ADVERTISEMENT

Catholic @ East Forsyth

2012 was NG right?? He was the Shrine bowl kid and the ND committ i believe

Yes 2012 was when Northern Guilford destroyed CC in the title game. Harrell was a Shrine Bowler and just wrapped up his R-Sr season at ND, believe he saw a lot of time at guard this year for the Irish, but not sure.

Passing will not be an issue for East... they have the best 4 man secondary in the area... if not the state. all VERY good. Go watch the film from this past week again. 9 and 82 are the best two DL Catholic has. The two DTs will be a liability vs East. 10 at LB covers a lot for those two.

Passing will not be an issue for East... they have the best 4 man secondary in the area... if not the state. all VERY good. Go watch the film from this past week again. 9 and 82 are the best two DL Catholic has. The two DTs will be a liability vs East. 10 at LB covers a lot for those two.
I've watched it several times and the East film several times, however, have not been watching DL. Will watch it more this go around, I'm not too worried about the EF secondary especially if CC moves the ball well off tackle with leads and powers.

I agree that the baclend for EF is elite. Best in the state and it allows them to do some different stuff on defense but its sort of a different passing attack then they normally see with so much coming off misdirection with that Wing T. I wonder if its as much a advantage for them on this game.

By the way, cvaughn since you've let us know who you are I do want to say your kids played admirably on Friday night. Very classy all the way through.

How are EFs special teams? Catholic's kicker has been hit or miss this year, but has improved a good bit since he got thrown into action after week 1.
Catholic has some good returners, one in particular on punts Brian Jacobs has had two punt returns called back because of holdings calls, but he is one of the shiftiest returners I have seen in quite some time.

How are EFs special teams? Catholic's kicker has been hit or miss this year, but has improved a good bit since he got thrown into action after week 1.
Catholic has some good returners, one in particular on punts Brian Jacobs has had two punt returns called back because of holdings calls, but he is one of the shiftiest returners I have seen in quite some time.

East Forsyth thrives off special teams. They return the football very well and work a lot on there special teams. For instance the page game east had a punt return for a touchdown, East Forsyth has killed teams on special teams this season as well as the past few seasons.

East Forsyth thrives off special teams. They return the football very well and work a lot on there special teams. For instance the page game east had a punt return for a touchdown, East Forsyth has killed teams on special teams this season as well as the past few seasons.
Then it should be pretty even there. Early in the season CC struggled with tackling on special teams but has really cleaned it up as of late.

East will run the ball ALL night I watched film on CC and they should dominate with EASE
Catholic's strong suit has been against the run this year especially as of late. So I don't think just running the ball will "dominate CC with EASE"

That's true watched that film also and Parkland also came out and punched CC in the mouth early
Yeah go re-watch that first drive. Missed tackles galore. When CC tackles and isn't sloppy you get the ensuing 48-0 run and 48-14 like last week.

East will run the ball ALL night I watched film on CC and they should dominate with EASE
Don't know if I agree with this statement. I think that both teams are loaded with great players and a great scheme. This will be a hell of a football game and neither team in my mind will dominate with EASE

I agree with the Catholic fans that I think their system sort of neutralizes the DBs for East Forsyth. Everything they do in the passing game is playaction. With that said they don't depend on 1on1s and great route running. They depend on your DBs falling a sleep for a split second then the TE and Wing getting 1 step past your safety and its 30 yards. Those Wing T schools only want to complete about 10 of those a game then rush for about 230. Now if they lined up in spread I would say yes East has an advantage. One thing that nobody has mentioned and I don't know if this will have any effect on the game but the EF DC was at NWG for 8 to 10 years and they were a Wing T school under coach Woodruff. He was a defensive coach but he was def around that system for a long time. At the end of the day It will come down to what everyone has already said. Can East play discipline assignment football for 48 minutes? Can East score when they have the ball? Can Catholic establish their run game and keep East off balance? Like I said before this should be a Hell of a game and I can't wait for Friday night. To the Catholic fans I think you will like it at East Forsyth. I'm a NWG fan and for the most part the fans at EF are really friendly. Its a great atmosphere for HS Football. When I went to the West and MC games last year it was packed and their may of been 8,000 people there but it felt like 75,000.

Don't know if I agree with this statement. I think that both teams are loaded with great players and a great scheme. This will be a hell of a football game and neither team in my mind will dominate with EASE

The above post is the best one I've read from someone who I believe is not a Catholic supporter.

I don't think coach Willert or the team will, but what I'm noticing from a few posters already, is a little bit of underestimating Catholic. That's understandable though. I've lived in Charlotte since 2009, have seen a few of their games, seen highlights of them just about every week, and heck, I still underestimate them at times.

But, it's also a huge mistake. With many teams you read about D1 prospects on the field, this elite player(s) or that elite player(s). What you get from Catholic, which can be deadly, is team, machine like precision. To beat them, you've got to have the right scheme and you have to play disciplined ball. If you don't, you'll pay for it.

This should be a very good ball game. Catholic travels very well, which will make for a great atmosphere. Should be a very good game.

The above post is the best one I've read from someone who I believe is not a Catholic supporter.

I don't think coach Willert or the team will, but what I'm noticing from a few posters already, is a little bit of underestimating Catholic. That's understandable though. I've lived in Charlotte since 2009, have seen a few of their games, seen highlights of them just about every week, and heck, I still underestimate them at times.

But, it's also a huge mistake. With many teams you read about D1 prospects on the field, this elite player(s) or that elite player(s). What you get from Catholic, which can be deadly, is team, machine like precision. To beat them, you've got to have the right scheme and you have to play disciplined ball. If you don't, you'll pay for it.

This should be a very good ball game. Catholic travels very well, which will make for a great atmosphere. Should be a very good game.

Honda,
I promise you that the EF coaches are not underestimating Catholic. I've said it before how could you underestimate a team like CC that is always in the running for States every year? They are the most consistent team in Charlotte. Some of these people just come on here to get the Charlotte fans stirred up and then take off soon as the game is over. When you get this close to the championship I don't think any teams overlook anyone. Both teams will prepare like there is no tomorrow because all that's promised is 1 game Friday night!

Reactions: BGOD2013
By the way, cvaughn since you've let us know who you are I do want to say your kids played admirably on Friday night. Very classy all the way through.

Thanks for that. I don't post often, and I probably shouldn't have here... but your comments on coaching over the past weeks got to me. There are a lot of coaches that work really hard every day of every week, of every month, of every year... and to have that work trampled on is pretty irritating. I'm not one to hide behind a screen name, so I don't post often... but you got me on that one. Thank you again for the kind words, our young men have bought into the process and worked hard. Went from 5-6 to 9-4 and barring Catholic game last Friday, were in every game in the 4th quarter.

Hope both of you will be attending Friday?! It'll be a GREAT game to see!
I will be there. Will be on the field, feel free to introduce yourself, excited to see what EF brings in terms of a crowd. Based on warheads comments my expectations are high. I expect Catholic to travel well too. Should be packed.

Thanks for that. I don't post often, and I probably shouldn't have here... but your comments on coaching over the past weeks got to me. There are a lot of coaches that work really hard every day of every week, of every month, of every year... and to have that work trampled on is pretty irritating. I'm not one to hide behind a screen name, so I don't post often... but you got me on that one. Thank you again for the kind words, our young men have bought into the process and worked hard. Went from 5-6 to 9-4 and barring Catholic game last Friday, were in every game in the 4th quarter.
Just so you know I'm not saying that other coaches are not good or cannot stack up. I look at coaching as adjustments in game and Catholic's staff has done a great job at using their system to make adjustments. The Butler staff is another one that comes to mind that is very good at adjusting. I never meant any disrespect to any coaches though.

Honda,
I promise you that the EF coaches are not underestimating Catholic. I've said it before how could you underestimate a team like CC that is always in the running for States every year? They are the most consistent team in Charlotte. Some of these people just come on here to get the Charlotte fans stirred up and then take off soon as the game is over. When you get this close to the championship I don't think any teams overlook anyone. Both teams will prepare like there is no tomorrow because all that's promised is 1 game Friday night!
East Forsyth is well aware of who they are playing and that they are playing the defending state champion. The coaches, the players trust me they all know how big this game is friday.

I will be there. Will be on the field, feel free to introduce yourself, excited to see what EF brings in terms of a crowd. Based on warheads comments my expectations are high. I expect Catholic to travel well too. Should be packed.

Only game in Forsyth county that night, it will be standing room only.

Honda,

I already said in my post that I don't think coach Willert or the players are underestimating Catholic. I was talking about some posters.

I'll be on the field to just on a different side of the field

People would say Saban is a better coach than Cutcliffe on paper if you're just factoring in records, championships and sometimes decision making. I contest Cutcliffe is as good a coach or better because he does more with less. Point being is to suggest N Guilford coaching is better than East Forsyth based on your analysis is no guarantee. Class, brackets in playoffs, injuries etc....all factor into a coach being able to get the job done. We could poke the recruiting angle N Guilford benefited from and quite honestly since that was address they haven't been the same. I wouldn't go so far as to say N Guilford staff is better than Willert and his staff instead I would contend N Guilford were the beneficiaries of some favorable situations. Coaches blow games all the time. Good or bad coaching is more schematic, putting your personnel in positions to succeed etc....Many coaches make bad calls on a whim or a situation but to narrow Willerts ability to coach on blowing games is unfair. Speaking of fair you can't justly mention N Guilford without the recruiting and it's awful ironic how they've fallen since their high school was addressed.

If the fans show up like they did for the West Forsyth East Forsyth 3rd rd game last year it will be fun especially for the players and coaches. Fans were lined 5 deep all the way around the fence around the track. I got there early and had a 50 yd line seat on the Visitors side. East fans normally arrive right at 7:15 and the line to get in is all the way around the school. Like posters have said horrible parking at East Forsyth so get there early or bring your walking shoes cause you will park on the side of the road a mile away from the stadium.

The stadium will appear empty until seven. The East Forsyth student section will buy tickets and then gather as a group to be searched by police just to prevent any illegal drinks into the game, one game last year a student also brought a large firework into the game. The game will be packed from fans from all over Forsyth county.

Dear @cathoiccougs14

The more and more I watch the film I see the three same problems arising. One the fact that the play-action pass kills Catholic. The outside line backer crashes on the run every time and leaves the slot open. In unique plays I've seen three Wr's covered by one DB and one safety 15 yards off. If need be I can give you the play numbers because I think you have access to the film like I do.

The next two problems really is a combine of one other. Catholic is fast but sometimes struggles to take down the ball carrier. This is a problem with Beal because he's had guys on his back and carried them for 10 yards after contact. I also see the biggest miss match at the TE position. East offense has D1 TE commit to NCCU. Mount Tabor used #88 to score and what scares me is the fact that East TE is even bigger than him. I think you are going to see a high scoring game. The Catholic offense and East offense honestly have great matchups. Just going to be a question of what defense can make the most stops

Sorry commenting about early post concerning coaching. I'm a Forsyth Co. dude also but try to keep the emotion out. I believe East is going to have to do the most adjusting initially considering the Wing T isn't as popular as it was years back so familiarity wont be at East disposal Friday. How fast East can adjust to the precision in which Catholic runs that offense will be a determining factor. I understand those kids run that O from itty-bitty all the way to high school. You can't simulate second nature. I've great respect for Catholic from afar and look forward to a greatly contested game and a rabid fan base. They do travel well as I've heard.

Dear @cathoiccougs14

The more and more I watch the film I see the three same problems arising. One the fact that the play-action pass kills Catholic. The outside line backer crashes on the run every time and leaves the slot open. In unique plays I've seen three Wr's covered by one DB and one safety 15 yards off. If need be I can give you the play numbers because I think you have access to the film like I do.

The next two problems really is a combine of one other. Catholic is fast but sometimes struggles to take down the ball carrier. This is a problem with Beal because he's had guys on his back and carried them for 10 yards after contact. I also see the biggest miss match at the TE position. East offense has D1 TE commit to NCCU. Mount Tabor used #88 to score and what scares me is the fact that East TE is even bigger than him. I think you are going to see a high scoring game. The Catholic offense and East offense honestly have great matchups. Just going to be a question of what defense can make the most stops

LOL....Thanks for the insight. I am sure coach Brodwicz is glad your around to point out the weakness in his defense. You clearly have a great eye for detail and I love the fact that Catholic is 45-5 over the last 4 years and you unlocked their inability to bring down ball carriers, cant handle play action and struggle with big TE's. Dude, have you considered calling Saban??

Reactions: Warhead1
No dog in this fight but what stands out for Catholic on film is they go at it 100 percent. This game will come down to which defense can make the adjustments. The defensive coordinator from NWG will definitely help East against this offense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT