ADVERTISEMENT

Ashe Central at Beaver Creek for Blue Ridge 1A Title

That's what Ash county should do. They should have a throwback three games in a row. One for Ash Central, one for Beaver Creek, one from Northwest Ash.

Reactions: NM88
I spent many Friday nights in my early years of football officiating working games in the Blue Ridge 1A. A few things I remember about those days (late 70s and throughout the 80s):
  • The Blue Ridge 1A (which in addition to the Ashe County schools, included East Wilkes, Alleghany, Elkin, and at different times North Wilkes, West Wilkes, and Avery) was not a very strong football conference. For example, in Brad Lopp's senior year at Ashe Central, they went 10-0 in the regular season, then got destroyed in the first round of the playoffs by a 6-4 Swain County team.
  • Ashe Central, Beaver Creek, and Northwest Ashe would all play each other twice each season...with the second game counting toward the conference standings
  • If AC, BC, and NWA all had home games, they would play one Thursday, one Friday, and one Saturday so they didn't hurt the other schools' gates.
  • The fields at each school were sub-par compared to today's fields, but the communities usually packed the places supporting their home boys. The lights at Beaver Creek's field were so bad we used to joke that we were going to wear miner's helmets to work games there.
  • The rosters from the Ashe schools were tiny. I remember working a game at Beaver Creek when they only dressed 15 players, so if you saw 4 on the sideline, you didn't have to count players on the field.
  • The first game I ever worked in the snow was at Northwest Ashe. It was a first-round playoff game.
Great memories!!

I spent many Friday nights in my early years of football officiating working games in the Blue Ridge 1A. A few things I remember about those days (late 70s and throughout the 80s):
  • The Blue Ridge 1A (which in addition to the Ashe County schools, included East Wilkes, Alleghany, Elkin, and at different times North Wilkes, West Wilkes, and Avery) was not a very strong football conference. For example, in Brad Lopp's senior year at Ashe Central, they went 10-0 in the regular season, then got destroyed in the first round of the playoffs by a 6-4 Swain County team.
  • Ashe Central, Beaver Creek, and Northwest Ashe would all play each other twice each season...with the second game counting toward the conference standings
  • If AC, BC, and NWA all had home games, they would play one Thursday, one Friday, and one Saturday so they didn't hurt the other schools' gates.
  • The fields at each school were sub-par compared to today's fields, but the communities usually packed the places supporting their home boys. The lights at Beaver Creek's field were so bad we used to joke that we were going to wear miner's helmets to work games there.
  • The rosters from the Ashe schools were tiny. I remember working a game at Beaver Creek when they only dressed 15 players, so if you saw 4 on the sideline, you didn't have to count players on the field.
  • The first game I ever worked in the snow was at Northwest Ashe. It was a first-round playoff game.
Great memories!!
Thanks for sharing the memories. A couple of old friends and I were discussing those "old days" when one suggested the idea of doing a "Throw Back Thursday Time Slip Matchup" to start discussing just the things you mentioned. I should have started at the beginning of the season. So many, many memories of schools and conferences from long ago out there. From Roanoke High to Orrum to LIttlefield to Denton to East Montgomery to NW Ashe to Cullowhee to soon to be Murphy, life in the 1A was always filled with interesting stories (lighting or lack thereof, roll out bleachers on the baseball field, uneven playing surfaces, packed commuinty crowds, small teams.....but in the end for all, BIG HEARTS.

Great memories!!
Being from Mitchell county, I always enjoyed the Jefferson post classic basketball tournament. Ashe county is a beautiful place!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT