ADVERTISEMENT

Volleyball 2016 NCHSAA Women's State Basketball Pairings

Deana_King

Staff
May 31, 2001
1A WOMEN’S STATE TOURNEY

1A EAST

#32 Kenan, James (8-14) at #1 Roxboro Community (22-0)

#17 Ocracoke (14-8) at #16 South Robeson (15-7)

#25 Cape Hatteras (11-10) at #8 Wallace-Rose Hill (14-7)

#24 Perquimans (12-10) at #9 Franklin Academy (20-2)

#28 KIPP Pride (8-12) at #5 Southeast Halifax (17-2)

#21 Camden County (13-9) at #12 Manteo (16-6)

#21 Tarboro (6-14) at #13 Weldon (12-7)

#29 Lejeune (7-12) at #4 Rosewood (20-2)

#30 Southside (7-12) at #3 Pamlico County (21-1)

#19 Spring Creek (11-11) at #14 East Carteret (10-10)

#27 Whiteville (9-9) at #6 Northampton (16-3)

#22 Raleigh Charter (13-9) at #11 Riverside-Martin (16-6)

#26 Kestrel Heights (11-10) at #7 East Columbus (17-4)

#23 Neuse Charter (11-9) at #10 Lakewood (17-5)

#18 Northwest Halifax (10-10) at #15 Jones Senior (17-5)

#31 Northside-Pinetown (8-14) at #2 Plymouth (21-1)

1A WEST

#32 North Moore (8-14) at #1 Hiwassee Dam (22-0)

#17 River Mill Academy (14-8) at #16 West Montgomery (12-6)

#25 Mountain Island Charter (12-10) at #8 Avery County (13-9)

#24 North Stanly (12-9) at #9 Community School of Davidson (18-4)

#28 Bishop McGuinness (11-11) at #5 Gray Stone Day (20-2)

#21 Blue Ridge Early College (7-13) at #12 Atkins (16-5)

#20 Swain County (10-12) at #13 Albemarle (12-10)

#29 Chatham Charter (10-12) at #4 Elkin (20-2)

#30 East Surry (10-12) at #3 South Davidson (20-2)

#19 Highland School of Technology (11-11) at #14 Highlands (5-17)

#27 Pine Lake Prep (11-11) at #6 Cherokee (18-4)

#22 Rosman (14-8) at #11 Robbinsville (16-5)

#26 Andrews (11-19) at #7 Lincoln Charter (14-8)

#23 East Wilkes (14-8) at #10 Chatham Central (17-5)

#18 South Stanly (11-11) at #15 Mount Airy (18-4)

#31 Mitchell (9-13) at #2 Winston-Salem Prep (20-2)

1A WEST

#32 North Moore (8-14) at #1 Hiwassee Dam (22-0). ***winner HD***

#17 River Mill Academy (14-8) at #16 West Montgomery (12-6) ***winner West Mont***

#25 Mountain Island Charter (12-10) at #8 Avery County (13-9) ***winner Avery***

#24 North Stanly (12-9) at #9 Community School of Davidson (18-4)
***winner North Stanly***

#28 Bishop McGuinness (11-11) at #5 Gray Stone Day (20-2) ***Winner GS***

#21 Blue Ridge Early College (7-13) at #12 Atkins (16-5) ***Winner Atkins***

#20 Swain County (10-12) at #13 Albemarle (12-10) ***winner Alb***

#29 Chatham Charter (10-12) at #4 Elkin (20-2) ***Winner Elkin***

#30 East Surry (10-12) at #3 South Davidson (20-2) *** Winner SD***

#19 Highland School of Technology (11-11) at #14 Highlands (5-17) ***winner high tech***

#27 Pine Lake Prep (11-11) at #6 Cherokee (18-4) ***winner Cherokee***

#22 Rosman (14-8) at #11 Robbinsville (16-5). ***Winner Robbinsville***

#26 Andrews (11-19) at #7 Lincoln Charter (14-8) *** Winner Andrews***

#23 East Wilkes (14-8) at #10 Chatham Central (17-5) ***chatham central***

#18 South Stanly (11-11) at #15 Mount Airy (18-4) *** MA ***

#31 Mitchell (9-13) at #2 Winston-Salem Prep (20-2). ***prep***

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
The Bishop-Gray Stone matchup catches my eye the most. That should be a very good game.

I tell you what Chute I agree. GS is a very good defensive team and has alot of size led by seniors. They are a very good basketball team and one that will not beat themselves. I am interested to see how they do most definitely. Being from here I am pulling for GS in this one but having never seen Bishop play it's hard to tell. You know Bishop won't beat themselves. I am expecting a defensive battle.

I tell you what Chute I agree. GS is a very good defensive team and has alot of size led by seniors. They are a very good basketball team and one that will not beat themselves. I am interested to see how they do most definitely. Being from here I am pulling for GS in this one but having never seen Bishop play it's hard to tell. You know Bishop won't beat themselves. I am expecting a defensive battle.

Me too Bulldog. I'm in the opposite boat. Never seen GDS but am familiar with Bishop. The thing that's always impressed me the most with Bishop is how well they communicate and move their feet on defense. GDS better be prepared to work on the offensive end.

No disrespect to GDS, who certainly deserves some credit for winning that league two years in a row, but Bishop should win this game. They've played and beaten some of the top teams in state and even nationally this year, have the vastly superior back court and plenty up front. GDS hasn't played anyone on Bishop's level this year.

That said, Bishop is reliant on a group of 4-5 freshman/sophomore players in their rotation who are playing their first playoff game. If they play wide-eyed and Bishop is reliant on their "Big 2" to carry them, GDS will absolutely have a shot to win the game.

No disrespect to GDS, who certainly deserves some credit for winning that league two years in a row, but Bishop should win this game. They've played and beaten some of the top teams in state and even nationally this year, have the vastly superior back court and plenty up front. GDS hasn't played anyone on Bishop's level this year.

That said, Bishop is reliant on a group of 4-5 freshman/sophomore players in their rotation who are playing their first playoff game. If they play wide-eyed and Bishop is reliant on their "Big 2" to carry them, GDS will absolutely have a shot to win the game.

Just a point of reference not a big one on matchups but Bishop played TW andrews and so did eastern Randolph. Bishop lost to TW by 5 and eastern Randolph lost to west mont by 7 (who Albemarle beat by 15 (had them up by 30 at after 3) additionally eastern Randolph lost to North stanly who lost decisively to GS. Now you can't look at matchups and say this team is better than that team but you can say they are in the ballpark if you look at a wide array of matchups. GS played Port Ridge a descent 4a team and lost by 18 I think and Port ridge didn't pull away until late in the 4th.

This will be a defensive contest in my opinion. I am pulling for GS but I think it will be a contest. I would be shocked if this game is a blow out either way.

the NW 1A is the best girls league in 1A ....take away 2 teams, and it's playoff basketball nightly....nothing against GSD but BM will be more than prepared after the battles they've had...what's frustrating is that 4 of the better teams in 1A west could face each other Thurs night (with wins) and 2 will be gone....

Reactions: Girls -BBall Fan
I'd say over the past few years the nwc is on a level all there own followed not to far by the smc. Both have been very consistent in sending teams to regionals. After that albemarle conf.

Unfortunately the state does not care about 1-a girls basketball why else would it let a team that is 9 games under .500 host a first round play-off game. I would rather go back to the per determine brackets were you schools from the same conference normal would not face each other until the third round. Or the NCHSAA could come into the 21st century and use a system that takes into account strength of schedule. Give all conference champions at least one home

Reactions: bballerfanatic7
the NW 1A is the best girls league in 1A ....take away 2 teams, and it's playoff basketball nightly....nothing against GSD but BM will be more than prepared after the battles they've had...what's frustrating is that 4 of the better teams in 1A west could face each other Thurs night (with wins) and 2 will be gone....

I will agree the NW conference has been the top conference thus far however this GS team is a senior led team and they have played together for a couple of years now. And playing at GS is not an easy game. Like I said regardless I would be shocked if this is a blow out on either side this will be a defensive contest.

I agree with considering SOS but how do you do that? Max preps is not reliable for example you have Albemarle that beat west mont handily beat north stanly 2x and both teams are ranked above them despite the schedule Albemarle played.

Also good luck to all teams tonight and safe travels. I know some teams are traveling 4 hrs tonight so be safe.

I love this time of year. It's great to debate with you all and talk basketball.

Also good luck to all teams tonight and safe travels. I know some teams are traveling 4 hrs tonight so be safe.

I love this time of year. It's great to debate with you all and talk basketball.
You are not kidding about travel. How far is N. Moore to Hiwasse Dam?

years ago the brackets were predetermined : NW #1 vs SM #3 for example...back then one had an idea of who they could draw without waiting til 5:00 on Sat night....not exactly sure how to do the WC's but it would keep from having conf tourneys in first couple of rounds....EXAMPLE in boys 4A RJR and West Forsyth are meeting for the 5th time this season in 1st round

Reactions: Sportsnut17
You are not kidding about travel. How far is N. Moore to Hiwasse Dam?

north Moore to HD 5hrs 38min of drive time. Then you have traffic, stops etc.

Swain is 4hrs from Albemarle

Definitely a lot of road time today for some teams.

Last edited:
years ago the brackets were predetermined : NW #1 vs SM #3 for example...back then one had an idea of who they could draw without waiting til 5:00 on Sat night....not exactly sure how to do the WC's but it would keep from having conf tourneys in first couple of rounds....EXAMPLE in boys 4A RJR and West Forsyth are meeting for the 5th time this season in 1st round

Why did they change it from that format? I don't mind this format currently but would love a SOS factor. I'm not a big fan of padding your schedule but some of these teams are doing it to get a home game. Those teams for the most part will be exposed tonight and Thursday I believe. Unfortunately you have some good teams playing each other in the first and second rd but I guess you will always have something like that.

Why did they change it from that format? I don't mind this format currently but would love a SOS factor. I'm not a big fan of padding your schedule but some of these teams are doing it to get a home game. Those teams for the most part will be exposed tonight and Thursday I believe. Unfortunately you have some good teams playing each other in the first and second rd but I guess you will always have something like that.
Bareman, Am I correct that 1 & 2 seeds in conference are going to be home at least the first round. So WC would not have a home game, which sorta takes away padding schedule.May get them in tourney though.

Bareman, Am I correct that 1 & 2 seeds in conference are going to be home at least the first round. So WC would not have a home game, which sorta takes away padding schedule.May get them in tourney though.

Your #16 gets a home game which is a WC I believe. Padding comes in to assisting your seed. Just like south stanly beating CSD by 30 and south and north tied for 3rd followed by Union Academy at 5th who beat Mtn island charter. You could argue in our conference they do not make the playoffs. If Union Academy pads their schedule they are sitting in the playoffs. That's the difference. I think

Your #16 gets a home game which is a WC I believe. Padding comes in to assisting your seed. Just like south stanly beating CSD by 30 and south and north tied for 3rd followed by Union Academy at 5th who beat Mtn island charter. You could argue in our conference they do not make the playoffs. If Union Academy pads their schedule they are sitting in the playoffs. That's the difference. I think

West Montgomery is a 16 seed, where did they finish in conference?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT