ADVERTISEMENT

(14-0) East Duplin vs (13-1) North Davidson 2AA EASTERN CHAMPIONSHIP

As far as we go, Tarheel has already talked us up quite a bit so I can't say much. We're very balanced between run and pass, our RB can take it to the house at any time. At the same time we have 4 WRs who can catch and get yards afterward.

The defense is primarily set up to stop the run. Our front four gets a lot of penetration, leaving the backers to chase everything down which they do very well. Our pass defense is our weakness, if you call it a weakness. They haven't been burned big all year except a play or two here and there.

Not the same as defending the triple option, but we will have to play disciplined ball yet again this week against a very good Wing T with lots of talent to back it up.

Last edited:
As far as we go, Tarheel has already talked us up quite a bit so I can't say much. We're very balanced between run and pass, our RB can take it to the house at any time. At the same time we have 4 WRs who can catch and get yards afterward.

The defense is primarily set up to stop the run. Our front four gets a lot of penetration, leaving the backers to chase everything down which they do very well. Our pass defense is our weakness, if you call it a weakness. They haven't been burned big all year except a play or two here and there.

Not the same as defending the triple option, but we will have to play disciplined ball yet again this weak against a very good Wing T with lots of talent to back it up.
should be a great game! we just have to pass it enough to keep your defense honest!

what are ND's biggest strengths?

The ND QB had the best game I've seen all year. He looked like a totally different QB from the Ledford game. They seemed like they came out wanting to be more aggresive with the pass and he threw some nice balls. ND is alot more dangerous if the QB throws the ball like that next week. I think ED can probably somewhat contain Boyce but he will still get his yards. ND's overall strength on defense is their run defense, if you are going to beat them you better be able to pass. From what I've read it looks like ED is a run-heavy offense which likely plays into ND's strength. Should be a good game, I give ND the edge because their ability to pass/run and ED being a more run oriented offense.

ND 27
ED 21

That was for sure Josh’s best game throwing the ball. He was great and the reason we won the game. It seems however that we are a penalty ridden team and that isn’t going to change. That’s on the staff.

I thought the ED pass defense was actually better last night compared to the week before. A lot of it came from the pass rush which was just relentless all night long. Not sure, but I think ED might have had eight or nine sacks. I also thought the coverage was better. Maybe its from seeing spread teams the first three rounds which might help this week also. The run defense was again outstanding.

As usual Randleman stacked the box and ED still had success running the football. Each week teams bring the house and each week ED still churns out yards on the ground. It sure wasnt flashy but it was effective for the most part.

Randleman was a very good football team and played outstanding. The game was as every bit as good from a fans perspective as the ED-WRH and ED-Jville games.

Dont know anything other than what has been said here about ND but I am sure they are a very good football team based on their record and past performances. Only loss was to a fine Mt Tabor team at the beginning of the year and anyone who follows HS football in NC knows that year in and year out they are good also. They appear to be legit in all three phases of the game. I am sure it will be a great game in a great atmosphere.

Reactions: 96panther
Dang. I hope our kids don't read all the stuff tarheelg is writing about them or their heads won't fit in their helmets. You would have thought we blew S Granville out, but it was a dogfight to the 2 minute mark.

I will brag on TJ Boyce though. He goes hard on every run and seems to get stronger as the game goes on. He also lets his game do all the talking and I can't remember him ever trying to show anybody up. No matter what happens the next week or two, he has been a joy to watch the last two years. Why he is not getting any serious recruiting looks is beyond me.

The ND QB had the best game I've seen all year. He looked like a totally different QB from the Ledford game. They seemed like they came out wanting to be more aggresive with the pass and he threw some nice balls. ND is alot more dangerous if the QB throws the ball like that next week. I think ED can probably somewhat contain Boyce but he will still get his yards. ND's overall strength on defense is their run defense, if you are going to beat them you better be able to pass. From what I've read it looks like ED is a run-heavy offense which likely plays into ND's strength. Should be a good game, I give ND the edge because their ability to pass/run and ED being a more run oriented offense.

ND 27
ED 21
you are right. we are extremely run heavy on offense! but we are able to pass some when we have to like we did last night for one of our TD's. i dont doubt one bit that ND is a great team and i expect a great game, but ND's run defense will definitely be tested against us. our rushing attack is relentless. Randleman stacked the box most of the night and we still managed 307 yds of rushing, which was actually a little less than we usually get. Randleman obviously keyed on our main back Benson, and held him to 117 yds, but one of our other backs rushed for 161 yds. with ND having a very potent and balanced offense and a great defense, and us having a very lethal rushing attack and great defense as well, i expect this to be a heavyweight slugfest! im sure it will be a packed house!

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
It's totally not Fair. It's not fair that 2 great games(eastern finals), no less are only 27 miles apart at the same time. It would be nice to see both of these games .Wish one we're played Saturday., But thats not happening. Tough choice.

TJ Boyce Transfer has been so profitable for both North and Boyce. I would guess this season was everything he was hoping for when he came. That kid is awesome.

TJ Boyce Transfer has been so profitable for both North and Boyce. I would guess this season was everything he was hoping for when he came. That kid is awesome.
believe me, i for one know just how tall this task will be. we're going to have to play very well to have a chance to beat ND. we may be the slight favorite on paper because of our #1 seed and being undefeated, but i think this game is a toss up. i just hope we can finally win and make it to the title game. we have been knocking on the door a long time.

Funny thing is that if ND wins the state championship,they will be considered an East team,WELCOME is no more Eastern than the man in the moon
i dont care if theyre north south east or west lol. what scares me most about them is that i keep hearing about how theyre basically a 4A team in 2A. i hope theyre not as big as some of the 4A teams we've played in the past. we have a good sized team but not 4A big.

3A sized school with 4A experience. We would have been 3A according to the new 20-30-30-20 format but they sent us down because they do it based on four year projections, not one or two.

i dont care if theyre north south east or west lol. what scares me most about them is that i keep hearing about how theyre basically a 4A team in 2A. i hope theyre not as big as some of the 4A teams we've played in the past. we have a good sized team but not 4A big.
We are pretty large on the O line, D line is not huge, but nowhere near small, it is not the biggest team I have seen at North, but they aren't small by no means....looking at videos, I would say ED has plenty of size...

Reactions: my_2cents
This is just how it is for East Duplin. When we're special, we always run into something special. Willie Parker, Todd Gurley, Kendrick Burney, and finally... a 4A school masquerading as a 2A powerhouse.

This will be a tough test.

Last edited:
We are pretty large on the O line, D line is not huge, but nowhere near small, it is not the biggest team I have seen at North, but they aren't small by no means....looking at videos, I would say ED has plenty of size...
yeah, we do have good size for a 2A school. which we are actually borderline 3A ourselves just to be fair. i expect a low scoring slugfest Friday night.

This is football size is just that, we have size and we have experience I know pretty much every senior on the ED team “one of which more than anybody” they are hungry.... Friday night we’ll see who really wants it more. FYI these country boys down here in Duplin are far from scared they know what’s at stake and remember that feeling from last year all too well.

Is there anyway this game could be moved west a little, lol. I have to be up at 4am Sat., this trip is going to wear on Me! I am sure you ED fans would be willing to accomodate!;):D

Funny thing is that if ND wins the state championship,they will be considered an East team,WELCOME is no more Eastern than the man in the moon
I don't think this will change anytime soon in the 2A split. Many more 2AA schools in the west and more 2A teams in the east. I think Whiteville was in the 2A West.

Lol, and I would expect it to remain where it is at, y'all earned the #1 seed and deserve the home game!... I believe most of us ND fans are staring a 3+ hour trip in the face!
nah, just kidding with you bro! i know that trip sucks, but it can be exciting too!

Reactions: bkknights93
This is just how it is for East Duplin. When we're special, we always run into something special. Willie Parker, Todd Gurley, Kendrick Burney, and finally... a 4A school masquerading as a 2A powerhouse.

This will be a tough test.
As has been mention at least 50 times WE ARE 3A SIZE BUT WERE PLACED IN A 2A LEAGUE THAT WE REALLY DIDNT WANT TO BE IN. HECK EXCEPT FOR CATHOLIC NOT SURE THIS YEAR 2A ISN'T STRONGER THAN 3A.

Hoping the coaches trust the team and coach to WIN.... ED in a tight one to get over the hump!
i dont make score predictions but im optimistic you may be right! something tells me we're gonna find a way to get the win like we have all year! but im sure the ND fans feel the same way.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
As has been mention at least 50 times WE ARE 3A SIZE BUT WERE PLACED IN A 2A LEAGUE THAT WE REALLY DIDNT WANT TO BE IN. HECK EXCEPT FOR CATHOLIC NOT SURE THIS YEAR 2A ISN'T STRONGER THAN 3A.

aid119306-v4-728px-Disable-the-Capslock-Key-in-Windows-Step-15-Version-2.jpg

Is there anyway this game could be moved west a little, lol. I have to be up at 4am Sat., this trip is going to wear on Me! I am sure you ED fans would be willing to accomodate!;):D
A couple of times we played in the mountains a bus trip was an option. Has anyone heard of such for this trip??

This is going to be a good game to watch guys. Probably will be the best game in all of 2A (including both classes) Friday night.

The planning of a new school in Davidson County will have the Black Knights dropping from 4A down to 2A, a move that increase competition within the county; David Jeannot reports.

http://www.wxii12.com/article/north-davidson-high-school-moving-to-2a/1917376

My point. You were 4A. Now you're 2A.

^ Look at all the "emphasis" without caps lock.
We would have dropped to 3A even if there were no new school due to the shift of decreasing 1A and 4A. if Mr. Jeannot thinks this is competition then he doesn't understand what that word means. North and Ledford both have many starters back and will dominate again next year.

Hmm, a newsclip from two years ago that didn't know about the 20-30-30-20 format. Interesting. Were truly is the main word of emphasis. We have 1300 kids, making us a 3A school by any interpretation. Don't worry, we'll be down to small 3A/big 2A numbers soon enough.

If it makes them feel better to say they're playing a 4A school, so be it. We don't have time to feel sorry for people, we can only worry about our own kids. No one felt sorry for us when we were playing against schools with 300-600 more kids than we had, so this is the last I'm speaking on the subject. GO BLACK KNIGHTS!!!

Nobody is asking you to feel sorry for us. Promise you that.

Just make sure your boys buckle those 4A chin straps real tight. Those country boys hit hard.

South Iredell, and Monroe have both won state championships with high ADM's for there classification. It happens. I just hate the whining!
Football is supposed to be a tough mans sports!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT