ADVERTISEMENT

Chambers HC resigns?

I never said they didn't care about their players? I actually said the opposite in capital letters that MOST are coaching for that reason. Simply saying their salary plays a larger role into their decision making process than their care for the team. That's pretty obvious. If it didn't NC would not be losing coaches to other states as frequently as we are.
Preach

Are coaches salaries paid for by the state or revenue from the games or a combination of both? If paid by the state then I think teacher pay is probably much more important.

Coaching salaries are paid for and set by each individual school district. Coaches who also teach are paid by the state. With their coaching supplement coming from the local governments. As many on here have said. NC districts coaching supplements pale in comparison to many places in SC. A lot of places in SC pay assistants more than most NC Head Coaches

Every month, the subject of coaches salary comes up, and the same old historical discussion repeats.

Back to it.... Why did Coach leave Chambers? Did he resign or was he fired/asked to step down. In Interviews before/after the State Championship he was talking about the future at Chambers and said nothing about leaving. Makes me wonder if something went wrong and he was asked to resign? I'm not saying this is the case but it makes me wonder. With all that said does Chambers go with a coach on staff or do they go with an outsider? Get this right and Chambers continues to roll.... Get this wrong and we could see the power change hands again in the 704.

Back to it.... Why did Coach leave Chambers? Did he resign or was he fired/asked to step down. In Interviews before/after the State Championship he was talking about the future at Chambers and said nothing about leaving. Makes me wonder if something went wrong and he was asked to resign? I'm not saying this is the case but it makes me wonder. With all that said does Chambers go with a coach on staff or do they go with an outsider? Get this right and Chambers continues to roll.... Get this wrong and we could see the power change hands again in the 704.
When a motormouth revs up too high in the 704, the warning light flashes, smoke billows, and the whole thing blows up like an engine under the hood. Mike Tyson said "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"

I believe the coach was dismissed. They're effectively stating that because the Three-Peat didn't happen, the cancer must be eradicated.

When a motormouth revs up too high in the 704, the warning light flashes, smoke billows, and the whole thing blows up like an engine under the hood. Mike Tyson said "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"

I believe the coach was dismissed. They're effectively stating that because the Three-Peat didn't happen, the cancer must be eradicated.
Wow! everything is not what it seems on Twitter. 1st they get rid of their DC after winning multiple championships then they fire their HC after 3 games in a row at the championship game

I'm gonna tell you what. These coaches put in 60 hours a week during the season, easy. For between 2k-5k. 16 weeks to win a state title this year. So, yes they do coach for the kids. Why shouldn't they be compensated well for the impact they have on these students? Win or lose, most coaches bust their ass for the kids all year long. They deserve to be compensated better so they can support their family as well. This is why so many are leaving for SC or the career completely. Good thing is there will be lots of jobs open for the bleacher coaches to come on down out of the stands and help Monday-Sunday every week to see how things really are inside the locker room/coaches office.

Reactions: bigdadd11103
What's not being said is not only coaches, but there are teachers, leaving for other states or leaving the field entirely over NC handling of teachers and teacher salaries.
CMS I saw earlier this year had lost something like 900 teachers since August.

Have been told by a great source that even if they won he would have left/been let go.

To teach I'd assume, he was in the building, but needed certification for that or something and did not have it.
Each non-faculty coach (individual who is not teacher-certified) and each newly hired coach is required to take the "Fundamentals of Coaching" certification course on-line through the National Federation within 60 days of being hired in order to coach an NCHSAA team. All coaching staffs should be certified in this area by the end of the academic year.

That’s not what he’s talking about. He’s talking about getting his teacher certification.
Now I do know that if you are not a licensed teacher in NC and practically any state, you will not be able to teach in the public school system. Federal standards require that all public school teachers be certified and state licensed. In addition, complete an approved teacher preparation program. You must also participate in at least ten weeks of student teaching in a secondary setting. So if he was not certified, how was he able to teach from the beginning and much less hired initially?

Now I do know that if you are not a licensed teacher in NC and practically any state, you will not be able to teach in the public school system. Federal standards require that all public school teachers be certified and state licensed. In addition, complete an approved teacher preparation program. You must also participate in at least ten weeks of student teaching in a secondary setting.
I do know pre -COVID they gave you 3 years to get your full license. Not sure if it’s still like that. If so, this was his third year.

Reactions: btango
Now I do know that if you are not a licensed teacher in NC and practically any state, you will not be able to teach in the public school system. Federal standards require that all public school teachers be certified and state licensed. In addition, complete an approved teacher preparation program. You must also participate in at least ten weeks of student teaching in a secondary setting. So if he was not certified, how was he able to teach from the beginning and much less hired initially?
He was a teacher for several years in Virginia before coming to NC.

I know a teacher with a double major in biology and chemistry, with a minor in Spanish from a prestigious university. Masters in biology. Taught for three years as a lateral entry, but was still expected to take education courses to continue. With the struggles our public schools have getting and retaining good teachers, the state needs to come up with a better way to do that. The same person went and taught in a charter school, where that certification wasn’t required.

Yeah, it’s crazy and pay is horrible. Don’t know why NC is so stubborn/idiotic…

I would disagree. While the pay is embarrassing MOST of the coaches in the state and any other are not coaching for the money. They are coaching for the love of the game and the mentorship to young adults. This is especially true in small suburban NC. You enter large liberal cities you get a different response.
I am not 100% certain, and I could be wrong, that you are fully grasping small town community pride. Maybe you have
some experience outside of Charlotte but there are more than a few quality coaches in small towns that aren’t leaving for any reason.
Coaches in small areas have also left for better opportunities(mostly further south). From Lincoln, Cleveland, Catawba, Peterborough, McDowell, and Gaston counties, among others.

I have yet to see a coach(especially with a family) turn down 80 - 115k, to go to another state in a similar size town with similar support, citing 'community pride'.

If I'm under the sever stress of coaching(plus teaching) and dealing with rabid fans, and interfering helicopter parents, the extra money would cover my therapy costs.

Last edited:
Well if you’re in that situation you know when that 3 years is almost up (or up). Many know after 2 years whether they can pass the required exams or not.

Reactions: Bulldog301
When I was lateral entry, your transcript of your degree was examined and a course of study prescribed. You had three years to complete the needed classes and pass the praxis. The lateral entry process has changed since I went through it so I am not sure what it looks like now.

It’s usually not the praxis that is the problem. If you’re teaching and coaching football, doesn’t leave a lot of time for classes.
Coaches should probably be physical education teachers. I don't know how it is now, but that's how it was at my school. We played basketball and lift everyday in P.E. Seems like it would make the day easier for coaches to prep for their games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT