ADVERTISEMENT

Cleveland County

No one at SP fears Crest. Until they figure out how to stop the option the SP/Crest games will continue to be toss ups no matter what athletes are on the sidelines. Same thing can be said about SP and the pass coverage.
You must have missed the '2-23 pass coverage. It isn't about pass coverage issues....it is about what you can do and are willing to do upfront. Sp had a difference maker upfront for four years plus players on the back end during that time and they played good coverage. You can cover four receivers for five seconds and give up a late scramble throw and it looks like DB issues to the layman and females but most of us know better.

You must have missed the '2-23 pass coverage. It isn't about pass coverage issues....it is about what you can do and are willing to do upfront. Sp had a difference maker upfront for four years plus players on the back end during that time and they played good coverage. You can cover four receivers for five seconds and give up a late scramble throw and it looks like DB issues to the layman and females but most of us know better.
Yeah if you can get pressure on the qb makes a big difference. No one can cover indefinitely.

Let me rephrase. Schematically, the pass coverage is flawed. In 22-23 we had arguably the best secondary SP has ever seen. So we can't base our premise on an anomaly. The scheme is to not get beat deep; which in turn, when playing teams that can dink and dunk we get abused. 10-15 yards off the ball at the snap is insane.

Last edited:
Let me rephrase. Schematically, the pass coverage is flawed. In 22-23 we had arguably the best secondary SP has ever seen. So we can base our premise on an anomaly. The scheme is to not get beat deep; which in turn, when playing teams that can dink and dunk we get abused. 10-15 yards off the ball at the snap is insane.
it sounds like you're talking about corner play. I understand what you're saying. I think we saw more of that last year. But, the offenses that are the norm now have just started happening around here in the last 6-7 years so if you look around and see the scores and pass yards given up it isn't a SP problem, it is a football problem for everyone. Example: Crest didn't just score and pass on SP. That offense the last two years was great against basically everybody. Shelby regularly sees championship time because they can pass and score big points consistently, ETC.

Reactions: egfan
They look identical to me, just looking at the pics of Burns. Looks like 2 walk through breezeways or whatever you want to call them, concessions in center, and bathrooms on the sides. Best I can tell.

Reactions: shutdownD24
Me and a buddy coached his son in basketball. He was a great guy and fun to be around.
Turning my Crest hatred off for a min. Mike Stewart changed the game over there. Nobody can deny it. 94 may be the only title we have at Burns but that year was special for both schools reaching the top the same year. Look at the two coaches that got them there. LEGENDS! Talk about building programs from the ground up and earning it. They both changed the game.

That's enough mushy crap. Makes me uncomfortable. Crest sucks.

That's a huge achievement. That's extremely tough to do, especially in the Tommy Knots era of those days. I have no horse in the race, but that sounds like a GOAT coach.
He was an awesome coach. Turned Crest into whatever it is. Won two 4A titles when it wasn't a watered down mess. Innovtive, and demanding plus he was a killer.

Took lumps against Knotts and West Charlotte until 94. Ended up 18th in the Country in the USA Today rankings. We didn't even have a weight room whe he came. Anything Crest is today can be directly traced back to Mike Stewart and his work. He laid the cornerstone that it is all built on. I'm strictly speaking about football and winning.

Taking nothing away from Sid Bryson or the rest of those men. Sid Bryson is a fantastic human being and I think a great deal of him and I'm thankful the stadium is named after him. He deserves that for many reasons. Dr. Litton too.

But Mike Stewart made the football program into something different than it was before he got there and his name ought to be on something.

Gotta include Coach Kirby and Coach Quattlebaum when talking about changing the culture in the weight room too. Stewart put together a great staff and really moved Crest up the ladder. Still a joy to talk to when he's back at The Sid.

Do you guys remember the incredible 95 Shelby vs Crest game? What excitement

fb9df5a4ad852aae4fdf43f4a0bdc84c.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT