2 vs 31
15 vs 18
10 vs 23
7 vs 26

3 vs 30
14 vs 19
11 vs 22
6 vs 27
This is why people hate the RPI. West beats #2 Pisgah by 20 and stays the same. Pisgah only drops 1 spot. Essentially, Pisgah is getting a participation trophy for having played West because of how much weight the RPI places on opponents and opponents opponents.

This is why people hate the RPI. West beats #2 Pisgah by 20 and stays the same. Pisgah only drops 1 spot. Essentially, Pisgah is getting a participation trophy for having played West because of how much weight the RPI places on opponents and opponents opponents.
It doesn’t matter if they don’t win conference. Pisgah will end up with a 10-13 seed more than likely and West will end up with a 2-5 seed.

It doesn’t matter if they don’t win conference. Pisgah will end up with a 10-13 seed more than likely and West will end up with a 2-5 seed.
Everybody knows that. Doesn't change the fact that weekly polls should accurately reflect play on the field and the RPI is flawed. Somewhere down the line these flaws will rear it’s ugly head.

HSOT playoff projections has WH as a 4 seed playing Smoky Mtn. In first round. They have Pisgah as an 11 seed playing Ashbrook.
What seed would West be if they were sitting in the 2 or 3 spot (where Pisgah is currently) as the undefeated conference champion?

What seed would West be if they were sitting in the 2 or 3 spot (where Pisgah is currently) as the undefeated conference champion?
These projections from HSOT are projecting WH as a conference champ that’s why they are the 4 seed and Pisgah the 11.

These projections from HSOT are projecting WH as a conference champ that’s why they are the 4 seed and Pisgah the 11.
Correct but what seed would West be projected as if the RPI’s were flipped? West as an undefeated conference champion sitting at #2 in the RPI wouldn’t be a 4-seed. That’s my point, the flawed RPI has negative implications. There is no reason whatsoever for Pisgah to be higher than West.

Pisgah's non conference games are bearing more weight than West Henderson's are the way the RPI formula works.
Thats the way I see it.
Pisgah may finish the season with a high RPI than WH but will be a lower seed of course if West wins conference at the end.
Not sure yet where the seeding will place the teams that finish first in their conference but I guess thats where they use the RPI to assign those seeds.
Someone correct me if I am wrong.......

Yes they don't go by IF THE PLAYOFS STARTED TODAY.
Oh really?? I was sure they did! That’s why they call them projections, it’s just something to talk about kinda like the NCAA basketball projections that ESPN does for half the season.

Pisgah's non conference games are bearing more weight than West Henderson's are the way the RPI formula works.
Thats the way I see it.
Pisgah may finish the season with a high RPI than WH but will be a lower seed of course if West wins conference at the end.
Not sure yet where the seeding will place the teams that finish first in their conference but I guess thats where they use the RPI to assign those seeds.
Conference champs will be seeded first based on RPI, then 2nd place finishers based on RPI, then 3rd place finishers (if any) by RPI, and lastly wildcard teams by RPI.

Thats the way I see it.
Your spot on and it’s also because Pisgah has yet to play East who is 0-7 but West has already played them.

Reactions: MillsRiverFalcon
Thats the way I see it.
This what I’m referring to. At some point West is going to be negatively impacted by the RPI. Pisgah is getting the benefit of the doubt playing lower classification schools with better records which is part of the RPI’s limitations. Hayesville nor Hampton are better than Newton Conover, Polk or H’Ville. Nobody can justify in any way, shape or form an undefeated West being nearly 10 RPI spots behind a team they beat head to head by 20.

Your spot on and it’s also because Pisgah has yet to play East who is 0-7 but West has already played them.
West played Pisgah and didn’t budge. Pisgah played West and didn’t hardly budge, despite losing by 20. That’s why I said they got a participation trophy simply for playing West. The biggest benefit for Pisgah is that Hayesville and Hampton with a combined 700 kids, are sitting at 10-5 right now.

West played Pisgah and didn’t budge. Pisgah played West and didn’t hardly budge, despite losing by 20. That’s why I said they got a participation trophy simply for playing West. The biggest benefit for Pisgah is that Hayesville and Hampton with a combined 700 kids, are sitting at 10-5 right now.
It doesn’t make much sense to me either. I thought both teams would move once West beat them but at the end of the day it’ll sort itself out.

This what I’m referring to. At some point West is going to be negatively impacted by the RPI. Pisgah is getting the benefit of the doubt playing lower classification schools with better records which is part of the RPI’s limitations. Hayesville nor Hampton are better than Newton Conover, Polk or H’Ville. Nobody can justify in any way, shape or form an undefeated West being nearly 10 RPI spots behind a team they beat head to head by 20.
There's some of that dog turd that I was referring to!! 🙄

It doesn’t make much sense to me either. I thought both teams would move once West beat them but at the end of the day it’ll sort itself out.
The 10 Conference champions supersede the RPI, so West will have the higher seed in the playoffs, same for ACR. Conference runner-ups will be seeded next by RPI, then the at large teams are seeded.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reynoldsrocks2
I agree with everyone. Dudley is below Eastern Guilford both tied for first in conference. Eastern Guilord is nowhere to be found in polls?
Lets throw a projection at this one......

Calpreps has this game projected with Dudley winning over E Guilford 40-28. That may or may not happen but after said game I'm sure there will be more clarity on their RPI....

Just looked and RPIs have Eastern Guilford at 8 and Dudley at 10

Calpreps has this game projected with Dudley winning over E Guilford 40-28. That may or may not happen but after said game I'm sure there will be more clarity on their RPI....

I think he just means like any polls ranking wise. Simmons has Eastern ranked 12th in 3A and CarolinaPreps has them 18th I think.

Here are the parameters of the seeding process:

Automatic Qualification​

• Each conference will be allotted playoff berths based on the number of schools fielding a team in a particular sport
    • 1-5 Teams = 1 Berth (Conference Champion)
    • 6+ Teams = 2 Berths (Conference Champion + 2nd Place or Conference Tournament Champion)
  • The highest finishing team from a given classification in a split conference will automatically qualify, regardless of overall conference finish (minimum of 2 schools per classification)
  • Addition of RPI rating to Handbook for conference tie-breaking procedure as the final tiebreaker

Wildcards​

The remaining non-automatic teams in each region (East/West) will fill the remaining berths based solely upon their RPI rating.

Seeding​

• Conference champions will be seeded before any other qualifying teams by RPI rating
  • All other teams will be seeded after the conference champions by RPI rating of the school, regardless of conference finish
  • Each region (East/West) will be seeded independently of one another, utilizing the RPI rating of the school

Reactions: beamer24
Since you decided to start compaing schedules. We also beat Brevard ,the only team in the state to do that .Hayesville and Hampton could beat Newton Conover Or Hendersonville .Brevard will beat Polk

Last edited:
Since you decided to start compaing schedules. We also beat Brevard ,the only team in the state to do that .Hayesville and Hampton could beat Newton Conover Or Hendersonville .Brevard will beat Polk
Newton plays in one of toughest conferences in the state and has played 2 of the top 3A schools in the west out-of-conference. They would roll both Hayesville and Hampton. I get you’re trying to justify your schedule but let’s be real. I have nothing against Pisgah but the RPI is flawed to your favor. You’re getting essentially the same benefit from beating a 3 loss Hayesville that you would from beating a 3 loss Reynolds team because the formula is flawed.

UPDATED OCT. 8th 10:20pm
Still 4 weeks left

3A West Conferences
NORTHWESTERN
Ashe County(16)
QUEEN CITY
(3)West Charlotte
THE MOUNTAIN
AC Reynolds(13)
BIG SOUTH
(1)Crest/Kings Mtn(2)
MID-STATE
(10)Dudley/Eastern Guilford(8)
MID-PIEDMONT
Ledford(7)
MOUNTAIN 7
(6)West Henderson/Pisgah(4)
SOUTH PIEDMONT
(11)Robinson/NW Cabarrus(9)
WESTERN FOOTHILLS
(14)Statesville/Hickory(5)
ROCKY RIVER
Parkwood(43)
=====================================
1. Crest
2. West Charlotte
3. Pisgah
4. Hickory
5. Ledford
6. Eastern Guilford
7. NW Cabarrus
8. AC Reynolds
9. Ashe County
10.Parkwood
11.Kings Mountain
12.West Henderson
13.Dudley
14.JM Robinson
15.Oak Grove
16.Statesville
17.Smoky Mountain
18. East Lincoln
19.North Lincoln
20.Central Davidson
21.North Henderson
22.Rockingham County
23.South Point
24.Concord
25.Huss
26.North Gaston
27.North Davidson
28.Ashbrook
29.West Iredell
30.Franklin
31.NE Guilford
32.Hibriten
==================
1 vs 32
16 vs 17
9 vs 24
8 vs 25

4 vs 29
13 vs 20
12 vs 21
5 vs 28

2 vs 31
15 vs 18
10 vs 23
7 vs 26

3 vs 30
14 vs 19
11 vs 22
6 vs 27
Is there any reason the RPI in the East is never posted? I was just curious

Newton plays in one of toughest conferences in the state and has played 2 of the top 3A schools in the west out-of-conference. They would roll both Hayesville and Hampton. I get you’re trying to justify your schedule but let’s be real. I have nothing against Pisgah but the RPI is flawed to your favor. You’re getting essentially the same benefit from beating a 3 loss Hayesville that you would from beating a 3 loss Reynolds team because the formula is flawed.
You are correct we lost to East Forsyth, West Forsyth, and Watauga, all 4A teams and all ranked in top 12 in RPI, but it’s only hurt us, however it does help with experience in big games and it showed last year when we beat Chambers and Butler in the playoffs. Tough schedules helps in the long run but not sure it helps a lot in RPI.

HSOT may go 0-4 on all of their predictions of Ledford, Crest, Eastern and NW Cabarrus all winning their conference.
Oak Grove may beat Ledford again in close one.
I think the Crest/KM game will be a good one and wouldn’t be surprised if either team won.
Eastern will lose by double digits
JM Robinson may beat NW Cabarrus.
I also wonder how far West Charlotte will drop if they drop another game to Chambers, possibly a 4-5 seed I’m thinking. It’s going to be some good games coming up here soon.

I agree with everyone. Dudley is below Eastern Guilford both tied for first in conference. Eastern Guilord is nowhere to be found in polls?
Anything can happen any given night, but I be surprise if Eastern don't get beat by 21+ when Dudley goes to them on the last game of the season. Most likely for the Conference Championship. The last two times they played for the Conference Championship was 51-13 @ Dudley 2022 & 42-3 @eastern 2021.

The last two times they played in 2022 at Dudley & 2021 at Eastern for the Conference Championship, Dudley won 51-13 & 42-3. In my opinion this Dudley Squad is Bigger, Faster and Stronger than those other teams from their past. I be surprise if Eastern don't get beat by 21 to 31 pts.

You are correct we lost to East Forsyth, West Forsyth, and Watauga, all 4A teams and all ranked in top 12 in RPI, but it’s only hurt us, however it does help with experience in big games and it showed last year when we beat Chambers and Butler in the playoffs. Tough schedules helps in the long run but not sure it helps a lot in RPI.
Correct, and my point wasn’t to delve into Reynolds record, everyone knows you’re very good. The point was that the RPI doesn’t distinguish between classifications. Outside of your record and opponents records, it doesn’t know that you’ve lost to 3 4A schools which is why Pisgah is so high in the RPI. The RPI doesn’t view you any different than it would 3 loss Hayesville or 2 loss Hampton because it’s a formula and lacks all context.

Again, my points aren’t an indictment of any one team. It’s to point out the major flaws in the RPI.

Reactions: New3ra
Correct, and my point wasn’t to delve into Reynolds record, everyone knows you’re very good. The point was that the RPI doesn’t distinguish between classifications. Outside of your record and opponents records, it doesn’t know that you’ve lost to 3 4A schools which is why Pisgah is so high in the RPI. The RPI doesn’t view you any different than it would 3 loss Hayesville or 2 loss Hampton because it’s a formula and lacks all context.

Again, my points aren’t an indictment of any one team. It’s to point out the major flaws in the RPI.
I understand, I didn’t think you were trying to down my team or anything, I agree with you about the RPI ands it’s faults.

Reactions: beamer24

I know Dudley hasn’t play anybody! Anybody worth a dang yet.

Anything can happen any given night, but I be surprise if Eastern don't get beat by 21+ when Dudley goes to them on the last game of the season. Most likely for the Conference Championship. The last two times they played for the Conference Championship was 51-13 @ Dudley 2022 & 42-3 @eastern 2021.
Gonna take more than one good player to beat Dudley.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT