ADVERTISEMENT

Cougars vs Rockets - MAC Championship

Im hearing that this one will be played tomorrow unless it is a complete downpour all day.

Has anyone been to a Monday night game? Are they well attended? I would think if this is the only game on Monday it would be packed.

The Asheville-Franklin game in 2006 was for the MAC championship. It got moved to Monday and I thought it was a solid crowd.

The Asheville-Franklin game in 2006 was for the MAC championship. It got moved to Monday and I thought it was a solid crowd.
It was a decent crowd for a Monday night game, but as a player in that game....it completely threw our focus off and in our opinions cost us the game. We were ready to go on Friday and were as pumped as it gets but by the time Monday rolled around and we had all went our separate ways that weekend.....the intensity and focus was gone. Don't get me wrong, Asheville might've won if this one was played on Friday either way but I know we used that as our excuse for losing. My sophomore year over at Asheville was when hurricane Ivan was pounding the mountains and we were the only game in the state going on that night. Talk about being completely miserable in the pouring rain and getting our butts handed to us all in the same night. Heck, now that I'm thinking about is all three years I played against Asheville were memorable.....the Ivan game in 04, the game where we put out tissue paper on Asheville bleachers and then you guys came in and wore us out for 4 quarters, and then my senior year when it was played on Monday night.

As far as the Asheville Reynolds game this evening.....it should be the best game in the mountains so far and have the best two teams in the mountains involved. I'm pulling for Asheville but Dowdle and the rest of the Reynolds crew should be scary. I have to think all this rain has to benefit Asheville and their power O.

It was a decent crowd for a Monday night game, but as a player in that game....it completely threw our focus off and in our opinions cost us the game. We were ready to go on Friday and were as pumped as it gets but by the time Monday rolled around and we had all went our separate ways that weekend.....the intensity and focus was gone. Don't get me wrong, Asheville might've won if this one was played on Friday either way but I know we used that as our excuse for losing. My sophomore year over at Asheville was when hurricane Ivan was pounding the mountains and we were the only game in the state going on that night. Talk about being completely miserable in the pouring rain and getting our butts handed to us all in the same night. Heck, now that I'm thinking about is all three years I played against Asheville were memorable.....the Ivan game in 04, the game where we put out tissue paper on Asheville bleachers and then you guys came in and wore us out for 4 quarters, and then my senior year when it was played on Monday night.

As far as the Asheville Reynolds game this evening.....it should be the best game in the mountains so far and have the best two teams in the mountains involved. I'm pulling for Asheville but Dowdle and the rest of the Reynolds crew should be scary. I have to think all this rain has to benefit Asheville and their power O.

Ah yes.....the toilet paper game. That was pretty funny right there. Those were some good times between two good programs. It's a shame that today fan bases can't prank each other like that without all the drama. Tonights game will be the biggest test for both programs so far. The only thing the rain will do (in my opinion) is keep the scores down. I'm still picking my Cougars by 1.

Getting a little wet tonight will definitely be worth it. Hope everyone else thinks the same and comes out to support both teams. Helluva game between two great programs. Maybe the rain will take away Wilkins' trick plays :) lol

Reactions: AHSDYNASY
Hope they just go ahead and play, supposed to be making a decision in the next 30 minutes. There's a chance of rain Monday too.

Fhs1, I was at the 04 game and it was not fun at all. That storm was 10 times worse than what we are getting today. I think the biggest reason that Asheville postponed in 06 was because of the flack that they got for playing in 04 after how bad it ended up being in Franklin that night with the mud slides.

On another note.... I hope we do play tonight. The fan that makes the crowd a big one is the casual fan or the spoiled fan. No matter if you play tonight or Monday that fan will not be at this game. They will sit at home and listen to the radio broadcast or watch the pathetic highlights that come on our news every Friday night at 11 oclock. I will be there tonight, poncho in hand, cheering for the Rockets. Hope all my other Rocket fans suck it up, get off your butts, yell, cheer and make noise for these boys who have a chance to be a very special team this year. The same goes for those Cougar fans. Best of luck tonight boys. Put everything in place for a championship run tonight.

I agree rocket pride. Suck it up people it's just rain and unlike college games you can bring umbrellas so you should stay pretty dry.

Reactions: Rocket Pride
Hope they just go ahead and play, supposed to be making a decision in the next 30 minutes. There's a chance of rain Monday too.

Fhs1, I was at the 04 game and it was not fun at all. That storm was 10 times worse than what we are getting today. I think the biggest reason that Asheville postponed in 06 was because of the flack that they got for playing in 04 after how bad it ended up being in Franklin that night with the mud slides.
That was an awful bus ride home and even worse when the parents of all the players were freaking out wondering where their kids were and how they were going to get them home. On my way home from the fieldhouse that night I had to cut about 5 trees out of the road just to get home and I lived close to town. Some people lost their lives in those mud slides and to be quite honest we really shouldn't have been playing that game that night so I don't blame Asheville for being gun shy on the postponing the game in 06.

I hope for a big crowd but I don't expect to see one. The band alone not being there will hurt the attendance. Our fans are pathetic as it is. You could throw in just a chance of rain and alot of them won't show up, but a hurricane? I hope in proven wrong and it's full since it's such a big game, but id be shocked.

It's crazy in 2004 Asheville played in hurricane Ivan against Franklin. Hurricanes are named in alphabetical order. Tonight is the next letter in the alphabet 11 years later. Hurricane Joaquin. Go figure.

[QUOTE="
It's crazy in 2004 Asheville played in hurricane Ivan against Franklin. Hurricanes are named in alphabetical order. Tonight is the next letter in the alphabet 11 years later. Hurricane Joaquin. Go figure.[/QUOTE]

Just think, if our receivers all had 4.4 speed like Havelock it wouldn't matter about the rain since they'd be running on top of the water.

Reactions: Rocket Pride
We'll see ahscougar1, wouldn't be surprised either way. If I had to guess I think there will be a solid crowd, but definitely not a full house. Forecast now showing there may be a break from the rain later this afternoon.

What's the over/under on fumbles tonight, 6?
ACR fumbled last week, and fumbled last year vs Asheville. In each of those games one of ACR #5's fumbles was a TD for the other team. Asheville usually doesn't fumble. It will be interesting to see if it evens out or if ACR loses even more.

Last edited:
30-7 Reynolds half way through the 2nd quarter. This is getting ugly fast. We just don't have it tonight.

What an embarassment we are tonight. I wouldn't blame Reynolds to run it up on us either. SAD

The Asheville defense is a pathetic joke. How we were ranked in the top 5 is beyond me. Get ready to see a huge drop in the polls.

44-7 Reynolds and it's not even half time yet. Congratulations Rockets on winning the MAC championship tonight. No excuses here. At this point we have guys giving up and going half speed. Pitiful.....

Reactions: ai1015
lol, yup. We won't even be in the top 10 next week. It's hard to see 2 or 3 kids out there playing their butts off and another dozen ready to get back on the bus.

Wow! Just goes to show without all the offensive turnovers for Reynolds last week, the score could have worse for we Warrior fans.

Worst I've ever seen our defense play. Soft doesn't even describe it. Dowdle is the real deal but it's not like we haven't played D1 backs before.

It's halftime but congrats to Reynolds on the Mac championship. Y'all are better than us and it's not close. We are not a top 10 team. We are losing in every single facet of the game and the worst part is we look like we don't care. I've never seen a team quit that early in a game. Reynolds could score 90 on us tonight.

This makes me feel a little better about AC dropping 39 on the Lions. Dowdle is a heck of a player.

We are down 44-7 and we are running the ball in the third quarter. UNBELIEVABLE. The only reason Reynolds has a loss is because Shelby threw it all over them. I guess we are trying to work on our rushing offense.

Asheville down 44-14 driving in the second half and we fumble attempting to run a fullback dive on the 50 yard line. Am I in the twilight zone?

51-14 Reynolds at the start of the 4th. Go ahead and pile on us everybody. Tonight we deserve it.

Asheville down 44-14 driving in the second half and we fumble attempting to run a fullback dive on the 50 yard line. Am I in the twilight zone?

You can't run a fullback dive when a linebacker takes the hand off. And yes, I do believe we're in the twilight zone. :(

All I can say is it would have been a lot closer but Reynolds cheated the whole game. The refs hated us. The balls were under inflated and some a**wipe at Fudruckers laced the pregame burgers with Valium.

51-14 Reynolds at the start of the 4th. Go ahead and pile on us everybody. Tonight we deserve it.
No need to pile it on. Everyone was classy coming into this one except cqajdd! I bet he is choking to death on all that crap he has talked all week!!!!

Reactions: COUGAR-90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT