ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Talent compared to 2023

I agree Martin and Youman are wrecking balls. I saw that last year. That can lead to missed tackles though. I am just looking for differences between last year and this one as topic asked.

As far as the helm, I don't think it will be drop off either. But communication differences and actually making the calls does vary from coach to coach. Atkins was a good coach, but his first year was riddled with delays of game and unnecessary timeouts because it took too long to get plays in. Pretty sure that was one of the things that was irritating buzz about him that first year. It got fixed, but took sometime to get figured out. I would very much like to see the offense opened up a little more and have more passing game like we saw under Holder. Especially with Landon's arm.
It was one of the things I did not like in Poindexter senior year. Kid was a good QB, but they kind of went away from passing. Understandable consider the running backs coming in at the time, but sometimes you want that big excitement while the ball is the air.
Well I think he was calling plays from the sideline. Let's remember though who the offensive coordinator is now. It's holder. And I'm pretty sure he has full control of the offense. I would bet he does anyway. Or he wouldn't be doing it. There's not many smarter offensive minds while running a physical offense. Then Kelly holder. Give me a 63-220 lb quarterback that can run and throw the ball all over the place. Will take him over here.

So you don’t remember the only points Swain scored in game 1 was a pick six ? You don’t follow us but you negate the effort the kids put forth in game 2 to make the comeback? Why diminish what happened since you could really care less?
The fact is if Swain doesn't go for it on 4th down at the end of the third quarter and in the fourth quarter. To give robbinsville a short field. They're playing in Mount Airy the next week. Terrible coaching decisions. And I think it was evident. One play from robbinsville. And a snap over the Mount Airy quarterback's head while he's looking to the sideline for a play that's it for your scores. That's it.

Reactions: sbbbfan
FYI….swain lost 99% of their offense. You can think what you want about last year and maybe you’re right, maybe not. The first game, Robbinsville D dominated the game so I’m not quite sure how they blew it. The second game, sure they lost a big lead, but the question is why? And none of this really matters as a new season is upon us.
Well, yes and no. They lost several skill players but the big boys upfront are back and that matters.

The fact is if Swain doesn't go for it on 4th down at the end of the third quarter and in the fourth quarter. To give robbinsville a short field. They're playing in Mount Airy the next week. Terrible coaching decisions. And I think it was evident. One play from robbinsville. And a snap over the Mount Airy quarterback's head while he's looking to the sideline for a play that's it for your scores. That's it.
If’s a big old word 👌 and what’s this got to do with Mt Airy? How did you fare against them? Better yet, us?

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Interview with Mount Airy’s 2025 QB Landon Gallimore by Country Sports

Landon seemed to be looking more forward to the Starmount game then North & East Surry and hoping for a three-peat state championship.

Last edited:
I have the Mount Airy Scores VS the SMC back to 2005, and MA has an advantage. Most I retrieved from MaxPrep and other places.
I’m sure they do, but this ain’t about Mt Airy. Oh wait, they seem to end up in the middle of every conversation! I was responding to rough who is a ES fan, correct?

Nobody reads the baseball threads so I'll put it here. Left hand pitchers AJ Wilson from pilot mountain and Josh Hartle from King got drafted to the major leagues. Josh in third round to Pittsburgh and AJ in 12th round to Philadelphia. Probably grew up 15 minutes apart.

I’m sure they do, but this ain’t about Mt Airy. Oh wait, they seem to end up in the middle of every conversation! I was responding to rough who is a ES fan, correct?
I agree man. I don't really have a dog in the fight with the bears anymore but I thought I would correct you. That was a terrible piece of coaching against robbinsville. You're right yo whipped our butt last year we'll see if we can't give it back this year

Y'all brought up Mount Airy and I just added to it. lol and rough is both a Mt. Airy and East Surry fan or has been in past years. Also, MA is all through this thread and not but a few by me.

Last edited:
Well, it is down to only 26 DAYS until the first football game on Friday, August 23rd. Yes, I am still counting down the days and weeks. 🏈WOW, it is almost here. Is everyone getting as excited as I am? I am hoping to make at least one home game. Maybe North Surry, away, or East Surry @ home maybe for sure, and maybe to the tailgate. I hope to get my camera on the sideline if I make it.

Reactions: recycled2
FYI….swain lost 99% of their offense. You can think what you want about last year and maybe you’re right, maybe not. The first game, Robbinsville D dominated the game so I’m not quite sure how they blew it. The second game, sure they lost a big lead, but the question is why? And none of this really matters as a new season is upon us.
Swain and Robbinsville been pretty even since youth football and with each wining a far share of championship during that time, coaching was the difference in those games and both teams did put a show on for the fans. Hate Swain was on the losing end both times. Swain D line will be a year older and all seniors, I just don't see anyone running the ball on their line so if a team doesn't have a passing game I don't see them scoring. Swain backfield and QB will be New but I think this will help their offense as the coach will be limited on what he can run and Swain O-line isn't no joke.

Reactions: RexReally
Heard of the Hartle kid , wasn't he supposed to be a first rounder out of high school? 12th round? doesn't that mean baseball is over and pursue your career after baseball?
Nobody reads the baseball threads so I'll put it here. Left hand pitchers AJ Wilson from pilot mountain and Josh Hartle from King got drafted to the major leagues. Josh in third round to Pittsburgh and AJ in 12th round to Philadelphia. Probably grew up 15 minutes apart.

Heard of the Hartle kid , wasn't he supposed to be a first rounder out of high school? 12th round? doesn't that mean baseball is over and pursue your career after baseball?
Hartle didn't have a great junior year is the reason he dropped to third round. Wilson had a really good year at UNCC to get on the draft board. Both left handers that throw in the 90's have a shot to make it.

If Hartle was going to be a 1st Rounder out of HS he wouldn’t have gone on to Wake (was projected to be 2nd-3rd rd out of HS, could have gone higher if he had a little better year this past year at Wake). As for Wilson, I think 12th rd means you have enough talent that it’s worth giving it a shot (or else major league clubs wouldn’t draft you). Maybe he lasts a couple of years in the minors and then has to give up and start his “career”….maybe he works hard, catches some breaks, and does way more than expected. There have been plenty of guys who have been later rd draft picks that have had solid MLB careers. I’d say folks like Andre Dawson (11), Trevor Hoffman (11), Nathan Eovaldi (11), Joc Peterson (11), Nolan Ryan (12), Albert Pujols (13), Jim Thome (13), Jack Clark (13), Matt Carpenter (13), Dave Parker (14), Jose Canseco (15), Dave Stewart (16), Kenny Lofton (17), Orel Hershiser (17), Bret Saberhahen (19), Don Mattingly (19), David Eckstein (19), Josh Hader (19), Ryne Sandberg (20), Jeff Kent (20), JD Martinez (20) have all done ok for themselves by acting on a later round draft selection and pursuing their dream.

What about the left handed kid from Mt. Airy, did he get drafted? If not is he going to college somewhere to play?

Kamden Hawks posted on Twitter now X
I am beyond excited to share my commitment to play D1 Baseball for Morehead State University! I want to thank God, my Parents, my Family, & my Coaches for all their support through this process. Thank you
@BradyWard25
&
@LKSteiner23
for giving me this opportunity.
9:33 PM · Oct 18, 2023

F8xA7oZWsAA5eaG

Last edited:
Reactions: sbbbfan and KW23
In my opinion, he is not draft ready YET. But with a good college pitching coach he has the natural talent to get their.
He is one of those guys, in my opinion, that with a really good college hitting coach has the natural talent to be a REALLY GOOD hitter.

For high school, he was very deserving of all his awards, and I believe he has all talent necessary when refined to be outstanding college player and possibly more.

Reactions: sbbbfan
Josh said he was going to college all along and didn’t fill out the paperwork to enter the draft out of hs.

He never considered colleges other than WFU.

He has always been above average but there’s some adjustments to make to get to mlb in my opinion but I hope he makes it.

I wouldn’t bet against him.

In my opinion, he is not draft ready YET. But with a good college pitching coach he has the natural talent to get their.
He is one of those guys, in my opinion, that with a really good college hitting coach has the natural talent to be a REALLY GOOD hitter.

For high school, he was very deserving of all his awards, and I believe he has all talent necessary when refined to be outstanding college player and possibly more.
Will be a pitcher only! Will not hit!

Reactions: kingbluedevil
Mt airy roster is looking strong 38 kids that's pretty strong for 1a
Does the 39 include the transfer from a Yadkin county school that showed up this week? Just curious.
Could be because it went from 38 to 39 but official practice starts tomorrow and that may go up. They were in the low to mid-40s last year.

• Wow
Reactions: MayberryBillyBob
Or quit changing your name from Mr Man to Mayberry Billy Bob. Or maybe buzzcoach. Does anybody remember MA stud
Im deff not buzzboy , nor a stud ( ask around ) Dont pretend to be billy bob. But if you want to side bar this then im open. ONE THING IS FOR CERTAIN -- THEM BARNEY B@Y$ got those transfer coming in , aint no hiding it . Being confirmed even by the starmount folks now. Been waiting for this moment. Rough i thought we were homies , we can go down the path if yhea wanna , but do yhea REALLY?

I TOLD YOU SOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What kind of turnout for the first day of practice was this past Wednesday through today 2024 compared to 2023 including any new players and did all expected from 2023 return that did not graduate ?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT