those things. Should the SE coaches have reported it? Hard to judge because the kids get screwed at this point.

It's a shame these kids will not get to continue in the playoffs and with their season.

Know the rules and follow the rules.

Still seems like scum for the SEG coaches to report this after a blowout lose. If thats the case why not report it friday night or saturday, hell even sunday, so seeding could be re-adjusted

Originally posted by Champ_24:
If thats the case why not report it friday night or saturday, hell even sunday, so seeding could be re-adjusted
100% agree.

By all accounts, Dudley is a flagrant, consistently repeating violator of this rule and should absolutely be kicked out of the playoffs.

Coach Davis should either, 1) Bother himself to take the time to learn the rulebook, or 2) Develop enough common decency to play by the same rules that everyone else plays by.

This post was edited on 11/11 12:15 PM by hokiemtc

I have been told by a few people that it was SE Guilford who reported it and that they knew if they waited till Monday it would ban Dudley from the playoffs.

Not true Cougs, it wasn't discovered until Monday. Again, it sucks for the kids, no doubt. But how long can Dudley continue to ignore the rules like hokie posted until something is finally done. If GCS goes digging deeper into the going ons of not just the football program but other programs at Dudley, then they will find A LOT more issues than a junior dressing for 2 games in 1 week. Ask SW Guilford, Southern Guilford, Ragsdale and Grimsley about where some of the best players in their athletic programs have gone.

I don't think the coaches would have done anything like this intentionally. Folks have to stop thinking that because a team is successful they are cheating. The rule itself is stupid. If no clear advantage is gained, who cares. Davis wants another state championship, he wouldnt do that. To think otherwise is a tad bit idiotic.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT