ADVERTISEMENT

A real champion (extra games)

Darkhorse04

Dec 5, 2006
Don’t you wish we could take all the state champions, re-seed them and have another tournament? I’d love to see a potential Havelock/Reidsville matchup. Find out who the best team in the state is regardless of class. It’ll never happen, but it would be worth the price of admission for sure.

Reactions: dogs79 and rambbq
lol...Indiana high school basketball...from the old days...in the movie Hoosiers....go Hickory High........f.w.i.w.....calpreps in a hypothetical matchup would have Havelock 33 Reidsville 31..............

They should schedule a home and home. I'd go to see it. But Havelock will lose a lot this year. They are a senior laden team. I'm sure they have talent ready to step up though. Always do.

Reactions: rambbq
otis...you were talking about the NCSU/MD. game in which state made a huge comeback....that was nov. 26th, 2011.....MD. had 41-14 lead with six and half minutes left in the THIRD QUARTER....State ended up winning 55-41......I went to youtube and watched the six minute clip.....just type in NCSU big comeback versus Maryland in football......and it should come up with the link......very enjoyable to watch if you are a NCSU fan.....(wish Reidsville was playing at Carter-Finley this week instead of UNC)........................

Don’t you wish we could take all the state champions, re-seed them and have another tournament? I’d love to see a potential Havelock/Reidsville matchup. Find out who the best team in the state is regardless of class. It’ll never happen, but it would be worth the price of admission for sure.

How about a Rolesville vs Robbinsville game? I'd pay to not have to watch that beat down

• Haha
Reactions: BulldogJacket85
Darkhorse04, you are about a week early with this thread. You are assuming Reidsville and Havelock win Saturday. They could, they might, they probably will. There will be a ton of people pulling against them though. Around here we always pull for the Western team, even if it’s Shelby. If I were you I sure wouldn’t count out Catholic. They may be outmanned but they always seem to find a way.

Last edited:
otis...you were talking about the NCSU/MD. game in which state made a huge comeback....that was nov. 26th, 2011.....MD. had 41-14 lead with six and half minutes left in the THIRD QUARTER....State ended up winning 55-41......I went to youtube and watched the six minute clip.....just type in NCSU big comeback versus Maryland in football......and it should come up with the link......very enjoyable to watch if you are a NCSU fan.....(wish Reidsville was playing at Carter-Finley this week instead of UNC)........................
yea I have watched it. My daughter was with me and she asked me at halftime if we were leaving because so many were. I told he no! I had done that before and missed a great comeback. I told her we could score in the 2nd half just like they did in the first! We had a great time watching it and laughing at the Maryland fans near us. Mercy I hated Maryland. I don't miss them in the ACC a bit.

Darkhorse04, you are about a week early with this thread. You are assuming Reidsville and Havelock win Saturday. They could, they might, they probably will. There will be a ton of people pulling against them though. Around here we always pull for the Western team, even if it’s Shelby. If I were you I sure wouldn’t count out Catholic. They may be outmanned but they always seem to find a way.
Well you have a dilemma Saturday because 2 West teams are playing each other! Lol

Reactions: dogs79
I hear you. I went to Burnsville and watched Heritage and Mt Pleasant. I love that kind of offense. Here’s what we do, stop it if you can. So nothing personal but this time I’ll be pulling for Heritage. I’m just hoping for a close game, a good game, a game in which the zebras are invisible.

I believe the word I used was “potential”. A potential matchup. Not saying any particular team is gonna win although if pressed to choose I’d pick Reidsville to win and Havelock to win each their games. This was merely a fun hypothetical idea to think about. Games are won and lost on the field so until they are played no one really knows outcome. But I thought it could be fun to see “what If” you know.

Reactions: UNC91 and dogs79
Cool, I wasn’t trying to call you out. After looking back you are correct, potential was included in your post.

I’ll be pulling for Heritage but from what I’ve seen on these threads, I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if Reidsville wins. I think Catholic has a better chance of beating Havelock than Heritage does of beating Reidsville. As you said, till the games are played we don’t know.

Reactions: UNC91 and Ooooner
Well you have a dilemma Saturday because 2 West teams are playing each other! Lol
Reidsville is about as central as you can get; equal distance to Manteo or Murphy. Everyone thinks of them as a "western" team based on where they typically fall in the playoffs, but if by chance they end up in the east again for a year or two, everyone will forget that they were once a "western" power.

According to the Weather National Service....Reidsville is located in the NW Piedmont...we are a stones throw away from the mountains of va. and not much further to the northern mts. of nc.......Murphy is a long ways from anywhere in NC...including other mountain towns...their college teams they follow are most likely...UT...Ga. and Clemson...than any school in NC....

Reactions: UNC91 and dogs79
@
According to the Weather National Service....Reidsville is located in the NW Piedmont...we are a stones throw away from the mountains of va. and not much further to the northern mts. of nc.......Murphy is a long ways from anywhere in NC...including other mountain towns...their college teams they follow are most likely...UT...Ga. and Clemson...than any school in NC....
West or East it don't much matter. Last man standing!

Reactions: rambbq
It’s cool to say I just don’t think it would be a good idea because end of the day idc what anyone says no one that’s not 4aa is beating the best 4aa team in the state they have way more kids and it’s idiotic to think you could havelock and new bern would have to combine together to compete against a Vance mallard creek hough maybe not one year but year after year yeah

Reactions: UNC91 and Otis4411
lol...Indiana high school basketball...from the old days...in the movie Hoosiers....go Hickory High........f.w.i.w.....calpreps in a hypothetical matchup would have Havelock 33 Reidsville 31..............
where do you get this info from calpreps

It’s cool to say I just don’t think it would be a good idea because end of the day idc what anyone says no one that’s not 4aa is beating the best 4aa team in the state they have way more kids and it’s idiotic to think you could havelock and new bern would have to combine together to compete against a Vance mallard creek hough maybe not one year but year after year yeah
smaller schools have many players going both ways. Larger school two platoon; would make a big difference in play between the larger and smaller classifications

Reactions: ItsJustWords252

I was gone say havelock could probably compete with 4aa this season

We’re talking 1 maybe 2 games against cross-classification matchups. Not a full year grind. Personally I’d love to know if a 2A school like Reidsville could beat a 4AA school, and if they couldn’t what it took for them to loose because so far, no one has been able to either figure that out and/or execute it. This was All in good fun guys. Nothing serious.

Like my idea would be:

4AA champion vs 4A Champion
3AA champion vs 3A Champion
2AA champion vs 2A champion
1AA champion vs 1A champion

winner of 4AA/4A vs winner of 3AA/3A
Winner of 2AA/2A vs winner of 1AA/1A

championship game.

Reactions: dogs79
I was gone say havelock could probably compete with 4aa this season
This season? Certainly. They are as good as any team in the state. I would love to see them and Reidsville though. What a matchup that would be.

where do you get this info from calpreps
Wiz...if you go to calpreps.com....look for the link that says "project a matchup"...follow the prompts and you can see different years, different states and teams...pretty interesting...let me know if you do it and what you see...........you can even matchup your own schools teams for different years......i.e.. you can do Clinton 2003 versus Clinton this year (2020).....you can only go back to 2003.....if you play around with it enough it's pretty compelling and addictive............lol..........................BTW....calpreps says this years Clinton team would beat the 2003 Clinton team, 31-14........

We’re talking 1 maybe 2 games against cross-classification matchups. Not a full year grind. Personally I’d love to know if a 2A school like Reidsville could beat a 4AA school, and if they couldn’t what it took for them to loose because so far, no one has been able to either figure that out and/or execute it. This was All in good fun guys. Nothing serious.

Like my idea would be:

4AA champion vs 4A Champion
3AA champion vs 3A Champion
2AA champion vs 2A champion
1AA champion vs 1A champion

winner of 4AA/4A vs winner of 3AA/3A
Winner of 2AA/2A vs winner of 1AA/1A

championship game.

I would have loved if reidsville could have scheduled grimsley this season.

for a while in 1980's when Reidsville was 4A, Grimsley and the Rams were in the same conference...in the 1990's they played each other...since the Ram era began (1969)...they have played each other nine times....Reidsville winning 4 times,,,Grimsley 4 times and 1 scoreless tie (1972...the last tie in Ram football history).......................

Reactions: UNC91
This is too much to be honest. If you ever played or can remember playing, and you were in the playoffs, your body is tired. Even as a teenager your energy is spent. If you make it to the title game you're running off pure adrenaline and hunger for the trophy. Especially if you happen to make it that far playing both ways. Kids are beat up around 3rd round if they make it that far.

This is too much to be honest. If you ever played or can remember playing, and you were in the playoffs, your body is tired. Even as a teenager your energy is spent. If you make it to the title game you're running off pure adrenaline and hunger for the trophy. Especially if you happen to make it that far playing both ways. Kids are beat up around 3rd round if they make it that far.
Dude, it’s a straight hypothetical what if scenario. Not reality just fun to wonder about.

I will be fine with four classes and no subdividing. Not interested in small A v big A. Just one bracket with 32 teams. All conference champions and the following spots from a power poll. If four teams from one conference make it and only one from a weaker conference, fine. IF an 8-2 team does not make it because they play in a weak conference and played a weak non conference schedule, that is ok.

Personally. I like six divisions for football. Either subdivide without classification being part of it, just straight where the ADM is now or have football realign separately from the other sports.

I will be fine with four classes and no subdividing. Not interested in small A v big A. Just one bracket with 32 teams. All conference champions and the following spots from a power poll. If four teams from one conference make it and only one from a weaker conference, fine. IF an 8-2 team does not make it because they play in a weak conference and played a weak non conference schedule, that is ok.

Personally. I like six divisions for football. Either subdivide without classification being part of it, just straight where the ADM is now or have football realign separately from the other sports.
Makes to much sense

for a while in 1980's when Reidsville was 4A, Grimsley and the Rams were in the same conference...in the 1990's they played each other...since the Ram era began (1969)...they have played each other nine times....Reidsville winning 4 times,,,Grimsley 4 times and 1 scoreless tie (1972...the last tie in Ram football history).......................
A little before your time but Reidsville and Greensboro (Senior High before they became Grimsley) met in 1954. Greensboro had only one high school then. There were three classifications then - A, B, and C. Greensboro was large A and Reidsville B. The game ended in a 6-6 tie when Greensboro blocked the Reidsville extra point try. Reidsville dominated the stats.

Both Greensboro and Reidsville went on to win State Championships for their divisions. Some of us really old timers think the 1954 Reidsville edition was the best ever to take the field - until this years team.

For Mountain Heritage and mountain teams fans, Reidsville beat undefeated Andrews 21-7 in the semi-finals. Andrews wore Wolfpack Red uniforms and I was most impressed with their team. Reidsville had beaten the two time Defending State Champions Charlotte Harding 21-0 in the previous game, ending a 35 game unbeaten streak for Harding. For a 12 year old kid, it was an absolute thrill to go to these games.

Last edited:
A little before your time but Reidsville and Greensboro (Senior High before they became Grimsley) met in 1954. Greensboro had only one high school then. There were three classifications then - A, B, and C. Greensboro was large A and Reidsville B. The game ended in a 6-6 tie when Greensboro blocked the Reidsville extra point try. Reidsville dominated the stats.

Both Greensboro and Reidsville went on to win State Championships for their divisions. Some of us really old timers think the 1954 Reidsville edition was the best ever to take the field - until this years team.

For Mountain Heritage and mountain teams fans, Reidsville beat undefeated Andrews 21-7 in the semi-finals. Andrews wore Wolfpack Red uniforms and I was most impressed with their team. Reidsville had beaten the two time Defending State Champions Charlotte Harding 21-0 in the previous game, ending a 35 game unbeaten streak for Harding. For a 12 year old kid, it was an absolute thrill to go to these games.
It don’t get much better than that!
Great stuff!
Shocked that Greensboro had one high school! Time flies! Don’t it?

Reactions: btango
Actually Mule....Greensboro Dudley existed in 1954 but it was the black high school...days of segregation ....Reidsville at that time had Booker T. Washington...........Greensboro Page opened in the late 1950's.....Greensboro Smith in the early 1960's................

Actually Mule....Greensboro Dudley existed in 1954 but it was the black high school...days of segregation ....Reidsville at that time had Booker T. Washington...........Greensboro Page opened in the late 1950's.....Greensboro Smith in the early 1960's................
Dudley, as you must know, was not a member of the NCHSAA in 1954. Nearly every town or city had white and black schools. Segregation most definitely ruled during those times. The summer before my senior year we had a unofficial "secret" scrimmage with some of the Booker T. basketball players, which would have been frowned upon by most people if they knew about it. Very, very different times then.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT