ADVERTISEMENT

Chambers HC resigns?

What does the Chamber High School Coaches Contract say about winning a title and then losing it?

I hear another big name Coach in Charlotte may be leaving SOON… This Coach has won a few state titles..

Headed back to VA from what I heard. Not sure I’d classify it as the best job in the state given current climate in CMS.
It's been the climate in CMS. Embarrassing what they pay their coaches. A Coach who wins numerous State Championships, will make the same stipend of a coach who wins 5 games in 3 years. No financial rewards for coaching in CMS. You're definitely not doing it for the money. Build up your resume, and get out.

Last edited:
It's not just CMS it's the entire State of NC! That's why it's so rare now a days to see coaches like Snow and Willert who have been at the same school 15-20 yrs. Everyone gets experience wins a few games and bounces. Frankly I don't blame any of them. Pay our dang coaches more

It's not just CMS it's the entire State of NC! That's why it's so rare now a days to see coaches like Snow and Willert who have been at the same school 15-20 yrs. Everyone gets experience wins a few games and bounces. Frankly I don't blame any of them. Pay our dang coaches more
I would disagree. While the pay is embarrassing MOST of the coaches in the state and any other are not coaching for the money. They are coaching for the love of the game and the mentorship to young adults. This is especially true in small suburban NC. You enter large liberal cities you get a different response.

I would disagree. While the pay is embarrassing MOST of the coaches in the state and any other are not coaching for the money. They are coaching for the love of the game and the mentorship to young adults. This is especially true in small suburban NC. You enter large liberal cities you get a different response.
Huh? U telling me Charlotte coaches dont care about the players? Would fully disagree. Charlotte coaches care very much and sacrifice themselves moreso than small suburban coaches IMHO.

That is true of Charlotte area coaches too. Raleigh as well. To insinuate that they are coaching for other reasons is ridiculous.

Huh? U telling me Charlotte coaches dont care about the players? Would fully disagree. Charlotte coaches care very much and sacrifice themselves moreso than small suburban coaches IMHO.
I never said they didn't care about their players? I actually said the opposite in capital letters that MOST are coaching for that reason. Simply saying their salary plays a larger role into their decision making process than their care for the team. That's pretty obvious. If it didn't NC would not be losing coaches to other states as frequently as we are.

You made the statement. U even biased it by saying liberal big city. Especially true small town. Your words
And neither of those statements are false? I made no statement that coaches in large liberal cities care less for their players, only that money is a larger factor. Large cities generally are liberal and I don't see coaches from Robbinsville or Reidsville heading to SC or Georgia for money. They tend to be products of the systems and proud to represent the schools they are at.

Reactions: UNC91
And neither of those statements are false? I made no statement that coaches in large liberal cities care less for their players, only that money is a larger factor. Large cities generally are liberal and I don't see coaches from Robbinsville or Reidsville heading to SC or Georgia for money. They tend to be products of the systems and proud to represent the schools they are at.
Well, both those coaches are older so highly doubt they’d move even if they were in a city, but winning at the same level/pace.

• Haha
Reactions: UNC91
If you make $70k in Charlotte I would say that is equivalent to $50k in the Robbinsville. The cost to live in a large city is usually more extreme than a small town. The large city districts normally see district lines moving every few years and teachers, principals being reassigned.

Moving to many areas in SC has a lower cost of living and more pay. If a coach has his retirement years in he is more limited.

More than that for many of them is going to where football is number one which is more like the small towns you cite. In Charlotte state champion coaches get nudged out for not being fully certified as they are required to teach a full schedule.

As a SC principal at a small town football power told me, "we do not let little things like education requirements get in the way of our football. Football is part of the town and certain people expect certain things."

I will close with, it is often as much about the work environment and the way they are treated as it is the money but if you are leaving go where you will be happy which may include making more money.

Until they are offered 20K more to represent another school in SC.
You can be proud as any, but when a chance comes to raise your salary that much(or more and $20K a year raise is a lot of money in education/HS coaching) and give your family a better life and you pass it up for community pride then I’d like to know what you are smoking.

Who will be the next HC will be the question: this job will attract some coaches and There some local coach that come to my mind for this job. Only time will tell - This will be the First Hire for the New AD at Chambers .

You can be proud as any, but when a chance comes to raise your salary that much(or more and $20K a year raise is a lot of money in education/HS coaching) and give your family a better life and you pass it up for community pride then I’d like to know what you are smoking.
I am not 100% certain, and I could be wrong, that you are fully grasping small town community pride. Maybe you have
some experience outside of Charlotte but there are more than a few quality coaches in small towns that aren’t leaving for any reason.

Reactions: SPRedRaider
I am not 100% certain, and I could be wrong, that you are fully grasping small town community pride. Maybe you have
some experience outside of Charlotte but there are more than a few quality coaches in small towns that aren’t leaving for any reason.
Lived outside of Charlotte before, parents live in a great small town north of the city now. Much easier to live where they do with low cost of living and such which tango hit on.
Got many a friend who coach in small communities or are from them. Different feel for sure, especially if you are from there. I grew up around powerhouse St. Thomas Aquinas in FL so maybe it’s just ignorance on my part, but like I said a raise of $20K or more is a pretty big deal for many. Especially if you are raising a family.

Also, being a product of a community more tight knit than any you’ll find in a city in Charlotte Catholic I get it in a sense. Tango’s commented on it many times

Lived outside of Charlotte before, parents live in a great small town north of the city now. Much easier to live where they do with low cost of living and such which tango hit on.
Got many a friend who coach in small communities or are from them. Different feel for sure, especially if you are from there. I grew up around powerhouse St. Thomas Aquinas in FL so maybe it’s just ignorance on my part, but like I said a raise of $20K or more is a pretty big deal for many. Especially if you are raising a family.
I have read your posts before and it’s certainly not ignorance on your part. Twenty K is a lot of money but sometimes money doesn’t buy what you are proud of and comfortable with. I see your point.

I envy small town sports. While New Hanover County has 234,000 people which is nothing compared to CLT, RDU and the Triad, it’s massive compared to the small eastern NC communities.

As best I can tell, it’s me and Port City that post on this board from
Wilmington. WRH has about 6.

When I played American Legion baseball in 1980 we were lucky to get 200 at a playoff game. There would be 1500 when we played Rowan County watching batting practice before the game!

Reactions: OptionFreak
The pay raise one of my friends received was nearly a 60% pay increase when he left CMS. That is a difference maker.

Reactions: Veejay4
I envy small town sports. While New Hanover County has 234,000 people which is nothing compared to CLT, RDU and the Triad, it’s massive compared to the small eastern NC communities.

As best I can tell, it’s me and Port City that post on this board from
Wilmington. WRH has about 6.

When I played American Legion baseball in 1980 we were lucky to get 200 at a playoff game. There would be 1500 when we played Rowan County watching batting practice before the game!
Back in the 1960''s well into the 1990's there was nothing like going to Newman Park to watch a really good Legion opponent come to play Rowan. Crazy.

Before we played up there for the state championship our coach, Buck Hardee, said, “men, we are going to play a mill town. They are going to pay the admission and get their moneys worth”. They did. Great fans!!!

I think he and coach Ferrebe,(sp) had some great battles over the years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT