ADVERTISEMENT

Coronavirus Pandemic with update from NCHSAA

In order to answer that question, you have to ask....
Are we through the first wave or is it getting worse?
Will there be a second wave?
Will people do what it takes to reverse it?
Will there be a vaccine?
Will people take the vaccine?
Does having it give you immunity?
If so, for how long?
Will there be a cure?

I contend that no one knows the answers to those. So it’s impossible to answer about sports.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
I would say 5% are wearing in Haywood County. Hop, skip, and jump next door to Buncombe County and I'd say it's 95%. Crazy difference in cultures.

Cooper and his house mouse Mandy is supposed to give updates end of week. Not looking for anything good, the Old North State is under siege!

Interesting that you mention updates at end of week. I just read an update on Congressman Greg Murphy's facebook page. He also has something to say about those late friday updates. I'll copy his latest update here:
Congressman Greg Murphy
Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, as Secretary of the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHHS), Dr. Mandy Cohen has repeatedly talked about the importance of Contact Tracing in North Carolina’s efforts to fight the virus. In a move long thought to have already been done, late last Friday, NCDHHS sent a press release to announce that they have finally employed the first round of vendors to begin testing after over three months since the pandemic affected North Carolina. It is well known that Friday night press releases are meant to fly information under the radar. I too would be embarrassed at this poor performance. The delays and unbelievable scripted press tactics are unconscionable in the middle of a pandemic. It appears that it took a call from Dr. Deborah Birx of the White House’s Coronavirus Task Force to Dr. Cohen regarding the fundamental flaw in North Carolina's approach to testing to finally get this done. Our state’s hospital systems offered assistance months ago and were turned down. We have lost extremely valuable time and resources because of this delay potentially harming our state’s population.

I have talked about the lack of a coherent plan for testing in North Carolina. I have talked about the lack of transparency in this administration’s approach to the pandemic. This incident speaks to both of these incompetences. It makes one question the reasons for the delay in implementation when the scientific community has repeatedly commented on how important testing is for a successful reopening of our economy. Our surrounding states have had coherent plans for testing, and we are just getting to this now?

We also found out over the weekend that antibody testing conducted by Dr. John Sanders at Wake Forest University showed that over 1 million people in North Carolina have now been exposed to the virus. How could another institution in our state get this done so quickly when the governor’s administration could not? I have repeatedly called on the administration to do antibody testing and so I'm glad at least another institution stepped up to do this. Antibody testing gives a realistic picture of the virus’s prevalence in the community and helps allay people’s fears. Apparently, the administration doesn’t want that. All this talk about the "Science and the Data" is deceptive when the "Science and the Data" are being manipulated.

It is a simple fact that more people are testing positive. This result was totally expected. The virus has not disappeared. Hospitalizations are also up but have stabilized. The curve has long since been flattening allowing our hospitals to gather the resources they need. The death rate, which is the most important statistic, has continued to plummet because of excellent patient care and preparedness. Continuing to handcuff the state unnecessarily is not justifiable and cannot continue.

This most recent move by the Cooper administration fits in line with their lack of a competent plan for our nursing homes. Testing in our nursing homes, where our most vulnerable have composed the majority of deaths, should have been done months ago. The fact that it has taken this long to design a plan to protect them is downright scandalous and is in need of immediate investigation.

Otis, I’m a little confused by some of that information.
The updates haven’t been done on Fridays, but throughout the week. The phases have begun or ended on Friday evening but announced days earlier. I suspect we’ll hear from the Governor tomorrow.
As far as hospitalizations, I see a different story.
If you look at the 14 day period from May 8-21, hospitalizations averaged 509 per day statewide. For the 14 day period a month later, from 6/8-6/21, the average was 815. That’s a 62% increase How is that flat or stable? As of yesterday, I don’t think Forsyth or Presbyterian had any available ICU rooms. Baptist did have some. It varies by area.
Since the first death in North Carolina, the average per day was 14. Over the last 14 days, it averages 16 per day. Not a significant increase unless one of them is your loved one. But it’s not a decrease.
All of that to me looks like we’re headed in the wrong direction. As an aside, my daughter is a contact tracing investigator and has been working for several weeks.

Well he isn't saying all the updates are on Fridays but that they released the announcement that they have finally employed the first round of vendors to begin testing late last Friday. Which is saying they did it late on Friday so it wouldn't get much notice. He said the late friday updates are known to not get much attention.

Reactions: BK13T-$
I think there are about a dozen kids who brought it back to Davidson County after beach week. Testing positive left and right.

Otis, I’m a little confused by some of that information.
The updates haven’t been done on Fridays, but throughout the week. The phases have begun or ended on Friday evening but announced days earlier. I suspect we’ll hear from the Governor tomorrow.
As far as hospitalizations, I see a different story.
If you look at the 14 day period from May 8-21, hospitalizations averaged 509 per day statewide. For the 14 day period a month later, from 6/8-6/21, the average was 815. That’s a 62% increase How is that flat or stable? As of yesterday, I don’t think Forsyth or Presbyterian had any available ICU rooms. Baptist did have some. It varies by area.
Since the first death in North Carolina, the average per day was 14. Over the last 14 days, it averages 16 per day. Not a significant increase unless one of them is your loved one. But it’s not a decrease.
All of that to me looks like we’re headed in the wrong direction. As an aside, my daughter is a contact tracing investigator and has been working for several weeks.
we're definitely headed in the wrong direction. The numbers are not indicating the virus has weaken at all

Well he isn't saying all the updates are on Fridays but that they released the announcement that they have finally employed the first round of vendors to begin testing late last Friday. Which is saying they did it late on Friday so it wouldn't get much notice. He said the late friday updates are known to not get much attention.
That is certainly a well known political tactic. Look at the announcement of the “resignation” of the district attorney for the southern district of New York. Happens all the time.

Reactions: BK13T-$
Otis, how about an update on your 50 year old friend who is infected and the current situation in Vanceboro and your church.

I think there are about a dozen kids who brought it back to Davidson County after beach week. Testing positive left and right.
Young people tend to think they are bullet proof in many ways.

Edited to note: When I was in basic training in the army we had a drill instructor who liked to say "Don't worry, you won't get shot in Nam. All of you are young and bullet proof." Then he would just laugh and laugh. But we got the message.

Last edited:
2020 will be the year of no HS football in my opinion. Even if a weird form of football comes about, there will be no fans allowed. HS football pays for everything else in HS sports so that reason alone will cancel the fall sports calendar. I’m 74 and I’ve grown tired of a lot of things, and being a Shelby fan looking forward to HS football is not one of them. For the first time since this mess started its wearing me down. I’ve still got hope but it is fading.

Reactions: ohio tarheels
2020 will be the year of no HS football in my opinion. Even if a weird form of football comes about, there will be no fans allowed. HS football pays for everything else in HS sports so that reason alone will cancel the fall sports calendar. I’m 74 and I’ve grown tired of a lot of things, and being a Shelby fan looking forward to HS football is not one of them. For the first time since this mess started its wearing me down. I’ve still got hope but it is fading.

If I had to bet an amount of money that mattered to me, it would be there will not be football. I’m a middle school coach and football is not at the top of my priorities.

Hang in there lion. Don't lose hope. Maybe high school football next spring?

Otis, how about an update on your 50 year old friend who is infected and the current situation in Vanceboro and your church.

It was a young teenage boy that came with someones daughter. After church he found out his brother had it so he went to get tested. We heard today his test was negative so hopefully its accurate. My dad didn't get anywhere near him that we know about.
My friend has still got a bad cough. He has it and his wife and his teenage son. I just got off the phone with him about an hour ago. He sounds terrible when he coughs which was a lot. I asked who was taking care of them and he told me of a lady that had cooked for them a couple of times. I'm fixing to go to Greenville to Sam's club and get some steaks. I told him I would cook them a steak tomorrow.
I was wrong when I said earlier he went to the hospital and came home the same day. He told me that they kept him overnight when his fever was so high because he is a diabetic. Not bad but still a diabetic so they wanted to see how he did overnight. They just prayers to get on over this. One of the others I know is about 81 and I heard yesterday evening they took him off the respirator yesterday. I think they said he is the first in craven county to be put on a respirator and survive to come off. I haven't heard anything today.

Reactions: TheMule

I've been thinking about this very thing. I'm going to talk to my wife and see if we can make a donation to our schools athletic dept. I got caught up in stupid mess when I was in school. In 1975 I think it was I started smoking pot and it just consumed me. Some say its not habit forming or that it don't lead to other drugs but FB Is My Life can witness it took over me. I only played football one year and that was when I realized I only had one chance left to play. I was a backup running back and I enjoyed every bit of it. I played ball in 7th and 8th grade. I loved the practices. I loved getting picked on by the bigger guy's. I wish I had played all 4 years. One of my bigger regrets in life. I love high school football with a passion just as all of you guys do. It's why we are here. Many of you I have met. I hate that we may not have football but from what I have seen in our community this past week football is not worth it. As stated many of our kids live with grandparents. We have to protect them!!

Reactions: Wizard of the East
That is certainly a well known political tactic. Look at the announcement of the “resignation” of the district attorney for the southern district of New York. Happens all the time.

Yea I'm trying not to get political in it because frankly I think Cooper is right to take it slow. I've met Congressman Murphy and he seems to be really genuine. With his reputation as a doctor I don't think he is playing political games with it. I really trust what he is saying. That's a rarity these days.

Reactions: GSO-Triple5
Well, I've held out hope that this would run it's course and life would resume to normal sooner rather than later. But, with the big step back we took today coupled with being stuck with the worst damn governor that's ever existed until at least Nov. then I now have to admit that I don't think there's any way possible that there's football, if even school in N.C. in 2020. Get ready for the best athletes in all sports to transfer to GA, SC, TN, and FL. You can't blame them!

Last edited:
Pisgahcatamount07: 10-4 on that worst Governor, you hit it dead center. The man has an agenda for sure, fall HS sports may just be colladiral damage. It’s nearly July and we have entered the “Twilight Zone”. Lot of star talent in western piedmont and foothills, and mountain counties in N.C. love to see them on the field. I believe in miracles.

Your screen name contradicts that statement if "FB" means football. Just an observation.

it’s not at the list of my priorities because I have basically been told we will not be playing this fall. Hope that changes, but I wouldn’t count on it. We were going to try, but the other schools in our conference (which is in another county) are not playing.

Young people tend to think they are bullet proof in many ways.

Edited to note: When I was in basic training in the army we had a drill instructor who liked to say "Don't worry, you won't get shot in Nam. All of you are young and bullet proof." Then he would just laugh and laugh. But we got the message.
yep!

What was Roy before he became governor? What did he do for a living? If high school football becomes collateral damage in all this, he will lose in a landslide.

We can only hope.

Facts-
  • Over 700,000 tested, 56,000+ positives equals about 7%
  • Currently over 900 hospitalized out of 56,000 equals about 1.7%
  • It should be noted that NC has about 24,000 hospital beds
  • 1271 people have died. Thats about 2% of all those we know are currently positive and a whopping 1/10 of 1% of the 700,000+ that have been tested.
Source: https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard

This is what most people know. It's a form of control and if ole Roy can keep it going until November 3rd he will. Bet on it.

Reactions: rambbq and BK13T-$
If football isn’t played this year, every last one of us ought to write a check to whatever school hosts the games you’d be attending for the amount of a season ticket, or the amount you’d have spent on tickets.

There will still be a massive shortfall. But I like to put my money where my mouth is.

Much like the situation at ECU. People fuss because they dropped some sports. They want them back... But none of them are members of the Pirate Club. Put your money where your mouth is.

What was Roy before he became governor? What did he do for a living? If high school football becomes collateral damage in all this, he will lose in a landslide.

We can only hope.

Facts-
  • Over 700,000 tested, 56,000+ positives equals about 7%
  • Currently over 900 hospitalized out of 56,000 equals about 1.7%
  • It should be noted that NC has about 24,000 hospital beds
  • 1271 people have died. Thats about 2% of all those we know are currently positive and a whopping 1/10 of 1% of the 700,000+ that have been tested.
Source: https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard

This is what most people know. It's a form of control and if ole Roy can keep it going until November 3rd he will. Bet on it.

"Over 700,000 tested, 56,000+ positives equals about 7%"
Correction: 56 / 700 = 8%

:D

Last edited:
Reactions: ocdavis31
"Over 700,000 tested, 56,000+ positives equals about 7%"
Correction: 56 / 700 = 8%

:D
If people are taking the necessary steps to reduce the spread, the percentage of positives related to the number of tests should be going down. As more positives are identified, contacted and isolated, the people exposed to them are asked to quarantine for 14 days. The target for positive/total percentage right now should have declined to 3%. Instead it’s going in the other direction.
I always find it disturbing when people trivialize 1290 deaths. If I take all of the people that I know well enough to know their telephone number, their birthday or their address, I doubt seriously that it would equal 1290. So, what if that 1290 were everybody that I know and care about? Does that make it real? I find it even more disturbing to hear that someone thinks it’s okay because most of them are old. That borders on sociopathic.

Just something to think about. The Surgeon General has warned that the wearing of masks could increase the spread of COVID-19. Maybe our Governor should take his advice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT