ADVERTISEMENT

(14-0) East Duplin vs (13-1) North Davidson 2AA EASTERN CHAMPIONSHIP

Great balanced offense and great defense against great running offense and great defense. Sounds like a great game, don't see it being very high scoring but could be wrong...

Reactions: 96panther
should be a great game next week! overall i was really impressed with our defense tonight! decent pass defense, great run defense, and a relentless pass rush! it will take another great defensive effort against ND if we are to have a good chance to win!

I will say if ED is to get over the hump it is this year.
i disagree. with Coach Holley there our program is in great shape! we should have more chances in the future whether we win it this year or not! but of course we want to win it this year very badly, and at a bare minimum make it there!

This looks like a 14-7....13-10
Type game could be wrong......Wishing good luck to my friends at ED.....Northside-Jax ended their e Eastern Title woes last year and I think ED finally gets it done next Friday.......State Championship week is one of the best weeks ever as a fan and a player I hope yall get to experience it soon

Last edited:
Really hard to tell how these teams will match up because there is no similar opponents they've faced, so besides game tape, both teams will go in blind. Good. East Duplin, I'd like to start the week off by wishing you boys the very best of luck come this Friday. Your record says enough to me, I see you lot as an insanely fierce test for the Black Knights come Friday! May the best team win!

Reactions: 96panther
Half of four counties maybe five will be at the game Friday nite, Duplin, Onslow , Pender, Sampson and, Davidson. Should be a yuge crowd at East Duplin come Friday.

The three top teams in the east playing, ED, and WRH @ SWO . But only two can advance to the Ship. Hoping ED joins the club of Title contenders. Games will only be a few miles apart. I would think standing room only at both. Onslow, Duplin, and Sampson county have a long history or producing Championship teams, SWO, CLINTON, WRH, and JK.

This game is a hard one to call. My head says ND but my gut says East.

Both are good teams. Should be a fun one to watch.

Finally the east has a real contender(East Duplin), not the cupcakes from the last several years.

Congratulations ED on your win last night and advancing to the 4th round. I was at your game last night and watched you guys man handle a tough Randleman team. Good luck against N.Davidson hoping we can play back to back games at Chapel Hill.

I think ND fans could speak more about that...I just know them boys are good...both of these teams can run the football and stop the run,but the difference maker for me is that ND can also pass the football as well...and their kicker is awesome!!!...it wasn't too long ago that ND beat teams like Scotland Co and Dudley in 4a that says a lot...this atmosphere won't be too big for them,business as usual
what are ND's biggest strengths?

Last edited:
Congratulations ED on your win last night and advancing to the 4th round. I was at your game last night and watched you guys man handle a tough Randleman team. Good luck against N.Davidson hoping we can play back to back games at Chapel Hill.
thanks. good luck to ypur Dogs too. Randleman was a very tough team. we showed a lot of character in getting that win.

what are ND's biggest strengths?
The quarterback, the running back, the receivers, the offensive line, the kicker/punter, the defensive front, numbers....their defense tackles well and can be good against the run and the pass, offense can leave you scratching your head trying to figure out what to do to slow them down; only thing they didn't show much of against South Granville was not knowing whether or not their QB can beat you running the ball but they didn't need to; he can beat you with his feet though, as a passer with mobility, moving around if he gets flushed, but instead of looking to run or just unload it, he's still looking to complete a pass for some kind of positive gain; even when you get in the backfield to disrupt he knows exactly where his check downs are and will make crisp quick throws, 3-4 different good receivers that all have soft hands and all very athletic and hard to tackle 1 on 1; which is exactly what the spread offense is trying to do; also a lot of quick throws, some to the outside, some over the middle, they will line up quick, sometimes snap it quick, but other times survey the defense and change the play...and don't forget the RB who could also play WR, great speed when he sees a crease of daylight; also very slick and tough to tackle in space 1 on 1, they just try to get a hat on a hat, and again, isolate one guy and force him to make a tackle; if he misses the tackle or goes in the wrong gap, it's going to be a first down and a whole lot more, still not sure who I'm going to pick in this game if it shows up on the WRAL contest next week

i just checked the stats for ND on maxpreps. if correct they are well balanced. i honestly thought they would have a little higher average as far as passing yds go though. either way i know it will be a war Friday night. this ED team is the real deal, and im sure ND is too!

Reactions: blackbulldog
I think ND fans could speak more about that...I just know them boys are good...both of these teams can run the football and stop the run,but the difference maker for me is that ND can also pass the football as well...and their kicker is awesome!!!...it wasn't too long ago that ND beat teams like Scotland Co and Dudley in 4a that says a lot...this atmosphere won't be too big for them,business as usual
The ND kicker apparently set a state record for career touchbacks in the 3rd Rd game against South Granville, every kickoff sailed deep into the end zone, extra point would have been good from 45 or 50 or more, he did miss two FGs (38, 39 yd attempts), first one pushed way off to the side like some of my tee shots when I had time to play golf; though some folks were saying the second one could have been good; very close, almost "too high" in that it appeared to go over the top of the upright; I was watching from an angle and can't say for sure, but as a partisan from the visitor sideline, I just know we were relieved to see the zebras say no good

i just checked the stats for ND on maxpreps. if correct they are well balanced. i honestly thought they would have a little higher average as far as passing yds go though. either way i know it will be a war Friday night. this ED team is the real deal, and im sure ND is too!
Yes they are balanced, they ran it 23 plays and passed 27 in 3rd Rd game, and very effective at both, running that spread to perfection, and they can pass in running situations and run in passing situations, their first TD in 1st Qtr came on 4th & Goal from the 2, out of a Power I type formation, on a play action pass to the TE....right after 3rd & Goal from the 2 in their base pistol spread and handing it off to the slick RB

The ND kicker apparently set a state record for career touchbacks in the 3rd Rd game against South Granville, every kickoff sailed deep into the end zone, extra point would have been good from 45 or 50 or more, he did miss two FGs (38, 39 yd attempts), first one pushed way off to the side like some of my tee shots when I had time to play golf; though some folks were saying the second one could have been good; very close, almost "too high" in that it appeared to go over the top of the upright; I was watching from an angle and can't say for sure, but as a partisan from the visitor sideline, I just know we were relieved to see the zebras say no good
i hope it doesnt come down to ND having the chance to win by a field goal or we might be in trouble.

i hope it doesnt come down to ND having the chance to win by a field goal or we might be in trouble.
And oh, I heard about his punting on this board last week, and they were not lying....First drive, ND goes 3 and out, punting from their own 26...SG returner sets up around his own 40....the ball sails over his head by 10-15 yards, takes an ND bounce, on a bee line to the sideline, rolls out of bounds at SG 4 yard line, 70 yard punt, no return....and his other punt only went a measly 53 yards (#Sarcasm)

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Yes they are balanced, they ran it 23 plays and passed 27 in 3rd Rd game, and very effective at both, running that spread to perfection, and they can pass in running situations and run in passing situations, their first TD in 1st Qtr came on 4th & Goal from the 2, out of a Power I type formation, on a play action pass to the TE....right after 3rd & Goal from the 2 in their base pistol spread and handing it off to the slick RB
sounds like another big test for our defense, as it should be. we barely pass at all, but we can when we need to in order to keep the defense honest. matter of fact our second TD last night was on a 36 yd pass play. our only completed pass of the game. we average 387 yds rushing per game so that is obviously our bread and butter. we can be slowed down but rarely stopped on the ground. we had 307 yds rushing last night which was good but not as good as usual. Randleman was very fast and aggressive on defense, and looked to be stacking the box most of the night.

Reactions: EDPanther99
The first missed FG was a very high snap and timing messed up, happened a few times this year.

Haven't seen every north game this year but it was the best game I have seen QB play.

Know it'll be a war; my only taste of playoff football in Duplin Co. was before my time working at South Granville but when I was a junior in college and following my old high school Gates County...I made the two hour drive from Chapel Hill to Wallace-Rose Hill for 1AA Eastern finals in 2001, we had two backs with 2000+ rushing yards but to say passing was a struggle wouldn't do it justice; i think we had more interceptions than complete passes for the season...cruised through the first three rounds with nobody able to slow down the offense no matter what they did, WRH played Cover 0 with everybody in the box and shut down the offense on all but 1 play, WRH won the game 42-24 but one of our TDs came on a kickoff return early in 1st qtr to lead 8-7 with 2 pt conversion, then finally had a breakaway run on next score to get within either 21-16 or 28-16, then scored a garbage time TD +2 to get within 42-24 when it had been 42-16 with less than 2 minutes left....our two headed monster in the backfield got held to a combined 150ish yards; after average more than 150 each all year....and by the way: To know how good TA McLendon from Albemarle was, that same defense that stoned the Gates Co. running game....tried to stop TA and I heard they never tackled him to the ground the entire state championship game....he went for something like 275 yards and 7 TDs in a 66-28 win...on every carry, either they blew the whistle when the forward progress was stopped and he wasn't tackled, or he went out of bounds, or he scored...of course those Blue Dogs had a little passing game up their sleeve to burn you if you played too much Cover 0 or Cover 1 but still...

is ND a very big team?
You mean number of guys on the roster? (Yes, about 76)....Or you mean size of the linemen? (Yes, very dominant, kept South Granville's usually very disruptive defensive front four in check all night)....when they came out before the game to stretch and get loose, one of the guys standing beside me said, "Look, it's the Clemson offensive and defensive line coming out to warm up"

The first missed FG was a very high snap and timing messed up, happened a few times this year.

Haven't seen every north game this year but it was the best game I have seen QB play.
Yes, I saw some of him on film and knew he was a good game manager but by the 2nd Quarter, I said either these guys have been sandbagging on the film we saw and/or Ledford HAD TO BE stealing signs to slow up this bunch and hold them 22 in the first meeting and 17 in the second meeting

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Ledford was stealing signals, and it was a rivalry game so you never know how tough/easy it will be...

They're probably still pissed because if not for us they would have been a contender. Not saying they'd win but they had a better chance than any other Ledford team ever had. Don't forget, they beat Kings Mountain last year in 3A and were very confident heading into this season with a lot of returning starters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT