ADVERTISEMENT

Coronavirus Pandemic with update from NCHSAA

Don’t think he listens to anyone except maybe a certain woman running amok in the halls of congress. Just something I heard.

Don’t think he listens to anyone except maybe a certain woman running amok in the halls of congress. Just something I heard.

Trust me, I think Dan Forest gives him an ear full every day. Just my opinion but when it comes to the decision making process, Roy Cooper just doesn't seem to be consistent on anything. I know some people may have a problem with that statement but as I stated earlier, it is just my opinion.

No one was belittling 1200+ deaths. I was only citing real stats. We know the virus is real, We know it is highly contagious. We also know there may not be a vaccine, ever. So, somone has to make a decision and those decisions are made by those in charge. President Obama was right. Elections have consequences. Funny how one side seems to accept that idea more than the other.

Reactions: BK13T-$
I post this for informational purposes. Do with it what you wish.

Total Population of NC (07/01/2019 est.): 10,490,000 [rounded up from 10,488,084]*

Data Below is from the 06/25/2020 Report from the NCDHHS

Completed Covid-19 Tests: 811,278**
[It should also be noted from the NCDHHS: "Reporting positive laboratory tests to NCDHHS is mandatory. However, reporting the total number of tests conducted, including negative tests, is not required. Therefore, total tests come from labs that voluntarily reporting them."***]

Percent of Population Tested: .0773

Lab Confirmed Positive Cases: 57,183**

Percent of Positive Tests from Completed Tests: .0704
Percent of Total Population with Positive Tests: .0054

Current Hospitalizations: 891**
Percent of Hospitalizations from Positive Tests: .0155
Percent of Hospitalizations from Completed Tests: .0010
Percent of Total Population with Hospitalizations: .00008

Deaths from Covid-19: 1,290**
Percent of Death from Positive Tests: .0225
Percent of Death from Completed Tests: .0015
Percent of Death from Total Population: .0001

Recovered from Covid-19: 36,921
Percent of Recovery from Positive Tests: .6456

For context, the NCDHHS data begins on 03/02/2020. However, on 03/16/2020 calculation of total tests begin to be documented. On 04/10/2020 NC reported a day's testing of 10,000+ for the first time. This means there are roughly 130 days worth of data (using 03/16/2020-06/25/2020).

References:
* US Census Bureau (2020). Link: https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/NC
** NCDHHS (2020). Link: https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard
*** NCDHHS (2020). Link: https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard/about-data

Reactions: dogs79 and PBBear51
Fox2xyhook, my only problem with those numbers or any numbers is simply my dad could probably survive the flu with our good care. He will not survive this mess. 1 is the only number I care about and that is my dad. Those deaths look small to those not related to them. Damn China!

Reactions: BK13T-$ and dogs79
I just wish the players, coaches and fans would be told one way or the other. I mean It's July (almost) and games start next month.

I just wish the players, coaches and fans would be told one way or the other. I mean It's July (almost) and games start next month.
I would think that the NCHSAA would provide revised guidance soon, based on the current situation. This is a very fluid environment and I (for once) feel for the folks trying to make decisions based on a volatile condition. Wouldn’t want to be in their position.

Reactions: Lawn12Dog
I would think that the NCHSAA would provide revised guidance soon, based on the current situation. This is a very fluid environment and I (for once) feel for the folks trying to make decisions based on a volatile condition. Wouldn’t want to be in their position.
Dead Period starts Mon June 29 thru Sun July 5.... I too believe we would have some updates before that is over since more school districts have announced July 6 as their start of voluntary conditioning and workouts

My sister in Greenville SC said they've called off all school activities, practice, summer school until July 22nd as it stands now.

My sister in Greenville SC said they've called off all school activities, practice, summer school until July 22nd as it stands now.

I haven’t been paying much attention to what other states are doing, but I am surprised by this. I figured SC and Georgia weren’t really being as careful as most.

I was in Utah the other day and people looked at me like I was a doofus for wearing a mask. (Well, I hope it was the mask). I also saw a full squad of middle school football players practicing at their school. I’m not making the argument that Utah was doing it right... just interesting to see how others are doing things.

Reactions: PBBear51
Even if the NCHSAA approved football activities every local school board will have to approve as well.

Chances of that happening are remote.

Fox2xyhook, my only problem with those numbers or any numbers is simply my dad could probably survive the flu with our good care. He will not survive this mess. 1 is the only number I care about and that is my dad. Those deaths look small to those not related to them. Damn China!

Otis4411, I understand your concern. You are encouraged do what you feel is in the best interest of you and your father's health and wellness.

Even if the NCHSAA approved football activities every local school board will have to approve as well.

Mule, I remember you saying that you thought the season was happen, you don't think so now?

Currently, July 6 has been approved for first "practice" in the district I am apart of. This district supplemented the NCHSAAA guidelines making them fairly extensive. As it stands, it will not resemble anything like a football practice (i.e. no more than 25 total humans at one time [coach(es) and athletic trainer(s) are included in that 25 total, so if you have 2 coaches and an AT you are down to 22 possible players], football's are not allowed, weightroom closed, etc.). Meanwhile, a private school in the area is practicing without restriction - helmets, shoulder pads, sleds, and footballs.

Given that Mr. Cooper extended Phase II through July 17, I do not expect the NCHSAA to provide any guidance other than what they already have until the 17th at the earliest.

i am beginning to think Duplin County want start on July 6, if at all. Heard it isnt looking good from a souce close to situation.

Reactions: DuplinCountyTiger

That sinks it for Cleveland County. Our school board will shoot it down at the first opportunity.

Football practice with a handful of players, no footballs allowed at football practice, no access to weight rooms and the insanity marches on. I don’t have any confidence schools will open anyway, if they don’t all this so called practice will be of no use anyway except a little exercise for these hopeful kids whose disappointment will be much more than the fan base. What a sad STATE of affairs.

There are things going on right now behind the scenes in our country that will have a much more damaging impact than this virus.

Overwhelm the system, tear down the system, rebuild the system.

And this may be my tinfoil hat talking but if you get a chance take a look at event 201, its timing and sponsors.

Mule, I remember you saying that you thought the season was happen, you don't think so now?
Not looking good now. When decisions get pushed closer and closer to elections school boards will be more and more reluctant to take any chances on students/players/teachers/staff health. And that is completely understandable.

Edited to note we need to begin thinking about spring football.

I am told the major NCAA conferences are negotiating with the TV people concerning more TV money for games with no fans in the stands.

It is going to take some very creative thinking for high school sports and colleges to survive
the next year.

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
Travel Baseball has resumed. I would think if Football wasn't tied to the schools a season would be feasible.

Reactions: btango
Travel Baseball has resumed. I would think if Football wasn't tied to the schools a season would be feasible.
If it’s travel ball in North Carolina, it’s limited to 25 fans. If somebody is doing it differently, they’re in violation. So, the local government folks are just turning their heads. If the field is owned by a governmental entity, they’re not only irresponsible, they’re asking for a lawsuit. And the proposed laws about absolution from liability only protect you if you’re following the rules. Same for insurance coverage.

If it’s travel ball in North Carolina, it’s limited to 25 fans. If somebody is doing it differently, they’re in violation. So, the local government folks are just turning their heads. If the field is owned by a governmental entity, they’re not only irresponsible, they’re asking for a lawsuit. And the proposed laws about absolution from liability only protect you if you’re following the rules. Same for insurance coverage.
Easy there OC. Sounding more and more like Chief Defender of the Faith.

Rambbq to provide context soon.;)

Reactions: beamer24 and UNC91
both of my grandsons play travel baseball...so far limited to Davidson, Forsyth and Randolph counties and in a limited way Guilford....at the other 3 sites....I can assure you that there are more than just a few spectators....nobody is nervous and people are just happy to get in the fresh air and sunlight...glad to see it and be a part of it.....if people want to wring their hands and stay inside....go for it.................

Can’t speak for how the other counties are handling it. If games are at Hughes Park in Davidson County, attendance is supposed to be limited to 25 per field. Same would be true for other county owned facilities. What it comes down to is enforcement. Davidson County commissioners are still ticked that the Governor didn’t let them make all the decisions. So they have probably told the sheriff they don’t want him near the parks.

By no means do I think everyone is in compliance. The cities of Thomasville and Lexington are. The two NC3 groups in those cities, as well as the Coastal Plain League team in Thomasville and the other wooden bat college league in Lexington are all adhering to the 25 fan limit. And travel baseball fields probably won’t be shut down like Ace Speedway, but the principle is the same. Let’s just hope that gatherings like that and yes, like the two different types of protests, don’t kill high school sports because we didn’t contain this thing. I want sports as much as anybody, but not at the expense of a continually rising death count.

Last edited:
Reactions: PrepFanNC
Give us a link to that.
A few elected leaders who have endorsed wearing masks over the past few days. There are many others.
VP Mike Pence
Senate leader Mitch McConnell
Former VP Dick Cheney
Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchison
Senator Marco Rubio
Senator Lamar Alexander
Rep. Liz Cheney
Arizona Governor Doug Ducey
Rep. Jim Jordan
Texas Governor Greg Abbott

It’s not just one side of the aisle. I believe everyone knows what that list has in common.

Last edited:
I think they should move football to the spring....I'd rather them move football then cancel it altogether or watch a shortened season...If that interferes with baseball basketball then kids that want to play those sports can play on AAU or travel teams...there isn't an AAU or travel football team...and football pays the bills. I don't know what the answer is but I hope we find out something soon...like a definite answer...not maybe this maybe that....or postponement after postponement.

Reactions: TheMule
I still think that, if a decision is made to start practice by August 1, and the virus has subsided substantially, a season can be held with certain common sense restrictions.

I post this for informational purposes. Do with it what you wish.

Total Population of NC (07/01/2019 est.): 10,490,000 [rounded up from 10,488,084]*

Data Below is from the 06/25/2020 Report from the NCDHHS

Completed Covid-19 Tests: 811,278**
[It should also be noted from the NCDHHS: "Reporting positive laboratory tests to NCDHHS is mandatory. However, reporting the total number of tests conducted, including negative tests, is not required. Therefore, total tests come from labs that voluntarily reporting them."***]

Percent of Population Tested: .0773

Lab Confirmed Positive Cases: 57,183**

Percent of Positive Tests from Completed Tests: .0704
Percent of Total Population with Positive Tests: .0054

Current Hospitalizations: 891**
Percent of Hospitalizations from Positive Tests: .0155
Percent of Hospitalizations from Completed Tests: .0010
Percent of Total Population with Hospitalizations: .00008

Deaths from Covid-19: 1,290**
Percent of Death from Positive Tests: .0225
Percent of Death from Completed Tests: .0015
Percent of Death from Total Population: .0001

Recovered from Covid-19: 36,921
Percent of Recovery from Positive Tests: .6456

For context, the NCDHHS data begins on 03/02/2020. However, on 03/16/2020 calculation of total tests begin to be documented. On 04/10/2020 NC reported a day's testing of 10,000+ for the first time. This means there are roughly 130 days worth of data (using 03/16/2020-06/25/2020).

References:
* US Census Bureau (2020). Link: https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/NC
** NCDHHS (2020). Link: https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard
*** NCDHHS (2020). Link: https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard/about-data

Otis, I certainly understand and share your concern for your father and others who are elderly or have immune system issues. In my opinion those are the folks who should be in quarantine and shutdown so to speak, not the entire state.

Reactions: The bear guru
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT