ADVERTISEMENT

Butler vs Independence 4th Rd

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
Going to be an interesting matchup. Both teams are playing good ball. Any thoughts with this game.

I much rather travel up the mountain to play Watauga than play Independence at home. I think it’s tough to beat a good team twice. I think back to when Mallard Creek, Hough or Chambers would play each other during the regular season only to lose the rematch during the playoffs.

I think Independence has nothing to lose and can play free and aggressive because they would be the underdog. This game probably worries me more than the Grimsley/Weddington winner if Butler were to advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Butler is hitting on all cylinders right now. If it weren’t for a muffed punt and bad snap Butler probably wins by 3+ tds in their first match up. Indy is playing good football, but if they want to have a chance in this game they need to put the ball in #21 hands. Butlers oline and dline totally dominated the first game, and I think that happens again on Friday. Give me butler by 2-3 tds.

The last time these two played Butler won 35-23. I could possibly see a closer game. But I’m going with Butler.

McFadden coached at Butler so there is familiarity with the scheme and vise versa. It will be a tough game for sure

Butler has had the easiest road to the 4A Title..The best team they played was an #11 seed and I'm not sure West Forsyth was a legit #11. I think they struggle a lil' bit and pull out a late win 29-28 over Indy.

Butler has had the easiest road to the 4A Title..The best team they played was an #11 seed and I'm not sure West Forsyth was a legit #11. I think they struggle a lil' bit and pull out a late win 29-28 over Indy.
Butler was seeded as a six seed and played who was in front of them. I think they were under seeded hypothetically if Butler was moved up to a three seed, theoretically wouldn’t they still be rolling teams up to this point now? If Butler played Weddington instead of Independence most people would lean Butler. I think it would be tough just like Butler playing Independence.

Football is all about matchups. Butlers oline has completely dominated teams all season. Indy doesn't have anyone on their starting dline over the weight of 230 on their dline. Indy had to stack the box because of this and still struggled to stop the run. Butler has proven to be able to air the ball out when they need to. Weather that be to #4, #17, #14, #11, and #3 they have a balanced attack. Hales and Stone might be the best coaching duo in the state by far. The way they completely out coached the Langston Hughes coaching staff makes me believe they can beat anyone in the state. I just don't see this game being any more closer than 14 pts.

Reactions: Ladge
Butler went on the road and beat National rank Langston Hughes in Atlanta. I truly believe that experience will lead them to the state title game

Football is all about matchups. Butlers oline has completely dominated teams all season. Indy doesn't have anyone on their starting dline over the weight of 230 on their dline. Indy had to stack the box because of this and still struggled to stop the run. Butler has proven to be able to air the ball out when they need to. Weather that be to #4, #17, #14, #11, and #3 they have a balanced attack. Hales and Stone might be the best coaching duo in the state by far. The way they completely out coached the Langston Hughes coaching staff makes me believe they can beat anyone in the state. I just don't see this game being any more closer than 14 pts.
Did Rollesville handle BUTLER 🤭

Is this the matchup that yearly used to be held at the big stadium neutral site during regular season each year or was that independent vs someone else?

Unless Mecklenburg parks changes it will never be Memorial Stadium anymore. The only high school games will have to be sponsored events. Meck wants 35-40K to rent out Memorial.

Did Rollesville handle BUTLER 🤭
Butler was missing several players including their most dynamic offensive weapon #4. Butler had multiple goal to go opportunities to take the lead and win the game, but due to a 3 interceptions including a pick 6 and a muffed punt that didn’t happen. Butler held arguably the 2nd best offense putting up nearly 50+ pts a game to just 14. Rolesville is a great team and my pick to come out the east, but butler wins that game 9 times out of 10.

Unless Mecklenburg parks changes it will never be Memorial Stadium anymore. The only high school games will have to be sponsored events. Meck wants 35-40K to rent out Memorial.
This was at Memorial from 2002 till about 2012. There were some years where Memorial Stadium was going through renovations so it was moved to Providence. My understanding is Butler requested this to be played at home to keep the home field advantage.

Butler was missing several players including their most dynamic offensive weapon #4. Butler had multiple goal to go opportunities to take the lead and win the game, but due to a 3 interceptions including a pick 6 and a muffed punt that didn’t happen. Butler held arguably the 2nd best offense putting up nearly 50+ pts a game to just 14. Rolesville is a great team and my pick to come out the east, but butler wins that game 9 times out of 10.
Hales said that loss was a blessing because it made the message a lot louder. Butler has to play focused and not take a plays off. To hold the second best offense to 14 points with starters missing in hindsight is really impressive.

Reactions: Veek45
Players being hurt is part of the game next man up. Rolesville held alot against grimsley ! Thats the reason for the massive yards . Some refrees literally stand there see it and wont call nothing at all . That white hat friday didnt throw one flag ..... If Rolesville lucky enough they play grimsley again same result.

This was at Memorial from 2002 till about 2012. There were some years where Memorial Stadium was going through renovations so it was moved to Providence. My understanding is Butler requested this to be played at home to keep the home field advantage.
Think 2009 regional final at Providence was the last time these two teams played at a neutral site. The regular season game was played at Indy and required pre-purchase tickets in line. It was packed and what a game.

Think 2009 regional final at Providence was the last time these two teams played at a neutral site. The regular season game was played at Indy and required pre-purchase tickets in line. It was packed and what a game.
Meck games don’t seem to be the same

The game at Providence was amazing. Butler finally beat Indy in the playoffs and it was a blowout. The atmosphere was electric. It was Knotts last game at Indy.

The game at Providence was amazing. Butler finally beat Indy in the playoffs and it was a blowout. The atmosphere was electric. It was Knotts last game at Indy.
Indy had the ball on the one going in for the score. RB had ball knocked out of his hands going over the top and ball got kicked back out to about the 30. That was a huge momentum swing. Butler dominated the second half winning by three TDs. That was the first year Butler really dominated the line of scrimmage against Indy.

Indy had the ball on the one going in for the score. RB had ball knocked out of his hands going over the top and ball got kicked back out to about the 30. That was a huge momentum swing. Butler dominated the second half winning by three TDs. That was the first year Butler really dominated the line of scrimmage against Indy.

Congratulations to Indy, I had a funny feeling about this game because of the rivalry and it’s hard to beat a good team twice.

A wasted effort from Butler’s defense, the offense let them down.

Reactions: onioncfb
I much rather travel up the mountain to play Watauga than play Independence at home. I think it’s tough to beat a good team twice. I think back to when Mallard Creek, Hough or Chambers would play each other during the regular season only to lose the rematch during the playoffs.

I think Independence has nothing to lose and can play free and aggressive because they would be the underdog. This game probably worries me more than the Grimsley/Weddington winner if Butler were to advance.
I had that feeling and I was correct although I thought Butler would win in a close one. Indy wanted it more

Congratulations to Indy, I had a funny feeling about this game because of the rivalry and it’s hard to beat a good team twice.

I agree, but the Independence defense played better than I thought they could, and deserve a lot of credit. I thought it would be a high scoring shoot out, but somehow the Independence defense hung in for 48 minutes.

Congratulations to Independence. I missed this call. But only one other than the Grimsley game which I’m not surprised Weddington won.

Agreed. This game reminded me a lot of the rolesville loss. Defense held a very good offense to 10, but the offense just couldn’t get going. Oline just simply didn’t dominate like they did the first time and I think that’s was the game changer. I thought indy would really come out and commit to the run a lot more than they did the first game and that’s what they did. I think Butler did a fairly good job stopping any runs up the middle, but they struggled setting the edge and #21 Jones popped a few long runs. Indy also utilized #7 Little’s legs a lot more this time around, which combined with #21 Jones who ran angry really helped control the time of possession. I think overall, Butlers defense played about as well as you can ask. The offense just really could not get anything to consistently work. Credit to the patriot defense and the entire coaching staff. I truly believe this was Butlers best chance to add ring #4 for at least the next 3-4 years. Especially now considering weddington handled grimsley. I thought Butler matched up very well with weddington and could beat them again, but we’ll never know for sure. Honestly just glad to see this rivalry return to its glory days. Congratulations to Independence on a huge win.

Agreed. This game reminded me a lot of the rolesville loss. Defense held a very good offense to 10, but the offense just couldn’t get going. Oline just simply didn’t dominate like they did the first time and I think that’s was the game changer. I thought indy would really come out and commit to the run a lot more than they did the first game and that’s what they did. I think Butler did a fairly good job stopping any runs up the middle, but they struggled setting the edge and #21 Jones popped a few long runs. Indy also utilized #7 Little’s legs a lot more this time around, which combined with #21 Jones who ran angry really helped control the time of possession. I think overall, Butlers defense played about as well as you can ask. The offense just really could not get anything to consistently work. Credit to the patriot defense and the entire coaching staff. I truly believe this was Butlers best chance to add ring #4 for at least the next 3-4 years. Especially now considering weddington handled grimsley. I thought Butler matched up very well with weddington and could beat them again, but we’ll never know for sure. Honestly just glad to see this rivalry return to its glory days. Congratulations to Independence on a huge win.
Yeah i agree they kinda blew a chance at ring number four and they will look back at this as a missed opportunity. Butler had the defense to win it all this year it sucks that the offense let them down which is typically a strength for Butler.

Rules question.

Independence tries field goal which is blocked by Butler and the ball rolls about 2 or 3 yards beyond line of scrimmage where is is picked up by Independence player and advanced into the end zone. There was apparently no whistle and the official nearest the play clearly signaled TD Independence. (If it matters, I don't believe the ball was touched by a Butler player after the kick was blocked.) After protests by Butler coach and much discussion among the officials the call was reversed, the TD was waved off, and possession was given to Butler. It appeared very obvious that the officials did not know the rule.

In what appears to be an abandoned area of this site called "Ask the Ref" two similar situations were discussed and in both cases it said TD's WERE ALLOWED for the kicking team.

Any comments?

Reactions: bigdadd11103
Congratulations to Independence. I missed this call. But only one other than the Grimsley game which I’m not surprised Weddington won.
You sure seem to always pick games well.... Why dont u ever enter any pick em contests? Every week I see you say well I only missed one or two games this week... And im like dang this guy is good

You sure seem to always pick games well.... Why dont u ever enter any pick em contests? Every week I see you say well I only missed one or two games this week... And im like dang this guy is good
Thanks. I may well enter the contest next year.

Reactions: KW23
Straight Scope ,

I believe the same thing happened to Mallard Creek at Byrnes in 2015. Mallard Creek lined up for a last second fg that was blocked as time expired. A Mallard Creek player picked it up and advanced it for a game winning TD but it was ruled on field that it can't be advanced. It was not ruled as a TD and reversed in that game.

Reactions: Straight Scope
Rules question.

Independence tries field goal which is blocked by Butler and the ball rolls about 2 or 3 yards beyond line of scrimmage where is is picked up by Independence player and advanced into the end zone. There was apparently no whistle and the official nearest the play clearly signaled TD Independence. (If it matters, I don't believe the ball was touched by a Butler player after the kick was blocked.) After protests by Butler coach and much discussion among the officials the call was reversed, the TD was waved off, and possession was given to Butler. It appeared very obvious that the officials did not know the rule.

In what appears to be an abandoned area of this site called "Ask the Ref" two similar situations were discussed and in both cases it said TD's WERE ALLOWED for the kicking team.

Any comments?
Good to see you scope. That play confused me too. From my understanding if the ball is blocked beyond the LOS(forward) and the blocking team does not touch it its dead and goes as blocked kick. If the ball is blocked and it goed behind the LOS its a live ball and the offense or defense can pick it up and run. In this situation the refs discussed it and correct call was made. When i saw it i said Indy cant advance it. The ball was blocked forward

Reactions: Straight Scope
Independence 10 Butler 7 Final

I wonder how many teams have played 4 road games in the playoffs and made it to the final 4? This is likely the first time that has ever happened.
Scotland 2018 beat the #7, #2,#3,#1 seeds all on the road back to back
then lost 35-28 to east forsyth in the championship game, the first three
of those game all went to the final 30 seconds before being decided, then shutout 71st in regional final after losing to them during the year, then the title game that was close all the way..
one less round but 4 road wins and made the title game after finishing year
5-5

Independence has triumphed over all challenges and outlasted all superpowers that were predicted to last but were unable to hold on. It is "the underdog" that no one has been cheering for.

Good to see you scope. That play confused me too. From my understanding if the ball is blocked beyond the LOS(forward) and the blocking team does not touch it its dead and goes as blocked kick. If the ball is blocked and it goed behind the LOS its a live ball and the offense or defense can pick it up and run. In this situation the refs discussed it and correct call was made. When i saw it i said Indy cant advance it. The ball was blocked forward
Thanks for the clarification.

Scotland 2018 beat the #7, #2,#3,#1 seeds all on the road back to back
then lost 35-28 to east forsyth in the championship game, the first three
of those game all went to the final 30 seconds before being decided, then shutout 71st in regional final after losing to them during the year, then the title game that was close all the way..
one less round but 4 road wins and made the title game after finishing year
5-5
So not only has it happened before, it wasn't even that long ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT