ADVERTISEMENT

Madison vs. Reidsville

That’s an idea, I suppose…🤔
There's not enough schools in the state to send out 64 x 7 ... right now 256 in four brackets (minus a couple of byes in 1-A) ... with 32 x 7 that would be 224 in the brackets, certainly eliminating some of the bottom feeders. Also, it would cut the season back by a week. It's too long right now in my opinion.

There's not enough schools in the state to send out 64 x 7 ... right now 256 in four brackets (minus a couple of byes in 1-A) ... with 32 x 7 that would be 224 in the brackets, certainly eliminating some of the bottom feeders. Also, it would cut the season back by a week. It's too long right now in my opinion.
Oh, I wasn’t disagreeing. I was pondering that as a possible solution. I don’t have a problem with the current system but it does seem like your idea might be workable.

High Point Andrews almost made the Mid-State 3-0 in the first round, but they dropped a 34-32 game to North Stanley.

Reactions: tarheel fan1
Their not going to pass a rule like that because about half the teams don’t meet that criteria and the NCHSAA isn’t going to effectively delete a week of playoffs and the money that brings in. Likewise, going to 7 classes would lead to even MORE playoff teams needed.

I admit it’s weird but there’s always been multiple teams with bad/losing records in the playoffs (at least in the past 4 decades that I know of). It’s not really a big deal, basically a solution looking for a problem to solve.
It's most definitely about money instead of rewarding excellence. It's become a money grab disguised as a playoff system.

Reactions: Rammer16 and jumbob
Their not going to pass a rule like that because about half the teams don’t meet that criteria and the NCHSAA isn’t going to effectively delete a week of playoffs and the money that brings in. Likewise, going to 7 classes would lead to even MORE playoff teams needed.

I admit it’s weird but there’s always been multiple teams with bad/losing records in the playoffs (at least in the past 4 decades that I know of). It’s not really a big deal, basically a solution looking for a problem

I admit it’s weird but there’s always been multiple teams with bad/losing records in the playoffs (at least in the past 4 decades that I know of). It’s not really a big deal, basically a solution looking for a problem to solve.
As with most things in the world we live in, its about money. Even so, a lot of Reidsville fans stayed home with the colder weather and prospects of a blowout and I'm sure some Madison fans didn't make the trip.

What year was it when the Rams clobbered Western Alamance early in the season, but were stunned in the playoffs? May not have been a conference foe at the time though. I need to check my records.

What year was it when the Rams clobbered Western Alamance early in the season, but were stunned in the playoffs? May not have been a conference foe at the time though. I need to check my records.

That was 2004. One reason I hate playing teams twice.

Lee now has 33 TD passes on the season and 105 in career, only two behind Kyle Pinnix, who is in the state's all-time top 15 with 107.

Reactions: Rammer16
Some stats:
Al Lee 8 of 10 for 258 yards and 3 TDs
Cam Jones 3 receptions, 118 yards, 2 TDs
Kendre Harrison 3 receptions, 42 yards
Dionte Neal 1 reception, 69 yards; 2-point conversion passes to Harrison, Jones and Paul Widerman
JV Call-up Diontay Vaneaton had a 2-point conversion catch from Johnniyus Sharpe after Sharpe's 21 yard TD run

Total yards:
Reidsville 434, Madison 62
First Downs:
Reidsville 16, Madison 7 (5 on penalties)
Offensive plays:
Reidsville 30, Madison 39 (running clock entire second half)
Penalties/Yards:
Reidsville 12 for 75, Madison 5 for 44

The only score Southwest Randolph had last night against West Stokes was a kickoff return for TD. Hopefully they don't kick it deep against Reidsville.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
That happened to Mt Airy also. I think in '69.

Last edited:
Everytime I read about Madison playing, the complaints come back on this board that they play dirty and have poor sportsmanship. Seen it with Reidsville, and even Shelby complaints on here years ago.
Madison showed themselves to be good sports throughout the game. Getting beat like they were, it would have been easy for tempers to flare. There was plenty of hands pulling pkayers up,, helmet taps, and pats on the back. I watched for it because of this pist.

I’m a man of my word. I counted 17 fans on the side of Madison. I gave them credit for 30 early in week. So no the parents nor the girlfriends came to support.

Reactions: Rammer16
I’m a man of my word. I counted 17 fans on the side of Madison. I gave them credit for 30 early in week. So no the parents nor the girlfriends came to support.
I counted as many as 29 at one time. I could've been off as it's hard to do from the other side but I'll give the benefit of the doubt.

Probably smallest crowd of year for Reidsville as well … combination of cool weather, inflated ticket prices and anticipation of mismatch.

Rams fans were treated to show of WR talent and speed of Neal, Jones and Harrison. And that’s without Flippen catching one although he was team’s leading rusher with two flanker runs.

I don't believe in pacipation trophy's but my lord poor Madison having to travel that far to get the living hell beat out of them .
The only positive i can see is, it was Madison and not my Cougars.
Bullshit aside it takes alot of guts to play knowing your going to get a butt whooping. I've been there. got a lot of respect for these kids that play on teams that never seen to get any better to not quit says alot about these young men .
Good luck to the Rams, it's going to get interesting in a couple weeks..

Why have they not forfeited this game yet? I'd be ashamed to waste my school's resources by taking my team over 3 hours to get whooped, knowing that we didn't truly earn a playoff spot (split conference technicality). If the game was less than an hour away with our unearned playoff spot, then sure. Or if the game was 3 hours away, but we earned the playoff spot, then ok. But knowing that we didn't do anything to be here, PLUS having to travel so far away just to play a game in which our players will be embarrassed.....ain't no way.

Long ways to ride to catch an L and get a cold sammich for the ride back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT