ADVERTISEMENT

#1 Hendersonville vs #4 Shelby(Updated: Ticket Info)

Or lets put it this way, I would like to see a replay of the game and see if the officiating was as bad as we all thought it was. I usually don't go that route as usually if one team gets a call the other gets one later and it kind of evens out. Also I'm pretty dumb so we have that to factor in as well.

sat with the heritage crowd at Newton several years ago and they know how to have fun! Never forget the milk cartons with rocks and stuff for noise makers ha ha ha
Shelby Lion, was the guy Mountie talks about there? A shirtless guy wearing overalls and beating a hubcap with a stick. I sure was lookin forward to seeing that guy last night. I’m beginning to think that Mountie was pullin my leg.

Or lets put it this way, I would like to see a replay of the game and see if the officiating was as bad as we all thought it was. I usually don't go that route as usually if one team gets a call the other gets one later and it kind of evens out. Also I'm pretty dumb so we have that to factor in as well.
Excuses I’ve heard since last nights loss.
1. Wilbanks not up to Shelby standards
2. We don’t have personnel to run the 3-4 defense.
3. Kids not smart enough to run the 3-4 defense.
4. Bad calls cost us the game.
5. Coaches abandoned the running game.

Is it possible the talent/intelligence level wasn’t as strong as previous years. All programs go through lean times. Nothing to be ashamed about.

XChamp, Shelby fans just aren’t as accustomed to loosing as the rest of us. Excuses don’t fly for us because we have to use them much too often. At Shelby they loose so infrequently everyone but you accepts the excuses. You need to get on board! 🙄

Just saw a video on Youtube that clearly show the pick in the first quarter was a clean pick and his hands were no where near the receiver nor was his body it was a clean pick that gave the ball back to Hendersonville and they scored on that next possession. The holding call where #3 for Shelby ran a touchdown that was called back for holding there was clearing no holding. The pass interference call on #19 on the Hendersonville sideline was a bogus call. Oh it was a catch that #5 made early in the 4th (refs did call pass interference but shorted us about 15 more yds we would have had with the catch). Oh and we have pass interference called on us in the first half where Hendersonville was at the 35 yd line and 15 yds would have put it at the 50. The refs marked it off down to the 47, that's 18 yds we are not in the NFL where it is a spot foul. Now with all that said the safety should have been not called and should have been a TD by Hendersonville. These refs were just bad all night. Go to Youtube and search it and watch for yourself (

FNL 🎥🏈| Hendersonville vs Shelby | Hendersonville shocks the reigning State Champions!)​

Just saw a video on Youtube that clearly show the pick in the first quarter was a clean pick and his hands were no where near the receiver nor was his body it was a clean pick that gave the ball back to Hendersonville and they scored on that next possession. The holding call where #3 for Shelby ran a touchdown that was called back for holding there was clearing no holding. The pass interference call on #19 on the Hendersonville sideline was a bogus call. Oh it was a catch that #5 made early in the 4th (refs did call pass interference but shorted us about 15 more yds we would have had with the catch). Oh and we have pass interference called on us in the first half where Hendersonville was at the 35 yd line and 15 yds would have put it at the 50. The refs marked it off down to the 47, that's 18 yds we are not in the NFL where it is a spot foul. Now with all that said the safety should have been not called and should have been a TD by Hendersonville. These refs were just bad all night. Go to Youtube and search it and watch for yourself (

FNL 🎥🏈| Hendersonville vs Shelby | Hendersonville shocks the reigning State Champions!)​

Shelby shouldn't have allowed this game to stay close. I think Hendersonville had a great gameplan and lots of athletes, but our coaching staff cost us this game. I don't agree with the talk of our talent level being down. The coaches just didn't put them in the right positions.. In a normal year Shelby wins the game by 14, and i'll stand by that. Good luck hendersonville the rest of the way.

The holding on the Intereption was called way before the Interception. It was about 7 yards down the field while he was jamming him. He did let go but not before 5 yards

Shelby shouldn't have allowed this game to stay close. I think Hendersonville had a great gameplan and lots of athletes, but our coaching staff cost us this game. I don't agree with the talk of our talent level being down. The coaches just didn't put them in the right positions.. In a normal year Shelby wins the game by 14, and i'll stand by that. Good luck hendersonville the rest of the way.
You would think Shelby lost by 50 the way our folks are upset about this. I expect this falls team to be way better. Alot of guys are returning, hopefully we look back on this as learning less. We better change that 3-4 defense though, and quick. We Don't have the linebackers for it, period!

Reactions: dogs79
Shelby Lion, was the guy Mountie talks about there? A shirtless guy wearing overalls and beating a hubcap with a stick. I sure was lookin forward to seeing that guy last night. I’m beginning to think that Mountie was pullin my leg.
He wasn’t pulling your leg

I watched that game. That heritage team was one of the all time best. Tarboro just had an nfl guy and a lineman that went to Duke. They were tough. The stories are true about those fans. Was a fun time except when they played my mountaineers

Reactions: 97Cougar
The holding on the Intereption was called way before the Interception. It was about 7 yards down the field while he was jamming him. He did let go but not before 5 yards
Nope you can't see that on the video and I was at at 45 degree angle to the play looking over the sideline refs head that threw the flag after he had intercepted it and was being tackled.

Refs had missed calls on both sides...let it go....yall had wayyyy too many turnovers but none of yall are talking about that. Your qbbran for his life ALL NIGHT...yall aren't talking about that and we just made more plays when they were needed. That's how the game works. You win some you lose some. Shelby had a great team. Hendo was the better team Friday.

Reactions: Lawn12Dog
Congrats to Hendersonville. I enjoy seeing special groups for schools that are in the conversation of the best ever at that school. A few years ago when Hibriten ended Shelby's 4 year state championship run in the western final (and went on to win the state), it was actually really fun to watch the elation from the Hibriten fans, players, and coaches as they knew they had something special that they had never had before.

This Hendersonville group, several of the football players were on the state runner-up basketball team that hung in there with an incredible Farmville Central team...perhaps they can also make a run to the football championship and this could be an all-time year to remember.

For Shelby, if I really had to second guess anything, after seeing the stats from the game....Shelby QB threw 55 passes, which is 12 more than the all-time high in over 100 years of football...the previous record for passing attempts was 43...The QB was also sacked 7 times, so really that could be considered 62 passing attempts in a game that was virtually a 2 to 9 point game all night.

Shelby only ran the ball 7 times (6 for #3 and 1 for #22)...and they had an 80-yard TD run called back for holding...so they obviously had the ability to run against Hendersonville's defense if they committed to the run.

Hard to win a game when you are 62:7 pass to run in a close game. I know Shelby was trying to hit the "big play" that would give them the lead, etc., but it just didn't happen and the emotion of the game took over.

Still a conference championship season and a run to the Elite 8 of the state 2A, all with replacing over 15 starters (9 on offense), having their defensive leader (Hollifield) leave in December to enroll at Va Tech, having many injuries to key players, introducing a new Defensive Coordinator and scheme (after previous DC got head coaching job at Freedom HS), bringing in a transfer QB that had to learn a complex offense without any time to do so due to COVID-19 eliminating summer practices, 7-on-7 tournaments, etc., and having a hard fan base to please that was on their back all year...not too bad.

6 state championships in 8 years is pretty special, and let's all take a deep breath and gear up to support a pretty darn good team coming back in the Fall...

good post...and wow on the 55 pass attempts....sounds like a season worth of passes from Shelby from teams of years ago.....even we (Reidsville) don't throw it around like that.................

Add me to a huge helping of crow on this one. Most of the posters on this board were probably not yet born the last time Shelby lost a playoff game when they were favored to win. Major shout out and hats off to the Hendersonville Bearcats. This is a game their fans can remember for their lifetimes.
Wasn’t Shelby favored in the playoffs against Madison back in 2012? I know Madison had a higher seed but who really thought they’d actually beat Shelby?

Wasn’t Shelby favored in the playoffs against Madison back in 2012? I know Madison had a higher seed but who really thought they’d actually beat Shelby?
You are correct. Was the upset of the century. Was there and witnessed it as well.

Reactions: Maiden Creek

Shelby was the favorite , but they had lost several games.

Shelby was the favorite , but they had lost several games.
Shelby was not a championship caliber team in 2012, but did have a couple of key players out for the Madison
game. I do not remember who was favored, but Shelby did not play well.

Shelby needs to relax. You guys have been with the program enough to know that you'll be state championship caliber this fall and will probably win....again...like always. Let somebody else get a chance for once lmao

Shelby needs to relax. You guys have been with the program enough to know that you'll be state championship caliber this fall and will probably win....again...like always. Let somebody else get a chance for once lmao
Bro not hard win state when you can recruit whole county

You are correct. Was the upset of the century. Was there and witnessed it as well.
Doubt we were favorites, Madison was I think a number 2 seed and they just physically beat us up that night. East Lincoln was loaded that year and neither of us was going to beat them, went and watched Madison/EL game and they were very good.

One of you Cleveland County guys as much as admitted on another thread earlier in the season that your kids jump from school to school. They change schools for more playing time, for better chance at a state title or for who knows what other reason. There is nothing wrong with supporting you programs but at least be honest with yourselves about those impact players, they do change schools. I’m not hating on you, I’m just telling you what has been stated by one of your own. 👀. So I guess technically your don’t recruit.

Reactions: Player2020
Everyone knows you guys recruit, your qb from South Carolina
People from Mtn Heritage probably should keep quite about about transfers form other counties. Burleson boys, Vernelson boys from Mitchell, not to mention those from Madison. Not saying Joey recruited but multiple players from other counties contributed to their recent success. It happens all over, kids wanna play where they get more time and for a solid program or if their coach is a family member.

Reactions: Lion Attack
Let's be straight, we get kids from others schools, 1st of all to, our Qb, was from Cleveland Co. Played at Crest 9th grade. Parents moved due to job, but didn't like it after 2 year, came back and he wanted to play at Shelby cause he played spread in SC and we ran spread.
Now let's be straight, we don't go after kids or offer anything, ill admit they may want to play in our system or just wanna ring chase, but I know for fact there's no giving money, or paying rent etc.

One of you Cleveland County guys as much as admitted on another thread earlier in the season that your kids jump from school to school. They change schools for more playing time, for better chance at a state title or for who knows what other reason. There is nothing wrong with supporting you programs but at least be honest with yourselves about those impact players, they do change schools. I’m not hating on you, I’m just telling you what has been stated by one of your own. 👀. So I guess technically your don’t recruit.

One of your own was my roommate at WCU summer of 1975. He told he could have attended East Gaston, Ashbrook, or South Point. He was starting LB, so I guess he was not technically recruited. What goes around comes around.

Last edited:
Reactions: shelbyfan1
I expect he was a Red Raider the entire time though. He’d probably say he’s a Red Raider today. I believe you.

It happens everywhere, I know for a fact the Concord’s star running back in 2015 & 2016 had to drive past Mt Pleasant High School to get to Concord. His Mom was offered and took a job in the cafeteria at Concord to help him make the decisions to move out of Mt’s district .

It don’t make it right, in my mind. Others including you, I suppose, believe players should be able to go wher they want. I don’t, but like most things except race I tend to be in a he minority.

Eh, I say let them go, I don't want a kid representing Crest that doesn't appreciate the name or tradition on his shirt. Don't want ya, don't need ya.

I expect he was a Red Raider the entire time though. He’d probably say he’s a Red Raider today. I believe you.

It happens everywhere, I know for a fact the Concord’s star running back in 2015 & 2016 had to drive past Mt Pleasant High School to get to Concord. His Mom was offered and took a job in the cafeteria at Concord to help him make the decisions to move out of Mt’s district .

It don’t make it right, in my mind. Others including you, I suppose, believe players should be able to go wher they want. I don’t, but like most things except race I tend to be in a he minority.

I agree with you 100%. Rules are in place but spineless school board looks the other way in Cleveland county.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT