ADVERTISEMENT

Boys games; charter schools

It doesnt matter 3daughters. You guys have a distinct advantage. Just freaking admit it. My daughter will play at a charter high school and they have a distinct advantage over trie 1a programs as well. Off the top of my head her middle school team draws from at least 5 high schools. And thats at least. Probably more. And they dont even recruit. So yes its an advantage just like Bishop has.

Last edited:
hey griddie, I have been "freaking" admitting it for the last DECADE that I have been posting here. Every and I mean every Bishop fan that has posted on this site has said the same thing: that Bishop has an advantage but not to the extent that you believe. But you guys have demonized the 3 Catholic schools (hell Charlotte Catholic and Gibbons have been great members of the NCHSAA for OVER 60 years yet there was a vote to remove them), have demonized the charter schools and continue demonizing the NCHSAA (being incompetent, being "on the take" etc.) Mt. Airy has won multiple state championships in football and basketball with players that lived out of their district yet posters like bareman and fridaynightlights on here doing the "poor old us" routine. Don't even get started about the SMC. Charters are a result of the dissatisfaction with the public schools in this state and are loved by the State Legislature. They're not going away, they are public high schools and their students will play in whatever classification their ADMIN numbers put them in so quit demonizing the NCHSAA as no one is saying that there is a level playing field.But then there never was a level playing field in the good old days either.

Reactions: MDS80
Mount Airy's last 2 state championships came in 1968 & 2008 in football and I around 1992 and in the 60s in basketball in boys play.

I am sorry I meant 2002 when they beat Plymouth at the Dean Smith Ctr. not 1992 . LOL
It gets harder every year to deal with the unevan playing field we are forced to deal with.

I am sorry I meant 2002 when they beat Plymouth at the Dean Smith Ctr. not 1992 . LOL
It gets harder every year to deal with the unevan playing field we are forced to deal with.

You mean that you are now on the lower end (not the lowest end since we still know of what goes on in Surry County) of that playing field after decades of being on the other end...lol

I mean one state championships in basketball ( 2002 ) in 30+ years and non sence 2002, (Boys) an untill something is done, triditional schools may never win another state championships . You said ( Mt. Airy has won multiple state championships in football and basketball )
It is so sad for these kids state wide that work so hard to get there only to have it robbed fom them by a stacked deck !

Last edited:
Excuses. Any multiple 1a public schools have beaten Prep. I guess some people make excuses for everything

Excuses. Any multiple 1a public schools have beaten Prep. I guess some people make excuses for everything
East Carteret has beaten them once and Mount Airy has beaten them once in maybe the past 3 years. Yes we've played them 3 times in the past 3 years and never won but, Mount Airy who was ranked 1st in 1A for most of the year went 1 and 2 against Prep. Yes, Prep has lost multiple games this year but only 1 of those came to a 1A team. I truly think if Avery was in the same conference they would at least split the past few years.

Mount Airy, East Surry, Bishop have beaten WS Prep - conference; North Rowan and East Carteret - playoffs

Not many 1As schools at all. NR is currently 2A but was 1A when they beat them.

Not sure if North Stokes beat them or not.

Mount Airy, East Surry, Bishop have beaten WS Prep - conference; North Rowan and East Carteret - playoffs

Not many 1As schools at all. NR is currently 2A but was 1A when they beat them.

Not sure if North Stokes beat them or not.
I'm pretty sure North Stokes hasn't beaten them. Will you give me your honest opinion on something Deana?

I'm sure it could be possible. I thought Starmount had a good chance last year, but Prep made plays and the Rams didn't.

I honestly dont think it would be a bad idea of Avery played them in a non conference game. Just to get a feel before post season

Sorry, but no State Championships. Avery could not have beaten East Carteret.

I have a lot of respect for E.Cartret and have enjoyed hearing from Marinersgold this season. I will not say that we would have for sure won the state Championship if we would have played, but you can't say that E.Carteret would have won for sure either. I do know that it would have been a very competitive game, but to say that Avery has 0 chance of beating E.Carteret is quite funny, but what isn't funny at all is both of these programs have been cut down by programs that draw from the same numbers as a 4A (and sometimes even from more than 4A) then compete with 1A.

Last edited:
Reactions: AHVikingNation
I honestly dont think it would be a bad idea of Avery played them in a non conference game. Just to get a feel before post season

I don't think that its a bad idea. I would have been all for it but the travel might be the problem. Its along way down there and I know for them it is a long way up the mountain. You can justify that in the playoffs but it would be harder in a regular season non conference game. I know that we play in some what a weak basketball conference coach Polsgrove understands that and does a good job putting together a tough non conference schedule. I know that we play in a lot of 3A/4A tournaments around Christmas.

Bears have beaten Prep twice in last 2 years...shared the reg season title both years

no "poor old us" here...Bears beat Bishop and Prep yearly now (girls are getting close) my argument is the way it's handled..keep them in a league...I understand there's no way you just kick them out...not going to happen but come playoff time maybe look at different playoff systems...mags preps charters and private go one way..traditional another...there's tooooo much noise being made now that this issue seriously has to be looked....

Reactions: sbbbfan
Bears have beaten Prep twice in last 2 years...shared the reg season title both years

From playing in the NW1A Mt. Airy is not intimidated playing prep I remember West Stokes being the same way. It also helped that Clay Mounce played aau in Winston-Salem with a few of preps players and knew he was on their level or above. Clay actually played his best games against prep he was more aggressive against prep than other teams in the conference and the boxscore showed. You can't control your conference opponents but one travel game even if it's a long ride will prepare you the playoffs. Lastly the summer is where players improve so if you can get your best players to play higher level competition over the summer it will show. Clay from Mt airy , Zach from Hayesville and and even East Cateret had a player come play AAU in Winston-Salem over the summer.

no conference tourney last year due to weather...Bears /Prep split games last 2 years in reg season...Prep beat us in this years conf tourney....

I have a lot of respect for E.Cartret and have enjoyed hearing from Marinersgold this season. I will not say that we would have for sure won the state Championship if we would have played, but you can't say that E.Carteret would have won for sure either. I do know that it would have been a very competitive game, but to say that Avery has 0 chance of beating E.Carteret is quite funny, but what isn't funny at all is both of these programs have been cut down by programs that draw from the same numbers as a 4A (and sometimes even from more than 4A) then compete with 1A.
East Carteret lost to Prep by 1 and beat Prep by 3. Prep beats Avery by double digits. East beats Avery by double digits. But I do understand the frustration of the so called "traditional" schools. I would prefer for WS Prep and schools like Lincoln. Charter, Voyager etc. Form their own league. The lack of quality competition in he Playoffs does not test our kids and yes it has become a joke

Why yeah everyone in 1A can hang with them. They have been around 12 seasons and after next week will have 5 championships in girls basketball and 4 championships in boys, so they got 9 championship over all. So that means they have went a whole 3 seasons out of 12 without winning a trophy in basketball. Them was tough times for them. Rotfl.

After watching WS Prep and Lincoln Charter play today I have to say that our Eagles were the better team. Also, neither one of these teams is loaded with what everyone says "4A advantage" talent. I saw two teams that were well coached and passionate about playing the game of basketball. Yes, Prep is athletic but that doesn't make them any better than any other 1A team. And I didn't see the "depth" advantage everyone talks about. They only played about 7-8 guys. And Lincoln Charter just plays hard. They get everything out of those kids. Both teams played an outstanding game and represented the West 1A very well. Good job by both teams. I hate that it didn't go into overtime where I think Lincoln Charter would have won. Looking forward to next season.

East Carteret lost to Prep by 1 and beat Prep by 3. Prep beats Avery by double digits. East beats Avery by double digits. But I do understand the frustration of the so called "traditional" schools. I would prefer for WS Prep and schools like Lincoln. Charter, Voyager etc. Form their own league. The lack of quality competition in he Playoffs does not test our kids and yes it has become a joke

Coach you cannot say that E.Carteret beats Avery, especially by double digits. I cannot say that Avery beats E.Carteret. You can say you think that would happen if they were to play. It acutally surprised me how much E. Carteret struggled in the 1st couple of rounds of the tournament, but I dont look at 1 or 2 scores and base anything off of them, basketball is all about matchups not common oppents. Also i think that you should know the Avery/Prep game was in the single digits all the way up to late in the 4th when their dept wore us out and us fouling to stop the clock helped them "pad the stats" a little bit toward the end. The fact is both are great programs and I think if they would have played it would have been a barn burner that could have went either way. I have a lot of respect for E.Carteret as I have already mentioned and their fans (the ones on here) seem to be informed level headed individuals so I won't take any shots at them. I would have loved to have meet in the championship though so we could have a week of back and forth before the game, then get to see the end result on the hardwood, and I have a feeling if the prep, charters, and Academys had their own league we would see one heck of a game from these two traditional programs.

After watching WS Prep and Lincoln Charter play today I have to say that our Eagles were the better team. Also, neither one of these teams is loaded with what everyone says "4A advantage" talent. I saw two teams that were well coached and passionate about playing the game of basketball. Yes, Prep is athletic but that doesn't make them any better than any other 1A team. And I didn't see the "depth" advantage everyone talks about. They only played about 7-8 guys. And Lincoln Charter just plays hard. They get everything out of those kids. Both teams played an outstanding game and represented the West 1A very well. Good job by both teams. I hate that it didn't go into overtime where I think Lincoln Charter would have won. Looking forward to next season.

Hold the presses,charter school says that Prep Advantage isn't as good as traditional schools say they were. Lol. It was a good game and it should be both of you are on the same "playing field" (funny how that works) and as far as I am concerned you didn't represent the West, prep and charter represented the Advantage schools, as will Voyager and Prep next week.
As far as the "4A advantage" that is actually being nice. Most of these (if not all) draw for a much larger pool than most (if not all) 4A schools. The new 1A has the same slogan as Ingles. Got the "Advantage card cause if you don't you sure won't be living high on the hog".

Last edited by a moderator:
For years Indiana had a one class state championship basketball tournament. Crazy but spectacular!

Eagle, you have missed the point. Most 1A schools have a fixed area that they receive students from. Schools such as Prep and Lincoln are not shackled by this restraint. If you would please answer two questions: 1) How many counties/cities are represented by players on your roster? 2) If your players attended the schools in the areas in which they live, how many different schools would they attend? The advantage is that if you where in a traditional setting then a large number of your players would attend another school. If you believe that having a large number of players to draw from is not an advantage, then please petition the state to allow you to play at the 4A level. After all both schools would only have about 15 team members. You would still have an advantage in that you could still draw from a much larger pool of students, but it would not be as wide a gap as you have against 1A teams.

Im a Forsyth Co guy and a Carver fan and I agree that the traditional schools are at a disadvantage!!! The "advantaged" schools definitely pull from a huge pool!! But in our county every school pulls from the same pool!!! Prep is a regular high school in our county and with open enrollment all our schools can get kids from all over the county if they just fill out the paperwork during two two-week periods. Our county is the wild Wild West and different schools do better in pulling athletes in different sports. We no longer have feeder middle schools. Prep is good for a 1A team. They were probably the 5th best team in our county but they're young and for the next two years they'll be tough!!! Everyone in Winston is rooting for them to win the title so the kids will get their rings and then the kids on their bench and jv team will look for playing time elsewhere!!

Why yeah everyone in 1A can hang with them. They have been around 12 seasons and after next week will have 5 championships in girls basketball and 4 championships in boys, so they got 9 championship over all. So that means they have went a whole 3 seasons out of 12 without winning a trophy in basketball. Them was tough times for them. Rotfl.
WSP girls have 4 championships in 11 years? Might want to check the facts sport before you make such a statement....roflmao

Reactions: coach1530
Hold the presses, a cheater opps charter school says that Prep Advantage isn't as good as traditional schools say they were. Lol. It was a good game and it should be both of you are on the same "playing field" (funny how that works) and as far as I am concerned you didn't represent the West, prep and charter represented the Advantage schools, as will Voyager and Prep next week.
As far as the "4A advantage" that is actually being nice. Most of these (if not all) draw for a much larger pool than most (if not all) 4A schools. The new 1A has the same slogan as Ingles. Got the "Advantage card cause if you don't you sure won't be living high on the hog".

Who are you calling "cheater?" No one at Lincoln Charter schools cheats. Those kids have been at LC since 6th grade or beyond. They have a middle school program that teaches them how to play and have won the last 4 championships. After middle school they filter into a program that requires them to work, lift, get better. PERIOD. Look at their roster. There are no new kids from year to year except from their JV or middle school if good enough. And all of their guys live within a 5-7 mile radius of the school. No Mecklenburg kids, Gaston kids, etc. They are all local kids. And all of their athletes are required to maintain a 3.0 GPA and they are grade checked about 5 times during the season. Can your school or school system claim that? So before you starts popping off at your loud mouth and calling schools, coaches, and players cheating you may want to remember that the people you speak about are mostly kids. And those kids have parents who get tired of hearing it. And LC had the biggest turn out of fans over ALL traditional schools yesterday doubling anything brought by any traditional schools.

Reactions: coach1530
Hold the presses,charter school says that Prep Advantage isn't as good as traditional schools say they were. Lol. It was a good game and it should be both of you are on the same "playing field" (funny how that works) and as far as I am concerned you didn't represent the West, prep and charter represented the Advantage schools, as will Voyager and Prep next week.

You are not going to call teams that are playing within the current rules that.

When I think of a 1A school I usually think of small rural areas of NC. Places like Beaufort, Plymouth, Banner Elk, Mt. Airy, Bryson City, etc. Not Durham, Winston- Salem, Raleigh, and now Denver, NC. The think about Denver is it is so close to urban areas and easily accessible. So, to the NCHSAA, there definitely needs to be a change to level the playing field. It is the right thing to do.

Lol Prep has 4a talent?? If they did Avery would had been blown out by 30. 1a talent compared to 4a talent is like comparing Western Carolina to Tennessee. Get out of here with that. If Prep was a 2a,3a school they don't make it out of round 2, 4a we'll been embarrassed in round 1. Prep resides in a county where anyone can go to any school. So stop with the excuses and complaining and get better

Lol Prep has 4a talent?? If they did Avery would had been blown out by 30. 1a talent compared to 4a talent is like comparing Western Carolina to Tennessee. Get out of here with that. If Prep was a 2a,3a school they don't make it out of round 2, 4a we'll been embarrassed in round 1. Prep resides in a county where anyone can go to any school. So stop with the excuses and complaining and get better
You're a moron if you think the Prep teams with Reggie Johnson - Marcus Wright (Miami and App State) and later on with Greg McClinton (Wake) couldn't have seriously challenged for a title in the 2A and 3A playoffs. Just because Prep isn't great (by their standard) this year doesn't mean they haven't been good enough to win at higher levels in the past.

And as for them not being competitive with 4A teams, that's another lie. They usually break even in non conference games with 4A teams, so another major exaggeration. Hell East Carteret beat one of the teams that made it to regionals in 4A last year I believe. You really shouldn't chime in a subject Champ if you can't even get basic facts right.

Bottomline I feel bad for schools like Cherryville, Albemarle, East Carteret, Avery, Hayesville, Plymouth, etc. who have cultivated great homegrown teams only to be denied titles by some glorified AAU teams.

Last edited:
You're a moron if you think the Prep teams with Reggie Johnson - Marcus Wright (Miami and App State) and later on with Greg McClinton (Wake) couldn't have seriously challenged for a title in the 2A and 3A playoffs. Just because Prep isn't great (by their standard) this year doesn't mean they haven't been in the past.

And as for them not competing with 4A teams, that's another lie. They usually break even in non conference games with 4A teams, so another major exaggeration to say they would go out in round 1 in 4A. Hell East Carteret beat one of the teams that made it to regionals in 4A last year I believe.

I think he referencing this season.

Albemarle had some really good teams that lost to Prep over the years. Teams that could have possibly won a state title. Teams that were undefeated or had only a couple of losses when they met up with Prep. Thomasville also had some real deal teams that fell to Preps.

Reactions: mbdfan
Another thing I have noticed and had a referee say the same to me at a game last year. The game is close at half time but in the second half the refs really let the players play physical which is what Prep wants. They want to hand check, bump, and body up a little more. That is their game and from what I saw last year the mountain schools, charters, and even Albemarle played more finesse style basketball so the way the game was called played more to Prep.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT