ADVERTISEMENT

1A~2A Western Tournament Champions ( Boys & Girls)

No they brought a crowd from Prep tonight. Packed house at North tonight. Great atmosphere. North has nothing to hang their head about tonight. They played like champions. Would love to see the old Northwest conference when North Stokes, East Surry and Mount Airy would battle it out for the championship. With Prep and Bishop now almost best you can play for is third place and it is the NCHSAA fault for allowing this in 1a basketball.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
If I stop posting scores it will be because the NCHSAA have lost their minds and favor open enrollment, private and charter schools over public schools. It is a farce and no schools likes the favoritism they are giving these advantaged schools ! ! ! I must Say It is only the NCHSAA falt and not the advantaged school's falt ! ! ! AS I said Bishop has asked to be put up to 2A and was declined. But no excuse for Forsyth Co, open enrollment schools with a draw of 365,000 population ! ! ! They love our gate they get knowing they don't get good gates. They are ripping the NWC off, plain and simple. Huge County taking from counties way less than 1/3 their size. PLEASE CORRECT ME IF YOU THINK I AM WRONG, BUT ONLY If YOU ARE A LONG TIME PUBLIC SCHOOL. I Know you advantaged schools want to keep your advantage and will speak up to keep your advantage.

Last edited:
I think there should be a multiplier for charter and open enrollment based on the population of the area they can draw from, and tell private schools to go to the ncisaa.
Sorry if anyone thinks I speak out of line but when things are not fair someone has to speak up and say their peace! Public schools are being screwed by Forsyth Co., Magnet and private schools! You can take it or ignore it but it will get worse if we let it . I am mostly talking about Forsyth Co taking over Surry Co,s schools like North Forsyth no taking over 2a Surry Co as Surry Co. next year after taking over 1/3 of the 1A NWC.They have no draw and they want to bring no one to Surry Co. but want and know Surry Co. has a following that will come to their home games and send only a fraction to Surry Co. ..... That is BS ! ! ! Forsyth Co is a County that has no following in 1A........ The NWC should refuse to play the Forsyth Co. Schools. They can call all the games a forfeit but if they do in football it will do them no good. Think about it. They will lose in the 1st round. Make a place for them or put them in a different division......Surry Co. around 78,000 Stokes Co. around 58,000 and Forsyth Co. 365,000. Do the math, do they belong in our 1A. 4ell no.......

Sorry if anyone thinks I speak out of line but when things are not fair someone has to speak up and say their peace! Public schools are being screwed by Forsyth Co., Magnet and private schools! You can take it or ignore it but it will get worse if we let it . I am mostly talking about Forsyth Co taking over Surry Co,s schools like North Forsyth no taking over 2a Surry Co as Surry Co. next year after taking over 1/3 of the 1A NWC.They have no draw and they want to bring no one to Surry Co. but want and know Surry Co. has a following that will come to their home games and send only a fraction to Surry Co. ..... That is BS ! ! ! Forsyth Co is a County that has no following in 1A........ The NWC should refuse to play the Forsyth Co. Schools. They can call all the games a forfeit but if they do in football it will do them no good. Think about it. They will lose in the 1st round. Make a place for them or put them in a different division......Surry Co. around 78,000 Stokes Co. around 58,000 and Forsyth Co. 365,000. Do the math, do they belong in our 1A. 4ell no.......
They deserve a place, but not in the NWC 1A..... SMC or YVC do you want them? I am a logical person and it is not logical for them to be to be in the NWC or any 1A conference when they can draw from 365,000 people ! ! ! Forsyth Co. feeds off Surry co>

Last edited:
You are waisting your time on this subject TD. We have talked about it for several years and it ain't going to change. We suggested putting them in a conference that would include just Forsythe county schools but no go. It does make the rest of the conference have to play better just to try and compete

Do tha top dogs of nchsaa have an open door policy or do you just have to mail them stuff to communicate with them!!! If people with this thought and complaint would put a line around tha block close to every other day we could possibly see somethin done about it!!!

Many of the charter schools have asked to be reclassified to 2A/3A but their numbers wont allow for it. But I will say, for every good Charter you have, their are about 10 that are terrible and should only be allowed to play 1A teams. Reminder....WSP is not a Charter...it is part of the Forsyth County Public system as a Magnet school...Charter schools have a lottery that ALL have to adhere by or they will lose their charter...The lottery doesn't guarantee any kid they are getting in to the school...and most charter schools, even though they have open policy, only get local kids that are more interested in academics than sports. But it is like beating a dead horse. I understand why some of these small, proud communities hate charters and accuse cheating or "having advantages" ...in reality, I'm not sure what the best solution is for charters. I would like to see them classified as 2A or 3A but again, there are only a handful that could even compete at that level at all. Grouping charters into their own league will bring on a lawsuit which is what the NCHSAA is avoiding...Again, I do think the 1A state playoffs will be really fun and competitive this year. I don't see any/many front runners like before. WSP, LCS, Starmount, CSD, North Rowan, Cherokee, North Stanly, Bishop, North Stokes, Pine Lake, Hayesville all could win it this year or all could lose early...should be fun...Good luck but beating a dead hors about charters, etc. brings a negative vibe...keep it positive and let the boys/girls compete and have fun....

Reactions: Veejay4
Many of the charter schools have asked to be reclassified to 2A/3A but their numbers wont allow for it. But I will say, for every good Charter you have, their are about 10 that are terrible and should only be allowed to play 1A teams. Reminder....WSP is not a Charter...it is part of the Forsyth County Public system as a Magnet school...Charter schools have a lottery that ALL have to adhere by or they will lose their charter...The lottery doesn't guarantee any kid they are getting in to the school...and most charter schools, even though they have open policy, only get local kids that are more interested in academics than sports. But it is like beating a dead horse. I understand why some of these small, proud communities hate charters and accuse cheating or "having advantages" ...in reality, I'm not sure what the best solution is for charters. I would like to see them classified as 2A or 3A but again, there are only a handful that could even compete at that level at all. Grouping charters into their own league will bring on a lawsuit which is what the NCHSAA is avoiding...Again, I do think the 1A state playoffs will be really fun and competitive this year. I don't see any/many front runners like before. WSP, LCS, Starmount, CSD, North Rowan, Cherokee, North Stanly, Bishop, North Stokes, Pine Lake, Hayesville all could win it this year or all could lose early...should be fun...Good luck but beating a dead hors about charters, etc. brings a negative vibe...keep it positive and let the boys/girls compete and have fun....

A multiplier system for charters would solve many issues.

No they brought a crowd from Prep tonight. Packed house at North tonight. Great atmosphere. North has nothing to hang their head about tonight. They played like champions. Would love to see the old Northwest conference when North Stokes, East Surry and Mount Airy would battle it out for the championship. With Prep and Bishop now almost best you can play for is third place and it is the NCHSAA fault for allowing this in 1a basketball.

You should take Bishop out of "With Prep and Bishop now almost best you can play for is third place". In the last nine years (starting with last year) Bishop, in the NW1A conference, has finished 4th (4-6), tied 3rd (6-6), 4th (5-7), 4th (6-6), 3rd (8-4), 4th (8-8), 7th (3-8) and 6th (4-11). Even the year when Aaron Toomey was a senior (2009-2010) they only went 8-7 in conference. Perception often is not close to reality.....

Last edited:
The lack of respect for the East Surry girls team is ridiculous and they are gonna prove it tonight when them teddy bears get run out of their own gym

Worst game East girls have played all year wont be close at home like I said they deserve more respect than 4th with a top 50 girls player in the country

Worst game East girls have played all year wont be close at home like I said they deserve more respect than 4th with a top 50 girls player in the country

She is a really good player not sure about top 50 in the country. And ES is a strong team, they have a bunch of good pieces around her as well.

Sorry, I'm getting scores backward & can't find scores ! I'm just not good at this .........
I had East Surry girls winning @ the half that was wrong, but they won in the end and Starmount score final backward and had to go back and change both. Too many other things on my mind, I guess. Congrats to the winners of tonight's games anyway !

Last edited:
East Surry & Mount Airy girls game was a great defensive battle. Don’t be surprised to see both of these teams in the Western Finals.
Even with the strong defensive efforts, Elie Sutphin (ES) and Shaunae Sawyers (MA) put on a show. Can’t wait to see Rd2 in a few weeks.

Did prep play the transfer tonight that was eligible to play at the end of the first semester? Supposed to be a division 1 prospect.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT