Coach Jimmy Upchurch from West Stokes has retired

Discussion in '2A Football' started by Deana_King, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Deana_King

Deana_King Well-Known Member
    Staff
    Expand Collapse

Sportsnut17 likes this.
  2. Sportsnut17

Sportsnut17 Moderator
    Expand Collapse

I have worked many of Coach Upchurch’s games over his 17 years at W. Stokes. Always greeted me by my name and a smile, seemed happy to see me, maybe not so after a few calls. I had his third round game on the way to state championship. Must have had the East Surry game at least 5 or 6 times including last year. Always a classic game.

He will be missed in the West Stokes community. Continued good luck to him as his restaurant grows.

3. rambbq

rambbq Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

good coach...sorry for West Stokes loss but I'm sure they will step up and get a good replacement.....the history has been established...........

4. ncball04

ncball04 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

the issue with West Stokes is, they aren’t very talented anymore. They were an average team this past season and lose everything they had. The lack of support from their community isn’t very good right now either.

Kylar2018 likes this.
  5. ItsATrap

ItsATrap Member
    Expand Collapse

Coach Upchurch had a great career at West Stokes. Wish him well in retirement. Who would be some potential candidates for this job? They should have a lot of applicants after going to the western finals last season.

5 ItsATrap, Jun 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  6. rambbq

rambbq Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

No community support?? they brought a pretty big crowd to Reidsville in Dec...................can't speak about the rest of program...like their middle school program, etc......always enjoyed having them in the conference with Reidsville back about 10-12 years ago.................

7. tarheel fan1

tarheel fan1 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

They did just go to the 4th round though

UNC91 likes this.
  8. kingbluedevil

kingbluedevil Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

It seemed that his players enjoyed playing for him and that is important as wins and losses. I've enjoyed watching his teams play over the past 15 years and Upchurch did a lot for the community. He will be missed and talent wise it may be a couple years before they are competitive in the playoffs. As far as community support it is very strong and will be a good job for someone.

9. kingbluedevil

kingbluedevil Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Average team and made it to the western finale. Not many average teams would have beat Mt. Heritage on the road and a good eastern Randolph team. They got better as the year went on and credit to coaches and players.

10. ItsATrap

ItsATrap Member
    Expand Collapse

Any speculation on who may apply or would be a good fit to keep things going?