ADVERTISEMENT

A Major Study In Not Ducking Competition (A Tribute To Garinger)

mrhonda

Nov 12, 2012
This week in Charlotte, there will be a mismatch of major proportions. Winless Garinger will be playing at Mallard Creek. Garinger is a study in futility, while Mallard Creek is favored to win their third straight state title. This game is a story of total contrasts.

For Mallard Creek, since 2008, on the field, the program has gone 81-8 with two state titles. Since 2011, the Creek has gone 58-5. During that same span, they are averaging 46.17 ppg and giving up 12.35 ppg. They have two state titles to their credit.

For Garinger, the result is quite different. Since 2011, Garinger has gone 14-64. They've lost 42 of their last 43 games. They are currently on a 33 game losing streak. Since 2011, they have averaged 5.72 ppg while allowing 45.42 ppg.

I want to pay a tribute to the players at Garinger. You haven't seen the results you want, but you go out and play week in and week out. You play some very tough teams in Charlotte. This week you"re going up against the state title favorite. I honor you for your dedication and willingness to play this game.

I understand Mallard Creek has a tough time every year finding ooc opponents. Let the Garinger Wildcats be an example to all the schools who don't want to schedule teams like Mallard Creek. Follow their example. It would take divine intervention for Garinger to win this game. But, at least they're going to show up and play.

Last edited:
Mallard Creek has lost 5 games since the start of 2011 (Page, Butler 3 times, Byrnes). I didn't check the other numbers, but I noticed this one was off a little bit right away.

MC should start the 3rd string. I always thought of Garinger as a basketball school.

Garinger always plays top notch opponents (they play in the same conference as Butler and Indy), but to schedule another one OOC was pretty ballsy.

Mallard Creek has lost 5 games since the start of 2011 (Page, Butler 3 times, Byrnes). I didn't check the other numbers, but I noticed this one was off a little bit right away.

Yes, that's a major reason I never majored in math. lol...ok forget the won/loss record. Just know they're good. :)

2009 - 2 losses - Both to Independence - 42-41 and 49-20
2010 - 1 loss - Vance 10-7
2011 - 1 loss - Page 41-27
2012 - 2 losses - Both to Butler - 27-6 and 27-0
2013 - Undefeated
2014 - 1 loss - Butler 28-27
2015 - 1 loss - Byrnes 31-29

Since 2008 - 8 losses

I don't understand why Garinger is so futile in football? They had close to 2000 kids there for their ADM numbers in 2014. You would think from that large a talent pool they could find 30-40 kids that would be good football players. What gives at that place?

I don't understand why Garinger is so futile in football? They had close to 2000 kids there for their ADM numbers in 2014. You would think from that large a talent pool they could find 30-40 kids that would be good football players. What gives at that place?

Demographics is a big thing. Garinger has a very large Hispanic and Asian population. Add to that the poor football record over the past years, and it's just difficult to get kids to commit. Look back at the 60's and early 70's, and Garinger was a top notch football program then.

Reactions: fitguync30
Demographics is a big thing. Garinger has a very large Hispanic and Asian population. Add to that the poor football record over the past years, and it's just difficult to get kids to commit. Look back at the 60's and early 70's, and Garinger was a top notch football program then.
Hispanic and Asians not play much?

How are they in Soccer? They should be pretty good due to a lot of Hispanics. Just wonder about that......they had real good basketball team in the past and if I am not mistaken, they won the state title in BB.

Well lets just estimate. Lets say 2000 kids go to Garinger. Lets say the demographics are around 50% Black and 50% Hispanic. They have some asians but no where the size of the other 2 groups of groups. Out of 2000 kids, 1000 won't play because their hispanic, soccer is their culture, not football. Out of the 1000 they have left, lets say 500 are males. Out of the 500, 150-200 are not even eligible with the 2.0...sad but true. Out of the other 300 or so many are caught up in a lifestyle that many grow up in in that area. Honestly, just not likely that Garinger can sustain success in the CLT area that breeds very good programs (MC, butler, indy, etc).

Since somebody asked, Garinger does have one of the top soccer programs in the county. One of their kids, an African immigrant form the Congo, I believe was offered a professional deal with some team in Europe.

I agree wholeheartedly with wiseman83's breakdown. Taking away half of their adm because of ethnic interest, and they pretty much have 2A numbers that would even watch football, much less play football, amongst big 3A and 4A schools in that area. And for those that don't know where the school is located....let's just say that his eligibility comment was pretty much on the money too. All I know is I wouldn't want my kids to walk to school, ever. So although they are technically a 4A school, a deeper look will show you that they really don't have the numbers to compete within the Charlotte area. And losing every year garners even less interest. It may be commendable for them to play with the big boys ooc, if they ever want to start rebuilding, they are gonna have to schedule some easier opponents, which may require travel. More guys will want to play if they notice that the previous team didn't suck as bad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT