ADVERTISEMENT

6 playoff rounds for first time

TGT

Sep 18, 2001
The pros in the NFL only have four rounds of playoff games while high school kids have six rounds.

A lot of those student-athletes will move on to basketball and wrestling seasons. (Basketball season has already started).
Why did the state go from 5 rounds to 6 rounds? It's still 16 weeks of football because the regular season was reduced by one game.
Anyway, I think 6 rounds is a bit much to ask of high school student-athletes.

**HS can play up to 16 games max= 10 regular season guaranteed / up to 6 playoff
**NCAA can play up to 15 games max= up to 12 regular season / plus 1 CC game if earned / plus up to 2 playoff games
**NFL can play up to 21 games max= 17 regular season games / up to 4 playoff games

Seems scaled enough to me...I wouldn't get hung up on just playoff rounds...I would look at it as a whole.

So many things seems to be about money these days. Could it have anything to do with having 4 less games at the college venues and the possible savings there or the revenue from having 4 additional games?

So many things seems to be about money these days. Could it have anything to do with having 4 less games at the college venues and the possible savings there or the revenue from having 4 additional games?
6 rounds equals the same number of teams in the playoffs as subdivided years = same amount of revenue. Plus, they don’t have to pay for 8 state championship games. Where they have struggled profit wise. Same amount of playoff games, lose less money on championships = more money for the NCHSAA!!! Smart business decision. I still say it’s too many football games for high school athletes.

The pros in the NFL only have four rounds of playoff games while high school kids have six rounds.

A lot of those student-athletes will move on to basketball and wrestling seasons. (Basketball season has already started).
Why did the state go from 5 rounds to 6 rounds? It's still 16 weeks of football because the regular season was reduced by one game.
Anyway, I think 6 rounds is a bit much to ask of high school student-athletes.
I thought 5 was too many 6 much too much, that over half another season

It was 3 or 4 playoff games in the Western Association
Only 2 games in the WNCHSAA. Only four conferences Northwest, Southwest, North Piedmont and South Piedmont. The Northwest conference champion would play the Southwest conference champion and the North and South Piedmont conference champions would play. The remaining winners would play and that was the championship.

Isn’t everything about money,isn’t that why we get up and go to work,everything and everyone is motivated by money

Only 2 games in the WNCHSAA. Only four conferences Northwest, Southwest, North Piedmont and South Piedmont. The Northwest conference champion would play the Southwest conference champion and the North and South Piedmont conference champions would play. The remaining winners would play and that was the championship.
I think it varied in the WNCHSAA. In 1964, Thomasville won the championship, beating Mooresville and Hickory. In 1968, we beat East Rowan and Lexington, then lost the title to Shelby.

OC, I only remember two playoff games around here. In the Northwest and Southwest conferences there was two playoff teams in 1968, Shelby was one and Chase was the other, but I can't recall more than one team from this conference afterwards. The last WNCHSAA game I remember was a radio broadcast of Shelby and one of the Davidson County teams, maybe North or West it would have been in the middle seventies. I listened to it on a car radio, lots of static. It ended in a tie. The year before I think Salisbury beat Shelby and the year after Shelby beat Lexington.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT