ADVERTISEMENT

1A Brackets

GrizzlyDevil

Nov 22, 2011
I do brackets each week on the 2A forum based off the MaxPreps Rankings and NCHSAA RPI that comes out each week...fun side hobby I do to kill time and look at how the playoffs shape and change week in and week out.

Someone asked me to do it for the 1A Forum...so here I am. Here is the bracket I was able to get done this morning for 1A - Using seeding rules from NCHSAA/Rankings from MaxPreps dictate Conf Champions/RPI sorts them out in seeding order. I have no idea how it's decided who gets a BYE and who doesn't...I am assuming no BYE for anyone in the playoffs. You can always drop off teams from the bracket to put in BYEs...starting with #32 and going down. Hope you fellas enjoy:

WESTEAST
1 - Eastern Randolph1 - North Moore
32 - North Stokes32 - Rocky Mount Prep
16 - South Davidson16 - Wilson Prep
17 - Union Academy17 - NW Halifax
9 - Mountain Island9 - Southside
24 - Bishop McGuinness24 - Pamlico County
8 - East Wilkes8 - Riverside-Martin
25 - Albemarle25 - Weldon
--------------------
4 - Christ the King4 - Northampton Co
29 - Highland Tech29 - Columbia
13 - Thomasville13 - Gates County
20 - Alleghany20 - Lakewood
12 - Murphy12 - Hobbton
21 - Draughn21 - South Creek
5 - Mitchell5 - Bear Grass
28 - Thomas Jefferson28 - Perquimans
--------------------
--------------------
2 - Mount Airy2 - Tarboro
31 - Avery County31 - Lejeune
15 - South Stokes15 - Washington County
18 - Bessemer City18 - North Edgecombe
10 - Robbinsville10 - SE Halifax
23 - Carver23 - KIPP
7 - Hayesville7 - Pender
26 - Cherokee26 - East Columbus
--------------------
3 - Andrews3 - Northside-Pinetown
30 - South Stanly30 - Jones
14 - Swain County14 - Warren County
19 - Cherryville19 - North Duplin
11 - Starmount11 - West Columbus
22 - Mountain Heritage22 - Bertie
6 - North Rowan6 - Rosewood
27 - Winston Salem Prep27 - Union

Robbinsville at Hayesville week two.

What a joke the DPI is. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Hayesville will be a higher seed than Robbinsville after Robbinsville beats Hayesville by 3 tds? Hayesville also has played a very soft schedule compared to Robbinsville. Obviously DPI isn't working out with the SOS.

I rest my case folks.

Reactions: Mhsneer
Like it or not, ends up like this or not, it’s kinda cool seeing Hwy 22 neighbors at 1 seeds…👍

Last edited:
Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
Tarboro would be the 7 seed right now wouldn’t they? Riverside is undefeated and currently rated higher than Tarboro in the RPI
Tarboro is ranked #7 in 1A, Riverside #8, according to Maxpreps. I use that to dictate that Tarboro will be conference champion.

Tarboro is seeded as a CC. Riverside is seeded with everyone else.

Reactions: Maiden Creek

Hayesville will be a higher seed than Robbinsville after Robbinsville beats Hayesville by 3 tds? Hayesville also has played a very soft schedule compared to Robbinsville. Obviously DPI isn't working out with the SOS.

I rest my case folks.
This is based off of current RPI...which changes weekly...it'll be different next week too. Don't know why you're getting worked up my guy. You have no "case" to rest at this point in the season

And my statement as always "all conference champs are not equal". The one line guarantee is a joke. I saw a conference champ last year (top 5 overall in playoff bracket) loss by 25 plus in BB to the 7th place team in neighbor 1A league. The 7th place team clearly better and would have won that league. "1 One line guarantee in 1A can screw some brackets up!!!!!!

Last edited:
This is based off of current RPI...which changes weekly...it'll be different next week too. Don't know why you're getting worked up my guy. You have no "case" to rest at this point in the season
Hayesville has played a soft schedule and has one defeat. Robbinsville has played a much harder schedule. If DPI was worth a crap it wouldn't have hayesville above Robbinsville at THIS point.

Hayesville has played a soft schedule and has one defeat. Robbinsville has played a much harder schedule. If DPI was worth a crap it wouldn't have hayesville above Robbinsville at THIS point.

BK, serious question. Is DPI a typo, and you mean RPI or do you actually mean to type DPI? Curios if you are changing out the R for D because you think it is dumb?

Reactions: GrizzlyDevil
BK, serious question. Is DPI a typo, and you mean RPI or do you actually mean to type DPI? Curios if you are changing out the R for D because you think it is dumb?
And I'm curious by what metric is RPI dumb? I know not all CC are better than some other Auto 2 or WC teams...conferences have different strengths...but there has to be an award for winning your conference...no matter how weak...you can't take that away from the kids.

So last year in 1A West:

1st round = 16 out of 16 higher seeds advanced = 100%
2nd round = 6 out of 8 higher seeds advanced = 75%
3rd round = 3 out of 4 higher seeds advanced = 75%
4th round = 1 of the 2 higher seeds advanced = 50%
Western Final = The higher seed advanced = 100%
State Championship = Higher seed from the East won

Of the Western seeds...the final 4 were: #2 seed, #3 seed, #4 seed, #9 seed. Seeding was 75% correct.

That's pretty daggum good. Murphy was the outlier (#9 seed) but played in a tough conference and was a top tier 2 Auto - which any thinking man would deem completely acceptable that they would make a run in the playoffs. Yes, less likely they would knock off the #1 seed, but not out of the norm.

Last year in 2A West:
All the higher seeds made it to the Final Four. #1, #2, #3, and #4.
Western Finals was #2 @ #1
#1 seed went to State and beat #10 out of East.

13 of 16 round 1 higher seeds
8 of 8 round 2 higher seeds
4 of 4 round 3
2 of 2 round 4...

you get the idea.

Yes, RPI is not perfect...but it's close. I believe strength of schedule needs to be implemented somehow...but I don't have that answer or how to implement it...

Last year in 2A West:
All the higher seeds made it to the Final Four. #1, #2, #3, and #4.
Western Finals was #2 @ #1
#1 seed went to State and beat #10 out of East.

13 of 16 round 1 higher seeds
8 of 8 round 2 higher seeds
4 of 4 round 3
2 of 2 round 4...

you get the idea.

Yes, RPI is not perfect...but it's close. I believe strength of schedule needs to be implemented somehow...but I don't have that answer or how to implement it...
See to me strength of schedule is an arbitrary thing. Who knows which conference, no matter the classification, is stronger until playoffs bear out such? I equate it to last year in NCAA basketball where every pundit said the ACC was really down and Big Ten was the toughest in the nation. Well at the end of that made for tv event which conference actually performed better with fewer bids?
Now in the case of 1A teams playing “up” in classification perhaps there should be some formula that gives them credit for doing so. However would you therefore penalize teams that are 4A/3A/2A for playing “down”.

Like Grizzly said I’m not sure how this can feasibly be done.

Yes but the seed has more to do with your conference finish. The RPI had Robbinsville 10th or something stupid like that. Because we won conference we was put in with the 1s.
If we finish 2nd in the conference we will be seeded behind teams we beat that also had weaker schedules. RPI is all about OWP which ISNT SOS.

Yes but the seed has more to do with your conference finish. The RPI had Robbinsville 10th or something stupid like that. Because we won conference we was put in with the 1s.
If we finish 2nd in the conference we will be seeded behind teams we beat that also had weaker schedules. RPI is all about OWP which ISNT SOS.
You might want to research the NCHSAA leap frog rule.

Reactions: BK13T-$
BK serious question, what formula would YOU use for SOS? Not arguing with you at all.

Probably won’t happen…
But if it did would shut down that 10 mile stretch of Hwy 22 south…
Coleridge and Bennett Dollar Generals would be swelling at the seams 😂😂😂
I wouldn't rule out the possibility of North Moore getting the number one seed. Cummings will be a tough game though. That would be something to have a Eastern finals and a western finals very close by

Reactions: thekidd12
Any of the other three major ones (maxpreps, Simmons, Massey)that are all close to each other. The RPI is way different.
It's all bout wins which is different than SOS.

Say Robbinsville played MIC. Even though MIC is weak they could win a lot of games because they also play weak competition. Those teams likely also play weak competition. So it will make Robbinsville OWP and oowp high.
Just look at Hayesville OWP and oowp.

Correct. OWP is how successful they were, not how strong they were. Which is why I think SOS should be incorporated somehow to show that, yeah your RPI is 0.023 worse but you clearly played stronger competition and it gives you a boost. Don't know how though

Correct. OWP is how successful they were, not how strong they were. Which is why I think SOS should be incorporated somehow to show that, yeah your RPI is 0.023 worse but you clearly played stronger competition and it gives you a boost. Don't know how though
And how do you determine this SOS? Somebody will be unhappy with that as well. In the examples BK gave, all of their SOS formulas are proprietary and the general public has no idea how they come up with them. I understand no formula will make everyone happy but if we knew the nuts and bolts behind it perhaps we could understand it.

That's supposed to be where the oowp comes in to show if you're opponents are playing weak teams but nothing is perfect not even MaxPreps and the others when they went by MaxPreps there were others who complained about them.
I showed what the SOS would be using the NCAA formula using the owp & oowp on for the NC prep top 10 and most where very close to both Simmons and MaxPreps some exact a couple pretty far off mainly Thomasville. But obviously in the rankings they're using something else besides sos but like said it's a mystery.
And as far as Robinnsville last year yeah they would have been lower ranked if they had lost the SMC but their issue on the RPI was not the owp or oowp ( which the oowp help them) but them being 6-3 and if they had lost the SMC they would have been 5-4 and should have been seeded lower.
Yes teams beat teams ranked higher no one has ever seen that in a tournament before I don't guess but there has to be some kinda guidelines and yes no matter who or what someone it going to get 🔩

I rest my case folks.
Hayesville beat Cherokee last year….when others failed.

Andrew’s didn’t beat them.
Robbinsville didn’t beat them in conference play either.

Murphy did…..barely!

But ole Hayesville did! It!

Ain’t sure….I’m ready to concede that Hayesville will lose to Robbinsville just yet.

That RPI might be spot on!…let’s give it a few more weeks….it’s the SMC…..so you never know. 😉

Cherokee would have had 1 seed if they wouldnt have lost to hayesville. My have they fallen.

Val Kilmer Film GIF

Those rpi could go up a lot in next 5 weeks or down. All depends on your winning and the opponents success or failure. In the end you still have to play each week and win. There will only be one team left standing
Mitchell's owp will keep going down no matter what which of course @ 40% of the RPI will affect their over all RPI depends on the oowp. But their owp went from .8125 after the Andrews game to .7000 after the Madison game and win or lose since Owen is 0-4 it go down to .5833.

Recycled

It will be as wrong then as now. It goes by who you play weekly. Do you really think Hayesville has played a tougher schedule than Robbinsville?
Both have one L.

Recycled

It will be as wrong then as now. It goes by who you play weekly. Do you really think Hayesville has played a tougher schedule than Robbinsville?
Both have one L.
Not looking at any math formula from whatever source you like as far as SOS but just my opinion yeah I think Robbinsville schedule is stronger than Hayesville.
But that said I'm not overly impressed with Robbinsville's , you've got Asheville to date Robbinsville is the best team they've beaten I'll be curious to see how they match up with Erwin. I think they'll win but by how much? Brevard doesn't seem all that good they barely beat 1-4 Pisgah . 0-4 Mtn Heritage is obviously way down this year. Jury is still out on Smoky Mtn they barely beat Pisgah and lost to a TC Roberson team that got beat 43-13 by Watauga who Mitchell about beat without their QB.

Not looking at any math formula from whatever source you like as far as SOS but just my opinion yeah I think Robbinsville schedule is stronger than Hayesville.
But that said I'm not overly impressed with Robbinsville's , you've got Asheville to date Robbinsville is the best team they've beaten I'll be curious to see how they match up with Erwin. I think they'll win but by how much? Brevard doesn't seem all that good they barely beat 1-4 Pisgah . 0-4 Mtn Heritage is obviously way down this year. Jury is still out on Smoky Mtn they barely beat Pisgah and lost to a TC Roberson team that got beat 43-13 by Watauga who Mitchell about beat without their QB.
If Robbinsville can stay healthy, they are as dangerous as anyone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT