ADVERTISEMENT

Cinderella

Well in 1A you kind of got to go with North Stokes and East Montgomery. East finished 3rd in conference and North 4th.

In 2A Ayden-Grifton only team that really has worn the slipper. Seeds are pretty much holding.

3A has 28 seed Hillsborough Orange and 31 seed Eastern Alamance. Now those are some Cinderellas.

In 4A by seeding you would have to go with Fuquay-Varina but their seed(16) belies their 18-7 record.

I'm on the fence about Orange being considered a cinderella story...yea yea they're a low seed and yea maybe 2 weeks before season ended they were in a spot to not even make the playoffs but they finished regular season strong and were not even on the bubble sweating through the conference tournaments like the last few teams to get in, their record is not great but they played a tough, tough non-conference schedule and won some and lost some, anybody that knows about Coach Dean Dease and the program he's built should never be surprised to see them in 3rd Rd no matter the record, they've gone on the road and beaten two very good teams this year, maybe them playing so clutch on the road though has something to do with them getting mad that the field they have to play on is not as nice as the one they're used to

Been there for 13 games over the last 13 years and must say it's been consistently the nicest field at a high school that I've been to more than once...the only others to compare are maintained by professionals such as the Durham Athletic Park (old Durham Bulls park where DSA plays home games), USA Baseball Training complex, and Doak Field at NCSU....i prefer Orange (and 5 or 6 other high school fields) over the Burlington Royals stadium that hosted the state finals in 2016

Where they are going to play (West Brunswick) is just as nice as Orange so there should be no drop off in playing surface tonight.

Reactions: tarheelg
For the record, I was kidding about the others.....I haven't seen South Johnston since 2006 and have never been to Southern Lee, just complimenting how pristine the field at Orange is every time I visit

Well in 1A you kind of got to go with North Stokes and East Montgomery. East finished 3rd in conference and North 4th.
I don't know if they qualify since they won their conference, but considering no one thought of them as any sort of favorite, Murphy is definitely in the mix to make it to the finals in 1A.

I don't know if they qualify since they won their conference, but considering no one thought of them as any sort of favorite, Murphy is definitely in the mix to make it to the finals in 1A.
After getting by West Montgomery yeah they have a good shot at least but Cinderella as a 4 seed?

So far by seeding they have won the games they were supposed to.

After getting by West Montgomery yeah they have a good shot at least but Cinderella as a 4 seed?

So far by seeding they have won the games they were supposed to.
Sure but they play in what was a weak conference this season. Maxpreps had them as the #19 team in 1A going into this game (which was a joke, but I digress), so there were certainly some unknowns in how they would matchup with teams outside of the area. I feel assured that when the brackets were released there wasn't anyone outside of Murphy fans, players and coaches that saw them getting to round 4.

Sure but they play in what was a weak conference this season. Maxpreps had them as the #19 team in 1A going into this game (which was a joke, but I digress), so there were certainly some unknowns in how they would matchup with teams outside of the area. I feel assured that when the brackets were released there wasn't anyone outside of Murphy fans, players and coaches that saw them getting to round 4.
Not to knock Murphy at all, 4th round of state is great, but they beat an 8-13 team in 1st round. Then have beaten two YVC teams in next two rounds. All three games have been at home and they should have been favored. Their next game will also be at home against a 14 seed. They should be favored again.

They are 19-5 I think?

Just cannot see a 4 seed as Cinderella.

Now North Stokes still standing as 27 seed?

13-15 record?

Yep that's a Cinderella.

North Stokes is the one that keeps shocking me...three road wins in a row, guess the first round win wasn't shocking since it was a team they split with in regular season, and a team that was only hosting and in the tier of 1 seeds because they won their division of a split conference, did not see them getting by Chatham Charter or Union Academy though, it appears they have their work cut out for them at North Stanly

Not to knock Murphy at all, 4th round of state is great, but they beat an 8-13 team in 1st round. Then have beaten two YVC teams in next two rounds. All three games have been at home and they should have been favored. Their next game will also be at home against a 14 seed. They should be favored again. They are 19-5 I think? Just cannot see a 4 seed as Cinderella.

Now North Stokes still standing as 27 seed? 13-15 record? Yep that's a Cinderella.
We mostly agree, I don't think Murphy qualifies as a "cinderella", you don't win your conference with an undefeated record and enter the playoffs as some sort of underdog story, North Stokes on the other hand certainly fits the bill.

The only thing I was trying to represent was that Murphy were definitely an overlooked team and one that has as good a shot as any to play in the state title game. The original post asked the question "what are the surprise teams still left in the playoffs?" and I felt Murphy fit the bill based on the bracket and the general consensus on how it was going to play out.

All I would add is the fact that top to bottom the YVC is usually the strongest conference in the 1A west, so I'm not sure how that diminishes what they've accomplished thus far.

Last edited:
Man any time I can talk baseball on here is good. May have come across as putting down what Murphy has done but not meant that way. I just said they had played Uwharrie and West Montgomery at home and should have been favored in those games.

As a 4 seed they should have got this far. Murphy cannot help what has happened on other side of bracket. They have taken care of business, like they were supposed to, now they get another home game due to the upsets.

Good luck to them the rest of the way.

Reactions: mbdfan
I don't know about a Cinderella,but I do have a feel good story for you guys. Orange and West Brunswick played Tuesday night. Orange was up 1-0 in the bottom of the 7th with 1 out and up stepped senior Garrison Gause. Now Garrison lost his father to a long battle with cancer just before the playoffs started. With a 2-0 count, Garrison belted his 1st career home run and sent Orange and West Brunswick into extra innings. West Brunswick went on to win 2-1 in 9 innings, but from talking with people that were at the game, there was not a dry eye in that place including Garrison as he rounded the bases.

West Brunswick will travel to conference foe Topsail tomorrow night for a 4th round match up.

I don't know about a Cinderella,but I do have a feel good story for you guys. Orange and West Brunswick played Tuesday night. Orange was up 1-0 in the bottom of the 7th with 1 out and up stepped senior Garrison Gause. Now Garrison lost his father to a long battle with cancer just before the playoffs started. With a 2-0 count, Garrison belted his 1st career home run and sent Orange and West Brunswick into extra innings. West Brunswick went on to win 2-1 in 9 innings, but from talking with people that were at the game, there was not a dry eye in that place including Garrison as he rounded the bases.

West Brunswick will travel to conference foe Topsail tomorrow night for a 4th round match up.
Thanks.

Coolest thing I have heard in a while.

Reactions: Eagles/Trojans13
It does look like North Stokes is the highest seeded team remaining in all four brackets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT