#11 Piedmont Community 43 vs. #22 Starmount 51
===========================================
#7 Highlands 66 vs. #26 Hiwassee Dam 43
#10 Bessemer City 50 vs. #23 Avery County 53
#15 Cherokee 65 vs. #18 Eastern Randolph 62
#2 Mountain Heritage 57 vs. #31 South Stokes 11
==========================================

Last edited:
Depends on which heritage team shows up they are a very young team and Cherokee seems like a very solid team. If they both get by the first round should be a great 2nd round match up.
Cherokee is one of those teams at the 15 whether it was Murphy or MH that landed there I had my eyes on. Murphy beat them twice (I believe) but it was a ball game.

Reactions: 97Cougar
My picks for winning the four sectionals are:
Murphy, Bishop, Draughn and M Heritage.
The second sectional is tough. Robbinsville and Rosman won’t go down easily.

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
My picks for winning the four sectionals are:
Murphy, Bishop, Draughn and M Heritage.
The second sectional is tough. Robbinsville and Rosman won’t go down easily.
I like Cherokee out of that last section. Bishop is playing tough this year but your dealing with a very experienced north Rowan team as well. Albemarle is really young but really talented.

Going with
Albemarle
Bishop
Draughn
Cherokee (MH is young as well but they matchup well with Cherokee but I think Cherokee guards are tough that’s where I think the difference will be)

I like Cherokee out of that last section. Bishop is playing tough this year but your dealing with a very experienced north Rowan team as well. Albemarle is really young but really talented.

Going with
Albemarle
Bishop
Draughn
Cherokee (MH is young as well but they matchup well with Cherokee but I think Cherokee guards are tough that’s where I think the difference will be)
Got to appreciate you supporting your school, but unless half of Albemarle’s team was out when they lost to North Rowan by 35, I don’t see them getting out of a group with Murphy, Mitchell, and Mount Airy.

Going with
Albemarle
Bishop
Draughn
Could be, heritage guards not to bad themselves. And like we both said they are young. Think it could be a fun matchup.

Got to appreciate you supporting your school, but unless half of Albemarle’s team was out when they lost to North Rowan by 35, I don’t see them getting out of a group with Murphy, Mitchell, and Mount Airy.
Actually they were missing a couple of keys. Only played 6 games this year with everybody and they are super young 6 fresh 6 soph

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
I will take Murphy in #1 over Mt Airy, too much experience. Dogs coast till 4th round.
Bishop over Robbinsville in #2, the travel will get to Robbinsville.
Draughn in #3
Mt. Heritage over Highlands in #4. Highlands is a dark horse. They are fundamentally sound and well coached. The winner of Cherokee/Heritage does not need to look past them. I think MH size will be too much.

I will take Murphy in #1 over Mt Airy, too much experience. Dogs coast till 4th round.
Draughn in #3
Mt. Heritage over Highlands in #4. Highlands is a dark horse. They are fundamentally sound and well coached. The winner of Cherokee/Heritage does not need to look past them. I think MH size will be too much.
I’m going to put this out here north rowan and bishop have one common opponent being community school of davidson.

north won 68-30
Bishop won 60-51

now we don’t know players available due to injuries quarantine etc.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Draughn in #3
Highlands has had a lot of close games with a lot of really good teams (Murphy, Cherokee, Rosman, Rabun Co.). And they had a good run with a lot of the same girls two years ago. Anybody writing them off because of their school size and conference should think again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 97Cougar
Last year they had a couple of players who were really young. So yes they are better from that standpoint and the returnees worked really hard. Not quite the same group. Additionally, they are more battle tested this year. I don’t know if I would consider them an under dog in any game this postseason to be honest.

They have two players that are now soph who are decent and a senior. They are athletic, but erratic at times. I don’t see them making much noise. The mountain teams are much stronger than the Piedmont area 1a teams this year.

Is North Rowan much improved from last year?
Additionally the only team that has really gotten them is Salisbury. And Salisbury is 10 legit deep. The second 5 is almost as good as their starting 5. North Rowan held that game close until the second half.

North has 8 losses.
Carson 3 losses
Salisbury 3 losses
North Meck
West Rowan

Last edited:
I haven’t seen Rosman this year, but they will be very scrappy. I’ve seen Bishop boys play but not girls. So I can’t say for sure that they could. Just seeing how Murphy dominated North last year was the reason for my question.

I haven’t seen Rosman this year, but they will be very scrappy. I’ve seen Bishop boys play but not girls. So I can’t say for sure that they could. Just seeing how Murphy dominated North last year was the reason for my question.
I realize wrong thread, but since we're on the topic and you said you've seen them...how do you see Bishop-Murphy boys playing out? I know Bishop beat Franklin but it doesn't look like Griffin Green played for Franklin that game and a 6-5 kid averaging 20+ makes a big difference.

Could be an interesting game. Murphy will have to play well. They have a little size to battle with Bishop, but will have to shoot it well from 3 to win. I don’t know if Bishop was having a good day or bad day against Franklin, but the little guard from Bishop had a great game and the big lefty struggled early and got it going late. I think Franklin wins by 10 if Green plays if that helps. My pick would be Bishop 65-Dogs 50.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
For what it's worth, Ashe County beat Bishop in overtime then lost to Mitchell in overtime about a week later. I know comparing scores doesn't always work, but it's really hard to get a read on Bishop because their conference is so bad. So few games on their schedule actually tell you something. They did also beat up on the NWC's third place team (Starmount) pretty good, but NWC seems a little down this year.

Ashe county has a pretty good team. They played a brutal schedule. All the teams in their conference made the playoffs.

I believe the competitive games in the Smoky Mtn and western Highlands conferences will benefit those teams in the playoffs.
Many of the other conferences are weak and haven’t been challenged in conf play.

So you wouldn’t consider them an underdog against Murphy?
I wouldn’t nothing against Murphy because they have one heck of a team but this isn’t the same team they played last year. Last year they relied solely on Hannah. That’s not the case this year she is not even their leading scorer. The big issue with north Rowan is depth. Murphy still has the 6’ girl (can’t remember her name) who is phenomenal, but I don’t think it would be the same game as we seen last year. I think we could all expect a pretty good game between the two.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT