Clinton vs Reidsville for the Ship

Who wins?

• Clinton

Votes: 27 32.5%
  • Reidsville

Votes: 56 67.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A blind guy would probably be more knowledgeable about Clinton and wonder who Reidsville is if he were asked which contender, out of Clinton and Reidsville, he would vote for.

Reactions: Wizard of the East
At this point the only thing any of us who are outside looking in (meaning our season is over), can do is speculate on what might play out. By all indicators this could be a really good game. I watched Reidsville beat Bunker Hill, a few weeks ago on NFHS, which is helpful but it isn't like being there, and got to tune into Clinton's game with Northeastern last week.

Recently, one poster commented that Clinton hasn't played anyone like the Rams; to which WOE said the Rams haven't met anyone like Clinton. Actually, I'd say they're both right. Reidsville appears to be a scoring threat every time they touch the ball, and have one of if not the best secondaries I've seen.

Speaking of defensive secondaries, according to MaxPreps stats, Clinton gave up 255 passing yards to Northeastern last Friday, who had a completion rate of over 75%. These yards were scattered out mostly among four receivers... I'd guess most people are expecting as much or more from the Rams.

Even though NE had success passing, they were barely over a hundred yards rushing which to me showed just fast the Dark Horses defense swarmed to the ball and how quick they could get into the backfield. Another thing is how strong the offensive line looked to be, For instance, Clinton had the ball inside the Northeastern 5 yard line and couldn't get it over the goal after a try or two so they decided to use a push-the-pile play which let them score easily, and it was as though their O-line nearly pushed Northeastern out of the the back of the end zone.

The way I saw it, Clinton, to a large extent, does play what a lot of us here in the west see as power football, which seems to be used a lot by 2A eastern NC teams, but be not deceived, they can and will pass from time to time. They ran what I call a flea-flicker and dropped a pinpoint pass right into the hands of their receiver for a big gain, what impressed me more that the play was how they made an almost horseshoe in front of the passer, giving him time to get set and find his receiver. I'm almost ready to believe that a lot of Clinton's strength is in it's defensive and offensive lines more so than their speed, which they plainly have.

I've watched videos, read posts and looked at what few stats I can find, then after so long it becomes a little blurry and confusing. What's clear to me, though, is that Saturday two really good teams will face off in Raleigh, teams with different styles but the same goal, to bring home another title. This may end up as one grand finale. Congrats to both.

*Side note: I wasn't able to find stats on Clinton from last Friday.

Something no one has mentioned on this thread is the game being on grass.

If anyone watched the State-Carolina game, the Tarheels had a lot of problems keeping their footing playing on that field. Reidsville, like Carolina, plays on turf. Reidsville, like Carolina, runs an up tempo spread type offense.

I am guessing all of Clinton's games were on grass this season.

Something to keep an eye on, IMO.

If anyone watched the State-Carolina game, the Tarheels had a lot of problems keeping their footing playing on that field. Reidsville, like Carolina, plays on turf. Reidsville, like Carolina, runs an up tempo spread type offense.

They ignored the State players that slipped. Didn’t fit the storyline.

Reidsville's last 6 games have been at home. Last grass field game was Oct. 20.

Reactions: Lincolnton
At this point the only thing any of us who are outside looking in (meaning our season is over), can do is speculate on what might play out. By all indicators this could be a really good game. I watched Reidsville beat Bunker Hill, a few weeks ago on NFHS, which is helpful but it isn't like being there, and got to tune into Clinton's game with Northeastern last week.

Recently, one poster commented that Clinton hasn't played anyone like the Rams; to which WOE said the Rams haven't met anyone like Clinton. Actually, I'd say they're both right. Reidsville appears to be a scoring threat every time they touch the ball, and have one of if not the best secondaries I've seen.

Speaking of defensive secondaries, according to MaxPreps stats, Clinton gave up 255 passing yards to Northeastern last Friday, who had a completion rate of over 75%. These yards were scattered out mostly among four receivers... I'd guess most people are expecting as much or more from the Rams.

Even though NE had success passing, they were barely over a hundred yards rushing which to me showed just fast the Dark Horses defense swarmed to the ball and how quick they could get into the backfield. Another thing is how strong the offensive line looked to be, For instance, Clinton had the ball inside the Northeastern 5 yard line and couldn't get it over the goal after a try or two so they decided to use a push-the-pile play which let them score easily, and it was as though their O-line nearly pushed Northeastern out of the the back of the end zone.

The way I saw it, Clinton, to a large extent, does play what a lot of us here in the west see as power football, which seems to be used a lot by 2A eastern NC teams, but be not deceived, they can and will pass from time to time. They ran what I call a flea-flicker and dropped a pinpoint pass right into the hands of their receiver for a big gain, what impressed me more that the play was how they made an almost horseshoe in front of the passer, giving him time to get set and find his receiver. I'm almost ready to believe that a lot of Clinton's strength is in it's defensive and offensive lines more so than their speed, which they plainly have.

I've watched videos, read posts and looked at what few stats I can find, then after so long it becomes a little blurry and confusing. What's clear to me, though, is that Saturday two really good teams will face off in Raleigh, teams with different styles but the same goal, to bring home another title. This may end up as one grand finale. Congrats to both.

*Side note: I wasn't able to find stats on Clinton from last Friday.
Good post Lincolnton; you are exactly right.

Reactions: Lincolnton and TGT
They ignored the State players that slipped. Didn’t fit the storyline.
You’re right Otis4411, the media akways makes it their story line; but the bottom line didn’t fit their narrative did it!

Only saying it was something to keep an eye on.

Sorry I brought it up.
Glad you posted it ... it is something to make a note of. Wondering if Reidsville has been practicing on grass this week?

A blind guy would probably be more knowledgeable about Clinton and wonder who Reidsville is if he were asked which contender, out of Clinton and Reidsville, he would vote for.

You people just type anything

Just any old gibberish with no logic behind it.

Reactions: tarheel fan1
Are they selling tickets in The stadium or is it all on GoFan?

And to
  • Josiah McLaurin, we. Clinton HS (Clinton, NC
  • Noticeably absent is Amaris Williams, maybe he’ll do like Leonard Henry said he’d do in 1996 and make the championship game his shrine bowl, he did.
Did Williams attend a Shrine Bowl combine?(which is now required to be considered for selection).

And to
  • Josiah McLaurin, we. Clinton HS (Clinton, NC
  • Noticeably absent is Amaris Williams, maybe he’ll do like Leonard Henry said he’d do in 1996 and make the championship game his shrine bowl, he did.

Wow Williams didn’t make it that’s crazy. Flippen just got added today

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT