ADVERTISEMENT

Could There Be A Referee Problem in The NCHSAA ???

I’ve made an effort not to fuss at officials on the sideline this past season. Worked out a lot better in my stress level. LOL I’ve started to see the effects of not having enough officials.

I only ask for consistency. For example, I had a crew tell me I couldn’t take a timeout to allow a player to re-enter game after losing helmet and the next week another crew told me I could.

Reactions: FBRef
Yes, Teachers & Refs need more pay and to be held accountable for obvious bad calls and Teachers not doing their jobs ..... Not says teachers don't but there are bad workers in all jobs out there, no matter what type of work is done.
I agree. I also look at the fact that sometimes parents deal with a lot at home, I can just imagine the stress in the classroom.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Yes, Teachers & Refs need more pay and to be held accountable for obvious bad calls and Teachers not doing their jobs ..... Not says teachers don't but there are bad workers in all jobs out there, no matter what type of work is done.
Officials ARE held accountable for bad calls. Go out and blow a rule interpretation that swings a game? NCHSAA is going to suspend you for at least 1-2 weeks of games and ding you ineligible to work playoffs for that year. Judgment calls are more of a gray area, but the guys who show repeatedly poor judgment usually end up either getting "marked off" (blacklisted) by most schools, or else not assigned games. If an assigner gets constant complaints about an official, he usually is either going to can him, or only assign him when he is stretched thin on numbers.

Officials ARE held accountable for bad calls. Go out and blow a rule interpretation that swings a game? NCHSAA is going to suspend you for at least 1-2 weeks of games and ding you ineligible to work playoffs for that year. Judgment calls are more of a gray area, but the guys who show repeatedly poor judgment usually end up either getting "marked off" (blacklisted) by most schools, or else not assigned games. If an assigner gets constant complaints about an official, he usually is either going to can him, or only assign him when he is stretched thin on numbers.
If 1 or 2 are caught with several bad calls at one game, does the public ever hear about or is it never released even if it is a playoff game ? I say I dought we will be told, but it should be told even though it will not change the game outcome. ! !

Reactions: Sportsnut17
To give the losers an excuse. Oh wait…..they do that already.
There is no excuse for 1 or 2 Refs at that game . I know too many people that know there were blatantly bad calls at that game. I know for a fact the 9 years I was a photographer for the newspaper that there were times I was standing with the sportswriter and saw calls and asked one another if that was even close and both agreed it was a bad call, I mean not close and sometimes It was the same Ref. So I know it happens and is meant to be a bad call. we never said anything to the coaches or Refs as we did not want to be involved. Again bad calls that had to be done on purpose ! So no one will convince me that they are now worse now. There were 2 Refs dirty in that game and gave themselves away by something they sad that was overheard by several people. I hope they get replaced. My bet is they will never be allowed back at Mount Airy if they still are Refing next year. They will be afraid to come back or MA will not accept them. There are more good Refs than bad but those 2 did not belong in the playoffs maybe only PEE WEE, LOL

Last edited:
  • Haha
Yeah and well the last thing we need is people to get ahold of information they don't need and use that to run down officials and make threats and lord knows what.
If they are routinely bad with continuously being reported then they need to be dealt with ! We need Refs for sure with better pay with the NCHSAA pay a percentage above what the schools pay with extra pay per mile for wear and tire on their vehicle. With the extra pay, they need to be more accountable for bad calls. This is the future of these young football players on the line and these bad Refs do not need to make the game about themselves for attention !

No one is saying the issue shouldn't be dealt with but Bobby, Joe and Ricky sitting in the stands at Mayberry half drunk acting like they know something don't need to be privy to information about a missed call or 2.

Reactions: FBRef and ocdavis31
If they are routinely bad with continuously being reported then they need to be dealt with ! We need Refs for sure with better pay with the NCHSAA pay a percentage above what the schools pay with extra pay per mile for wear and tire on their vehicle. With the extra pay, they need to be more accountable for bad calls. This is the future of these young football players on the line and these bad Refs do not need to make the game about themselves for attention !
That's my opinion and everyone knows I have repeated hearing from several respectful people repeating the same thing they saw and I believe them 100% and talk all you want but I think 2 Refs took over that game, maybe because the coach made them mad or for attention. I don't know the reason they went crazy but that's my thoughts and they will never be changed. I'm done with this subject ! ! !

No one is saying the issue shouldn't be dealt with but Bobby, Joe and Ricky sitting in the stands at Mayberry half drunk acting like they know something don't need to be privy to information about a missed call or 2.
These people I heard from were on the side and not in the stands but maybe the 2 Refs got drunk at the half. LOL joke as no one in the stands was drunk unless you were there. LOL joke

Not one person has given an example of a bad call in this game, not one. Just a bunch of bellyaching about losing.

Not one person has given an example of a bad call in this game, not one. Just a bunch of bellyaching about losing.
Then you have not read all the posts. As usual, you just posting to talk with nothing to say because you don't read the posts, with examples probably on all 5 pages. Learn to read all the posts instead of just posting a comment on the first post you come across about a team you hate.

I'm not sure I've seen specifics either.

Of course who has time to keep up with all the post of whining from the Mayberry crowd.

• Haha
Then you have not read all the posts. As usual, you just posting to talk with nothing to say because you don't read the posts, with examples probably on all 5 pages. Learn to read all the posts instead of just posting a comment on the first post you come across about a team you hate.
Would you provide a link please?

I am a Official - I referee in NC and AZ. There is lack of official all across the USA.

1. No new officals are joining - Most New officals dont make it past their 3 year because of parents

2. Lack of Pay: For Basketball 65.00 for 1 Varsity isn’t that great - It not bad but not great and also lower level basketball like Middle school and such it only like 25$ or whatever so

3. Lack of Training - Every state is different but I would see more training for officals and this needs start like in April instead of June or July

4. Most Athletes who may not play no more or they get injured can’t play no more or whatever the case - Most former players want to be a Coach Not an Official - We need more former athletes to become officials

Also Most HS officals have day jobs and this isn’t like the NFL so Officals at HS level have much more to deal with in normal life n then have go deal with stuff on Friday night or Tuesday night.

And start paying refs/ umpires for doing clinics and working scrimmages. Alot of time away from the family and gas used for no pay.

That fact that anyone is asked to do anything like a clinic or a scrimmage for a job and is not paid is absurd, but what do you expect from a country that has long been built on free and cheap labor.

Reactions: FBRef and buzzcoach
That fact that anyone is asked to do anything like a clinic or a scrimmage for a job and is not paid is absurd, but what do you expect from a country that has long been built on free and cheap labor.
Just did a 2 + hour zoom meeting yesterday afternoon for a spring sport. Zero compensation. Got to give the booking agent $75 (One game fee) Got pay the state $38 for this sport. I have already paid the state for my liability insurance and my background check, which I think was around $75. (Paid last summer for fall sports, so don’t remember exact amount) there will be probably 3 more zoom meetings and at least one on field mechanics clinic. One hour state clinic that is required. Then 2-4 free scrimmages of which the schools can charge admission for. All this with no compensation, then you may get some games. Covid spring, most of us did not recover our fees paid, before season was shut down.

Just did a 2 + hour zoom meeting yesterday afternoon for a spring sport. Zero compensation. Got to give the booking agent $75 (One game fee) Got pay the state $38 for this sport. I have already paid the state for my liability insurance and my background check, which I think was around $75. (Paid last summer for fall sports, so don’t remember exact amount) there will be probably 3 more zoom meetings and at least one on field mechanics clinic. One hour state clinic that is required. Then 2-4 free scrimmages of which the schools can charge admission for. All this with no compensation, then you may get some games. Covid spring, most of us did not recover our fees paid, before season was shut down.
Come on now, Sportsnut. What about all that money you’re paid under the table to call against everybody’s favorite team?😂

It's starting to sound like officials are treated like teachers.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
What sport ?

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Sort if like a coach right Buzz? Most do it for the love of the game and the kids. So why should they get ridiculed over something that usually doesn't pay the bills.

But going back to an official, because someone does it for love doesn't mean they shouldn't get compensated properly. It's just another excuse to not compensate someone properly ultimately.

Reactions: FB is my Life
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT