ADVERTISEMENT

1A West Top Teams??

bballerfanatic7

Nov 4, 2008
How would you rank these teams right now? Might be fun to look at now and then come back right before the playoffs and see what changes...

SMC:
- Cherokee is 12-0 overall, has already beaten Hayesville, and hasn't had a conference game besides that within 30 points

WHC:
- Avery is 3-0 in WHC with 25 pt win over Owen, 30 pt win over Hendersonville, and 40 pt win over Polk

MVAC:
- Alleghany is 3-0 in MVAC with 4 pt win over Ashe, 35 pt win over North Wilkes, and 17 pt win over Elkin

SPC:
- Lincoln Charter is 3-0 in SPC with 20 pt win over Cherryville, 20 pt win over Highland Tech, and 30 pt win over Pine Lake Prep

NWC:
- Winston Salem Prep is 4-0 in NWC with 16 pt win over Bishop, 11 pt win over East Surry, 35 pt win over Walkertown, and 26 pt win over Mt. Airy

YVC:
- Albemarle is 3-0 in YVC with 60 pt win over Gray Stone Day, 40 pt win over Union Academy, and 35 pt win over South Stanly

Looks like some pretty dominate teams in every conf. Who would be each conf biggest contender ? After these teams

Starmount is very good in the Mountain Valley as well. They are 4-0 and are winning by some pretty big margins. I could be wrong, but I think the Western bracket is going to be the strongest that it has been in years. The East may be also, but I do not get to see them play this time of year, so I do not know

LSM hd is pretty good beat Lincoln charter by 30 hayesville by 15 Robbinsville by 15 not much size plenty of depth

Dam Nation, I think they are referring to boys teams. I don't think HD boys have beaten Robbinsville or Hayesville.

No we they had a game scheduled with Cherokee but the flu bug canceled it would have been a good game I'm thinking both match up about the same

Originally posted by Dam Nation:
No we they had a game scheduled with Cherokee but the flu bug canceled it would have been a good game I'm thinking both match up about the same
I've actually seen both and it would be a good game but Hiwassee Dam is the better team this season. Shope in the post would be too much for the Lady Braves to handle IMHO.

Anything can happen in a one game scenario but if these two teams were to play one another let's say ten times on a neutral floor, then I would see HD winning something like 7 - 8 of them, IMHO.

I didn't realize until very recently that Rabun Gap (the #12 ranked team in North Carolina all classifications) top scorer Meona Feather is from Cherokee. Wow, the Cherokee girls may well have rolled to a state title last season had Feather been a member of the Lady Braves. Feather averaged 15 points a game last season as a freshman, adding a girl that had D1 offers as a freshman to Toineatta and Mintz would've been something else.

What's also extremely impressive is the fact that Hiwassee Dam actually beat Rabun Gap this season. Rabun Gap is massive with five girls standing 5'10 or taller, including two starters that are over 6'2" (6'3" PF and a 6'5" C) and three girls overall with D1 offers, all this with only an eleven player roster.

I don't think it will be "groundbreaking" to anyone familiar with them but neither the Hayesville or Cherokee girls are as good as last season. The loss of McQuade and Mintz respectively was/is simply too large for either team to be a serious state title threat this season, both have a shot at regionals but if I'm being honest I think it's unlikely from either one IMO.

This post was edited on 1/9 3:23 AM by mbdfan

I agree, HD girls is the best in SMC and Cherokee might be second. I think Robbinsville will be either 2nd or 3rd and Hayesville 4th. We will find out who the 2nd best is in about 10 hours.

Since no one actually ranked them, I'll throw a ranking out:

1.) WSP
2.) Albemarle
3.) Avery
4.) Lincoln Charter
5.) Alleghany
6.) Cherokee

No disrespect intended at all to Cherokee or Alleghany. Just my opinion only looking at these 6 teams and if they ended up playing one another in the playoffs.

bballerfanatic7....I've seen Albemarle, Avery, Lincoln Charter, and Alleghany play this year. They all are solid and all have the potential to compete for a title. But from what I've seen, and I will leave out WSP and Cherokee because I haven't seen them, it would go Avery (they are deep and know how to play ball #5 can play with anybody) Lincoln Charter (they have speed, # 1 PG I've seen in most classifications, guards and bigs and go deep as well) Albemarle (speed and very deep plus have size that will help them wear on teams) Alleghany (they have the big boy inside and most everyone back from last season. they play a slow pace and really good defense).

I've heard Cherokee is for real but I haven't seen them but I'm sure they are good. I've heard WSP is good but down from what they were but they are still very talented. Looking forward to seeing these teams play one another. 1A basketball should be fun come playoff time.

Originally posted by Mont1963:
What happened to BK 13??

Done a disappearing act !!!
He is waiting for a Knight win to come back on. Should hear from him soon.

Would love to see this game of Hiwassee played against Cherokee. If Hiwassee Dam can beat this caliber type of teams then they should get a shot at the top BSMC. IVe heard of course the you can't take things so literal but something about Cherokee schedule couldn't fit a game in. Idk. I am just wanting see a good game and put all these questions to rest. Maybe I'll just have to wait for playoffs for the match up. But I've heard very positive things coming outta that squad.

HD also beat a 5a or 6a Georgia school in Christmas tournament.I don't know what caliber that team was.

Shiloh was the team hd beat in the Christmas tournament we never lead till the last two min they are long and very athletic no bench to speak of.HD runs 3 to 5 girls in at a time and by the fourth Shiloh was busted, very competitive high school game

They beat 6A Shiloh from metro Atlanta. Even more impressive, they beat Rabun Gap, 15-3 private school, NCISAA 3A semifinalist last year and runner up the year before. HD can play with anyone.

Looking forward to Tuesday Deana. I am expecting it to be a really good game between 2 of the top 1a teams in the state. Win or lose, it is contests like this that makes high school sports fun. However, Alleghany has a big matchup tomorrow night with 2a West Wilkes. Knowing that you guys beat them by 2 in overtime means it will be a very big test for the Trojans at West Wilkes. Seems like the scheduling guys had something against Alleghany putting West and Starmount back to back.

I think the most compelling matchup in the Starmount/Alleghany game would be Ashley and Sprinkle. They are both really strong, really quick, they can both drive, and both can really shoot. I expect them to get after one another all night.

Lots of good matchups, the Rams have some size to battle Alleghany's big guys. Ashley had 29 last night.

Should be a good one!
Posted from Rivals Mobile

You are right about the size. With Gregory and Bryant, Starmount throws size at you as well. Not sure that either of them is the same caliber player as Santos though. I am probably biased because of where I am from, but I think he affects more games in more ways than any other player in the conference. Of the teams that report stats, Santo leads the league in blocks, assists, and rebounds and is in the top 5 in the other two major stats. Very unusual for a player to lead in the big man stats and assists as well. It speaks to his versatility, and may be the reason that he was the conference player of the year last year. It will be a battle of will also. I have saw Starmount play, and they prefer to play full court and fast. Alleghany can play fast if they choose to, but would rather make you score on them in the half court. I read on another site where a guy said they like to make it a knuckle scrapping game of execution. It will be interesting to see who gets their way.

Are you coming to the game Deana?

Updated thoughts with a week to go in regular season:

1.) WSP
2.) Avery
3.) Albemarle
4.) Hayesville
5.) Lincoln Charter
6.) Starmount
7.) Alleghany
8.) Cherokee

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts