26.LEADERSHIP ACADEMY
27.HAYESVILLE
28.ELKIN
29.GRAY STONE DAY
30.SOUTH STOKES
31.HIWASSEE DAM
32.BRADFORD PREP

Last edited:
Albemarle plays Graystone tomorrow and mount Friday. Albemarle beat mount in the first matchup. That’s in the 1a/2a Yadkin.

Another poorly worded part of the playoff rule is where it says the top team in their class from a split conference must finish in the top 3 in the conference "and/or" have an overall winning percentage of .500 or higher to be seeded with the #1s. So for teams like Albemarle and Uwharrie Charter, if you take that as meaning "and," they wouldn't be seeded with the 1s because they're in 4th at the moment behind 3 2A teams. But if you take it as "or" they probably would since they're both 11-5 overall right now. I would've probably written it as "must finish in the top three in the conference or have an overall winning percentage of .500, or both," but I think that's what it means.

Another wrinkle on this is that in basketball the Smoky Mountain is split into two conferences. So there will be another team coming into the 1-line from the "Little Smoky." Probably Highlands.

Another poorly worded part of the playoff rule is where it says the top team in their class from a split conference must finish in the top 3 in the conference "and/or" have an overall winning percentage of .500 or higher to be seeded with the #1s. So for teams like Albemarle and Uwharrie Charter, if you take that as meaning "and," they wouldn't be seeded with the 1s because they're in 4th at the moment behind 3 2A teams. But if you take it as "or" they probably would since they're both 11-5 overall right now. I would've probably written it as "must finish in the top three in the conference or have an overall winning percentage of .500, or both," but I think that's what it means.

Another wrinkle on this is that in basketball the Smoky Mountain is split into two conferences. So there will be another team coming into the 1-line from the "Little Smoky." Probably Highlands.
I’m guessing this one could change a lot in two weeks time lol

True. I am still grasping how all this will play out with the RPI and new rules. Definitely interested in seeing all the projections this year

Reactions: 97Cougar
THESE ARE NOT PREDICTIONS. IT IS BASED ON IF THE PLAYOFFS STARTED TODAY BY RPI'S.

THINGS WILL CHANGE DRAMATICALLY IN THE NEXT COUPLE WEEKS.
Heritage has mitchell, rosman, and draughn twice. I know the WHC schedule will probably cause some changes as I’m sure the SMC will as well.

Reactions: Hon Dines
THESE ARE NOT PREDICTIONS. IT IS BASED ON IF THE PLAYOFFS STARTED TODAY BY RPI'S.

THINGS WILL CHANGE DRAMATICALLY IN THE NEXT COUPLE WEEKS.
Albemarle is now 3rd after Robinson lost to north stanly tonight. Albemarle plays Graystone tomorrow Mount Pleasant Friday North on Tuesday UA next Friday and Robinson the following Tuesday finishing with Graystone.

Albemarle 58-32 over Graystone. Albemarle plays Mount Pleasant tomorrow both are 3-2 in conf with Albemarle winning the first matchup and is 2nd in conference.

Well Albemarle is postponed tonight will have north stanly on Tuesday mount pleasant Thursday and Union academy Friday followed by Robinson the following Tuesday. Really looking forward to hopefully a full playoff this year.

UPDATED 1-29-22

1A GIRLS WEST

1-METRO 8
1.PIEDMONT COMMUNITY CHARTER #9
2-NORTHWEST
1.MOUNT AIRY #8
3-NORTHWEST PIEDMONT
1.BISHOP McGUINNESS #3
4-BIG SMOKY MOUNTAIN
1.MURPHY #2
1A/2A
5-CATAWBA SHORES
1.LANGTREE CHARTER #5
6-CENTRAL CAROLINA
1.NORTH ROWAN #4
7.PAC 7
1.UWHARRIE CHARTER
8-SOUTHERN PIEDMONT
1.THOMAS JEFFERSON #10
9-WESTERN HIGHLANDS
1.MOUNTAIN HERITAGE #1
10.YADKIN VALLEY
1.ALBEMARLE #7
11.-LITTLE SMOKY MTN.
1.HIGHLANDS #6

1. MOUNTAIN HERITAGE/32.BRADFORD PREP
2. MURPHY/31.GRAY STONE DAY
3. BISHOP McGUINNESS/30.SOUTH STOKES
4. NORTH ROWAN/29.HIWASSEE DAM
5. LANGTREE CHARTER/28.ELKIN
6. HIGHLANDS/27.HAYESVILLE
7. ALBEMARLE/26.LEADERSHIP ACADEMY
8. MOUNT AIRY/25.SOUTH DAVIDSON
9. PIEDMONT COMM. CHARTER/24.CHRIST THE KING
10.THOMAS JEFFERSON/23.STARMOUNT
11.UWHARRIE CHARTER/22.SWAIN COUNTY

12.ROSMAN/21.AVERY COUNTY
13.CHEROKEE/20.BLUE RIDGE EARLY COLLEGE
14.ROBBINSVILLE/19.BESSEMER CITY
15.DRAUGHN/18.EAST WILKES
16.MITCHELL/17.EASTERN RANDOPH
17.EASTERN RANDOLPH
18.EAST WILKES
19.BESSEMER CITY
20.BLUE RIDGE EARLY COLLEGE
21.AVERY COUNTY
22.SWAIN COUNTY
23.STARMOUNT
24.CHRIST THE KING
25.SOUTH DAVIDSON
26.LEADERSHIP ACADEMY
27.HAYESVILLE
28.ELKIN
29.HIWASSEE DAM
30.SOUTH STOKES
31.GRAY STONE DAY
32.BRADFORD PREP

Last edited:
RPIs are fine, I would just personally rather still have the 2 seeds with their own seeding line. Pretty much makes winning the conference tournament not matter now. A team not in top 32 RPI winning the tournament and stealing a bid is the only thing it matters for but that might happen once in a blue moon.

RPIs are fine, I would just personally rather still have the 2 seeds with their own seeding line. Pretty much makes winning the conference tournament not matter now. A team not in top 32 RPI winning the tournament and stealing a bid is the only thing it matters for but that might happen once in a blue moon.
Great point. I’m not sure how I feel about all the split conferences still. I’m a big fan of earning your spot into the playoffs. With the current system you might as well do like some other states do and let everybody in have a true sectional district regional state format. Because you can be missing some descent teams from playoffs

Great point. I’m not sure how I feel about all the split conferences still. I’m a big fan of earning your spot into the playoffs. With the current system you might as well do like some other states do and let everybody in have a true sectional district regional state format. Because you can be missing some descent teams from playoffs
Honestly if your going with rpi’s go with the top 64 and call it a day lol.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Some of the states that do it like that, you can have a great year then get upset in your league tournament first round and be done. I think that's also a bit harsh and makes the league tournament matter too much, but I think we go too far the other way where it hardly matters at all now.

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
Some of the states that do it like that, you can have a great year then get upset in your league tournament first round and be done. I think that's also a bit harsh and makes the league tournament matter too much, but I think we go too far the other way where it hardly matters at all now.
Agreed

I have notice(not sure which class or division) that one team that was outside the top 32. Got in as a #1. Causing the magic number of the top 32 to 31.

Albemarle lost a tough one to North Stanly last night 55-47. It was a great battle between two talented teams. Albemarle plays mount pleasant Thursday and Union academy Friday

Anxious to see the updates. I seen where Robbinsville beat Cherokee not sure if that moves things a lot. Any other games happen where it could shake some things up for state playoffs?

In the early 2000’s, Thomasville won four state championships. They were tough for a lot of years and even when they didn’t win it, were playing tough with teams like Salisbury and East Davidson, who collectively won several more. It’s painful now to see box scores where the Lady Bulldogs rarely break twenty points, and sometimes score in single digits. Sad how that once proud program has fallen.

In the early 2000’s, Thomasville won four state championships. They were tough for a lot of years and even when they didn’t win it, were playing tough with teams like Salisbury and East Davidson, who collectively won several more. It’s painful now to see box scores where the Lady Bulldogs rarely break twenty points, and sometimes score in single digits. Sad how that once proud program has fallen.
Definitely with you. Not sure what happened with them to be honest. Hopefully they bounce back soon!!!

OC, seems I remember a run where you guys were good, as in state level, in Football, basketball and baseball in those years?

Mount Airy Girls will go undefeated in the NWC, 11-0 now, and will be 12-0 in the Conference come Friday night. The Conference Championship was sawn up Wednesday y night against 1-17 Alleghany Friday night.

I watched that game tonight on nfhsnetwork. Checking out ER. Trinity to me won it hitting free throws. ER couldn't make them but Trinity did! Back and forth game till 3 minutes left.
Don, I just saw who ER's scoring leaders were on Sportstone. I'm willing to bet they were without their best player last night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT