ADVERTISEMENT

Volleyball 19 days out who do you have for girls basketball?

Think prep is unquestioned fav

The Smc will be toss up .. Cherokee lost a ton .. But the lady Braves have been dominate for the last 5 years so I don't count them out ... Very good young players coming up .. Robbinsville should be the fav as they return the most. Not real sure about anyone else out this way.

Hiwasse will be very tough im sure
Also the bishop conf always has 3 or 4 teams that are very good

Yeah I don't think Prep lost much. I think at this point BM and WSP is assumed lol. Albemarle lost a lot as well but they play atough schedule so that's a wait and see.

Cherokee I would assume with what they return will still be a good team

HD I think lost it's 5 starters right?

CSD I believe lost their best player so I don't see them being where they were unless they gained some players.

West Mont lost a lot but still return a very very good player.

Hayesville?

Mount Airy I believe were young last year after losing 5 seniors they year before so I would expect them to be a dangerous team come playoff time.

Yeah I don't think Prep lost much. I think at this point BM and WSP is assumed lol. Albemarle lost a lot as well but they play atough schedule so that's a wait and see.

Cherokee I would assume with what they return will still be a good team

HD I think lost it's 5 starters right?

CSD I believe lost their best player so I don't see them being where they were unless they gained some players.

West Mont lost a lot but still return a very very good player.

Hayesville?

Mount Airy I believe were young last year after losing 5 seniors they year before so I would expect them to be a dangerous team come playoff time.

Hiwassee Dam did not lose all five starters...they lost a big senior class but still return the conference player of the year and two other all-conference players.

In the BSMC, Robbinsville lost their big girl, but returns pretty much the rest of the team, and I would say they are the favorite. Cherokee and Hayesville each lost a lot--Hayesville lost two D1 signees and most of their role players, Cherokee lost two D2 signees, one of whom was the PG that was really their engine. But Cherokee has been to regionals 5 years in a row and had some good freshmen and sophomores in supporting roles last year, so I wouldn't count them out. Hayesville might be down some this year.

Overall, though, Prep cruised to the title without a senior on the roster last year, so they have to be the heavy favorite at this point.

I was impressed with HD team last year. My apologies I thought they had 5 seniors starting last year and had lost a lot.

Cherokee had 2 D2 signees? I know the PG was very good who else?

Hayesville I think will be down. The loss of their center will hurt did they lose the shooter as well?

Prep would surprise me if they lost a game this season. They will be strong plus you know they probably had 1 or 2 new girls come in.

What's BM have this year? You have to factor them in.

Cherokee had 2 D2 signees? I know the PG was very good who else?

Hayesville I think will be down. The loss of their center will hurt did they lose the shooter as well?

Prep would surprise me if they lost a game this season. They will be strong plus you know they probably had 1 or 2 new girls come in.

From Cherokee, the PG is at Lenoir-Rhyne, and one of the starting wings is at Converse.

Hayesville's PF is at Mercer, and the shooter is at Liberty.

Yea I knew the center was going to Mercer and the shooter was commited or I thought verbally committed to Liberty but for some reason thought the shooter was a junior and would be a senior this year. Congrats to both of them. That's great!!!!!

Atkins is another team that I haven't seen mentioned that should be in the mix. 17-5 last year, the only 1A team to beat Prep, and only had 2 seniors on the roster.

Mount Airy also returns a ton and should be tough. NWC will be brutal

Oh yeah I forgot about Atkins. They were talented but I absolutely agree they wi be tough. MA should be strong again I am sure coach Mayo is working them hard.

From Cherokee, the PG is at Lenoir-Rhyne, and one of the starting wings is at Converse.

Hayesville's PF is at Mercer, and the shooter is at Liberty.

Prep is #1, the rest should be interesting, Bishop, Atkins and Mt Airy from the NW 1A. Little Smoky is Hiwassee Dam and that's it. Big Smoky will be Robbinsville/Cherokee and everyone else playing catch up. HD and Cherokee will both need to replace point guards that did a lot for them.I think maybe Grey Stone, Lincoln Charter or Community School of Davidson will make the top 10 in the west and post a good record but then make an early exit in the playoffs. Pretty much same old, same old.

I disagree with CSD or lincoln charter. CSD lost their best player from last season. If you are going with them you have to put Albemarle up there's who returns 10. With Albemarles schedule I think they will be tested early and often.

I don't think he was saying CSD or Lincoln charter will be top teams...he was saying they will both rack up a bunch of wins because the SPC is weak on the girls side, then get bounced from the playoffs early.

Oh ok gotcha I am just looking at top teams. Lol. I am interested to see what HD does. I didn't realize they ha so much returning. I thought that coach did a great job with that team.

Bishop will be good but not as in past years. Their best player hurt ACL in summer and will not be back immediately. WSPrep actually caught a break in the playoffs when Bishop upset Atkins as Atkins was the only team that could match the physical play of Prep. NWC will be brutal as usual but very entertaining. Hope that East Surry can get back on track as all the Surry County schools have been so strong the last decade because of their good AAU programs and excellent girls coaches.

cherokee lost a lot ... But the young players and the style of play suits their talent .. Heard they looked really good this summer .. Maybe they will make another run.. Hiwasse returns a great player ... Robbinsville has two really good players and I heard swain got a big time transfer ... So should be interesting out in the west

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
Down this way Gray Stone returns everybody except 1 also I would be surprised if they didn't get another good player or two in. South Davidson will be interesting, I think they could win their conference. Albemarle lost a lot due to graduation and one went to North Meck but could still be interesting. West Mont lost their senior class and coach but still have a very good player.

Oh yeah and cherokee had 1 other girl go to johnson and Wales ... So 3 college kids is a lot to lose .. But have faith in the coach and girls to be strong again

Andrews has all starters back, mostly juniors who have all started since their Freshmen year. We have also picked up 2 quality players who will give us depth. Still might be a year away but should make some noise since they have gotten a lot of experience and matured

I really hope to see Andrews do well. Basketball is the sport where a small school like Andrews has the best shot of being competitive with bigger schools, and I remember them having some very good boys teams through the years.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
I really hope to see Andrews do well. Basketball is the sport where a small school like Andrews has the best shot of being competitive with bigger schools, and I remember them having some very good boys teams through the years.
Back in the seventies and eighties our boys were tough. I know we won about 4 SMC tournaments in the late 70's into the 80's. If you remember Cissy Bristol that played, her team went 32 & 0 and won the 1 A title. Coach Solesbee had some good years and will probably hang it up after this group of ladies graduate next year

Last edited:
Reactions: ObserveAndReport
The NWC will be an absolute meat grinder...maybe the toughest its ever been...which is saying something.

Prep lost absolutely zero from last year and, in fact, probably have added a few (not sure on that though). They would seriously contend at the 3A level. Barring injuries, they'll breeze to a 2nd straight title. Their only weakness is their depth. They had little of it last year, but got lucky with out major injuries. Their PG, Claytor, committed to East Carolina this summer and their backup PG, Craig, is headed to ETSU.

Atkins should be improved also and may be the only real threat to Prep. They need someone who can shoot the ball from outside 3 feet though as Bishop really exposed them in the playoffs last year. They added Walkertown's top player as a transfer to help with that and add to an already very big/talented roster. Their top player, Hampton, is headed to App State after the season.

Bishop will start slow because of injuries to their Ivy-committed center and a brutal schedule, but they do have a good transfer from New Garden who will help fill the void in the middle in the interim and provide some much needed depth up front. They also have two freshman this year who will contribute, one of whom could be a star from the get go. They've also got two talented returners on the wings, so this is a team with a lot of pieces to work with. If they gel, they could be real interesting.

MA was young last year and is your prototypical Coach Mayo team, undersized but very, very fast. They'll cause problems for a lot of folks with their shooting.

Pray for East Surry, North Stokes and Walkertown.

Last edited:
Northwest Conference will go 1. WSP 2. Atkins 3. Mt. Airy 4/5. Bishop McGuinness/East Surry. Girl you mentioned from New Garden Friends for McGuiness is nice kid but not likely good enough to start for for any of the top 3 NWC teams or maybe even McGuinness. McGuinness will be small and no true point guard.

Bishop with a transfer wow! I thought all there girls came from one of there 17 catholic feeder schools. Open enrollment must be nice.

Still butt hurt.....you can go on YouTube and watch that half court shot anytime....happy to send you a picture of their championship ring(s)if you like (but only 7 of the 9 in the house)...lol

Last edited:
Northwest Conference will go 1. WSP 2. Atkins 3. Mt. Airy 4/5. Bishop McGuinness/East Surry. Girl you mentioned from New Garden Friends for McGuiness is nice kid but not likely good enough to start for for any of the top 3 NWC teams or maybe even McGuinness. McGuinness will be small and no true point guard.

Is it basketball season yet? Lol

Here are my predictions for some
Conferences.

NW
1) WSP - I don't think anybody could disagree with this. Atkins could make it interesting but I think WSP will be to much
2) Atkins
3) Bishop - coach does a great job with that program and I think he will be ready. Would not surprise me to see him have them at 2
4) Mt. Airy - coach Mayo will have them playing well could easily finish at the 3.

UAC
1) Albemarle - I'm not biased ;)
2) Gray Stone - returns all but 1 varsity player. IMO I believe they will be as strong or alittle better this season.
3) North Stanly - Coach Speight will have them competitive
4) South Stanly - new coach who I respect a lot I think he will do a good job.

East side ( ? Forgot the name watching MNF)
1) South Davidson - With WM losing as much as they did I think SD can over come them.
2) WM - they still have a pretty good player that will have the ball in her hands a lot and they will still be pretty athletic.
3) EM - they had a lot of youth last year I think they will be ok.
4) CC - they have a new coach I believe so this could change but they always seem to be comp in conf.

HD - I really like the way their coach had them playing. Great kids, hard workers, and high character. I think they win their conference easily.

CSD/LC - the conference will come down to these teams I believe. I think CSD lost 1 player so they would have to be my favorite to win it.

1) Robbinsville - just from I heard I will give them the advantage simply because of what Cherokee and Hayesville lost.
2) Cherokee - I believe coach will have them ready to compete it would not surprise me for them or hayesville to win the conference.
3) Hayesville - I think they lost too much but will still be competitive.

Settle down CP16. She is not even really a basketball player, but I bet she came for a great education and will be taught the difference between "there" and "their." If you are complaining about open enrollment and transfers, you should have bigger fish to fry with other schools. McGuinness will have the same team minus graduation and an injury. They are not a threat to win anything.

LOL 3.... Where was she from again? High Point, Greensboro, ?

Question for Dosso? What bigger fish should we worry about now? Is there someone in your league now that is winning the "open enrollment" battle? I feel so sorry for you guys!

I guess whichever fish wash up in the trailer park from the Roanoke River.

At least all the fish that wash up will belong to us. We are not allowed to take fish from all over enc to play for us and try to win 1a titles.

cp..based on the track record for enc the fishing is nothing to write home about so wouldn't do you any good anyway...lol

Speaking of the eastern part of the state how do they look this year?

Also in regards to Bishop I don't think he recruits. He runs a pretty good program and kids want to be part of
It.

I do think charters magnets etc needs a multiplier of maybe 1.5 and that would be fair. As of right now it is what it is I for one am excited about basketball season. Not sure yet what Albemarle will do but with a great group of hard working kids anything is possible.

Anyway let's not focus in and get the back and forth going about the recruiting or advantages because until nchsaa does something this is the way it is. I think they should be a part of the NCHSAA but just add a multiplier and call it a day.

I did not use the "r" word bulldog. Yes i know that having a strong program will attract talent. My problem is that any school that has "no boundaries" should not be playing against a school who does. I've watched this in several sports over the last 9-10 years. How do small towns compete? I thought that was the idea of 1a, 2a, 3a, 4a. If a school that has kids from a 8 mile radius has to play a school with kids from all over a metro area, why have classifications?

I did not use the "r" word bulldog. Yes i know that having a strong program will attract talent. My problem is that any school that has "no boundaries" should not be playing against a school who does. I've watched this in several sports over the last 9-10 years. How do small towns compete? I thought that was the idea of 1a, 2a, 3a, 4a. If a school that has kids from a 8 mile radius has to play a school with kids from all over a metro area, why have classifications?

I agree with with you on that. That is where the advantages are. I wish they would put in a multiplier of 1.5 - 2 and call it a day. I believe that would be the fairest way to handle this issue. You don't want to punish these for winning but you also don't want to punish the small town boundary schools either.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Hate to say it but I believe this one's WS Prep's to lose. I think their strongest challenger will probably be Atkins. I can see a rematch with Riverside in March. I hope I'm wrong in all of this.

Heard GS added a 6'4 girl to the lineup. I haven't seen them yet but if in fact they did they will be the tallest team in the state lol. I think that would give them 3 or 4 girls over 6'.

Hiwassee Dam looking like they haven't had any drop off from last year. Already 5-0 with big-time wins over last year's NCISAA 3A runner-up Rabun Gap and 4-1 4A Gilmer (GA).

down east...rosewood 2-0 ..win tonight over north johnston 62-37...ladies are playing very good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT