ADVERTISEMENT

1A Pamlico County beats 4A New Bern

Outstanding! Congrats to Coach Nowell at the crew in Pamlico. Do it again next week. Leave no doubt!

What...for real?? 51-0 New Bern should absolutely be ashamed of this,ok you lost to a 1a school it happens,but to lose 51-0 is just totally unacceptable and shameful...congrats to pamlico that's something to be proud of,new bern has fallen off the face of the earth

What...for real?? 51-0 New Bern should absolutely be ashamed of this,ok you lost to a 1a school it happens,but to lose 51-0 is just totally unacceptable and shameful...congrats to pamlico that's something to be proud of,new bern has fallen off the face of the earth

This ^!

Reactions: Swo_05
Is this the same New Bern that was the state 4A champion in 2014 ?. If so wow.

Is this the same New Bern that was the state 4A champion in 2014 ?. If so wow.

And in 2012.

1. Numbers are drastically down
2. AD doesn't care about football
3. Teacher pay is a joke in Craven County. They have either 5 or 6 paid coaches to serve both JV and Varsity.

For the first time in many years, the feeder schools are producing some talent, just have to wait 2-3 more years for it to develop.

Reactions: Swo_05
And in 2012.

1. Numbers are drastically down
2. AD doesn't care about football
3. Teacher pay is a joke in Craven County. They have either 5 or 6 paid coaches to serve both JV and Varsity.

For the first time in many years, the feeder schools are producing some talent, just have to wait 2-3 more years for it to develop.

Teacher pay is a joke across the state and I'm sure the AD cares about football since football forks the athletic bill at any football playing school.

Reactions: ncjeff
It’s worse in Craven County, look it up. You’d think football would be a high priority, simply isn’t.
Teacher pay across state is the same aside from local supplements which in Craven averages around an extra $3200 a year which is more than several other counties receive. What are they prioritizing over football?

Reactions: Steelers71
Teacher pay across state is the same aside from local supplements which in Craven averages around an extra $3200 a year which is more than several other counties receive. What are they prioritizing over football?

Same reason Jim Bob Bryant was screaming so loud a few years back, the lack of money from the Craven County Schools when it comes to funding athletic programs and paying coaches.

Now I'm not saying you have to pay head football coaches six-figure salaries, but at least show some appreciation for their work and long hours they put in, not to mention the fact that a head football coach is the most important figure on campus in regards to raising money, and helping to forge the direction of a school. Paying a 20-year veteran head coach a 10-month teaching salary and a measly $5,000 stipend, half of which he'll lose to taxes is ludicrous and the primary reason the New Bern job was turned down by some really, really good head coaching candidates.

Also, housing in New Bern is expensive which doesn't help when the local teacher supplement is very weak.

Same reason Jim Bob Bryant was screaming so loud a few years back, the lack of money from the Craven County Schools when it comes to funding athletic programs and paying coaches.

Now I'm not saying you have to pay head football coaches six-figure salaries, but at least show some appreciation for their work and long hours they put in, not to mention the fact that a head football coach is the most important figure on campus in regards to raising money, and helping to forge the direction of a school. Paying a 20-year veteran head coach a 10-month teaching salary and a measly $5,000 stipend, half of which he'll lose to taxes is ludicrous and the primary reason the New Bern job was turned down by some really, really good head coaching candidates.

Also, housing in New Bern is expensive which doesn't help when the local teacher supplement is very weak.

And with the storm damage housing costs will increase.

Reactions: StallionSWO
Still NO excuse to lost to a SMALL 1A school. "51-0".... when you got them by almost 1000 kids...smh

Too bad we couldn't get those foreign exchange students who came in this year which pushed our ADM number up to try out for the team. No excuses were given on why New Bern lost. But I'll give you one reason why they did, they aren't good.

One thing - they lost their senior starting QB - from what I was told took his stuff off and just left in the middle of a game and quit. If that doesn't say something about the overall metal aspect of the team then I don't know what does.

One thing - they lost their senior starting QB - from what I was told took his stuff off and just left in the middle of a game and quit. If that doesn't say something about the overall metal aspect of the team then I don't know what does.

The QB has taken his lumps the past two years, for sure. You've got former players blasting the coach and admin on social media, not good, Bob. The new coach laid down the law when he came here giving players suits and ties to wear on game days while implementing a no non-sense attitude. With that being said, I'm sure it's frustrating on these kids when you're getting blown out every game.

someone was talking about them losing a qb or lack of by the football program. idc, thats NEW BERN 4a New Bern

New Bern Has gone through a coaching transition and a natural disaster that may have something to do with the state of football there at the moment; however, do not take anything away from Pamlico and Coach Nowell. He is a really good coach who works hard, loves his kids, and believes in building men first. Finally what does being 1A have to do with it. Ask Tarboro, Edenton, Norhampton, and yes Pamlico.

New Bern Has gone through a coaching transition and a natural disaster that may have something to do with the state of football there at the moment; however, do not take anything away from Pamlico and Coach Nowell. He is a really good coach who works hard, loves his kids, and believes in building men first. Finally what does being 1A have to do with it. Ask Tarboro, Edenton, Norhampton, and yes Pamlico.

I'm a New Bern homer and would love to agree with your first sentence but I watched the 4 games before the Hurricane, wasn't pretty. Talent coming up, but it's simply not there this year.

As far as Coach Nowell, agree 110%, I actually wanted him to take the New Bern job. You'd be hard-pressed to find someone that loves football like that guy does. After he and his team completed several hours of community service after the Hurricane, he went around the state just to watch some football games because he couldn't stand being away from the game. He's done a helluva job at Pamlico.

Reactions: 1of4horsemen
I'm a New Bern homer and would love to agree with your first sentence but I watched the 4 games before the Hurricane, wasn't pretty. Talent coming up, but it's simply not there this year.

As far as Coach Nowell, agree 110%, I actually wanted him to take the New Bern job. You'd be hard-pressed to find someone that loves football like that guy does. After he and his team completed several hours of community service after the Hurricane, he went around the state just to watch some football games because he couldn't stand being away from the game. He's done a helluva job at Pamlico.
I
I don't know who is there, but you couldn't go wrong with Torrey!

Reactions: NBBears20124ACHAMPS
This group of Pamlico kids beat the New Bern, Havelock and West Craven middle schools back in the day. They are not as surprised by this as everyone else.

Why is middle school even a typic Havelock has 3 middle schools so your never playing the full group of kids that are playing on the high school team.. do you think this group can hang with HHS after getting the brakes beat off them by Tarboro a few weeks ago NB just truly sucks the program is in shambles.

Tarboro is a different breed of 1A, so you cant even use their name in what you are trying to say....IDC (I DONT CARE) how you guys put it, a VARSITY 4A school like New Bern should never lose to a 1A school like Pamlico 51-0. If it was Tarboro or maybe even Edenton, yea I understand but Pamlico NOOOOO....Yea Pamlico is good this year and Torrey is doing his thing with the program but 51- zero....no I cant justify that!!

Tarboro is a different breed of 1A, so you cant even use their name in what you are trying to say....IDC (I DONT CARE) how you guys put it, a VARSITY 4A school like New Bern should never lose to a 1A school like Pamlico 51-0. If it was Tarboro or maybe even Edenton, yea I understand but Pamlico NOOOOO....Yea Pamlico is good this year and Torrey is doing his thing with the program but 51- zero....no I cant justify that!!

I hate to bring this to light but there are a lot of sorry 4A and 3A teams out there that would lose to them Pamilco finally has a good team they have been good for a few years now they aren’t one of the elite teams yet but they can do some damage. Not sure how far they will go in the playoffs but that win could help and again NB is in disarray right now. When you don’t know how to capitalize with the people you have this is what happens you get your butt whipped every time. I give it another year and they will make a change. Hopefully they get to repay the but whopping. I honestly wouldn’t look at this as a major win for pamilico, but a major blow for NB

I hate to bring this to light but there are a lot of sorry 4A and 3A teams out there that would lose to them Pamilco finally has a good team they have been good for a few years now they aren’t one of the elite teams yet but they can do some damage. Not sure how far they will go in the playoffs but that win could help and again NB is in disarray right now. When you don’t know how to capitalize with the people you have this is what happens you get your butt whipped every time. I give it another year and they will make a change. Hopefully they get to repay the but whopping. I honestly wouldn’t look at this as a major win for pamilico, but a major blow for NB

I'm hearing that Pamlico and New Bern have scheduled a home and away for the next few years. I don't think our coach liked Hillside on the schedule. The stands and social media hasn't been a friendly place this year. If NB goes through this again next year, it's going to get really ugly.

I'm hearing that Pamlico and New Bern have scheduled a home and away for the next few years. I don't think our coach liked Hillside on the schedule. The stands and social media hasn't been a friendly place this year. If NB goes through this again next year, it's going to get really ugly.

They need to schedule hard teams until they get back to the way they were, and stay way from the 1A/2A teams 80% of their schedule should be top 4A schools we are already handing them the business over the past few years. I sure miss the New Bern Havelock Battles of the past.

Pamlico does have a good team and they havent been good for years. Just two years ago they were 2-10 and the year before that they were 5-6. Last year they were 9-5 which is decent. But how many 4a schools with New Bern History would lose to a SMALL 1A school ALOT to 0 ??? I cant think of any sorry

Pamlico does have a good team and they havent been good for years. Just two years ago they were 2-10 and the year before that they were 5-6. Last year they were 9-5 which is decent. But how many 4a schools with New Bern History would lose to a SMALL 1A school ALOT to 0 ??? I cant think of any sorry

New Bern has been going down hill for a few years HHS and New Bern has always gone at it for years, when we started beating them by 40 points or more that was the beginning of the end.

If they can't get some decent QB play, might be more of the same next year. Unfortunately, I don't see a Brett Wiliams, Josh Taylor or Mike Hughes type of player behind center for the Bears in 2019.

If they can't get some decent QB play, might be more of the same next year. Unfortunately, I don't see a Brett Wiliams, Josh Taylor or Mike Hughes type of player behind center for the Bears in 2019.

It isn’t that they don’t build there program any more like Havelock Tarboro and other good programs in the area. It starts in the Pee Wee league and middle school you can’t just show up your freshman year any more and think your going to do work. These schools put in work to keep programs winning year after year and you have to get the kids to buy in to it a few more years of getting the crap beat out you will kill a program. They will need someone that wants to put in work and understand the community.

It isn’t that they don’t build there program any more like Havelock Tarboro and other good programs in the area. It starts in the Pee Wee league and middle school you can’t just show up your freshman year any more and think your going to do work. These schools put in work to keep programs winning year after year and you have to get the kids to buy in to it a few more years of getting the crap beat out you will kill a program. They will need someone that wants to put in work and understand the community.
If this isnt the truth!!!!! The best response on this forum!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT