1. Freedom
2. South Caldwell
3. Watauga
4. Hibriten
5. Hickory
6. Foard
7. Patton
8 St Stephens

St. Stephens may fool some of us this year.Coach Hicks has a talented QB returning and his defense is a year older coming in.

St. Stephens may fool some of us this year.Coach Hicks has a talented QB returning and his defense is a year older coming in.
I hope so Cheerduck. It would be nice to see them get a couple of conference wins.
I really think Watauga, Hibriten, and Hickory could go either way at this point. Watauga
returns QB Dobbins, TE, and some decent receivers and solid coaching. Hibriten
got Freedom Defensive Coordinator and has some speed in key positions. QB returns
and is decent. Hickory, IMO will be rebuilding with new coach and several key
players leaving. Hickory is a lot like Freedom, they reload with top athletes every other
year or so and will be fine. South is South. Big, strong and not real fast. They will do
what they do every year. If South gets behind anyone can beat them. Sometimes easier
said than done. Expect them to 4 yd you to death.

Reactions: shelbyfan1
It will be interesting to see the offensive formations for Freedom with the transfers from Hickory in the lineup. Question is can two guys vying for fame co-exist in the same backfield? It should be an interesting season up in Morganton.

It will be interesting to see the offensive formations for Freedom with the transfers from Hickory in the lineup. Question is can two guys vying for fame co-exist in the same backfield? It should be an interesting season up in Morganton.
Really need an OC to help manage the level of athletes we have this year. This was missing
last year and is an area of concern this year as well. I hear Coach Allen has reached out
for help on Offense during the off season which is Great!! Defense will be our issue.
With the loss of several key players and coaches, this is a concern. Discipline could be
better but hopefully this gets better by August.

we barely have 7 skill players on offense to do a 7 on 7 how is it looking across town

I'm waiting to see some footage on Hickory. That team went through some major adversity last year. Hickory could be much improved or they could be stuck in the mud. I have thought for awhile that Hickory isn't committed to a strong football team, and specifically I'm referring to the school's administration.

Here is early predictions for NW3A/4A.

1. Freedom
2. South Caldwell
3. Watauga
4. Hibriten
5. Hickory
6. Foard
7. Patton
8 St Stephens
These standings look fairly accurate. I can't see anyone catching Freedom with their talented offense. South Caldwell always seems to have a solid team, even through injures. Watauga is a wildcard this year IMO. I've seen some talented kids wanting to make a difference, so we'll see. 4-7, I don't see anyone that challenges the upper portion of the conference. Hoping for a solid year from Watauga considering this is Dobbins' last year.

These standings look fairly accurate. I can't see anyone catching Freedom with their talented offense. South Caldwell always seems to have a solid team, even through injures. Watauga is a wildcard this year IMO. I've seen some talented kids wanting to make a difference, so we'll see. 4-7, I don't see anyone that challenges the upper portion of the conference. Hoping for a solid year from Watauga considering this is Dobbins' last year.
Good to hear from ya Doss. I read where Dobbins and the TE both recd offers from
Wingate. I have heard of several of your players being in various camps over the
last few weeks and looking pretty good.

Reactions: us_doss11
Good to hear from ya Doss. I read where Dobbins and the TE both recd offers from
Wingate. I have heard of several of your players being in various camps over the
last few weeks and looking pretty good.
Good to be back in the football forums, been a while. I would imagine that depending on the season these young athletes have, the offers may increase. I was happy to see Emmons commit early on so he can focus on academics and athletics without the recruiting distractions. Love to see the young kids get big opportunities. How's the Hickory transfer doing in Morganton?

I read on here that the Def. Coord. from Freedom went to Hibriten. He was supposedly a really good one. Who is the new DC for Freedom? Is Allen a defensive guy. I thought when he was at N. Bunc. and Tuscola he was strictly an offense coach.

Also who is the new coach at Hickory?

I read on here that the Def. Coord. from Freedom went to Hibriten. He was supposedly a really good one. Who is the new DC for Freedom? Is Allen a defensive guy. I thought when he was at N. Bunc. and Tuscola he was strictly an offense coach.

Also who is the new coach at Hickory?

Allen Wittenberg is the new head coach at Hickory.Last year he was the head coach for Draughn. His father, Larry Wittenberg, was head coach at HHS from '85-'91 after 14 years as an assistant to Frank Barger.Allen is a '92 HHS graduate and has worked as an assistant at Foard,HHS and Patton for over 15 years. He will do a great job in directing our kids, in a positive way, through Tornado traditions.

Reactions: coondog8585
Good to be back in the football forums, been a while. I would imagine that depending on the season these young athletes have, the offers may increase. I was happy to see Emmons commit early on so he can focus on academics and athletics without the recruiting distractions. Love to see the young kids get big opportunities. How's the Hickory transfer doing in Morganton?
The QB is doing well. He is an athlete who brings a lot to the team.
As far as Emmons, he decommited to Georgia and now has Alabama as first choice.

Reactions: coondog8585
Def coordinator at freedom last year was good? Maybe against teams who dont pass
Considering very few teams in this area pass the football, defending the run
will handle 90% of what you face. We had one team really hurt us with the pass
and you base everything off that. Really Champ?

The QB is doing well. He is an athlete who brings a lot to the team.
As far as Emmons, he decommited to Georgia and now has Alabama as first choice.
I hadn't see his decommitment, that's big time for UGA and Emmons. Hope whatever decision he makes, it'll be the right one for him academically and athletically.

Patsfball with Emmons how much of a fractor is Tennessee in his recruitment.

We have 2 good replacements...ones a sr. Other will be soph.
Got about 5 different rec to go too...most of all offensive line back...do got to replace 4 on D line....we will compete again...

The new DC is a former asst at Tuscola but most recently at Central Cabarrus. One of
Allen's friends from the mountains. Don't know a lot about him.

NWC 3A/4A PRESEASON COACHES POLL

1. Freedom (7) 49

2. S Caldwell (1) 41

3. Hibriten 35

4. Watauga 33

5. St. Stephens 23

6. Hickory 17

7. Foard 15

8. Patton 11

(First-place votes in parentheses)

Cheerduck, looks like you may be on to something with St Stephens... coaches
must feel the same.

Cheerduck, looks like you may be on to something with St Stephens... coaches
must feel the same.
I'm not sure that St. Stephens can pull themselves from the bottom of the conference this season. I'd have to see a great deal of improvement for them to move up that far.

Doss how are things looking up on the hill? Had dinner in Boone a few weeks
back and thought of you.

GDG you are crazy man. All I saw was a bunch of senior citizens - where did
you eat at?

Took my son back to ASU for move in day. 5 hours on campus. Young beauty was dressed to kill with long blonde hair. The sky opened up with a gushing rain while she walked with no umbrella. I asked my wife to stop and give her a ride but the backseat was full and my wife said she wasn't sitting on my lap. Oh well so much for trying to be a Good Samaritan.

Took my son back to ASU for move in day. 5 hours on campus. Young beauty was dressed to kill with long blonde hair. The sky opened up with a gushing rain while she walked with no umbrella. I asked my wife to stop and give her a ride but the backseat was full and my wife said she wasn't sitting on my lap. Oh well so much for trying to be a Good Samaritan.
lol. Over at Dan'l Boone Inn the best looking thing was the ham biscuits.

Reactions: Godevilsgo
Doss how are things looking up on the hill? Had dinner in Boone a few weeks
back and thought of you.
Well, the scenery is always great come mid-August. As for football, Watauga may have some struggles with the line on both sides of the ball. Skill positions look great though.

If it really matters, Foard is pitiful this year. Not sure if they win a game.
Harper should have bolted after a 6 win season.

I agree about Foard. Was at the Burke Jamboree and got to see them, Freedom, and South Caldwell. EB dominated Foard the entire round then South waxed them pretty good. I don't think Foard has much of a fight for anyone this year. Freedom didn't have much of a test as they went against West when I saw them. West may be improved but not a matchup for Freedom. They will get their test against Shelby soon enough. Only a couple more days!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT