ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern 3A/4A

I think one of the best matchups in this conference will be Watauga and South.
I think Watauga offense will be too much for South. I stick with what I said
earlier, South will have a very hard time if they get behind. They have no real
playmaker. They are good at the ground pound game, but that only goes so far.

I think one of the best matchups in this conference will be Watauga and South.
I think Watauga offense will be too much for South. I stick with what I said
earlier, South will have a very hard time if they get behind. They have no real
playmaker. They are good at the ground pound game, but that only goes so far.
I agree. I believe Watauga learned that a ground game can only get you so far when they played West Charlotte and Mount Tabor back in the Western Finals. When you got up against a multi-dimensional team, just being able to run the ball is never enough. Freedom is really the only solid, multi-dimensional team that I've seen in the conference. Every year there are a few fans that say South has implemented a passing game, but 3 passes a game isn't a passing game.

South's pass game this year won't be much. They will rely even more on the run this year which is saying a lot. South just never has enough weapons to throw to even if they have a qb. Them and Watauga will be a good game as always. 4A on the line. It will be up to South's defense. If they can play them like last year they'll be OK. They won't outscore Watauga though so it can't be a shootout. But I'd take my chances on South's defense. They are coached year in and out as well as anyone.

I'm cutting up but at the same time telling the truth. Butch Carter (South) and Brandon Allen
(Freedom) both need serious help with the passing game.
Hey, I've been meaning to ask you, is BJ a two sport athlete or just with football because of his recruitment status? I know a lot of speedsters will sometimes run track so I wasn't sure.

Hey, I've been meaning to ask you, is BJ a two sport athlete or just with football because of his recruitment status? I know a lot of speedsters will sometimes run track so I wasn't sure.
Track star as well. Is also a very good basketball player but doesn't play.

South over Alexander 40-33. Neither team stopped the other all night. With the delay the game didn't end until around 12:30. South's offense clicked for the first time this year with 3 guys over 100. Wright was a couple of yards away from 200 and the FB had 5 TD's. The defense didn't play their assignments at all though. Just a shootout.

How did everybody do ?
Watauga played really well, up 34-0 with about 9 minutes left in the second quarter; Habich started changing personnel and running some plays that aren't in the normal game plan trying to get ready for ACR and conference play. Another 200 yard game for Suggs, he's got a little over 700 yards and 8 TDs in 3 games. Like I've always said, if Watauga were a team that runs up the score, they could of dropped 80 on Avery.

Doss after watching the game Friday the thing I noticed was Watauga didn't have a lot of players.This could hurt them come Conference play not much depth.Habich is a good coach. He could of scored at the end of the game but took a knee inside the 5.

Doss after watching the game Friday the thing I noticed was Watauga didn't have a lot of players.This could hurt them come Conference play not much depth.Habich is a good coach. He could of scored at the end of the game but took a knee inside the 5.
Ya, the roster is small. Many of the guys play both ways and special teams. He's a reputable coach as well. Smart guy, you have to respect his antics.

Doss this from goblueridge.net May be just coach talk.

"And I was impressed with Avery, the way their guys kept battling us in the second half. They never gave up. Coach (Jason) Phelps is doing a great job, especially since he arrived so late (in July). They played us pretty even in the second half. Plus, and this is no excuse, we're playing a lot of guys both ways, and we got tired. We don't play well when we're tired."

Doss this from goblueridge.net May be just coach talk.

"And I was impressed with Avery, the way their guys kept battling us in the second half. They never gave up. Coach (Jason) Phelps is doing a great job, especially since he arrived so late (in July). They played us pretty even in the second half. Plus, and this is no excuse, we're playing a lot of guys both ways, and we got tired. We don't play well when we're tired."
I'm not entirely sure. The Democrat says something completely different. I would say it's just a different approach to the same questions or could just be coach talk. They played just fine in both of the other games during the second half.

Anybody go to the South Caldwell game? Is Alexander Central's defense is as bad as it seems after week three? South Caldwell isn't exactly a scoring machine. Looks like another losing season for the Cougars. I thought given the returners on offense AC would be competitive in the NPC.

Anybody go to the South Caldwell game? Is Alexander Central's defense is as bad as it seems after week three? South Caldwell isn't exactly a scoring machine. Looks like another losing season for the Cougars. I thought given the returners on offense AC would be competitive in the NPC.
Godevilsgo, from what I saw week 1, AC's defense wears down about halftime and teams could score at will in the second half. They've got some good talent on defense and some big bodies, but the conditioning or stamina just isn't there. I don't know the scoring breakdown from the South game, but that's what I noticed from the game in Boone.

It's AC, they think they are better than they actually are, and when you are a one horse town, the local rag newspaper writes up the stories as if they are state champ contenders.

Reactions: Burkeforreal
In the NPC they'll prob beat down North Lincoln(looking like a one win team at best) an maybe compete against North Iredell an West Iredell.

I have watched Alexander Central get beat down so many times that I
expect them to lose, regardless of opponent.

Here is early predictions for NW3A/4A.

1. Freedom
2. South Caldwell
3. Watauga
4. Hibriten
5. Hickory
6. Foard
7. Patton
8 St Stephens

what do you think now?

id say
1.freedom
2.watauga
3.HIBRITEN
4.SOUTH
5.st.stephens
6.hickory
7.foard
8.patton

Newton 53- Hickory 28. Newton had two TDs called back late in the game as well and six penalties to keep it in check. This should have been a 67-21 blowout. Foard and Patton may be the only wins available for a struggling Tornado team.

Newton 53- Hickory 28. Newton had two TDs called back late in the game as well and six penalties to keep it in check. This should have been a 67-21 blowout. Foard and Patton may be the only wins available for a struggling Tornado team.
I thought Hickory would really struggle. New coach, new system, and minus several key players.
The biggest loss for Hickory was the transfer last year of L. Dickerson, followed by QB Crawford
and FB/LB Nick Dumaine to Freedom. Bring those 3 back to Hickory and you have a different team.

Hickory wil move on and be better for it. Hickory has more athletes in the stands than on the field. That needs to change. I thought Helms was the right coach to guide the Tornadoes and still feel that way.

Hickory wil move on and be better for it. Hickory has more athletes in the stands than on the field. That needs to change. I thought Helms was the right coach to guide the Tornadoes and still feel that way.
if he
Hickory is an interesting school. Helms has been successful where athletes
are. He did nothing at east Burke and a couple of other schools with mediocre
talent. With that being said, Hickory has the type of athletes that Helms does
well with. I really thought he would help turn that program around.

I'm sorry, but Helms has some serious issues regarding his temperament, he's really needs some serious counseling.

Not sure if anyone in this conference will challenge us this year. Early on
I thought South and Watauga both could play with us,,, not so sure now.
The only team on our schedule that matches up athletically is Shelby.
It would be nice if this conference was stronger to better prepare us for playoffs.
Not counting South or Watauga totally out, just not seeing them develop as
earlier thought.

Wautga played with ACR for a half they will play with freedom.
Much respect for Watauga. They are 3-1, however the 3 wins came against teams
that were combined 0-7. They did play well against ACR for 2 quarters but it takes
all 4 to beat an ACR. I think Watauga will have to play very smart football for 4 quarters
to have a chance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT