ADVERTISEMENT

Any predictions of upsets in round one

2A Trinity over Wilkes Central
West Caldwell Over Monroe
Randleman over Smokey Mountain

In the 1A west boys, just defining upset as "lower seed winning" I think both of the Little Smoky Conference high-seeded teams go down, with Pine Lake Prep over Highlands
and Bishop over Hiwassee Dam.

Outside of that, I'm not picking them, but Robbinsville struggled early then came on late and beat both SMC champs Swain and Cherokee down the stretch, so I wouldn't be floored if they beat Mountain Island. I think Swain is the most likely top seed to go down--they're coming off being upset in their conference tourney and playing an East Surry team that I think is underseeded by nature of being in a league with WSP, Bishop, and Mount Airy and playing good, higher-class Winston area schools for a good bit of their non-conference.

Last edited:
1a west girls:

Watch for alleghany over PLP.
North stanly over Lincoln charter
Bishop over MIC

Interesting games Haysville and West Mont

Those are the games that jump out to me.

here is to hoping for a peidmont community win.

east surry is a tough draw from what i'm hearing for swain.

the top LSMC teams will go down

hayesville might sneak up too a great player that could carry the team

If a number 2 gets upset by a 31 or whatever East Surry is then we have a seriously flawed system. Of course we all know that the LSMC teams will get beat, that is an absolute disaster that they get in there taking up high seeds and knocking teams out of the playoffs that should be in there. Normally the wheat gets separated from the chafe in round 1 but that is not always the case. For example, Mt Airy will get to play a mid 20's seed in the 2nd round only because that mid 20's seed got to play the LSMC team that was seeded obviously too high in the first round. I am not sure that i know exactly how seeding should be done, but this way does not work. Example, the best 2 1a teams in the West end up in the same bracket. How is that fair? And of course if you are one of the other teams in that bracket like ( my 5th seeded Trojans ) then you have to go through both of them if you have any hope of getting to the regional finals, and I didnt even mention that both of the best teams in the west prep and Lincoln Charter are coincidentally advantaged schools to start with. Sorry for the rant, but when I see our path to the Regionals and Avery's path to the Regionals the equity just does not seem to be there at least for me. I guess I am just a little confused with what was wrong with the old system. In 2014, you had two rounds of real Regionals in Greensboro. The first round pitted 2 true western teams in Avery and Alleghany, and both those towns apparently closed down to bring their entire community to support them. The second game pitted 2 true midwest teams playing with prep against Albemarle. You ended up with a true Regional championship game with the best team from the West versus the best team from the midwest. Why all the experimenting?

If a number 2 gets upset by a 31 or whatever East Surry is then we have a seriously flawed system. Of course we all know that the LSMC teams will get beat, that is an absolute disaster that they get in there taking up high seeds and knocking teams out of the playoffs that should be in there.

But then you can't discount them as a conference because every few years their top team is just as good as a top team from any conference--case in point being 06 HDHS and 09/10 Nantahala teams that made regionals, and the HD girls from the past few years. If you were to say LSMC doesn't get automatic bids or something like that, then on those years when a Little Smoky team is really good a high seed would get screwed by drawing them early.

I think the best solution is to go back to the system from 97-01, with Smoky West and Smoky East in basketball instead of Big Smoky and Little Smoky. With Polk dropping back down they could have done it that way, too.

If a number 2 gets upset by a 31 or whatever East Surry is then we have a seriously flawed system. Of course we all know that the LSMC teams will get beat, that is an absolute disaster that they get in there taking up high seeds and knocking teams out of the playoffs that should be in there. Normally the wheat gets separated from the chafe in round 1 but that is not always the case. For example, Mt Airy will get to play a mid 20's seed in the 2nd round only because that mid 20's seed got to play the LSMC team that was seeded obviously too high in the first round. I am not sure that i know exactly how seeding should be done, but this way does not work. Example, the best 2 1a teams in the West end up in the same bracket. How is that fair? And of course if you are one of the other teams in that bracket like ( my 5th seeded Trojans ) then you have to go through both of them if you have any hope of getting to the regional finals, and I didnt even mention that both of the best teams in the west prep and Lincoln Charter are coincidentally advantaged schools to start with. Sorry for the rant, but when I see our path to the Regionals and Avery's path to the Regionals the equity just does not seem to be there at least for me. I guess I am just a little confused with what was wrong with the old system. In 2014, you had two rounds of real Regionals in Greensboro. The first round pitted 2 true western teams in Avery and Alleghany, and both those towns apparently closed down to bring their entire community to support them. The second game pitted 2 true midwest teams playing with prep against Albemarle. You ended up with a true Regional championship game with the best team from the West versus the best team from the midwest. Why all the experimenting?

Alleghany84 our trojans couldnt even make it out of 1st round. What a piss poor ending to what could have been a special season. Losing to queens grant, unreal .I hope our football team is better in 2017 it was terrible to watch the last half of 2016.

East Surry Girls were a 16 seed and boys a 32 seed and the boys almost pulled the upset. NW1-A top 4 teams played stronge schedules out of Winston Salem,3 & 4 A schools.

Reactions: jsc1973
East Surry's boys played West Forsyth in one of those Christmas tournaments and was right there with them well into the third quarter. Just because they are a 31 seed or whatever doesn't mean they weren't good. Having WSP and MA in your conference is kind of tough, and Bishop isn't exactly a bunch of bums, either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT